Buffed Victory Smite Vs. Stringing Pummel?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Buffed Victory Smite vs. Stringing Pummel?
Buffed Victory Smite vs. Stringing Pummel?
 Phoenix.Xelnok
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Xelnok
By Phoenix.Xelnok 2014-06-24 11:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I was looking through the BG thread on the rehauled weapon skills here: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/121610-Rehauled-Weapon-Skills-tier-lists

In the thread there has been alot of testing done, and it looks like victory smite is tied with stringing pummel after getting the latest upgrade, and I wanted to know if you guys would agree with that or not? Has anyone here tested the two of them since the update?

I currently have Vsmite unlocked from my WoE weapon, and have yet to unlock stringing pummel (which i was planning on doing sooner than later), but if victory smite is actually on par with stringing pummel i might hold off on climbing nyzul and start working on gearing out my character instead; I've always liked the WS because of its SC properties.

Thanks.
By ixzanjixl 2014-06-25 01:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

my victory smites (in delve) are around 2k~4k
notes: this a combined estimate of a crit bases ws set and a full str ws set
my stringing pummels (in delve) are around 3k~6.7k
notes: this is just str ws set.

long story short. get stringing pummel
 Cerberus.Cruxus
Server: Cerberus
user: Cruxus
By Cerberus.Cruxus 2014-06-25 14:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always prefered pummel over V.Smite for pup, always seemed to be neck and neck with numbers only pulling ahead slightly for V.Smite occasionally. And if you ever get Kenkonken, the additional 30~40% dmg increase makes which to use a no brainer (seen different ppl say 30% and some say 40% so that's why I place it in those context).

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-06-25 15:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Cruxus said: »
I've always prefered pummel over V.Smite for pup, always seemed to be neck and neck with numbers only pulling ahead slightly for V.Smite occasionally. And if you ever get Kenkonken, the additional 30~40% dmg increase makes which to use a no brainer (seen different ppl say 30% and some say 40% so that's why I place it in those context).
Stringing Pummel is by far better for master damage when using a mage puppet, or the Valoredge frame, but Smite is better utilized for the Sharpshot frame due to skill chaining light with Armor Shatterer.

Either way, I would make sure to have both for varied situations.
 Phoenix.Xelnok
By Phoenix.Xelnok 2014-06-25 15:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, thanks for the replies, guess ill start seeing how far i can get soloing nyzul isle. Is it possible to get the inferno claws on any of the floors?

Xel
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-06-25 15:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Xelnok said: »
Alright, thanks for the replies, guess ill start seeing how far i can get soloing nyzul isle. Is it possible to get the inferno claws on any of the floors?

Xel
There is a chance you can get them from any of the NMs that spawn, or from the boss floors.

Unless you get stuck with crappy lamps, soloing should be a non-issue.
 Sylph.Traxus
Server: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2014-06-25 16:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

With the skillchain update, you should consider the level 3 light property on VS as well. If you're in a group that's spamming other level 3 light ws like fudo/cdc/etc. probably better off sticking with smite even if pummel hits harder on its own.
By Elwynbelwyn 2014-06-28 10:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Stringing Pummel is by far better for master damage when using a mage puppet, or the Valoredge frame, but Smite is better utilized for the Sharpshot frame due to skill chaining light with Armor Shatterer.
Now that I've started using VS, I am definitely getting lots of Light even without trying to time a chain. I didn't realize how much I missed getting chains from back when I was using a mage automaton. (Just don't use it on the raptor in Delve!)

But I've got to say that you're not a REAL pup until you've got SP, even if you don't use it. Back in the day we didn't have VS or Shijin, so we had to punch our way uphill, both ways, with nothing but Stringing Pummels!
By Elwynbelwyn 2014-06-28 10:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Xel
I have a mule with no subjob, and PUP at 99. I was able to solo from nothing to floor 70. My main problem was a token shortage from losing to all the Same Time Lamps floors, and sometimes from bad family floors taking too much time. Then I got lucky and found a group that was climbing from 70, and we reached 100 on three tags.

The main rule is to NEVER go six floors. One run I had five floors done, and thought I could try a sixth for a few more tokens. The next floor was same time lamps. NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Aside from the same time lamps, solo Nyzul can be pretty fun. And you sure do get to learn how to do order lamps right!
 Valefor.Xerus
Server: Valefor
user: Xerus
By Valefor.Xerus 2014-07-05 20:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Xel
If it is an unrealistic thing for you to solo, you can try to find someone who has floor 100 clear, has pup unlocked, and then set the target close to 100. 100% drop on the weapon belonging to the job of the person setting the floor goal. The amount of WS points would be a lot higher though.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Unlocking_a_Myth
Relevant information for how many WS points you would need based on floors completed.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-05 21:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

using magic on raptor is a non issue, so make light skillchains and have your mage auto nuke. the issue is bringing bad whm's, not magic damage from nuking pups and light skillchains.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-07-05 21:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Xerus said: »

Xel
If it is an unrealistic thing for you to solo, you can try to find someone who has floor 100 clear, has pup unlocked, and then set the target close to 100. 100% drop on the weapon belonging to the job of the person setting the floor goal. The amount of WS points would be a lot higher though.

Relevant information for how many WS points you would need based on floors completed.
Thought I read somewhere that SE were adjusting the amount of weapon skill points you needed to unlock Nyzul weapons. Could be thinking of something else though.
 Valefor.Xerus
By Valefor.Xerus 2014-07-05 22:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Just did a search on the main forums under testing, updates, etc. and found nothing relating to the Vigil weapons or Nyzul itself. If there was a little bit of info on that, I don't know what it would be listed as.
 Phoenix.Xelnok
By Phoenix.Xelnok 2014-07-06 00:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Xel

Thanks, I'll look into that, my LS has quite a few pups geared extraordinarily well so I'm sure they could help out, I'll have to look more into how to do it though.

I've been busy getting dynamis clears; just got tavnazia access and got the pantin tobe to drop and upgraded to 109 along with finally getting epona's today(!). My next step will be to get ohtas and start working on nyzul. (What are people thought on ohtas? I know oats and tinhspa are much better but I have 0 plasma and figured ohtas seemed like a good step up from eminent.)

What relic/af gear would you guys recommend most? I have the 109 foire taj and 109 pantin Tobe so far and was thinking of doing the pantin dastanas next, what should I work on after that?

Also rajas vs. Oneiros ring for tp?
 Caitsith.Laili
Server: Caitsith
user: Laili
By Caitsith.Laili 2014-07-06 02:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Pitre Taj / Whirlpool Mask / Uk'uxkaj Cap
Pitre Tobe / Thaumas coat / Qaaxo harness
Foire Dastanas / Regimen mittens
Pitre Churidars / Otronif Brais
Foire Babouches / Otronif Boots / Manibozho Boots
 Phoenix.Xelnok
By Phoenix.Xelnok 2014-07-06 09:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Laili said: »
Pitre Taj / Whirlpool Mask / Uk'uxkaj Cap
Pitre Tobe / Thaumas coat / Qaaxo harness
Foire Dastanas / Regimen mittens
Pitre Churidars / Otronif Brais
Foire Babouches / Otronif Boots / Manibozho Boots

Ok, thanks for the list, i have a few questions though.

Firstly, what kind of augments would i need on the Otronif Brais/Boots(NQ) to put them ahead of the augmented af/relic(109)? (Can augments from the normal stones pull them ahead?) Second, why foire dastanas over pitre? Pitre have 1% more pet haste, 7subtle blow, as well as +3% crit chance (with 3 fine-tuning merits), i am unsure what the enhances maneuver effects does though, so maybe that puts them ahead.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-07-06 11:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

i am unsure what the enhances maneuver effects does though
The Enhances Maneuver effect is the same as the original/+1 AF which is just +1 to the stat increase for using a maneuver.
 Caitsith.Laili
Server: Caitsith
user: Laili
By Caitsith.Laili 2014-07-06 11:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I suggested artifact hands for the overload. So you could macro af hands when you do Maneuvers but yes relic hand are another option instead of Regimen mittens for the auto.

Otronif Brais/Boots are 113 so higher defense plus they have store tp & attack on the base stats while you can augment accuracy, attack, and physical damage taken - on them

Skirmish_Armor_Augments
 Phoenix.Xelnok
By Phoenix.Xelnok 2014-07-08 08:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

With this change:

"In the “Unlocking a Myth” line of quests, the number of skillchains required to complete the quest is now set as if players have reached floor 100 in Nyzul Isle, regardless of how many floors they have completed."

I'm curious how exactly to go about getting the weapon in the quickest way possible. If i havent done a single floor can i join a pup that has floor 100 for the 100% drop rate on the weapon, or do i have to work my way up?

Thanks.
By fillerbunny9 2014-07-08 08:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

you can join someone else's run and get your item from the floor 100 boss, yes.
 Phoenix.Xelnok
By Phoenix.Xelnok 2014-07-08 14:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Just learned stringing pummel! Had someone start me at floor 96, got the claws and unlocked the WS faster than i had though possible. Ulmia Marches + Haste II from the rdm pet (with Windbuffet/Eponas/Oneiros Ring/Brutal Earring) is crazy with how fast you attack, chaining with ayame and it was a piece of cake. Now i need to get my Ohtas, build a pummel set, and ill be set to start doing some end game.

8')
 Valefor.Xerus
By Valefor.Xerus 2014-07-11 03:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd be amazed how much faster you'd be attacking with all that same stuff and AM3 on Kenkonken. Pretttttty raaaaaad.

But congratulations, and good timing on unlocking the WS with that update.
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-07-11 03:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd be amazed how much faster you'd be attacking with all that same stuff and AM3 on Kenkonken. Pretttttty raaaaaad.
AM3 + Haste 2 = Hilarity