in the vids there was a ranger

and a pld'ish guy
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-19 10:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Psh, one of the best things in FFXI is clicking on random ???'s and popping NM's for god knows which quest you flagged god knows when. I wanna find stuff out for myself rather having everything handed to me on a silver platter.

But yes, read the website :p
 Fairy.Specopsz
Server: Fairy
user: Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2009-08-19 10:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Antipika said:
Blazza said:

Will do! Will be even more enjoyable with all the trolling idiots staying behind on FFXI!

I'd rather have idiots on FF XIV :d Just like in all society, if you wanna be on top, you need people at bottom :p These millions of gils you'll have in your inventory will have to be farmed by someone :]]

But that's what the ex-WoW players will be for.

Avian said:
I take it this game will not be on 360 just PS3?...

At this stage it's just PS3 and PC, but apparently it's because Microsoft are stupid, not because of any sort of hardware limitations. So hopefully Microsoft will come around and make an agreement with SE to have it released on 360 as well.

I dont wana make it sound like I'm trying to prove anyone wrong, the main reason its not confirmed for 360 yet is SE. This game was suppose to be made just for PS3, and PC as a tradition. If it does come out for 360, it wont be confirmed until 7-12months later on after it releases ; ;
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-19 10:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It just depends. IF 360 does get added, they are aiming for a universal sale, so if it is confirmed before, it will happen at the same time.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-08-19 10:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

with the price drop on ps3 if it doesn't get released on 360 on launch I'll just pick up a ps3 slim then

Thats if the beta is awesome
 Fairy.Specopsz
user: Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2009-08-19 10:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats a good idea, but I'm a huge fan of 360. I dont see why they wouldnt release it for it anyways? They would loose a large amount of players.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-19 10:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Has something to do with Microsoft being ***.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-19 11:02:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's actually an issue at Microsoft's end rather than SE's. Either way, it's totally a business issue rather than a hardware issue, so it's quite likely that it will happen.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-08-19 11:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

you know it would be nice if it was like an SE guy playing the game.

So he could show off the game features instead of the random media noob playing the game and wasting video
 Carbuncle.Skyshadow
Server: Carbuncle
user: Skyshadow
By Carbuncle.Skyshadow 2009-08-20 16:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Few new videos came out today, not sure if they've been posted. Man this is lookin awesome more and more.
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/final-fantasy-xiv-online/11432
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-20 21:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking pretty good considering this is pre-beta testing. The interview video (second from the bottom) on that page is really interesting too, that's all somewhat new information I hadn't heard yet.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-20 22:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderz said:

So he could show off the game features instead of the random media noob playing the game and wasting video

It would be nice if the video was Fraps'd and not recorded from an outside camera. Also anyone know if these alpha version were runing on PC or PS3 ? Because it looks incredibly smooth, and even if SE computers were like $2000 rig, it means that FF XIV will decently with a $1000 computer by the time it gets released (unless the engine is still undone and lot of feature are missing).
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2009-08-20 22:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Thunderz said:

It would be nice if the video was Fraps'd and not recorded from an outside camera. Also anyone know if these alpha version were runing on PC or PS3 ? Because it looks incredibly smooth, and even if SE computers were like $2000 rig, it means that FF XIV will decently with a $1000 computer by the time it gets released (unless the engine is still undone and lot of feature are missing).

The game was gimped out to run smooth, as being in alpha, almost no optimization to the code has been done (or at least nowhere near what the final product will be). The demo was only to show off the functionality of the Guildleave system. I'm fairly sure it was running on PC, but at best, only 70% on that guess.

Keep in mind, if it was on PC, it's probably a violation of some kind to Fraps it at an event like that. It's even technically illegal to use camera phones to capture video of a still in development product. A few times patrons getting too nosy were told "No photography" or some such.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-20 22:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean if SE would have Fraps'd it for us lol... Also I got my answer on another board, it was runing on PC and on Windows XP.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-20 22:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I noticed a couple optimisation bugs in some of the videos, couple of really poor quality textures on random surfaces (while other textures around were waaaaay higher quality), trees appearing out of no-where with a really low vanishing point. I'm not concerned about any of those things because it's still really early in development, but just stating that they still have a long way to go, so whatever they have it running on now probably isn't actually the best indication as to what will be able to run it on release.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-20 22:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Off course, it's just an alpha build, just like I could run Warcraft 3 smoothly during it's early stage of development on a 733MHz Pentium III with a shitty 16MB video card and 192MB of ram, while the final release was barely playable on my shitty computer :D It's still a decent indicator, because we've seen game that was barely running great during alpha stage (lolcrysis); and final release couldn't be played smoothly (with full details) unless you had a $3000 computer..

As for this thread http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=4443&page=3 => Me says that the alpha running on XP is a sign that final release may be playable on both XP and Vista/7.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-08-21 01:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the info on what system it was running on? Just curious.
We were originally told that the demo was running on a DECH-2000A PS3 120GB debugging system. We could always have been misinformed, mind you. But DualShock 3 controllers were used to move some of the characters.
Is there a way to use the PS3 controllers on a PC? I'm really not sure if there is, (they are USB, so one would assume) but would a large company even bother? Or simply run by mouse and keyboard. Links would be appreciated :)
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-21 01:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of controllers/mouse, I noticed a few of the people playing were actually using the pointer quite a bit... I'ma scream if I need to use mouse ; ;
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2009-08-21 01:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Speaking of controllers/mouse, I noticed a few of the people playing were actually using the pointer quite a bit... I'ma scream if I need to use mouse ; ;

The only thing said in regards to using the Mouse itself was the ability to move around the Windows and crap. I doubt they will change the control scheme too much, or at worst, just require a little customization.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-08-21 01:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I really hate using the mouse in FFXI. To me, the controller is almost as clunky, although other people swear by it. My reasoning has always been, why take 3 seconds to flip through macros when I can hit Alt+4 in less than 1? To each his own, but I don't think I knew anyone that used a mouse in game really :\
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-21 01:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Zicdeh said:
Blazza said:

The only thing said in regards to using the Mouse itself was the ability to move around the Windows and crap. I doubt they will change the control scheme too much, or at worst, just require a little customization.

Actually you can see one of the guys, click on the edge of the chat log as if to change it's size, and then move the HP/MP/TP(?) bar a little with the controller, so moving things where you want them looks pretty damn easy, I just hope we can set up multiple chat windows with customisable chat filters on each.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2009-08-24 09:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

TARUTARU in 14! :D
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-24 09:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope you can have a tabs on the chat. It'd be nice to have a tab just for linkshell and stuff like that.

I'm trying to think of a game that uses the tabs. I just drew a blank on which one it was. It let you actually group things on tabs. You could have say/shout type messages on one and stuff like that.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-24 09:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Krizz said:
I hope you can have a tabs on the chat. It'd be nice to have a tab just for linkshell and stuff like that.

I'm trying to think of a game that uses the tabs. I just drew a blank on which one it was. It let you actually group things on tabs. You could have say/shout type messages on one and stuff like that.
I'd like that as well. Didn't like what I saw from the demo that was played in Germany. lol
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-24 09:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:
Krizz said:

I'd like that as well. Didn't like what I saw from the demo that was played in Germany. lol
Perfect World allows you to filter into tabs or have all chat in one window. Or.. Pull the chat off into separate windows that you can move around the screen.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-24 09:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Caiyuo said:
Krizz said:

Perfect World allows you to filter into tabs or have all chat in one window. Or.. Pull the chat off into separate windows that you can move around the screen.
It seems like a pretty basic chat function, right? Hopefully they'll take a page from their book. The whole "toss everything into one log, you figure that ***out" approach is pretty dated. lol
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-24 09:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I filter so much ***in XI as it is dealing with battle because I can't read a damn thing in the linkshell/party.