Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Elemental Siphon
Elemental Siphon
By Zoltar 2014-11-11 09:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Putting together a set for siphon, just want to make sure I'm making it right:

1) Caller's Pigaches +2, Conveyance Cape (both +siphon)
2) Stack lots of SMN Skill

Am I missing anything else here for gear?

Does +enhancing magic skill help?

What about Twilight Cape?
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2014-11-11 09:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Only smn magic skill and gear that enhances elemental siphon then theres also the weather of the zone you are in and the day. Anything that enhances weather or day bonuses doesn't work for elemental siphon though.
[+]
By Zoltar 2014-11-11 10:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

So if elemental obis don't help, is it safe to assume that twilight cape won't help?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-11 10:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

obis won't help. It's not like siphon gets resisted on day/weather bonus.
 Lakshmi.Fobby
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fobby
By Lakshmi.Fobby 2014-11-11 10:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

obi's are useless, with empy+1, esper stone +1, conveyance cape, and tatsu. sitagoromo, max smn skill is the goal. Cimmerian sash is what I use for waist
[+]
By Zoltar 2014-11-11 11:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Fobby said: »
obi's are useless, with empy+1, esper stone +1, conveyance cape, and tatsu. sitagoromo, max smn skill is the goal. Cimmerian sash is what I use for waist

Thanks! Didn't know about Esper Stone +1 :-)
 Ragnarok.Garota
Server: Ragnarok
user: Garota
By Ragnarok.Garota 2014-11-12 09:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It came as a surprise to me that Chatoyant Staff is better than a Kirin's Pole with SMN+12 when there's a double weather bonus. (Same goes for day/weather and day/double weather.)
By Acacia 2014-11-12 12:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 330608
By FaeQueenCory 2014-11-12 13:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Acacia said: »
Only thing I do different is Gifted Earring instead of summoning earring (45MP v 3skill, all that skill won't help you when you have no max MP to fill... Of which skill gives 1:1) and Caller's Doublet +2 (2 less MP returned, but 60 more MP available to be filled... Plus it's +1 inventory since Caller's+2>>>>>>Convoker's+1 for BPs and will probably have up to 20 skill on it come iLv empy).
 Carbuncle.Papesse
Server: Carbuncle
user: Papesse
By Carbuncle.Papesse 2014-11-12 13:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Zodiac Ring is better than Globidonta Ring and count toward the 40% bonus cap (cap is not 35%) but doesn't work on Lightsday and Darksday.
If you really care about Elemental Siphon you will need the set Acacia posted with 4 variations based on the Day/Weather (Keraunos+Zodiac Ring, Chatoyant Staff+Globidonta Ring, Keraunos+Globidonta Ring, Chatoyant Staff+Zodiac Ring).
Conveyance Cape is superior to Twilight Cape.
By Acacia 2014-11-12 14:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool, I had no idea that the weather/day bonus effects on those would help Elemental Siphon as well.

FaeQueenCory said: »
Only thing I do different is Gifted Earring instead of summoning earring (45MP v 3skill, all that skill won't help you when you have no max MP to fill... Of which skill gives 1:1) and Caller's Doublet +2 (2 less MP returned, but 60 more MP available to be filled... Plus it's +1 inventory since Caller's+2>>>>>>Convoker's+1 for BPs and will probably have up to 20 skill on it come iLv empy).
Good point about the extra MP but that will also depend on how far down on MP you are at the time. But I don't understand why you keep saying that Caller's body is SO much better then Convoker's. An extra 10 accuracy is nothing when you have >1k accuracy. The difference between the two is negligible either way.
By Acacia 2014-11-12 14:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, I think I dropped my Zodiac Ring, is there any way to re-acquire it?
By Crevox 2014-11-13 07:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Dang, I wasn't aware Zodiac/Chatoyant worked on Elemental Siphon. Gonna have to pull the Chatoyant out of storage and tweak up the gearswap... yet another thing to fill my inventory, but yay...
 Bahamut.Shirai
Server: Bahamut
user: Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2014-11-13 07:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, wow.
Didn't know about the Zodiac Ring and Chatoyant bonuses working on Siphon, thanks!

[edit]
Chatoyant+Zodiac is less return than TumaFyrig+Zodiac (I lack the Keraunos at the moment)
Testing Further, I don't see Chatoyant doing anything, I am getting results from the Zodiac ring though.
By Creaucent Alazrin 2014-11-13 08:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Papesse said: »
Zodiac Ring is better than Globidonta Ring and count toward the 40% bonus cap (cap is not 35%) but doesn't work on Lightsday and Darksday.
If you really care about Elemental Siphon you will need the set Acacia posted with 4 variations based on the Day/Weather (Keraunos+Zodiac Ring, Chatoyant Staff+Globidonta Ring, Keraunos+Globidonta Ring, Chatoyant Staff+Zodiac Ring).

Chatoyant staff doesn't effect elemental siphon.
By Creaucent Alazrin 2014-11-13 09:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

3 skill is better than 45mp you just don't use elemental siphon till you have used enough of your mp for it to give you the maximum mp returned. Same with Anhar robe you should be using that was well since 2 extra skill.... use your brain for once.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kimora
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kimmy
By Quetzalcoatl.Kimora 2014-11-13 09:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Creaucent Alazrin said: »
Carbuncle.Papesse said: »

Chatoyant staff doesn't effect elemental siphon.

You must use it when matching weather, not day
 Bahamut.Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2014-11-13 11:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kimora said: »
You must use it when matching weather, not day

If someone is willing to share Gearswap rules for this, it would be much appreciated.
Because I know how to edit, not how to make. :)
By Acacia 2014-11-13 13:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Something like this in your precast should do:
Code
if spell.name == 'Elemental Siphon' then
    equip(sets.precast.elemental_siphon)
    if world.weather_element == pet.element then
        equip({main='Chatoyant Staff'})
    end
    if world.day_element == pet.element then
        equip({rring='Zodiac Ring'})
    end
end

Just fix the first equip() line with your siphon set's name and in your siphon set just use Keraunos+Globidonta Ring.
[+]
 Bahamut.Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2014-11-13 13:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, although I'd fix the ring part :P

Added the rules to my own GS, let's see if it works.
By Acacia 2014-11-13 13:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shirai said: »
Thanks, although I'd fix the ring part :P

Added the rules to my own GS, let's see if it works.
Oops, good catch, haha.
 Bahamut.Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2014-11-13 14:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

They work, thanks.
Although now I have another problem, asked about that in the GS thread though.
By Acacia 2014-11-15 14:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Even though I dropped my Zodiac Ring long ago I was able to get it restored today :)
Normally item restore only works if you contact a GM within a week of dropping the item but the GM was able to confirm I had completed the quest by having me set the title you get from completing the quest.
By FaeQueenCory 2014-11-15 16:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Creaucent Alazrin said: »

3 skill is better than 45mp you just don't use elemental siphon till you have used enough of your mp for it to give you the maximum mp returned. Same with Anhar robe you should be using that was well since 2 extra skill.... use your brain for once.
2MP vs +2 inventory.
Yup. Clearly I am soooooooooo stupid for exchanging 2 MP for using a body that has use in all BPs and not just damaging ones.
Yup. Clearly that 2MP is worth the inventory space because SMN is the only job that anyone plays and therefore must devote 80/80 slots to it.

How about you try not being a giant flaming ***?
I realize it's hard cause Internet annonimity... But... Trying won't hurt you.
 Bahamut.Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2014-11-16 03:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You must have never heard of the Mog wardrobe, which basically gives you 160 usable slots to put gear in.
Apart from that, as others have said as well, you don't use Siphon until you at least have used the MP it fills.
If you don't, you are wasting it.
Using slots for extra MP is completely useless, especially since that MP disappears again when you unequip the item.

Oh, and FYI, my summoner currently uses 103 inventory slots devided over the 2 storage options.
More if meds and food come into play and I am still a long way from 100% efficiency.

As has been said to you in another thread: Stop forcing your beliefs on others, the TS asked for optimal options, not for poor man's choices and not for advice from someone that doesn't want to play a job at its optimum efficiency.
Once again, in a nutshell, the only things that matter for Elemental Siphon in order of importance:
- Stuff that enhances it (Which includes, as many of us have learned from this, some items that have been known to enhance weather and day bonuses.)
- Summoning Magic skill
[+]
By Acacia 2014-11-16 14:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

With the Elemental Siphon set I posted my max MP is 1612 but with my Avatar idle set my max MP is only 1555.