FFVII Remake... It's Official! (Discussion)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24 25
By Draylo 2015-12-06 19:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it a cool thing to bash the VA of these games in English? I personally cannot stand JP VA, but I also don't speak JP nor hear it often at all. For people who speak English and hear it all the time how are these VA bad? I just don't get that criticism. I saw someone post something earlier about it but I couldn't find the post to quote it.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-06 19:32:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Erics said: »
I still love the game and plan to buy it but that doesnt mean you cannot be critical of what you expect/want in it.
***talking =/= constructive criticism.

Phoenix.Erics said: »
I Didnt know tumblr was leaking into other sites.
This line always cracks me up. People being 'upset' that people are 'upset' when they're being ***. Good times.

Nothing specifically aimed at you. Just an in general thing.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-06 19:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, I don't get the hard-on for JP voice acting unless it's absolutely leagues better in every way. And that usually means the english dub is like, BB English Dub bad.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Lenus
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-12-06 19:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

How many threads does the remake need;;

Also EN voices are bad, haven't you watched advent children
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 19:39:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't stand English dubs (if it's English from the start it's usually a lot better, I prefer original language with subs even if it's something I don't understand) and would like Japanese audio so the people who prefer it has the choice. They could make it a PSN only thing and charge a bit extra to make up for it.
By Draylo 2015-12-06 19:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Lenus said: »
How many threads does the remake need;;

Also EN voices are bad, haven't you watched advent children

Ah yeah it was your post. So since you are an expert on it, how are English voices "bad"? Like give us some examples from Advent Children?
By Draylo 2015-12-06 19:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
I can't stand English dubs (if it's English from the start it's usually a lot better, I prefer original language with subs even if it's something I don't understand) and would like Japanese audio so the people who prefer it has the choice. They could make it a PSN only thing and charge a bit extra to make up for it.

I don't mind having it an option for people who just love the JP voices for some strange reason but I just find the criticism hard to believe considering these are very good VA that are talented. This is what I think of typically when JP VA are so cherished:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Goku the screaming chipmunk.
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-06 19:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
***talking =/= constructive criticism.
***talking? most people seemed to get upset by either people wanting to keep it old combat style or upset by people saying they like the change and the old style "wouldnt work with these graphics" which is fine either way. Where were people just saying ff7 remake is bad and not offering their opinion of what would make it better?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-06 19:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Is it a cool thing to bash the VA of these games in English? I personally cannot stand JP VA, but I also don't speak JP nor hear it often at all. For people who speak English and hear it all the time how are these VA bad? I just don't get that criticism. I saw someone post something earlier about it but I couldn't find the post to quote it.

Eh, I haven't been impressed by the voice acting in many video games. Heck, there are even video games based on TV shows where the they use the same actors to do the voices and they still sound awful. I can't imagine that it's an English-only issue, but it's far easier to critique voice actors in your native language so I imagine that's part of why you always see people saying that the Japanese voice acting is soooo much better. I don't suffer from weeaboo syndrome and I don't think the Japanese voice actors are often all that great either, but that's just me.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 19:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem I have with jrpg dubs is they tend to sound fake (voice doesn't quite sound right), they don't sound like normal people. In wrpgs they generally don't do that and just sound like they're acting out the scene. SE has often used subpar voice actors though. It's much more noticeable in English and it can really ruin the game for many players. I'm fine with others liking the dub but I want the option to play in the original language and would gladly pay more for it. They can just make it PSN/Live only so they don't have to include it on a disc.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-06 19:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely correct.
Even in japanese the acting is often way overdone. You notice easily when talking to a real japanese person that they really speak with a different pattern. Hell, japanese people are notorious for sounding flat due to how their language works, the anime depiction is often a charicature. And the problem is similar in other countries dubbbing too.

Videogames imo suffer from a different problem: the dialogues are often discontinued, like if every sentence was on its own and they tend to lack fluidity.

Obviously this is generalizing, it's not always like this, but yeah.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 19:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Games like Mass Effect have great voice acting but they also have expensive ones lol
By Draylo 2015-12-06 19:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Where has SE used subpar voice actors? All the VA they use are standard in the industry and have worked on countless games. They reuse all the same people all the time for anime and games (which may be why you dislike them.) Which characters in SE games do you think don't sound like normal people? In the main titles they had voices in, 10 12 and 13, I'd say they did quite well. 12 had some kind of strange issue where everyone sounded like they were wearing a helmet but as far as vocal technique and expressing different emotions, I feel it was good.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-12-06 19:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The two Star Ocean games have had average (SO3) to horrible (SO4) voice actors. But the FF titles have all had pretty good voice actors, 12 was probably the weakest of the 3 titles, but that game had a lot of issues, positive and negative. I wasn't impressed with the voices in the 15 demo either.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-06 19:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately Tidus' laugh will forever remain sculpted in history as one of the most horrific moments in a videogame.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-12-06 19:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I never played the Star Ocean games so I can't comment on that, I think 14 had really bad VA though but mainly because of that terrible accent they all force into their dialogue.
 Lakshmi.Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-12-06 20:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Just my opinion, but I've watched anime in JP more than EN, when I did watch them with EN voices, they tend to sound off, or bad. Like their expressions don't fit the characters. I've found games like metal gear, where the VAs weren't bad at all, compared to EN VAs in other video games. But its just me.

Still not gonna make me dislike the game for what it is, but I do hope there is an option because they did do an option to swap music to the original soundtrack when fans bitched about FFX HD having remasters. But thats just me!
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 20:01:40
Link | Quote | Reply

12 had some of the best IMO (because it wasn't full of NA accents lol)
 Lakshmi.Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-12-06 20:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember Vanille? She would go from having an accent, to not having one.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 20:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Vanille was terrible, I liked the rest though. Hope was annoying as hell but that wasn't because of his voice.
By Draylo 2015-12-06 20:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I wasn't a fan of Vanille but I'm sure SE wanted her to have that accent like that for whatever reason.
By Draylo 2015-12-06 20:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-episod-1746564216

http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/586/final-fantasy-vii-remake-showcased-at-playstation-experience

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 6, 2015) - During this past weekend’s PlayStation Experience in San Francisco, SQUARE ENIX® debuted a new trailer for FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE, the full remake of the award-winning role-playing game, FINAL FANTASY VII. The new trailer features the first CG scenes as well as gameplay footage. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

What?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 20:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Inc 5 year wait per episode
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-12-06 20:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Just some blog on kotaku, doesn't mean anything. Don't believe any of it lol
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 20:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

IGN says the same thing

Quote:
Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy VII Remake will be released in multiple parts.

According to Square, Final Fantasy VII Remake will be "told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience."

No additional details were provided, including any kind of price or release timing for part one.

The Final Fantasy VII remake was first announced at E3 and we recently heard the original composer won't be involved.
By Draylo 2015-12-06 20:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I posted the second link, isn't that direct from SE?
 Sylph.Knala
Server: Sylph
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2015-12-06 20:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind having it an option for people who just love the JP voices for some strange reason but I just find the criticism hard to believe considering these are very good VA that are talented. This is what I think of typically when JP VA are so cherished:

Goku the screaming chipmunk.

Do you even understand why goku's voice sounds like that?

Seiyuka (aka Voice actors) is serious business over there, once you have a role you dont get replaced unless 1. you die or 2. decide you dont want to do it anymore.

Rewind back to original dragon ball, for young boys its often common for female seiyuka to fill in, that said goku has had the same voice actor in japan this entire time hence the high pitched voice (and IIRC she also did gohan's voice)

BTW that doesnt exactly excuse it in my book, but i at least respect the job security for seiyuka.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-12-06 20:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao

bet they're going to cut parts out. specific characters only playable for specific episodes, skipping overworld areas and dungeons to "streamline", etc.
 Shiva.Francisco
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2015-12-06 20:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

12 had some of the best IMO (because it wasn't full of NA accents lol)

Bergan's voice actor was incredible. Gabranth, Balthier, and Cid also fantastic.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-06 21:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Drace was good too
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 24 25