Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 110 111 112 ... 136 137 138
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-05-27 17:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

XD. Too bad it was MDT and not PDT but still. These are pretty old actually. But Trying on Odyssean helm as well sounds good... Could also get phalanx+5, and that would have better HP+ than my valorous mask.

I'm still stuck trying to finish my RUN's Phalanx+ set though.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-05-27 22:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »

XD. Too bad it was MDT and not PDT but still. These are pretty old actually. But Trying on Odyssean helm as well sounds good... Could also get phalanx+5, and that would have better HP+ than my valorous mask.

Nice! At least there's confirmation the DM Augment does go up to +10. Highest I've managed to get is +9 on Valorous Hose and Odyssean Helm individually. I think I'll put together a shield skill+ build and see what improvements I can make.
 Asura.Cambion
Server: Asura
user: Cambion
By Asura.Cambion 2021-05-28 01:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Could also get phalanx+5, and that would have better HP+ than my valorous mask.

I've been trying for 2 weeks straight and haven't seen Phalanx +x a single time yet. :(
 Cerberus.Dekar
Server: Cerberus
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2021-05-28 17:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I finally managed to get +5 on a Valorous head and a Odyssean body. Makes up for the utter trash I've had the last few Dark Matter campaigns.
 Asura.Solara
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2021-05-30 21:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying to figure out the best sword to use while working towards Burtgang.

I currently have:
Brilliance (middling augs but willing to farm more)
Nixxer
Sakpata
Excalibur
Malignance
Naegling

If they were far and away better than the other options I could scrounge up cash for Cabal./Moral, but I'd rather put that towards Alexandrite/Swart.

TIA
By Draylo 2021-05-30 23:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Naegling/blurred Shield for easier stuff and Sakpata otherwise.
 Cerberus.Castien
By Cerberus.Castien 2021-05-31 07:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can DPS and tank such as omen mobs or maybe some Job point farming, I agree with Draylo. I suggest grab the Cabal. Sword, doesnt cost much and the HP boost helps alot for your casting set. Before I puchased the Cabal. I used Malignance. Even a well augmented Brilliance I found wasnt that great anymore. Excalibur doesnt really shine until rank 15. Ssakpata I have no experience with tanking but the phalanx + is awesome and it has useful stats
 Shiva.Humpo
Server: Shiva
user: Humpo
By Shiva.Humpo 2021-05-31 08:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Naegling probably best bet as draylo said.
Malig and Excal probably good options also depending on what you are doing, but probably won't shine in DPS.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-05-31 10:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I found an interesting little post from the Leaguemili JP blog, and learned something I didn't know about the 1200 JP PLD gift.

So, am I the only one who thought that PLD's 1200 JP gift increased per spike reprisal damage? I was always annoyed by this because it seemed counterproductive as it made it harder to maintain reprisal.

As it turns out the JP version is phrased a bit differently.
"Total amount of damage counterattacked by React + 20%"
So it was actually an increase to the Reprisal dmg dealt cap. <,<; This really could have been phrased more clearly. Just adding the word 'total' in the english version would have made it very clear to me at least.

That said... with the removal of the Reprisal dmg dealt cap last update, PLD now has a 1200JP gift that does exactly... nothing.

The JP post goes over this and talks about how the 1200 JP gift is often the highlight of the job's gifts, and how PLD now needs a new gift. And what kind of gifts we might expect.

This is really something that should have been changed on that same update that removed the reprisal dmg cap. But I'm getting the feeling that SE just completely forgot. So basically, we need to go remind them.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-05-31 12:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I think SE completely forgot about PLD JP gifts in general, just looking at what PLD ended up with.
By Ruaumoko 2021-06-03 04:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

1200 Job Point Gift Adjustment

Quote:
In light of the changes we recently made to Revival, we have adjusted the effect of the 1,200 point paladin gift to Cure potency. This should bolster paladins’ front line healing capability while helping them to grab more enmity.

"Revival" is probably a typo for Reprisal but that sounds very promising; like seriously promising. Cure IV is held back as an Enmity tool because it lacks baseline Enmity like Cure V and Cure VI, sounds like this 1200 Gift adjustment is going to give all PLD Cure spells a degree of baseline Enmity.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-06-03 04:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought Revival was a typo for Reprisal?
That seemed quite obvious to me. Was I wrong?

The changes they gave to Reprisal last month made the reprisal-related 1200 gift useless. So they of course changed that Gift into some Curepotency.
I'm pretty sure that's what they meant with "Revival".
By SimonSes 2021-06-03 04:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
sounds like this 1200 Gift adjustment is going to give all PLD Cure spells a degree of baseline Enmity.

I think you are being too optimistic. Its probably just literally Cure potency and what they meant is that you will be able to get more hate, because you will cure for more (or with higher enmity+ in gear if you swap cure potency gear to enmity gear).
 Asura.Jinbe
By Asura.Jinbe 2021-06-03 06:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Ruaumoko said: »
sounds like this 1200 Gift adjustment is going to give all PLD Cure spells a degree of baseline Enmity.

I think you are being too optimistic. Its probably just literally Cure potency and what they meant is that you will be able to get more hate, because you will cure for more (or with higher enmity+ in gear if you swap cure potency gear to enmity gear).
yea i think its just cure potency "i wish more enmity" but as you said we can swap some cure potency gears for enmity which also a good option
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2021-06-03 06:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup just looks like it'll probably just end up being more enmity available because you can use less cure pot. Still it's nice and better than the old 1200 even before the reprisal buff.

Although it might also be like the WHM gift. Isn't that 'cure power' even though it's written as potency?
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-06-10 03:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, It's not what I would have asked for, but at least they made it decently potent.

Link
Quote:
The following job has undergone adjustments.

Paladin
The Gift Reprisal effect has been changed.

Pre-adjustment → Post-adjustment
Reprisal Effect → Cure Potency Bonus
Increases damage reflected by Reprisal by 20%. → Increases amount healed by Cure spells by 50.
So basically Cure power+ just like WHM. This is cool in that it directly increases the amount cured, but doesn't change how you gear at all on PLD, and doesn't provide any additional leeway in our sets.

When they first announced what they were going to do I grabbed some pre-change samples for simple comparison. Mostly cause I didn't want to have to math it out later.

So, some before an after naked and in various cure sets with majesty up and down. All the non-naked sets have cure+50%~ and capped cure received.
Code
+----------+---------+------+------+-----+-------+
| Set      | Majesty | Pre  | Post | dif | %dif  |
| None     | Yes     | 685  | 747  | 62  | 8.30% |
| None     | No      | 548  | 598  | 50  | 8.36% |
| HP-SIRD  | Yes     | 1328 | 1441 | 113 | 7.84% |
| HP-SIRD  | No      | 1136 | 1236 | 100 | 8.09% |
| HP       | Yes     | 1326 | 1439 | 113 | 7.85% |
| HP       | No      | 1136 | 1233 | 97  | 7.87% |
| Normal   | Yes     | 1314 | 1428 | 114 | 7.98% |
| Normal   | No      | 1127 | 1224 | 97  | 7.92% |
| Max Cure | Yes     | 1375 | 1492 | 117 | 7.84% |
| Max Cure | No      | 1181 | 1279 | 98  | 7.66% |
As the naked and non-majesty set shows this is directly +50 to the base amount cured. Which is then modified by cure+/II and cure received.

I feel like PLD can cure quite a lot now.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-16 18:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So it was a couple pages back. But that info on having at least +1 actual element resist was great info.

I swapped out a good neck and just started full timing warders for centurio and haven't been blasted for 4k damage since. (not while on pld the info just came from pld) haven't changed anything else and the difference is night and day.

Had never thought about it, as it's only +15 and was already stacking like every possible magic- but those random full blast aga5's and T6's aren't randomly blowing my face off with that one little change.
By Markimoise 2021-06-26 13:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for a savage blade set I'm barely breaking 7k at times in Dynamis D?
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-06-26 13:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 380443

If you have Nyame Path B, it would replace anything here.
Valorous and Odyssean are generally interchangeable. Aim for WSD + STR/MND + Acc/Atk.
There are a number of rings that are really close to each other. Epaminonda's Ring can go in either of those slots for instance.

Edit: Capped attack situations, Sakpata gear also can replace anything here.
By Taint 2021-06-26 13:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD is more likely attack starved. Relic+3 is good for those situations and can help keep your HP within a modest range of your TP/Tanking set.
By Slowforever 2021-07-02 08:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

what combat situation(s) makes aeonic shield worth using? Just hit 50k beads, and am trying to decide what mythic and aeonic to make next. Pld seems interesting. Do I need Ochain since reprisal gives me max block?
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-07-02 10:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Slowforever said: »
what combat situation(s) makes aeonic shield worth using? Just hit 50k beads, and am trying to decide what mythic and aeonic to make next. Pld seems interesting. Do I need Ochain since reprisal gives me max block?
I use Srivatsa for casting protect, and mass pulling where everything is hitting me in the *** anyway. There might be a time to use it for the enmity+, but I've never found myself doing that so far.
 Cerberus.Castien
By Cerberus.Castien 2021-07-02 10:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ochain is not necessary anymore, still really nice to have from my experience. I dont have the experience with the aeonic shield, but combined with the SU4/SU5 weapon, its a huge boost to HP and defense. Plus a nice enmity bonus. I have tanked all content with priwen and aegis and been fine. I have no experience with ochain though. I recommend asking someone like Martel though for final opinion.
 Shiva.Ariaum
Server: Shiva
user: Ariaum
By Shiva.Ariaum 2021-07-02 10:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ochain - Best for anything hitting you from the front physical.

Aegis - Best for eating magic damage of any kind.

Srivatsa - Best any time you can't use a shield, back tanking not caring about blocking or not being able to. Best shield for protect now.

Priwen - Nice all around shield that's easy to get and rivals Ochain in block rate if you can maintain reprisal. Good option for protect also if you have one.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ragingmonkey
user: Merritt95
By Ragnarok.Ragingmonkey 2021-07-02 10:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Do I need Ochain since reprisal gives me max block?

I would make one. It costs nothing to make a lvl 90 Ochain and it's nice to not have to rely on reprisal at all times.
By Seraphpdh 2021-07-02 10:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Srivatsa for casting protect, and mass pulling where everything is hitting me in the *** anyway. There might be a time to use it for the enmity+, but I've never found myself doing that so far.
What Martel said. Also, I've found using it on the [D] Sandy Wave 2 boss is also nice due to its use of that 'avoidance down' aura below 50% which means I cannot block anyway.
[+]
By Slowforever 2021-07-02 12:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

you say when casting protect, so I am assuming the defence from the shield stays on you after you swap it off? thats why you use the shield during protect?
 Carbuncle.Ared
Server: Carbuncle
user: dracoth
By Carbuncle.Ared 2021-07-02 12:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

They updated protect in a recent update where your defense at the time of casting impacts the amount of defense that the spell provides. This means using a higher defense rating shield when you cast protect will give a higher (permanent while the spell is on) increase - it doesn't change when you switch shields later. Think the difference between enspell I and enpell II damage, for instance - the calculation is done at cast, not per hit. So, cast in your highest defense gear for a better benefit.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-07-02 13:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not your defense total, it's specifically the defense on the shield affecting the Protect potency.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-07-02 13:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The protect changes are the result of a PLD trait SE added.
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Shield_Barrier
It just adds the Def value of your shield at the time of cast to the protect buff.

So 150 def on Srivatsa adds that amount to your protect if you cast while wearing it. So 370 def. Factor in PLD's potency received gift, and you get 407 def. 417 with sheltered ring.

It's enough to be fairly significant in Sheol C where Defense actually counts for something.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 110 111 112 ... 136 137 138