users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Steal and Feint
Steal and Feint
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-08-27 23:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Saw this discussion in ls chat yesterday.

Wiki says
"use of feint before steal seems to up the successrate" (something like that, I can't get on wiki from work. Of course wiki is user submitted so you could put that doing an emote on a treasure chest ups the drops on a BCNM and ppl will believe it.)

So, 1 thf said something like, eva has nothing to do with steal. It's either success or fail.

Other thf said it's calculated between your levels and his belief was lowering the eva to something closer to yours increases the success rate.

I tried to do a search and couldn't find anything anywhere. (kinda curious since I'm leveling thf) Anyone know of any testing on the matter?
 Kujata.Malicfayt
Server: Kujata
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-08-28 00:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

wear Steal+ if you want to increase your chances of stealing whatever your trying to steal. Feint lowers evasion Not the Monsters grip on his Gold beastcoin.

Feint apparently is -50% evasion, for physically striking the mob. This effect lasts 1 minute and decays over time.

In closing Feint to 5/5 merits is VERY worthwhile.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-08-28 07:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

* Success rate is dependent on user's level in comparison with the enemy's level.
* Certain enemy classes are easier to steal from than others.
* Usage of this ability from behind the target seems to slightly enhance its success rate.
* Usage of this ability will add a small amount of enmity to the user.
* Usage of this ability will cause a disengaged enemy to engage the user.
* Usage of this ability in Ballista will allow the user to steal petras.
* Usage of the ability Feint and then Steal seems to increase the success rate.
* Mob HP seems to greatly affect success rate. ie: lower hp may yield higher success chance

From the wiki. Just curious if there are any tests for this stuff or if it's just someone spewing at the mouth.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-08-28 07:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Antonioklaus said:
Quote:

* Success rate is dependent on user's level in comparison with the enemy's level.
* Usage of this ability from behind the target seems to slightly enhance its success rate.
* Mob HP seems to greatly affect success rate. ie: lower hp may yield higher success chance

From the wiki. Just curious if there are any tests for this stuff or if it's just someone spewing at the mouth.

I havent done any tests, and I really wouldnt bother doing them. but my own experience from stealing backs up the info from wiki.
 Asura.Patriclis
Server: Asura
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2009-08-28 10:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 feint is a good thing to have anyways so just merit it to 5/5, then it'll always be in time with your steal, then it really won't matter either way.
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-28 11:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

My own experiences on Darkmoose lead me to believe the level difference part is very true, although if it's a straight level comparison or if it's a comparison of some other stat(s) that vary with level is not known to me.

However, I know that at THF 75, I can pretty much steal Mythril Beastcoins almost every time I try, while stealing Gold is still a lot more hit or miss. When I was a lower level, stealing Mythril coins was a lot less certain, but stealing Silver was almost 100%.

Like someone else said, get as much +Steal as you can and macro it in for your Steals. Thief Kote and Rogue's Ring are both pretty cheap last I checked, and when you're solo farming, maintaining the latent on the ring is not that hard.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-08-29 20:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
Antonioklaus said:
Quote:

I havent done any tests, and I really wouldnt bother doing them. but my own experience from stealing backs up the info from wiki.

so you are agreeing that feint effects steal which is the topic of discussion?
 Fairy.Kaoz
Server: Fairy
user: Loswa
By Fairy.Kaoz 2009-08-29 23:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree with the whole feint+steal works. Ive noticed the lower hp part tho in my case. Personal opinion tho. Its just like TH all we have is rumors and make believes with very little confirmed info from SE. Hell, I remember when they used to say INT helps steal.
[+]
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-08-29 23:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaoz said:
I disagree with the whole feint+steal works. Ive noticed the lower hp part tho in my case. Personal opinion tho. Its just like TH all we have is rumors and make believes with very little confirmed info from SE. Hell, I remember when they used to say INT helps steal.

Hey stupid! INT does help steal! Why do you think they put it on our AF hat? It's just so freaking obvious that your an idiot. XD

/sarcasm off

I have heard this rant so many times from thieves who refuse to wear emp. hairpin or anything better it just kills me. ><
[+]
 Fairy.Kaoz
user: Loswa
By Fairy.Kaoz 2009-08-30 00:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I remember that was the exact same reason why ppl kept saying INT was the mod for steal a couple years ago.

WTF!? why would THFs refuse to wear an emp pin? o.0
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-08-30 00:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

As useful as the wiki is the problem with wikis in general is that it only takes one opinionated moron to put something stupid on an otherwise accurate page. If you want some proof of this go check out the Tungi page's revision history and talk page.

Those noobs should know by now that it only works when you're wearing your Lifebelt Gloves.
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Server: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-08-30 03:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sammitch said:
As useful as the wiki is the problem with wikis in general is that it only takes one opinionated moron to put something stupid on an otherwise accurate page.

You'd be surprise by how zealous some of the ffxiclopedia moderator are lol... "unverified" stuff usually won't stay up for long. Some people there take it very seriously! I guess it's a good thing. though. But I would guess they can't catch them all.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2009-09-23 22:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never heard anything like this. I'd be highly skeptical. But nothing prevents anyone from doing their own tests. I'd be more inclined to believe the mob HP one. Unfortunately unless someone has some data samples, a lot of what's there on wiki has to be doubted. I haven't seen any steal testing for awhile.
 Fairy.Vylandra
user: Vylandra1
By Fairy.Vylandra 2009-09-24 00:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

That's because there's hardly anything in the game worth carrying around the extra gear to steal. I pretty much only steal in dynamis or when I'm fighting mobs that carry gold beastcoins, and that's if I even remember to do that ><