FFVII Original-to-Remake Appreciation Thread.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » FFVII Original-to-Remake Appreciation Thread.
FFVII Original-to-Remake Appreciation Thread.
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 13:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted to make this thread to see what people appreciate the most about the original game, and what would they most like to see in the Remake.

So I'm going to lay some ground rules down. Firstly I ask everyone to post ONE thing (per post) they want to see in the Remake (whether it's exactly the same or if you want to some tweaks, explain that), and you can only post again after someone else has followed, to avoid spam.

Also, secondly, mentioning the battle system is against the rules. We only want to talk about the rest of the game here. If you want to talk about the pros-and-cons of turn-based combat versus real-time combat, go to the other thread.

Thirdly, this is an appreciation thread, so only true love for FFVII is allowed. No hate please. I love FFVII, I love the game so damn much it bugs me when people talk down about it. It bugs me when people won't even give the game a chance because "the graphics suck!". So I'm looking to connect with other FFVII lovers here. I have so many things I want to see in the Remake, but I'll start us off with one example.

World Map & Highwind

One of the biggest things for me is the chance to traverse the World Map. FFVII was the first world map I ever traveled across, and back in 1997, it was a huge thing. Nowadays we don't see World Maps anymore, instead they are split up in to zones, and generally you can use an airship to "warp" to other zones (I hated FFX when I got the airship and couldn't fly it), but that's not enough!

I want to be able to physically pilot the Highwind, land the Highwind, watch Cloud & Chocobo depart from the Highwind, and hell why not, give that ship some firepower! And the World Map .. imagine it in today's graphics, extended, and in glorious detail. Being able to land and "zone" into Cosmo Canyon. Wouldn't it be great? I can clearly see why they would choose not to include a World Map like the one in the original, but hopefully they manage to do it. While they are at it, make the interior of the Highwind bigger, with a bigger room so you can store your favourite Chocobos.

And lastly, I want to be able to chase Ultima Weapon around the world map! Oh man, that would be epic.

[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-12-06 17:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Kylos made a good point that a new thread, free of FFVII hate posts, was needed so I've revived this thread.

It was requested I mention that the PS4 port is available on PSN for $10.87 until Dec 12th. This requires a search to find.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 17:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate it. All we want in here is FFVII love. Whatever you love about the original, and the remake, I would like to hear it. I will ask Anna to lock this thread if people don't follow the rules stated in the OP. If any one particular person trolls here, I will report it. If you want to critique, moan, troll, or argue, go to the other thread.

Still waiting to see other things fans want to see in the Remake.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-06 17:23:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The grind fest for a set of master summons for everyone was sickly enjoyable. So many fights.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 17:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
The grind fest for a set of master summons for everyone was sickly enjoyable. So many fights.

So you want to see that in the remake?
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-12-06 17:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
More Yuffie...

...my first video game crush at age 10. Kinda want to see how her side quest (and date) plays out.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-12-06 17:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the one thing that people under appreciate from time to time is the story of FF7.
There is lot of subtlety about the plot which most people just shrug of as emo stuff.
I love the more darker tonnes of the game. It touches in some places that need to be pointed out a little bit more in the gaming world.

Biggest thing i can point out, is that the whole game has this whole theme of death, and accepting these mistakes and moving on from that. (I wish people could move on from that like many other things <_<). In that regard the game is extremely beautiful in terms of this, very revolutionary too.
It handled the topic with such care and love, which is why i appreciate the game so much.

Anyways this is prolly gonna be ignored.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 17:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
More Yuffie...

...my first video game crush at age 10. Kinda want to see how her side quest (and date) plays out.

It's a good one, and one I was going to post myself. I think that Vincent and Yuffie should be brought in to the party without fail. In the original you could easily miss them. I don't think anyone would complain about that, they are both popular characters. They could easily expand the Wutai storyline, and possibly add more floors to the tower. :)
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 17:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
I think the one thing that people under appreciate from time to time is the story of FF7.
There is lot of subtlety about the plot which most people just shrug of as emo stuff.
I love the more darker tonnes of the game. It touches in some places that need to be pointed out a little bit more in the gaming world.

Biggest thing i can point out, is that the whole game has this whole theme of death, and accepting these mistakes and moving on from that. (I wish people could move on from that like many other things <_<). In that regard the game is extremely beautiful in terms of this, very revolutionary too.
It handled the topic with such care and love, which is why i appreciate the game so much.

Anyways this is prolly gonna be ignored.

Not at all. I completely agree, the theme of death hit home with me right away. There's so much reference to death, and absolute destruction of the planet. I don't understand how anyone can call it "emo" or anything like that, they obviously don't understand the game and the storyline. It's just labeling for the sake of labeling.

FFVII used death in a huge way, and fans still talk about the death of Aeris. In fact, since that moment at the end of the first disc, no death in any Final Fantasy has come close to the impact hers did. Of course, SE tried to replicate it, but it was so nicely done at a time when games simply didn't do that. She wasn't coming back, ever. Even if you leveled her up and used her every time you had, she wasn't coming back. Fans tried many ways to "resurrect" her, to no avail.

It spawned all the stories about Aeris supposedly not dying at that point in the game, but she was originally meant to die in the Northern Crater, as there's proof she had extra dialogue. There's nothing emo about a game which provokes so much emotion by using the theme of death. Another moment which always reminds me of death is the Midgar Zolom. On the first disc, you're chasing something which can do this.

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 17:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope the Shinra mansion is creepy (the music playing is great and I'm looking forward to the remastered version), Sephiroth torching the town was a great scene. Always enjoyed Shinra headquarters when you follow the blood trail too
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-12-06 17:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
More Yuffie...

It's a good one, and one I was going to post myself. I think that Vincent and Yuffie should be brought in to the party without fail. In the original you could easily miss them. I don't think anyone would complain about that, they are both popular characters. They could easily expand the Wutai storyline, and possibly add more floors to the tower. :)
I've never actually played through without them. I have started a file just to date Yuffie. I have no regrets. >.>
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 17:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
I hope the Shinra mansion is creepy (the music playing is great and I'm looking forward to the remastered version), Sephiroth torching the town was a great scene. Always enjoyed Shinra headquarters when you follow the blood trail too

Oh jeez. Didn't think about that. The mansion could be creepier and bigger (I played Crisis Core and I liked how they recreated it), and the part at Shinra mansion .. should be so creepy you can taste the blood trail.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 17:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Creeped me out when I was a kid lol, the music is unsettling (I miss Uematsu) and the use of blood in the headquarters was great instead of just putting 'dead' people everywhere. Made it much more dramatic.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 17:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

My favourite mini-game in FFVII used to be the motorbike chase. But when I got a little older, I tried my luck with the snowboarding, and found out it's easily the biggest and most detailed mini-game in FFVII.

I spent so many hours trying to get perfect scores .. and the coolest thing was if you had Tifa or Cid in the party, you could snowboard with them too. I hope it returns in the Remake.
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-12-06 17:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh jeez. Didn't think about that. The mansion could be creepier and bigger (I played Crisis Core and I liked how they recreated it), and the part at Shinra mansion .. should be so creepy you can taste the blood trail.

Rather global concept, but the character development was rather huge and I hope they either develop that further or do it credit this time around. Although I always hated Barrett.

Plus it would be nice to see Tifa as something other than walking Boobs for a change.
 Siren.Novadragon
Server: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2015-12-06 17:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This guy (Carry Armor) made you rage at times. IF you didn't come equipped with protection magics, this machine will beat you to a pulp.

It's the boss just before you hijack a submarine.

Got to admit, Comet was a beast. Comet was anti boss.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 17:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

What they did in this trailer at 0:25 0:30 0:43 gives me hope that Those Chosen by the Planet will be just as creepy

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 17:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »

Rather global concept, but the character development was rather huge and I hope they either develop that further or do it credit this time around. Although I always hated Barrett.

Plus it would be nice to see Tifa as something other than walking Boobs for a change.

You know what I hate? When people talk down about a character because they have big boobs. I mean, I'm playing Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain, and Quiet has her cleavage out 24/7, I've bonded with her to the point she's always flirting with me. But I have to be honest, her body is not why I like her. I like her because she's a damn good sniper, and she actually cares about Snake and Mother Base.

It's the same for Tifa. My first reaction of her was "whoa, big boobs", but by the end of FFVII I had completely forgotten about that. I liked Tifa for Tifa. Objectivity is only a thing if the person playing makes it a thing. I didn't like the fact they made Tifa smaller in Advent Children, not because I wanted to see boobs .. but because it's not Tifa. And it's the same for Quiet, if they ever remade MGSV and changed Quiet to have smaller boobs, it wouldn't be Quiet anymore.

So I'm hoping they keep Tifa as she was intended. Big breasted, but most importantly, a lovable character who cares for everyone and keeps Cloud and Barrett from killing each other. Also Tifa saves Cloud from himself.

Siren.Novadragon
Server: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2015-12-06 17:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Tifa was actually the strongest character in the game.

Barrett only beat her if you had Lucky 7s on Ungurmax. There's Cait Sith, but his Game Over is a 50% chance, it's impossible to accurately land it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 17:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Novadragon said: »
This guy (Carry Armor) made you rage at times. IF you didn't come equipped with protection magics, this machine will beat you to a pulp.

It's the boss just before you hijack a submarine.

Got to admit, Comet was a beast. Comet was anti boss.

Oh that thing. Hope it's just as dangerous in the remake. :)
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 18:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Question time. We all know Chocobos in FFVII had special abilities on the World Map. This was nixed in FFVIII, but made a return in FFIX, with different coloured chocobos. My two questions are, should they make the Gold Chocobo fly like they could on FFIX? And also, would they be able to traverse the sea? (Hard to imagine that happening on a moving ocean)
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 18:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

They could make them fly but keep the kotr materia on an island you can only reach by flying (so you still have to breed it all the way). That way you can still traverse the ocean but you can't access the materia on the island. Or just scrap the ocean part and do shallow areas like in IX.

Would be Yellow > Light blue > Red > Gold types then (but with 7's colors)
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 18:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

They could make them fly but keep the kotr materia on an island you can only reach by flying (so you still have to breed it all the way). That way you can still traverse the ocean but you can't access the materia on the island. Or just scrap the ocean part and do shallow areas like in IX.

Would be Yellow > Light blue > Red > Gold types then (but with 7's colors)

What about other colours we see in the Choco races? The ones that spring to mind are: Purple, Red, Dark Blue and White.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 18:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Several colors for each chocobo 'tier'?
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-12-06 18:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »

I mean thats half of what made the game so special. It played what it had really well. There wasn't a single character you couldn't get attached to by the time you finished the whole thing. The whole plot and lore of the game is so freaking expansive! I honestly believe very little games these days regardless of what genre fills the boots that FF7 did. Final Fantasy 7 is freaking HUGE story wise, theres just so much detail to it all.

If you also consider that Hironobu Sakaguchi was dealing with the loss of his mother during the game production. It totally is reflected within the game. I believe he has gone on to say that the original title is a reflection of him trying to accept his loss, and learning to cope. This reflects SO we in Aerith's case and Zack as well. How you see this all take this huge toll on Cloud, to the extremes of he chooses to take on this fake identity (Zack's), and how Aerith's death then propels Cloud to fight on.

I also like the fact that as a "Bad Guy", Sepheiroth is absolutely terrifying from scenes like that. He doesn't come across like other video game title villans as wimpy, or putting half assed effort into it all. From the get go, he is basically proving how strong he is from scenes like the one you posted above. He isn't just Bad. He is basically Hell Incarnate. And they do such a good job in portraying this. Looking at that image and you can truly see that he would destroy the planet if it wasn't for the adventures of the main characters stopping this madness.

RAGH im so rilled up about this game. Thanks man!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 18:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Several colors for each chocobo 'tier'?

They could make it harder to get the extra World Map abilities. I know my dad loved Choco breeding, he spent many hours on that. I remember filling my stables with Gold chocos at one point. It wasn't hard to do, so they could easily expand on it, add more colours, new abilities, but ultimately keep the Gold Chocobo the best, and able to reach Knights Of The Round. I hope they don't make KOTR available any other way; everyone enjoys FFVII chocobos, without the incentive there would be no point.
 Asura.Regicide
Server: Asura
user: voiceless
By Asura.Regicide 2015-12-06 18:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Even tho FF7 original was so amazing to its time i still dont know if i can *** trust FF15 Gameplay/ Kingdom hearts for An original Turn based RPG for real... the game is dead for me im just going to *** stick with ff7 mods for now.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-06 18:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Regicide said: »
Even tho FF7 original was so amazing to its time i still dont know if i can *** trust FF15 Gameplay/ Kingdom hearts for An original Turn based RPG for real... the game is dead for me im just going to *** stick with ff7 mods for now.

Breaking the rules of the OP. No hate, no talking about the battle system. Only love.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 18:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

They could make the breeding system a bit more complicated and expand on chocobo racing. I haven't done it much but I think the XIV system has quite a lot of abilities you can use (but should be easier to steer the chocobo in the remake)
First Page 2 3 4 5