U.S. Government Recommends Lower Level Of Fluoride

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Government Recommends Lower Level of Fluoride
U.S. Government Recommends Lower Level of Fluoride
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-04-29 17:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
On a related anecdote, many years back I used to only ever drink soda, and any liquid I got from food was minimal. (Yes, I know that's not healthy.) A friend of mine told me that soda dehydrated people more than it hydrated them. No amount of me telling him that that was impossible because I'm not dead could convince him otherwise, because somebody told him, he believed it, he repeated it, and therefore the danger of being wrong was greater than the risk of defying logic.
A more accurate way to repeat what your friend was saying is: there is not enough water in soda pop to FULLY remove/digest the ingredients in the soda pop. the end result of this will make your internal organs work extra hard to remove any harmful/excess ingredients you ingest/produce.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-29 17:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
On a related anecdote, many years back I used to only ever drink soda, and any liquid I got from food was minimal. (Yes, I know that's not healthy.) A friend of mine told me that soda dehydrated people more than it hydrated them. No amount of me telling him that that was impossible because I'm not dead could convince him otherwise, because somebody told him, he believed it, he repeated it, and therefore the danger of being wrong was greater than the risk of defying logic.
A more accurate way to repeat what your friend was saying is: there is not enough water in soda pop to FULLY remove/digest the ingredients in the soda pop. the end result of this will make your internal organs work extra hard to remove any harmful/excess ingredients you ingest/produce.

Whether or not that's true, it certainly isn't what he was trying to say. Regardless, that was more of a sidetrack to the more pertinent conversation that we were having in here. Any rebuttals?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-04-29 17:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay... let's go back to 4th grade chem class for a moment shall we?

Sodium = explosively reactive with water
Chloride = poison
Sodium Chloride is salt... Literally table salt

Fluoride = Poison
Sodium = explosively reactive with water
Sodium Floride is NOT poison

Water Floridation is most often done using:
sodium fluoride (NaF)
fluorosilicic acid (H2SiF6)
sodium fluorosilicate (Na2SiF6)
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-04-29 17:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

there is not enough water in soda pop to FULLY remove/digest the ingredients in the soda pop
Wrong. Soda is sugar water with negligible flavorants that provide no nutrition and are essentially just flushed through our system.

Humans have evolved to love sugar more than almost anything else on Earth. Given a choice between cake and a ***, our instincts would probably opt for the former.

These myths about toxin buildup and other garbage have zero basis in science, but they've been rigorously tested by science and found to be baseless. If you want to spout this nonsense misinformation, do it with a peer-reviewed link.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-04-29 17:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
there is not enough water in soda pop to FULLY remove/digest the ingredients in the soda pop
Wrong. Soda is sugar water with negligible flavorants that provide no nutrition and are essentially just flushed through our system.

Humans have evolved to love sugar more than almost anything else on Earth. Given a choice between cake and a ***, our instincts would probably opt for the former.

These myths about toxin buildup and other garbage have zero basis in science, but they've been rigorously tested by science and found to be baseless. If you want to spout this nonsense misinformation, do it with a peer-reviewed link.

just because you love something doesn't mean it isn't killing you... the sugar is the primary culprit in soda pop. you need water to flush it out. insulin diabetes from too much indigestible sugar is just one of the many problems from inadequate intake of CLEAN WATER. your body requires clean water to function....
By Bloodrose 2015-04-29 17:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

There are people who live wholly healthy lives, and still develop diabetes.

It's actually been documented as a genetic defect that affects the pancreas's ability to provide insulin.

Get your facts straight.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-04-29 17:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, it's insulin created by the body that removes excessive amounts of sugar from the body, not water.

Edit: Additionally, Diabetes is a problem of too much blood sugar, not sugar itself. The body converts all kinds of sugars, natural and synthetic/processed into glucose, the majority of which we ingest comes from bread, fruits, and vegetables.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-29 18:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, can we get back to the nutrients in water? I want to know where this perfectly pure water is coming from.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-04-29 18:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

well it won't be coming from earth. Even heavily processed/refined water with additional Ozone (O3) in it, is still mineralized.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-04-29 18:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a family member who keeps repeating that nonsense, I just roll my eyes.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-29 21:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to know where this perfectly pure water is coming from.
The tears of an anti-fluoride arguer who gets "educated" on the realities of life.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-04-29 21:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

just because you love something doesn't mean it isn't killing you...
You mean like water?

I mean, above and beyond drowning (or dying of thirst), it is very possible to be poisoned by molecularly-pure dihydrogen-monoxide.

Any more hyperbolic nonsense claims to make?

Also, can we get back to the nutrients in water? I want to know where this perfectly pure water is coming from.
I can buy perfectly pure water in my grocery store for like a dollar a jug. It tastes like ***, too.

For those unaware, I'm talking about distilled water. The distillation process means there's basically nothing in the water. If you leave the jug out in sunlight for a few hours, some of the high-density polyethylene will break down and release some trace hydrocarbons, but that's about it and, again, relies on doing something profoundly stupid with your water.

Actually, I just double-checked and my suspicion was right: the lack of mineral deposits in distilled water can actually lead to illness and potential death. This nonsense of needing something molecularly-pure is for the birds. Except don't do that, because you'll kill the birds, too.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-04-29 21:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

absurd
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-04-29 21:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, demonstrable, provable, repeatable science is absurd.

No, wait, that's not the right word.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-04-29 21:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Actually, I just double-checked and my suspicion was right: the lack of mineral deposits in distilled water can actually lead to illness and potential death. This nonsense of needing something molecularly-pure is for the birds. Except don't do that, because you'll kill the birds, too.

I know it's recommended to be mix with formula, but that's interesting.

I also know that because the lack of minerals it acts as an insulator, not a conductor.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-04-29 21:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone probably made an analogy with seawater to your friend.

That someone didn't know that our bodies dealt with excess sugar and salt differently.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-29 21:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Distilled water still isn't completely pure, typically. Getting it to the point where it is "ultrapure" can be expensive and generally is only used for industrial purposes, definitely not for drinking.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-04-29 21:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »

It's actually been documented as a genetic defect that affects the pancreas's ability to provide insulin.

You're probably aware of that, but adopting a healthy lifestyle decreases the chances of developing type2 diabetes in your lifetime, by delaying it.

Sometimes by years, sometimes not by much. Everyone is different.

Also, it's insulin created by the body that removes excessive amounts of sugar from the body, not water.

From the blood. Glucosuria is pathological.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-04-29 22:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »

You're probably aware of that, but adopting a healthy lifestyle decreases the chances of developing type2 diabetes in your lifetime, by delaying it.

Sometimes by years, sometimes not by much. Everyone is different.

From the blood. Glucosuria is pathological.
Yes, I am aware of the varying types and degrees of diabetes.

And thank you for the correction.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2015-04-30 00:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

just because you love something doesn't mean it isn't killing you... the sugar is the primary culprit in soda pop. you need water to flush it out. insulin diabetes from too much indigestible sugar is just one of the many problems from inadequate intake of CLEAN WATER. your body requires clean water to function....

His example is actually perfectly suited for the only point that matters. Repeat after me: toxicity is in the dosage.

We've evolved to love sugar because it provided so much of something we needed in a time when what we needed was so scarce and/or required a significant amount of work to obtain. Now that thing that we need, particularly as it pertains to this form, is so unprecedentedly available that it's actually quite easy to kill ourselves with it. Surprise motherfucking surprise- something ordinarily biologically benign is harmful in too large/frequent a dose.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-04-30 01:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »

His example is actually perfectly suited for the only point that matters. Repeat after me: toxicity is in the dosage.

We've evolved to love sugar because it provided so much of something we needed in a time when what we needed was so scarce and/or required a significant amount of work to obtain. Now that thing that we need, particularly as it pertains to this form, is so unprecedentedly available that it's actually quite easy to kill ourselves with it. Surprise motherfucking surprise- something ordinarily biologically benign is harmful in too large/frequent a dose.

I agree frequent doses through multiple sources that contain fluoride is toxic and damages our bodies over time.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-04-30 02:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Great! Now somebody just needs to prove it. Otherwise, it's speculation brought about by paranoia.
Agreed. I haven't stopped drinking fluoridated water or using fluoridated toothpaste, and don't plan to change my ways anytime soon. On the other hand though, this could be the asbestos of our time. Another brilliant idea from a previous generation that isn't so great afterall.
this is a great example of a widely used substance that was thought to be harmless for a very long time until data could be compiled to show a link to its exposure and illness.
So, let's ban it based on speculation? Anything else you want to ban because you think it might be bad? I'm sure if you allow a certain flower head that power, you would find your life a whole lot worse.
no need for name calling... and this is not speculation, there is evidence that poisoning is bad for you, people having been posting it, you can also look it up for your self. no one can improve pure water by adding poison to it. pure water is the best water you can drink so why would you be OK with anything less?

No, pure water isn't the best water that you can drink. Most drinking water contains minerals that your body needs. I can guarantee that you have never drank 100% pure H2O in your life.

mineral rich water, aka hard water, is not good for your internal organs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3775162/
Spoiler: you cannot survive on water alone
where did I say that?
Did you actually read the link, or just the abstract? Because it is far from conclusive, either for increased or decreased morbidity. It's pretty much a series of "it's situational".

It really doesn't support your claims.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-04-30 02:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Whether or not that's true, it certainly isn't what he was trying to say. Regardless, that was more of a sidetrack to the more pertinent conversation that we were having in here. Any rebuttals?
From what I recall, most of those discussions have to do with diuretic effects of caffiene, which was previously thought to be stronger than it is.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-04-30 02:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

insulin diabetes from too much indigestible sugar
Eh? I'm not a biologist/biochemist/doctor, but I'm fairly certain it isn't indigestible polysaccharides or oligosaccharides that cause diabetes.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2015-04-30 08:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Lordgrim said: »

I agree frequent doses through multiple sources that contain fluoride is toxic and damages our bodies over time.

Okay, now prove it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2015-04-30 08:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
insulin diabetes from too much indigestible sugar
Eh? I'm not a biologist/biochemist/doctor, but I'm fairly certain it isn't indigestible polysaccharides or oligosaccharides that cause diabetes.

If it can't trigger an insulin response, it can't cause diabetes.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-30 08:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, now prove it.

He believes it. To him that's worth more than a million scientific studies.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-30 08:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, now prove it.

He believes it. To him that's worth more than a million scientific studies.

Oh yea I believe it more than you believe it ! Belief debate !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 08:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, now prove it.

He watches YouTube videos on it. To him that's worth more than a million scientific studies.
ftfy.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 10:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

And your point is...what again?

That we should strive to be more like Vietnam, Peru, and Serbia?

I thought you said you loved your country, why are you trying to change it to a 3rd world country? Well, other than economically that is.
loving your country and believing your country is superior to all others is not the same thing...
How many people died from fluoride poisoning again?

this has already been stated:

you need a large dose to die directly from toxicity. it's the slow damage to internal organs over time that are the silent killer going unnoticed until more data has been compiled and reviewed like it has been lately to put these factors into light.

The long term effects of exposure to ultra small amounts of fluoride is pretty inconclusive.

There are some opinions over time that exposure to small amounts of "bad things" over a lifetime is generally unhealthy, there are other opinions that suggest that small exposure to "bad things" is more beneficial because your body adapts it's immune system to dealing with it.

Either way, the area of study is hardly settled, and I hate to break it to you, but it likely won't be before anyone actually dies from long term micro exposure to fluoride.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9