Stringing Pummel - When To NOT Use?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Stringing Pummel - When to NOT use?
Stringing Pummel - When to NOT use?
By runeghost 2014-08-18 16:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there any occasions to -NOT- use Stringing Pummel?
Obviously there are the times you want to stun an exploding mob (Shoulder Tackle), and the Plague of Shijin Spiral is also occasionally nice....

But from what I have read, it seems that I should assume that if I am just out doing something, I should assume that I should always use Stringing Pummel?

I just like double checking.
(Alright, also if you are pursuing it, you should use Dragon Kick to weaponskill light with your Automaton, in order to get Stringing Pummel faster...)
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-08-18 16:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

runeghost said: »
Is there any occasions to -NOT- use Stringing Pummel?
Obviously there are the times you want to stun an exploding mob (Shoulder Tackle), and the Plague of Shijin Spiral is also occasionally nice....

But from what I have read, it seems that I should assume that if I am just out doing something, I should assume that I should always use Stringing Pummel?

I just like double checking.
(Alright, also if you are pursuing it, you should use Dragon Kick to weaponskill light with your Automaton, in order to get Stringing Pummel faster...)
Victory smite > Stringing Pummel in conditions which will make a light skillchain.

Howling fist is also notable if your attack is on the low end and you're >~2000 tp.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2014-08-18 17:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't remember if pup gets raging fists now, but at 3000 tp it should beat pummel.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-08-18 17:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Puppetmaster receives every weaponskill monk does, excluding Ascetic's Fury, and Final Heaven.
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-08-18 17:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Puppetmaster receives every weaponskill monk does, excluding Ascetic's Fury, and Final Heaven.
This. Also keep in mind that raging fists will only win at pDIFs of ~2 or greater which with PUP's lack of proper skill and native attack buffs doesn't happen very often without full on support. In this case howling fist will win out.

On top of this, if you're saving tp to such an amount it's often an indication you're waiting for a chance to skillchain in which case raging fists(if remembering properly) is a little low on the totem pole for.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-08-18 17:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You're better off using Stringing Pummel when you have an excessive amount of attack, critical hit rate, and accuracy, as well as when skill chaining with the valoredge automaton frame's String Shredder for darkness.

Otherwise, your best weapon skill will be, in most cases, Victory Smite for high end Strength, attack, and accuracy, since it's an 80% mod now, as well as when opening or closing a light skillchain with your Sharpshot automaton frame.

Easier to gear for Victory Smite than Stringing Pummel, because Pummel is a STR/VIT mod on a job that lacks any kind of serious attack traits.
[+]