Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 846 847 848 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-14 14:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
You have to partially unfocus your eyes like you are looking slightly past the image. The 3d image should come into view when you find the right depth of focus.

I had a ton of Magic Eye books as a kid. Those were always really easy for me. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing with this one. From one angle it's just rows of alternating depths, so I guess if that's what I'm supposed to be seeing then I'm all good.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 14:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know the law on that, but I'm going with what's the point of putting the parents on a birth certificate if one of those listed isn't a biological parent.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-14 14:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I don't know the law on that, but I'm going with what's the point of putting the parents on a birth certificate if one of those listed isn't a biological parent.

Biological identification hasn't been relevant in a long time, honestly. What about surrogates? What about donors? Adoptions? In effect, a birth certificate names who is taking guardianship for a newborn and provides a means to determine who has rights.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-08-14 14:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »
You have to partially unfocus your eyes like you are looking slightly past the image. The 3d image should come into view when you find the right depth of focus.

I had a ton of Magic Eye books as a kid. Those were always really easy for me. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be seeing with this one. From one angle it's just rows of alternating depths, so I guess if that's what I'm supposed to be seeing then I'm all good.

I never had any problems with Magic Eye books either, but I don't see anything on this one yet. It's hard to tell whether I'm beginning to see an image, or if I'm just seeing anti-aliasing artifacts in a low-res image file.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-14 14:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Being the biological father is not a prerequisite, otherwise at birth adoptions would list no parents. They just didn't have a line that says "other mother" do they panicked and the guy who was supposed to say "it's fine, the forms haven't been updated yet" instead said "something something Jesus something something the gayz".

Uhhh, what? Where in the world did you get that from?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-14 14:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Being the biological father is not a prerequisite, otherwise at birth adoptions would list no parents. They just didn't have a line that says "other mother" do they panicked and the guy who was supposed to say "it's fine, the forms haven't been updated yet" instead said "something something Jesus something something the gayz".

Uhhh, what? Where in the world did you get that from?

Past experience... But, it was more of a joke than anything.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 14:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Biological identification hasn't been relevant in a long time, honestly. What about surrogates? What about donors? Adoptions? In effect, a birth certificate names who is taking guardianship for a newborn and provides a means to determine who has rights.
If that's the case, then so be it.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-14 14:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't see the need for it at all then.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-14 14:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

^
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-08-14 14:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought this was humorous...

Quote:
Dr. Ben Carson Used Fetal Tissue In Life-Saving Research Before GOP Candidate Ben Carson Condemned It

Further proof that running for president in the Republican Party may actually kill brain cells, Ben Carson seems to have forgotten his own research in his rush to condemn the use of fetal tissue donations in science. Oops.

According to an explosive blog post by an OB/GYN named Jen Gunter, back when Carson was a world-famous neurosurgeon and not a willing member of the Republican primary clown show, he led a study that used “two fetuses aborted in the ninth and 17th week of gestation.” The kinds he now describes as “disturbing” and a symptom of moral decay.

As Gunter noted:

While opining on the uselessness of fetal tissue research to Megyn Kelly Dr. Carson neglected to mention his own paper Colloid Cysts of the Third Ventricle: Immunohistochemical evidence for nonneuropithelial differentiation published in Hum Pathol 23:811-816 in 1992. The materials and methods describe using “human choroid plexus ependyma and nasal mucosa from two fetuses aborted in the ninth and 17th week of gestation.”

And what’s more, Carson was so proud of the findings that he published them along with several other doctors in a medical journal.

Your text to link here...

Sometimes, I wonder if those who believe life begins at conception would support a dependency write off for pregnancies that fall into the previous fiscal year. Somehow, I doubt it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 14:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

Quote:
Dr. Ben Carson Used Fetal Tissue In Life-Saving Research Before GOP Candidate Ben Carson Condemned It

Further proof that running for president in the Republican Party may actually kill brain cells, Ben Carson seems to have forgotten his own research in his rush to condemn the use of fetal tissue donations in science. Oops.

According to an explosive blog post by an OB/GYN named Jen Gunter, back when Carson was a world-famous neurosurgeon and not a willing member of the Republican primary clown show, he led a study that used “two fetuses aborted in the ninth and 17th week of gestation.” The kinds he now describes as “disturbing” and a symptom of moral decay.

As Gunter noted:

While opining on the uselessness of fetal tissue research to Megyn Kelly Dr. Carson neglected to mention his own paper Colloid Cysts of the Third Ventricle: Immunohistochemical evidence for nonneuropithelial differentiation published in Hum Pathol 23:811-816 in 1992. The materials and methods describe using “human choroid plexus ependyma and nasal mucosa from two fetuses aborted in the ninth and 17th week of gestation.”

And what’s more, Carson was so proud of the findings that he published them along with several other doctors in a medical journal.

Sometimes, I wonder if those who believe life begins at conception would support a dependency write off for pregnancies that fall into the previous fiscal year. Somehow, I doubt it.
I would love to see somebody try and bring the case to court. Well... she is eating for two and thus technically has a dependent.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-08-14 14:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

As Gunter noted:

I would love to see somebody try and bring the case to court. Well... she is eating for two and thus technically has a dependent.

What would it mean for miscarriages?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 14:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

As Gunter noted:

Owed taxes the next fiscal year.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-08-14 14:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

As Gunter noted:

Owed taxes the next fiscal year.

Or a percentage for the time gestated?

Weird to think about.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-14 14:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Or a percentage for the time gestated?
I like that idea better.

Cause technically for a time the dependent was there.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-08-14 14:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Colorado Appeals Court Upholds Law, Rules Against Cake Shop

Quote:
A baker in suburban Denver cannot cite his religious beliefs in refusing to make a wedding cake for a gay couple, the Colorado Court of Appeals ruled on Thursday, backing a lower court that decided he had illegally discriminated against the two men.

---

In its opinion on Thursday, a three-judge panel of the Colorado Court of Appeals said the state's Anti Discrimination Act, known as CADA, clearly prohibits businesses from refusing to serve customers based on their sexual orientation.

It said the bakery had argued that wedding cakes inherently convey a celebratory message about marriage, and that the commission's order therefore conflicted with the baker's beliefs.

"We disagree," the appeals court wrote.

"Nothing in the record supports the conclusion that a reasonable observer would interpret Masterpiece's providing a wedding cake for a same-sex couple as an endorsement of same-sex marriage rather than a reflection of its desire to conduct business in accordance with Colorado's public accommodations law," it added.

It said the bakery remains free to continue espousing its beliefs, including opposition to gay marriage.

"However, if it wishes to operate as a public accommodation and conduct business within the State of Colorado, CADA prohibits it from picking and choosing customers based on their sexual orientation," the court wrote.

The owner said he was gonna keep appealing, I don't know to who but the law is very clear, he just needs to check his personal life at the door like every other employee in America.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-14 14:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Good.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-14 14:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Colorado Appeals Court Upholds Law, Rules Against Cake Shop

Quote:
A baker in suburban Denver cannot cite his religious beliefs in refusing to make a wedding cake for a gay couple, the Colorado Court of Appeals ruled on Thursday, backing a lower court that decided he had illegally discriminated against the two men.

---

In its opinion on Thursday, a three-judge panel of the Colorado Court of Appeals said the state's Anti Discrimination Act, known as CADA, clearly prohibits businesses from refusing to serve customers based on their sexual orientation.

It said the bakery had argued that wedding cakes inherently convey a celebratory message about marriage, and that the commission's order therefore conflicted with the baker's beliefs.

"We disagree," the appeals court wrote.

"Nothing in the record supports the conclusion that a reasonable observer would interpret Masterpiece's providing a wedding cake for a same-sex couple as an endorsement of same-sex marriage rather than a reflection of its desire to conduct business in accordance with Colorado's public accommodations law," it added.

It said the bakery remains free to continue espousing its beliefs, including opposition to gay marriage.

"However, if it wishes to operate as a public accommodation and conduct business within the State of Colorado, CADA prohibits it from picking and choosing customers based on their sexual orientation," the court wrote.

The owner said he was gonna keep appealing, I don't know to who but the law is very clear, he just needs to check his personal life at the door like every other employee in America.

Pretty much, but if he really objected so much that he's willing to break the law and jeopardize his business and the livelihood of his employees, why not just say they're too busy to make the cake? After segregation ended, the bigots were smart enough to refuse service because they were too busy or just about to close or had a private event going on.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-08-14 14:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone should really prank that guy. Go into his cake shop with a female friend, order a cake for "the wedding", make arrangements for cake style etc. Then after the wedding, come back and thank the baker, and show him pictures of the lovely gay wedding reception.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-14 14:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

the bigots were smart enough
This is an oxymoron.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-08-14 14:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
This is an oxymoron.

Nah. That class of opinions and intelligence aren't related at all, in either direction. Bigotry comes from a place of fear, not stupidity, and acceptance comes from a place of love, not insight.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-14 14:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
This is an oxymoron.

Nah. That class of opinions and intelligence aren't related at all, in either direction. Bigotry comes from a place of fear, not stupidity, and acceptance comes from a place of love, not insight.

I wouldn't necessarily wholly agree with that statement.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-14 14:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The word bigotry is overused anyway. The way it's used now, almost everyone can be considered a bigot in one form or another.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-08-14 15:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I wouldn't necessarily wholly agree with that statement.

Then you're just as prejudiced as the bigots.

You can disagree with someone's opinions without them being an imbecile. Even horrible opinions come from somewhere emotional, and the sorts of emotions and concerns that turn into bigotry are almost always some form of fear - fear at one's heritage being marginalized, their culture being eroded, their lifestyle changing.

Bigotry is, at its core, a fear of change, and there's nothing inherently tied to intelligence or stupidity about that.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-14 15:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-14 15:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Pleebo... tell me you're joking and that you would not endorse such behavior over a freaking cake.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-14 15:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
Then you're just as prejudiced as the bigots.
Not at all, in fact it's the exact opposite of being prejudiced.

However I'm not going to get into a pissing match about it either.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-14 15:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I do not tie bigotry to fear, but to close mindedness.

Also prejudice is not the same as bigotry.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-14 15:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I do not tie bigotry to fear, but to close mindedness.

And yet you see so many people screaming "BIGOT!" who are just as close-minded.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-14 15:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I take cakes VERY seriously.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 846 847 848 ... 1375 1376 1377