The New Global Cooling Thread.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » The new Global Cooling thread.
The new Global Cooling thread.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-24 15:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

They have pictures and videos of them [IPCC scientists] collecting data. Right... just as I said before, Pleebo is just looking for blind followers of his words, just like his mentor Al Gore.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-24 15:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the people taking the measurements in general didn't use control charts to monitor their processes. Data cleaning becomes a huge mess when measuring equipment gets out of statistical control. Frequent calibration is very important.
Back before global warming and climate science became a fad, they weren't expecting their data to be of such use.

The methodology of collecting the data was more than likely lax in that aspect.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-24 15:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Like I said in other threads, I believe the experts with real degrees from the IPCC. The people who took the time to gather the date themselves.
It's not the experts that I'm questioning though.

It's the data.
It's more the data and how it relates to all fields of science. That's why they have scientists from all different backgrounds who try to paint a bigger picture.
They can only work with what they are given, though.

These are supposed to be historical data, but Alt showed reasonable evidence to show that the historical data could be corrupted due to too much alterations and adjustments.
Yeah I know. hehe.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-24 15:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
You know what gets old? People who constantly reinforce their ignorance every time they open their mouths about something they have zero understanding of constantly commenting on or creating these topics and spreading misinformation.
Wait, you are complaining about yourself now?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-24 15:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what gets old? People who constantly reinforce their ignorance every time they open their mouths about something they have zero understanding of constantly commenting on or creating these topics and spreading misinformation.
Wait, you are complaining about yourself now?
My favorite one was when he argued on forever about how even if we take all these steps for CO2 reduction it would at best have a minimal impact in 50 years time or so. That was classic.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-24 15:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn am I the only one that thought this was about the Fonzie spreading coolness ?

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-06-24 15:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the people taking the measurements in general didn't use control charts to monitor their processes. Data cleaning becomes a huge mess when measuring equipment gets out of statistical control. Frequent calibration is very important.
So you didn't read it either. Anyone else?
By fonewear 2014-06-24 16:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ten pages from now we will be arguing over what "reading" is.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-06-24 16:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Lets just say you use a simple pt100 sensor for temperature. What happens if someone places a structure nearby, and the windows during certain parts of the day where you happen to sample reflect light onto the sensor/sensor housing. Repeat ad nauseum for all kinds of reflective sources.
Pleebo's article states some discrepancies arise due to movement of test locations.

That's to be accounted for. That isn't an error, but a prevention of an error to get better data. The previous data isn't compromised.

Perhaps the sensor has had too much condensation or rain/freeze cycles, and now has a thick coating of ice.
Perhaps birds have found a nice place to make a nest.
Perhaps birds have found a good place to perch overhead, and give the sensor a regular coating of excrement, leading towards ever slower transitions towards ambient temperature.
Perhaps you live in a place where people like to vandalize or shoot things, and have damaged the station.
Unless there is lack of maintenance and/or equipment review, I don't think that would be a big issue.

If nobody checks on the equipment and/or performs regular maintenance/calibration, then the data will obviously be skewed/tainted. That would be recording error, not equipment error.

Doing things consistently, correctly, and accurately in all circumstances is HARD.
I understand that. But if people are going to swear by the data, then the data should be verified.
That's what the checks in the pdf Pleebo linked to are doing...

Most of those checks are there to explicitly counteract behaviors you would observe in the situations I described.

You correct for known faults or errors and throw out any data that meets criteria for exclusion, and try to evaluate the results.

Is it perfect? Dear god, no. Is it sufficient to draw any conclusions from? Yes.

If you have a specific issue regarding specific data points, then please bring it up. I've used enough time to explain the underlying uncertainties that can occur in the general data collection process.
Throwing out data because it doesn't fit with a model is a bad idea.
Modifying data to fit a model is a bad idea.
Modifying data due to known errors is perfectly acceptable as long as it is stated, as is removing data that has high statistical probability of being an erroneous reading.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-24 16:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The obvious answer is that reading means agreeing with Pleebo.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-24 16:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

What does reading mean to you?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-06-24 16:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

So you didn't read it either. Anyone else?

I'm halfway through the report. I know where some of the variation is coming from. You'll also see that they don't have anything in there reassuring people that the equipment was properly maintained in the first place. Nice try though.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-06-24 16:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not asking for automatic agreement. I'm asking for your specific criticisms so an actual debate can happen. So far it's just you twits squawking about nothing.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-24 16:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what the checks in the pdf Pleebo linked to are doing...

Most of those checks are there to explicitly counteract behaviors you would observe in the situations I described.

You correct for known faults or errors and throw out any data that meets criteria for exclusion, and try to evaluate the results.

Is it perfect? Dear god, no. Is it sufficient to draw any conclusions from? Yes.

If you have a specific issue regarding specific data points, then please bring it up. I've used enough time to explain the underlying uncertainties that can occur in the general data collection process.
Throwing out data because it doesn't fit with a model is a bad idea.
Modifying data to fit a model is a bad idea.
Modifying data due to known errors is perfectly acceptable as long as it is stated, as is removing data that has high statistical probability of being an erroneous reading.
But that's not my argument.

My argument is, if the data collected were inherently flawed to the point that normal data scrubbing isn't enough and to use drastic measures to alter the data for it to become "usable," then the data should not be used at all because the method of record-keeping was inadequate.

The data is not usable if it requires too much alterations to it that would change "A" to "Z". Neither the raw data nor the adjusted data.

Which is why I stated my error ratio example/question.

The only solution is to collect the data again, using better recording methodologies. Since these are time-based recordings, it would take decades for us to get usable data again to make sound analysis that the average temperature is rising. Then we can re-evaluate if the methodology is sound or not.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-06-24 16:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

My argument is, if the data collected were inherently flawed to the point that normal data scrubbing isn't enough and to use drastic measures to alter the data for it to become "usable," then the data should not be used at all because the method of record-keeping was inadequate.

I don't know if this particular data is so bad it's unusable, but the sheer amount of data scrubbing required due to the inconsistencies described in the report is somewhat alarming.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-06-24 16:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm halfway through the report. I know where some of the variation is coming from. You'll also see that they don't have anything in there reassuring people that the equipment was properly maintained in the first place. Nice try though.
Equipment maintenance records for each COOP station are available along with their respective measurements online. I worked with some of these data sets extensively and can point you to them if you'd like.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-24 16:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not asking for automatic agreement. I'm asking for your specific criticisms so an actual debate can happen. So far it's just you twits squawking about nothing.
Called it
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-24 16:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if this particular data is so bad it's unusable, but the sheer amount of data scrubbing required due to the inconsistencies described in the report is somewhat alarming.
Which should bring the question of usability.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-06-24 16:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

So then which corrections within the report do you think go beyond "normal" and what methods would you consider drastic and why?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-06-24 16:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Equipment maintenance records for each COOP station are available along with their respective measurements online. I worked with some of these data sets extensively and can point you to them if you'd like.

Sure, let's have a look.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-06-24 16:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/homr/#ncdcstnid=20018983&tab=MSHR

I just picked a station. Details pretty much anything that happened the station in each of the tabs.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-06-24 17:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Er, alrighty. I'm having trouble finding what it is I'm looking for, though.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-06-25 04:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Er, alrighty. I'm having trouble finding what it is I'm looking for, though.
What can't you find? Or what specifically are you looking for?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-06-25 06:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The obvious answer is that reading means agreeing with Pleebo.
I actually gave detailed information about why the current methods of data manipulation are biased to always create an upward trend, even if it was actually cooler. None of them bothered to actually read it. At best there was a cursory glance while they hunted for something to distort and attack, more commonly information that disagreed with their tenants was simply ignored.

You can't convince them no more then you can convince a creationist that the world couldn't of possibly been made in a few thousand years.

The really crazy part is that most ground sites should be adjusted downward due to them being located at airports and other urban population centers. The urban heat island effect is known to raise temperatures by 1~2°C. So ground temperatures are actually lower then raw data measured.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-06-25 08:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

IPCC folks were likely not involved in the data collection lol. They're not a research organization. How can you feel qualified to comment on these things when you don't even know the basics?
Right coming from the guy who doesn't even have an education.
Where did you come up with this assumption?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-25 08:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
IPCC folks were likely not involved in the data collection lol. They're not a research organization. How can you feel qualified to comment on these things when you don't even know the basics?
Right coming from the guy who doesn't even have an education.
Where did you come up with this assumption?
Because he has yet to show it.

And I'm not the only one who's noticed that (because you didn't quote me saying that).
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-06-25 08:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The methodology of collecting the data was more than likely lax in that aspect.

That is part of it.

The other parts are how data collection has changed as we get a greater understanding of what affects land temperature.

Here is a good article, Exposure, instrumentation, and observing practice effects on land temperature measurements that goes into some of the history of this. Why structures were changed, locations, instruments, etc.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-06-25 09:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-06-25 09:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi, the irony in you using an XKCD comic is staggering.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-06-25 09:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12