Puppetmaster Changes And Why It Changes Nothing

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Puppetmaster changes and why it changes nothing
Puppetmaster changes and why it changes nothing
 Shiva.Onionknight
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Onionknight 2014-08-12 03:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry to make a copy of the post i made on the official forums. Im posting this here aswell to hopefully get a discussion going and some support on the official forums:

Some fast tests after the update was released:

Valoredge:

-String shredder didnt get changed like the update said
-String Clipper got a boost. It is up to par with string shredder now doing 2k-2.5k damage.
-Canibal Blade got a VERY small update from 800 to 850 dmg at 300 tp.
-Bone Crusher got a boost. It is the best ws sofar doing 2.3k-2.8k.

Im very dissappointed with these changes. For puppetmasters that are content with never using this job in ilvl 122+. In difficult and very difficult BCNNM and Delve 2 this wont change a thing. Our pet will still fail to hit the mob consitent even with the currently available pet food. Our best ws Canibal blade for high evasive mobs didnt really get a good enough update to matter.

Sharpshot

-Armor Shatterer didnt get changed.
-Daze and Armor piercer got the same update and are doing between 4300 and 5700
-Acruballista got the same change and doing between 4300 and 5700 aswell. Using flame holder and 3x fire maneuver boosts this up to 4600 and 6300.

Sharpshot is a very powerful automaton but STILL lacks in 2 distinct areas for it to matter. Its ranged accurracy is very bad at ilvl 122+ events. its hitrate drops below 40% at those. Its defence and damage taken is so bad it gets 1-2 shotted by 122+ Notorious monster moves. Fixing these 2 problems would make this puppet a contender for a RNG spot in 122+ events.

Harlequin Frame and Stormwaker Frame

-Magic Mortar didnt get a real change. Only the max damage is easier attained when the puppet is lower in hp.
-Slapstick got a small boost to 950 at 100 tp and 1600 at 300 tp.
-Knockout got a boost to 2000 at 100p to 2400 at 300 tp. Has very bad accuracy though. Was this done for a reason?

This boost is actually not bad. Knockout is a good ws for your healer companion. to bad it has a 50% hitrate at most.

In summary
The updates to Valoredge are mediocre. The updates to Sharpshot are lazy. They just put all ws to the same level. The changes to the mage frames are ok but have some detrimental issues.

I can understand the changes by SE. They still seem to think all puppetmasters fight alongside the automaton in all fights. This is wrong. Difficult fights where we get one shotted we rely on valoredge to be in the fight solo. We gear for that and it works to a small point with canibal blade as weaponskill. It is sad that SE has overlooked this weaponskill.

In situations we can fight alongside our automatons we are doing ok. Its the difficult events like Difficult Ark angels, difficult Hard Mode Fights and Delve 2 that we are not welcome. Mainly because our damage is too low, our automatons have too low accuracy and ranged accuracy to be able to compete.

This update was a good one for events that we were already welcome in. For stuff we are excluded at this hasnt changed a thing. SE please help us and fix our pet accurracy,ranged accuracy and give the automatons a damage taken buff. Damage increases to our automaton wil do nothing for us.
[+]
 Leviathan.Krysten
Server: Leviathan
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2014-08-12 05:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

that wont change till a view factors in place:

1. Buffs and Cures can you imagine a pld tanking without pro and shell... not to mention cures..... oils dont cut it, they never will.

2. enhanced voke, pup coke currently does nothing really.

2-b. Some kinda sentinal kinda deal is needed

and lastly 3. HP is nowhere NEAR say a bst tanking pet
 Phoenix.Craptaculous
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Craptaculous 2014-08-12 10:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

hm.... Well that's unfortunate. It probably wouldn't matter anyway. Since even with that shared master/pet food, the automaton's acc is awful.

In typical party/alliance based content, like Delve, Legion ,etc, you're not going to be having the toy tank, at best it'll be additional DD or a Haste II 'bot. Nor will you be wearing a Pet:stat set, at best a hybrid. So with this marginal boost to some of the weapon skills, you're right, it won't change anything. But, even if they were epic like Player WS's changes, it wouldn't have changed anything anyway, because even in places vs high lvl mobs (like Doh Gates: crabs and pugils) with akamocchi food, the pet had something like 45% accuracy, while I had 90% and that's with maintaining Aftermath Lv3 on Kenkonken i119! (don't get me started on Delve II automaton acc...../facepalm)

I sure do like me some haste II though :D.

long story short: get kenkonken, screw the pet. These WS modifiers are irrelevant.
 Shiva.Onionknight
By Shiva.Onionknight 2014-08-12 14:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Already got the Kenkonken. I just keep having the idle hope they fix pet accurracy/ranged accurracy. That would mean soo much in pet based ls events. Giving the automaton a hp boost like bst would be nice yeah but then pup would make bst useless. That is something i dont want. The pet hp is the bst's niche.
 Shiva.Siviard
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2014-08-13 03:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

"I love my MNK, but when I do AA Difficult, I go PUP"

Shiva.Onionknight
By Shiva.Onionknight 2014-08-13 03:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The geo we had actually made a difference. The evasion down luopan made Mithra remotely hittable. Have 1 pup focus on chimera ripper. the other 2 on canibal blade. extra sc dmg from those really helped in dot. The person doing the chimera ripper has to have a solid pet:acc build though.

This is hopefully a look into the future if they ever fix pet accuracy.
[+]