On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)
On Healing Hands - A Comprehensive WHM Guide (V2)
First Page 2 3 ... 95 96 97
 Asura.Nuance
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2020-04-25 10:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much. Only time I see my WHMs run anywhere near “low” on Mp anymore is when they have to spam arise out to the dds that got a little too in over their heads. Also side note su5 is amazing for the arise recast
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2020-04-25 10:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nuance said: »
Pretty much. Only time I see my WHMs run anywhere near “low” on Mp anymore is when they have to spam arise out to the dds that got a little too in over their heads. Also side note su5 is amazing for the arise recast
I can think of times like joing an Omen run and you are the only WHM and you got 8 DDs flying off the handle with no real tank.
By Laboob 2020-04-25 10:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
Asura.Nuance said: »
I can think of times like joing an Omen run and you are the only WHM and you got 8 DDs flying off the handle with no real tank.

The only times I find myself running out of MP are when:
1. I arise many multiple people.

2. I get multiple dispels in my party (such as in dynamis jeuno) and have to pro and shell repeatedly - This is especially true when im idling in meva or DT sets with no gear refresh to rely on apart from the inyanga set bonus. (I also never ask for refresh III if I have a RDM in my party so that sublimation can wake me up in the event of sleepga.)

Keep in mind that not only is Raetic Rod's penalty mitiagted by ebers pants, but it also allows you to cure 1 or 2 tiers lower than you regularly do without it.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2020-04-25 12:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
Am I understanding the argument properly for raetic rod+1 correctly?

Yes its costing more MP to cure, but since you are curing in Ebers Pants, I am getting more MP back because I am curing for more and its pretty much a wash as far as ripping your MP apart?
I've seen that argument made before and honestly, I think it's a flimsy one. Using Chatoyant, my very smallest Cure that I have a macro for (Cure III) rarely hits for full power anyway. My Cures are big enough, I don't need to pump 30% more MP into them to make them even bigger. If I need a bigger Cure, I'll just... you know... use a bigger Cure.

Another way to look at it is that it doesn't make your Cures bigger, it bumps them up half a tier. So you lose Cure 3 and 4, but you gain Cure 3.5 and 4.5. It's not objectively better or worse, just different, and I like the Cure tiers where they're at.

Yes it's almost impossible to run out of MP these days if you're smart, but I can't even remember the last time I needed to use Cure VI, let alone Divine Seal. So Raetic+1 to me is an almost insignificant drawback paired with a completely insignificant benefit. That's my 2 cents. I felt like someone needed to defend Chatoyant here because it's definitely more MP-efficient. :)
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-04-25 13:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44724/on-healing-hands-a-comprehensive-whm-guide-v2/45/#3331060

idk if i'm missing some major change since then, but when i ran the numbers before it wasn't really a small amount more mp:

Cure5 for 2112(chatoyant, aurora2) costs 122, gives back 126, costs 0.

Cure5 for 2193(raetic+1, aurora2) costs 155-157, gives back 131, costs 24-26(depends how they round it).

Cure6 for 2717(chatoyant, aurorastorm2) costs 205, gives back 163. Costs 42 mp.

Cure6 for 2783(raetic+1, aurora2) costs 264-266, gives back 166. Costs 98-100 mp(rounding).

(pretty sure that was on a souveran pld, so add a bit more mp cost to all since nobody uses pld any more)

then you have to consider that anytime you overcure, raetic will give more cureskin but not more mp return.. there are examples with aurorastorm1 around there somewhere too
[+]
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2020-04-25 16:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Laboob said: »
but it also allows you to cure 1 or 2 tiers lower than you regularly do without it.

That's a bit of a stretch
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-04-25 16:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
then you have to consider that anytime you overcure, raetic will give more cureskin but not more mp return.. there are examples with aurorastorm1 around there somewhere too

With 2000+ cures, you overcure almost always, unless you only use WHM in party with Mantra MNK or you really like to troll people and start healing only when they are at red HP :P
 Asura.Laboob
user: Laboob
By Asura.Laboob 2020-04-25 18:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arico said: »
Laboob said: »
but it also allows you to cure 1 or 2 tiers lower than you regularly do without it.

That's a bit of a stretch

Even if 2 tiers is a stretch, the fact that you're using 1 tier lower is enough to balance out the MP loss - if that is ever an issue.
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2020-04-27 11:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

1 tier is still a stretch.

It's not even half a tier for the higher Cures (3 and up), might not even be a quarter of a tier.

For the big cures, according to Thorny's testing above, it's only a 2-4% increase for 30% more MP.
[+]
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-04-27 12:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It's certainly not worth getting over other upgrades, but I do like it and consider is a nice upgrade over all for WHM. The only time I have MP issues in modern XI is when I have to spam Raise or Pro/Shell, rarely ever from cure bombing so the Rod's MP cost is mostly irrelevant. It is even more impactful on my other jobs since I don't generally have Aurorastorm up on them for Chatoyant Staff. I go from under 500 to over 600 on my cures as a Geo and Blm when using the Rod and my sets pre-Rod were max cure potency as well. It definitely makes me sad RDM isn't on Raetic Rod as well.
 Bahamut.Omegus
Server: Bahamut
user: Alphus
By Bahamut.Omegus 2020-05-07 03:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 372890
Fast Cast 77% (healing capped)
Quick Cast 10%
Capped fast cast on Gada and Chironic
Although this set doesn't cap FC on everything bar cures, i main this set for 2 reasons.
1 i don't like blinking between club/staff options
2 i like maintaining capped the capped Quick Cast
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-05-07 07:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omegus said: »
ItemSet 372890
Quick Cast 10%
Although this set doesn't cap FC on everything bar cures, i main this set for 2 reasons.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why would you want Quick Cast in a setup like that? That mean 10% of the time your cures are going off in fastcast gear rather than potency gear, no?? Or is gearswap smart enough to equip gear even when quick cast goes off.
 Siren.Attaxia
Server: Siren
user: Attaxia
By Siren.Attaxia 2020-05-07 07:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Botosi said: »
gearswap smart enough to equip gear even when quick cast goes off
Yup

Personally I still keep quickcast out of Cures because it *** with my timing, but gearswap will indeed swap in to the proper set when it does proc.
VIP
By Lili 2020-05-07 08:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omegus said: »
ItemSet 372890
Quick Cast 10%

Note a couple things:
- Gendewitha Gages have 7% FC (both NQ and HQ) pre-augments, are same jobs as Chironic, are much easier to get and save you a million Fern stones trying to get a max augment. You also want to have some anyway if you play bard.
- NQ Pinga Pants have 11% FC on them, tho it's debatable if they're worth the inventory slot (but then I'm also debating the usefulness of Kaykaus pants on whm in general)
- Cath Palug Hammer (which might or might not be impossible to get for some) has 7% FC, one more than max augment Gada, and also spares you from the misery of a million missed Fern Stone attempts. It only has whm and geo on it, but BLM SCH and SMN all should use an FC staff anyway, to not blink during precast :-P (and a case might be made to not swap weapons at all on BLM to leverage TP gain)
- Pope Hat is Best Hat
[+]
 Bahamut.Omegus
Server: Bahamut
user: Alphus
By Bahamut.Omegus 2020-05-07 08:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

As Attaxia pointed out with GS the QC and change into midcast works fine even in zones with alot of lag like dyna wave 3.
i never farmed the club although i probably should, and i forgot about the other 2 options.
I do like the legs as a fast recast option as well seen has pinga has 0 haste
By Afania 2020-05-07 08:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
1 tier is still a stretch.

It's not even half a tier for the higher Cures (3 and up), might not even be a quarter of a tier.

For the big cures, according to Thorny's testing above, it's only a 2-4% increase for 30% more MP.

If I remember correctly Thornys number with club werent using storm no?

I see club useful for its flexibility since your SJ isn't locked to SCH nor having to remember recasting storms all the time. You can even melee for mystic boon MP recharge and keep your TP when you fired off a cure in between. Its something a staff can't do.
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2020-05-07 09:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Thorny's numbers were both with Aurorastorm 2. (They're near the top of this page.)
By Jetackuu 2020-05-07 10:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Botosi said: »
Or is gearswap smart enough to equip gear even when quick cast goes off.

I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure both gear sets are sent in the same packet anyway, so it's moot.
By Afania 2020-05-07 10:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Does club beat staff without storm?
By SimonSes 2020-05-07 10:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Chatoyant Staff has it's special bonus only active with weather, so yeah club will beat staff without weather. Melee for mp is kinda a stretch tho. First of all you will be using several different weapon in midcast anyway (like Gada, Yagrush, Daybreak, Beneficus and maybe Gamb if you have it and doom is a problem), so you would need to gimp your support role and lock weapon to maintain TP. On the other hand, if you have time to melee on WHM, then you probably only throw some cure or -na from time to time, so optimizing cures and mp recovery is probably not any issue and you would want to optimize damage maybe and rather lock something like AM3 R15 Yagrush, so you can make better damage, still aoe -na and just throw more CureV or even VI if you need bigger cures, since you will have overload of MP anyway.
By Carlyle 2020-05-09 09:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a ridiculous amount of Gallantry and Hallmarks to spend this month and I've been trying to find a good guide (or at least a few examples) of how many Alaunus's Capes that I should be trying to build and what stats should be on each of them. I've written some of my initial notes below, but I've only been back to the game for two months following a 10 year+ hiatus, so any help you could provide would be very welcome (and appreciated).

• Cure Potency
    -Cure Potency +10%
    -MND +20
    -For the third stat...VIT?

• Melee/TP
    Not super experienced with this (or the HexaStrike one below) but...
    -Haste?
    -Double Attack?
    -Accuracy?
    -Dual Wield?
    -Critical Hit?
    -Store TP?

• HexaStrike
    -Weaponskill Damage+?
    -STR?
    -MND?
    -Attack?

• Idle
    -Regen?
    -PDT?
    -MDT?
    -Evasion?
    -Magic Evasion?

• Fast Cast/Magic Accuracy
    -Fast Cast
    -Magic Acc
    -Third stat?

There don't seem to be many great back pieces for WHM to choose from, so I wanna make sure to max as much as I can for my back slot with these pieces.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2020-05-09 11:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shouldnt need cure pot on cape should be at cap for cure pot I, go for haste
By Carlyle 2020-05-09 11:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

But if I get the potency through the cape doesn't that open up room for more options on other pieces RE: Healing Skill+ and Cure Pot II?
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-05-09 11:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Carlyle said: »
But if I get the potency through the cape doesn't that open up room for more options on other pieces RE: Healing Skill+ and Cure Pot II?

Potentially, sure, and for all we know it may end up being a standard setup in the future. Right now, a BiS setup doesn't need it, and neither do other viable sets (some here).

If that's what you need to make the best of what you have right now though, then use it. Personally, I have -Enmity on it since I only have an NQ neck.
By Carlyle 2020-05-09 12:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »

Potentially, sure, and for all we know it may end up being a standard setup in the future. Right now, a BiS setup doesn't need it, and neither do other viable sets (some here).

If that's what you need to make the best of what you have right now though, then use it. Personally, I have -Enmity on it since I only have an NQ neck.
My guess is that once the Empeyrean upgrades start rolling out that we're going to be seeing a lot of additional Cure Potency II gear but you're right -- that's for the future, not for today.

I haven't run into too many Enmity-related issues -- would you mind telling me what augments you would suggest across three or four capes?
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-05-09 14:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

would you mind telling me what augments you would suggest across three or four capes?

Sure.

While you may have a lot of materials, just in general, I'd point out that there's no inherent need to augment every slot on a cape. Many are also already quite good with the relatively cheap Thread/Dust/Sap augments. Dye and Resin were added later, and their higher cost reflects their "give players more to do" purpose.

Anyway...

Your first WHM cape to make is your general casting one. 30 MND (20 Thread + 10 Dye), MACC/MDMG (Dust), and either Fast Cast or Haste from Sap would be ideal, though that slot is a bit flexible.
With Fast Cast, this makes for a pretty solid all-around cape for those looking to conserve materials or inventory. On the other hand, Haste puts a bigger potential dent in recast timers, and is probably the way to go if making more than one cape.
Alternatively, as mentioned, you could use the Sap augment for -Enmity.

The second cape to consider then, is your Fast Cast cape, which can also be set up as an Idle cape since Sap is the one augment that really doesn't offer much towards that. In that case, EVA/MEVA from Dust, MEVA from Dye, with Thread/Resin maybe being more a matter of preference. I would probably do HP and MEVA for them respectively, but MP/MND/INT would have merits, as would PDT.

-alternatively-

You could opt to flesh out your Fast Cast cape with INT and MACC, for subjob spells. I do this the other way around for SCH/RDM/BLM - MAB on the INT cape, Fast Cast on MND.

Beyond those, I'd really look at how you use the job. If you're only ever using it for backline support, then the materials/inventory for additional capes may be better used for other jobs.

Before melee, I would again consider more niche spell uses. An INT cape maybe. A MAB one for Banish/Holy (someone did post about hitting Omen objectives with that).

Melee capes, for any job, can expand quickly if you try to optimize for every possible situation or WS.

The standard setup for a TP cape, for most any job, tends to be DEX from Thread, ACC/ATT from Dust, and either DEX or ACC from Dye. Double Attack, Store TP, or Dual Wield can be good uses of the Sap slot, depending on job, buffs, and what other gear you have.
Your general setup there is likely going to be DA. DW for /DNC (/NIN can get needed Dual Wield to cap with full buffs from, say, Suppanomimi and Shetal Stone). STP is probably only worth considering for Yagrush AM3. So, I would make a DA TP back first.

It's common to put a PDT augment in the Resin slot for a TP cape as well.

WS, on the other hand, tend to favor whatever primary mods the WS has, and then DA, Crit, or WSDMG. Offhand, I think you'd want MND/WSD, STR/WSD, and STR/Crit to cover most club WS?

To a point, I'd step back and consider how seriously you're approaching WHM melee. If you're only looking at low tier stuff, maybe that you don't need the extra 15-22 ACC from DEX for, I'd look at doing a STR/DA melee cape to start. As nearly every club WS is STR and/or MND mod, that or your MND cape would be decent.
When you can build more capes, and if you're still seeing the need, use a Needle to change the STR to DEX, and build the more specific WS capes.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-05-09 15:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Came across this randomly on youtube when looking up 'The Guild' videos. I wish someone made a video like this for FFXI, but sadly it's not that popular.

YouTube Video Placeholder

lol @ "disrupting all the sheep".
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-05-09 16:31:53
Link | Quote | Reply

First:
30 mnd 20 macc/mdmg 10 wsd (flash nova)

Second:
20 dex 20 acc/atk 10 stp 10 acc

Third:
30 mnd 20 acc/atk 10 da (black halo)

Fourth:
30 mnd 20 acc/atk 10 crit rate (hexa strike)

Fifth:
80 hp 20 eva/meva +10 evade de buff (or some combo)

Order doesn’t really matter only one is really important and that is the first one.

A note about not doing haste, fast cast, or -enmity on the first cape. Current bis sets try to use perimede for quick cast so don’t really need fc, we’ve got good hast in other slots too. Use neck makes -enmity mood as well.
First Page 2 3 ... 95 96 97