Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 3 ... 31 32 33 ... 42 43 44
By Jetackuu 2014-10-17 01:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta admit, the parody used to make that image was pretty hilarious:

parody said:
"I've been in the hospital CEO business for 30 years. Whenever bad things happen in a hospital setting, we can count on at least one nurse to take the fall. In fact, I'm so confident that a nurse is always at fault, we built an entire section into our hospital rules and regulations titled 'How To Blame a Nurse For Anything Bad That Could Lead To A Lawsuit," said Jed Brainer, CEO of Texas Presbyterian Hospital.
[+]
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2014-10-17 01:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

CDC and WHO are terrible at their jobs, all it took was 10 minutes and I found Patient-Zero who contracted and spread Ebola
http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots/75163
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-17 01:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Bahamut.Soraishin said: »
Got a chuckle out of that, but for serious: this isn't easy to contract, you have to do something rather negligent or get bodily fluids in your mouth/eyes/cuts/etc to get it, so unless they were getting sprayed in the face they didn't do a very good job. You don't need a full hazmat suit to properly contain this virus, despite popular belief.

It certainly wouldn't hurt though, but you know: budget :P

Makes me wonder if those nurses were the nurses we've all dreamed about our entire lives. They probably did dirty immoral unforgivable things to that patient and didn't wash their damn hands!

Hey Bacon, do you ever have male nurse fetishes?

[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-17 02:57:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so based on the information provided in this thread I've calculated some model projections, and let's just say they're not pretty.

This, of course, assumes a consistent open border policy, which given the lure of potential Democratic voters, is a near certainty. Also, with the coming of fall and subsequent cooler temperatures, balls and palms should be less sweaty resulting in a slightly extended timeline. However, global warming will likely counteract any of these benefits, but thankfully CO2 is just plant food so life will find a way!

Thanks Ebolobama.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-17 03:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

Nurses Blast Hospitals Over Ebola Safety

Quote:
“Our nurses are not protected, they’re not prepared to handle Ebola or any other pandemics,” DeMoro said. “The protocols that should have been in place in Dallas were not in place and are not in place anywhere in the United States, as far as we can tell.”
Except no where does she say where she got (assumed) this information.

She also specifically states that the protocols that the CDC recommended were not put in place and that her criticism was focused on the hospitals and not the government.
Quote:
"When the director from the CDC in March said hospitals should prepare for possible pandemic of Ebola, and what's happened in the country is the hospitals essentially ignored that," DeMoro said.

The CDC cannot force private hospitals to follow the guidelines. You've said that yourself on this forum.

The hospital administration, the doctor who misdiagnosed Duncan with a virus and sent him home with antibiotics, and Texas state health department share a lot of the blame. The Texas state health department is in charge of making sure their hospitals comply with state and federal regulations.

guidelines =/= regulations.

If those unsanitary conditions that the anonymous nurses are stating is true than every single person who did not report those conditions share part of the blame (administrator, staff, CDC, whoever saw and didn't correct the problem).

If all US hospitals are not ready for any pandemics that is a serious *** problem and that indicates a systemic problem with hospitals and the health care system in the US.

US hospitals deal with patients who are contagious and infectious on a daily basis (e.g. HAI's, flu, D68). Some hospitals and staff deal better than others.

Which is why the leading cause of death in hospitals is HAI's. If hospitals choose not to protect individuals and staff because it is costly or inconvenient (e.g. not using the protocols for MRSA) they are playing the probability game hoping that nothing happens on their watch. This hospital lost this round.

Hospitals have been given these protocols. The protocols are publicly available. There are numbers that can be called to speak with experts or emailed if there are any questions. The CDC has a website where all information on this outbreak has been updated for months.

However, there are no penalties for not putting the protocols in place. When an infection runs rampant in a hospital rarely is a hospital fined or charged with anything, unless it violates OSHA standards or state/federal laws. The CDC can only "take over" a hospital or person (basically anything dealing with US citizens) in cases of terrorism, when there are documented failings on the state level, or interstate travel where states have not controlled the situation.
Quote:
Quote:
Deborah Burger, co-director of the nurses union, read an account of hospital conditions she said had been given from nurses at Texas Health Presbyterian. The statement painted a portrait of carelessness, with nurses who interacted with Duncan wearing flimsy gowns and protective gear that left parts of their bodies exposed.

Seems to me the fault of the hospital and a failed healthcare system, not a negligent nurse. How are nurses supposed to provide effective infectious disease care when they aren't provided proper protocols and equipment?
The nurses share some blame in that these protocols are available online. A simple 30 second google search gives you the document.

Kara said:
The CDC has a detailed recommendations for protective clothing. P. 134 figures, p. 125 is description of barrier precautions. P. 134 explains how to disrobe properly.

However, they should not lose their jobs for becoming infected. That is silly. Mistakes happen and while they might have been the ones to make this one (putting on PPE or disrobing incorrectly) it is also probable that someone didn't clean a reusable medical device properly, get rid of medical waste correctly, handle fluid specimens, or many other potential points of contact that also have to be ruled out.

Specific Laws and Regulations Governing the Control of Communicable Diseases

Legal Authorities for Isolation and Quarantine
Questions and Answers on the Executive Order Adding Potentially Pandemic Influenza Viruses to the List of Quarantinable Diseases
Quote:
When does CDC intend to use these quarantine powers?

In general, CDC defers to the state and local health authorities in their primary use of their own separate quarantine powers. Based upon long experience and collaborative working relationships with our state and local partners, CDC continues to anticipate the need to use this federal authority to quarantine an exposed person only in rare situations, such as events at ports of entry or in similar time-sensitive settings.
Airline Guidance
[+]
 Lakshmi.Vagrua
Server: Lakshmi
user: Vagrua
By Lakshmi.Vagrua 2014-10-17 04:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I, myself, would expect more cases showing up during the holidays. Think mass quantities of people visiting families from other worldly countries. Hopefully the "screening" process clears any negligence.

I mean, why would anyone lie to come here for possibly better treatment? The toll over there has only reached...what 4,493 deaths and 8,998 reported cases
(37,000 estimate unreported cases) with a 71% mortality rate? Tis the season to be jolly.

Perhaps some common sense would help us though:
1. If someone from West Africa shows up in your hospital with a fever and pain; test for Ebola. Do not send them home with prescription meds to possibly infect others.
2. Do not board a plane if you have a fever and have been in contact with an Ebola patient within the past 21 days.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-17 09:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
guidelines =/= regulations.

JCAHO amongst other ways.

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Except no where does she say where she got (assumed) this information.
A nurse from Texas Presbyterian interviewed this week with t
Today Show. She confirmed all of Burger's and Castillo's statements.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-17 09:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The fact that my existence is personally responsible for undoubtedly impacting other people in negative ways, doesn't mean I'm obligated to cease my existence, or obliged to live a life of positive contribution to other people's interest when it conflicts with my own.
And here we get to the crux of the matter.
If you cause someone harm do to your actions, should you be responsible?
Someone who has a sense of personal responsibility would answer yes, you should be held responsible for the consequences of your actions.
Someone who doesn't have a sense of personal responsibility would say they don't have any obligation to other people, regardless if their actions cause harm.

By your logic, picking up a gun and killing a random person to take their wallet is still being personally responsible.
I want the government to quarantine illegal immigrants for diseases like scabies and enterovirus 68 because they are bringing in risks to Americans that they otherwise would not be exposed too.
Illegal immigrants aren't some magical vector for diseases. Both scabies and enterovirus D68 have been present in the US previously.

You preaching some kind of self righteous nonsense here. I'm not personally responsible for "harming" someone, merely exposing them to millions of viral agents when I come in contact with them. If left un-treated could it get worse? Sure, but aren't we all ...PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY... to take care of ourselves when we're sick? Oh I forgot, not with Obamacare, that's someone elses job.

The whole concept of personal responsibility is about recognizing that your life affects other people. Not just per say in me recognizing that I am ill and therefore might expose someone to my mainly nuisance of a cold/fever, but also those of everyone else on the plane who should realize that they're getting in close quarters with 100 other people in what amounts to a flying sardine can.

What if I wake up on the morning of the flight with a sore throat? I take my temp and its 100. I could cancel my trip and reschedule or I can just pop some dayquil and get on the damn plane. What if I get sick on the last day of my trip? Do I owe it to the rest of the plane to extend my trip? C'mon that's ridiculous. Personal responsibility works both ways.

People cry (or they should anyways) "personal responsibility" when some welfare mom with 6 kids looks into the TV camera and says "who is gonna take care of these kids?" because they recognize that the welfare mother is refusing to realize the gravity her own choices (refuses to recognize that she's suppose to take care of them because she birthed them). She's refusing to recognize her own personal responsibility in the situation.

----

So what if the entero virus and ***were here before at some time? There weren't outbreak levels of this stuff before this mass welcoming of illegal kids that came up this summer. Those kids carried the disease, and the administration shipped them all across the country exposing all the American kids in our schools. You know who's personally responsible for that?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-17 09:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

In other news:

Hospital worker who handled bodily fluids is on a Caribbean cruise!!!

Way to go CDC! Brownie, you're doing a helluva job!

Blazed1979 said: »
Nausi, I can relate and empathize with your perspective on this. You're worried about disease break out in your country. But that's an irrational stretch from 1 ebola patient.

What's not irrational however is to assume the healthcare apparatus in the country are even remotely good enough to contain an outbreak. How the hell did those 2 nurses get Ebola?!
I thought contracting the virus was difficult and you literally had to have their blood or saliva or mucus splattered on you.

It's just my constant belief in the failure of the great liberal state. We're watching what happens when liberal political hacks are put in charge of serious things.

Anyone remember those foiled terrorist attacks a few years ago? they were foiled by citizens at about the last step of the execution? The plans literally passed through every safety checkpoint and all the libs came out and said "the system worked the way it was intended".

EDIT: Our healthcare system is flawed, to expect it to be without flaws is unreasonable, therefore decisions need to be made at the top to reduce as many risks as possible. The downright arrogance of the people running this show in Washington will be our downfall.

I mean just these two nurses, what have they exposed like a few hundred people?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-17 09:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Everyone coming from south america is automatically an illegal? Sounds quite racist to me.

Strawman!

Oops Jet called me a hypocrite, I'm ROFLing as we speak. I'm not canceling my plans so you don't have to get my strep. Call me a selfish *** if you must, but otherwise prepare yourself, take your "cold ease", and bring your hand sanitizer. You don't have the right to quarantine me for something as trivial as a strep, and my proximity to you on a plane places you in no mortal danger. Feel entitled to sue me if you must, but you're gonna end up *** off.

You can laugh all you want but it couldn't be more accurate.

That makes you selfish and a ***, but if I did manage to catch something from you and could prove it was due to your negligence I could sue you, 'Murica. (Doubt it though, as I never get sick, as well I'm not an idiot, and wash my hands, etc).

Strep can kill you, but then again I don't expect you to comprehend that.

I really hope I can actually meet you one day Jet, I'll sneeze all over you just to watch you freak out.

Sunlight can kill you also, so can the over consumption of water. Doesn't mean we all run out to sue the restaurant that served it to us...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-17 09:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

In other news:

Hospital worker who handled bodily fluids is on a Caribbean cruise!!!

Way to go CDC! Brownie, you're doing a helluva job!

Blazed1979 said: »
Nausi, I can relate and empathize with your perspective on this. You're worried about disease break out in your country. But that's an irrational stretch from 1 ebola patient.

What's not irrational however is to assume the healthcare apparatus in the country are even remotely good enough to contain an outbreak. How the hell did those 2 nurses get Ebola?!
I thought contracting the virus was difficult and you literally had to have their blood or saliva or mucus splattered on you.

It's just my constant belief in the failure of the great liberal state. We're watching what happens when liberal political hacks are put in charge of serious things.

Anyone remember those foiled terrorist attacks a few years ago? they were foiled by citizens at about the last step of the execution? The plans literally passed through every safety checkpoint and all the libs came out and said "the system worked the way it was intended".

Feel free to leave any time you like and go to a country that better-suits your needs. You're apparently a rich, well-rounded, well-educated, extremely-qualified individual. Why not move to Dubai or some such and make millions? Maybe be like Chaos and find a quiet place in some country no one ever visits and live like a king?

Oh, right.

You're just a closed-minded, narcicistic alarmist who likes to ***.

Edit: Yet somehow I can't help but repeatedly engage in these conversations where you're present...so clearly I am not without flaw myself.
By volkom 2014-10-17 09:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

dat ebola czar
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-17 09:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone coming from south america is automatically an illegal? Sounds quite racist to me.

Strawman!

Because it's impossible an american or a legal immigrant brought it back, it has to be "illegals".

That's the conservative mantra, blame illegals for everything while you work them to death and poke them with your noodle in secret. Better keep quiet or ill use ICE to get rid of you.
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-17 10:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

they work themselves to death~ crossing that desert
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-17 10:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Strawman!

Because it's impossible an american or a legal immigrant brought it back, it has to be "illegals".

That's the conservative mantra, blame illegals for everything while you work them to death and poke them with your noodle in secret. Better keep quiet or ill use ICE to get rid of you.

What nonsense is this? Where do I go to get my illegal immigrant ***/slave? I've got plenty of projects that need "do-ing" at my house.

Also, ICE doesn't do ***about them, that's why there's millions of them here.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-10-17 10:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The people coming from Meso- and South America are tough a lot. The over packed train of death that gets you to southern border of Mexico. Then theres the machine guns and corrupted officials at said border. Not to mention traversing a jungle and finally coming to the Sonoran desert.

Then you gotta cross the US border while dodging paranoid cartel mules, angry ranchers and gung-ho border patrol agents. Most people usually die of dehydration or starvation at this leg given the spread of the desert. Those that do make usually find themselves sitting in home depot parking lot getting solicited to be ***/slaves at 20$ a day to people like Nausi.

It's a rough a journey only like 35% actually survive it...kinda like Ebola.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-17 10:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Dallas nurse Briana Aguirre on Today Show

Quote:
Aguirre did take care of Pham, the first of two nurses who contracted Ebola while caring for Duncan. Aguirre said she was shocked by the insufficient protective gear she was provided. The hospital provided gloves, protective gowns and a mask but a gap of several inches around her neck was left exposed.

“I’ll be honest, I threw a fit. I just couldn’t believe it,” she said. “In the second week of an Ebola crisis at my hospital, the only gear they were offering us at that time, and up until that time, is gear that is allowing our necks to be uncovered?”

She said she asked several infectious disease nurses and CDC officials about the suits but never got a response.
By fonewear 2014-10-17 10:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Just when you thought the Huff Post thread was the "worst thread ever" we have a new contender.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-17 10:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

All that so we can get cocaine and weed for our psychopathic overlords of industry. And for the common man? 20 years in prison for weed and cheap cocaine runoff.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-17 10:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Ok, so based on the information provided in this thread I've calculated some model projections, and let's just say they're not pretty.

This, of course, assumes a consistent open border policy, which given the lure of potential Democratic voters, is a near certainty. Also, with the coming of fall and subsequent cooler temperatures, balls and palms should be less sweaty resulting in a slightly extended timeline. However, global warming will likely counteract any of these benefits, but thankfully CO2 is just plant food so life will find a way!

Thanks Ebolobama.

Not a pie chart argument invalid.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-17 10:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Just when you thought the Huff Post thread was the "worst thread ever" we have a new contender.

You just might say the thread.... contracted Ebola.

*shades*
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-17 10:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

*shades*

You win the internet.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-17 10:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

*shades*

Do we have a nurse on the forums for a scapegoat?
By fonewear 2014-10-17 10:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

So wait all I have to do to get on the Today show is care for an Ebola patient Africa here I come !
By fonewear 2014-10-17 10:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd go back to Africa but my skin color is wrong.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-10-17 10:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
The people coming from Meso- and South America are tough a lot. The over packed train of death that gets you to southern border of Mexico. Then theres the machine guns and corrupted officials at said border. Not to mention traversing a jungle and finally coming to the Sonoran desert.

Then you gotta cross the US border while dodging paranoid cartel mules, angry ranchers and gung-ho border patrol agents. Most people usually die of dehydration or starvation at this leg given the spread of the desert. Those that do make usually find themselves sitting in home depot parking lot getting solicited to be ***/slaves at 20$ a day to people like Nausi.

It's a rough a journey only like 35% actually survive it...kinda like Ebola.

I suppose it's despair what make them a "tough lot"...

USA is a young nation and the current lead of the world order. No wonder people from poorer countries would try to pursue what they think is a dream.

Anyway what I mean by USA being a young nation is that it is fairly recent and never had "the chance" of experiment the horror of true calamities.

I think stuff like the black pest Europe saw in middle ages are a good example. It doesn't need to be man made calamity (as in war for example).

Such stuff does change the culture of the people, make them more sensible to other countries problems...
By Jetackuu 2014-10-17 10:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Strawman!

Oops Jet called me a hypocrite, I'm ROFLing as we speak. I'm not canceling my plans so you don't have to get my strep. Call me a selfish *** if you must, but otherwise prepare yourself, take your "cold ease", and bring your hand sanitizer. You don't have the right to quarantine me for something as trivial as a strep, and my proximity to you on a plane places you in no mortal danger. Feel entitled to sue me if you must, but you're gonna end up *** off.

That makes you selfish and a ***, but if I did manage to catch something from you and could prove it was due to your negligence I could sue you, 'Murica. (Doubt it though, as I never get sick, as well I'm not an idiot, and wash my hands, etc).

I really hope I can actually meet you one day Jet, I'll sneeze all over you just to watch you freak out.

Sunlight can kill you also, so can the over consumption of water. Doesn't mean we all run out to sue the restaurant that served it to us...

I'll have you charged with attempted murder and assault but thankfully I'll never go anywhere near your crazy republitard ***.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-17 10:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Strawman!

I'll have you charged with attempted murder and assault but thankfully I'll never go anywhere near your crazy republitard ***.

I would love to see you explain that to the police. Seriously I would. Where are you? I'll head your way today.
First Page 2 3 ... 31 32 33 ... 42 43 44