Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 841 842 843 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-08-12 20:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Back to politics:

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Bloodrose 2015-08-12 20:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

This topic of the chemical spill gave me cancer.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 22:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
So who here is saying the EPA isn't at least partially responsible? Why ignore the fact that an intensive cleanup was on the table but, like with any environmental issue, the people didn't give a ***until they were stewing in the mess? But yes, Red v Blue, ya?!

How is the EPA not entirely responsible for the spill?
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-08-12 22:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure if you backread you will find the answer.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-12 22:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Nine hours later and he's still not getting it.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-12 22:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
We can blame the way they handled it
Ramyrez said: »
That said, this is all on the EPA's head one way or another no matter how many points I make, because they shouldn't be bowing to pressure from anyone to not handle things in the best way possible, and they didn't. They deferred to people worried about short-term economic impact, and now those people have long-term impact.

Ramy blamed the EPA before he didn't blame the EPA. No sh!t they didn't mine the ore 100 years ago, they came in and are responsible for spilling it into the river aren't they?
By Ramyrez 2015-08-12 22:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
they came in and are responsible for spilling it into the river aren't they?

They have jurisdiction.

The thing is, it's not even their fault for the reason you think it is.

The problem isn't "too much regulation," the problem is "trying to play nice with the people with money at the cost of their assigned duty." Also, the entire government contract program needs overhauled so that lowest bidders aren't the default winners. Because it's become quite clear through the years that lowest bidders aren't maintaining the level of quality they're supposed to within the context of that bid.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-12 22:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

So who here is saying the EPA isn't at least partially responsible? Why ignore the fact that an intensive cleanup was on the table but, like with any environmental issue, the people didn't give a ***until they were stewing in the mess? But yes, Red v Blue, ya?!

1. They didn't create or store the waste, that was done by a mining company almost 100 years ago.

2. The waste has been leaking for several decades.

3. The local area was hesitant to allow them to clean up the site before the condition of the containment was unstable.

4. Civilian contractors actually cause the spill.

The EPA's fault in the whole thing is being late to the table with common sense regulation. Simply pooling heavy metals and mine waste will always lead to problems. They also allowed public opinion to dissuade them from cleaning up the thing decades ago. And, they allowed contractors to assume roles they obviously weren't trained for or just plain weren't willing to perform correctly.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 06:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 07:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I love seeing long, heated arguments where apparently nobody had a clue what the actual story was. Good stuff.

You call that long, heated or an argument?

Also like how 2 (at the most) not knowing equates (in your mind) to "nobody."

That's good stuff.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-13 08:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

1. They didn't create or store the waste, that was done by a mining company almost 100 years ago.

2. The waste has been leaking for several decades.

3. The local area was hesitant to allow them to clean up the site before the condition of the containment was unstable.

4. Civilian contractors actually cause the spill.

The EPA's fault in the whole thing is being late to the table with common sense regulation. Simply pooling heavy metals and mine waste will always lead to problems. They also allowed public opinion to dissuade them from cleaning up the thing decades ago. And, they allowed contractors to assume roles they obviously weren't trained for or just plain weren't willing to perform correctly.

Confirmed! Big government can never do wrong in your eyes and if only the EPA had MORE power, things like this could be avoided. There are about 16000 people who work for the EPA. How many do you think are actual cleanup crews?

I mean I could see your rational for the EPA not being responsible for the pollution in the area before the spill, but how is the EPA not fully responsible for spilling million of gallons of toxic waste into the river? Where are you getting that the delay of the cleanup made the pollution more unstable? I've read cnn NPR etc and no one is making the case that he EPA isn't fully responsible except for the loons in the comment sections (which are hilarious to read).
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 08:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Your use of hyperbole is only hurting your point.

Not to mention that he didn't even say to give them more power.
By Yatenkou 2015-08-13 08:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If the EPA was intending to clean the site up, and the people were preventing it on the grounds that it'd kill tourism, that's the people's fault, not the EPA o.o
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 08:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yatenkou said: »
If the EPA was intending to clean the site up, and the people were preventing it on the grounds that it'd kill tourism, that's the people's fault, not the EPA o.o

Well it's more of this:

The EPA wanted to do A. big cleanup, take care of all of this *** (by all accounts it looks like it would have prevented this mess).

The public (and companies) were like no, we want them to mine again+ tourism.

So the EPA came up with Plan B. which they were still unsure of it's effectiveness of a permanent solution (dam the ***up with a concrete header, and hope it doesn't find another hole to leak out). Which they were starting the processes for and ***went bad when the debris dam broke and leaked poison everywhere much faster.

Exactly what was going on at the particular moment or how it was done I hadn't been able to find, so it would be premature to even call it incompetence. It's a mistake alright though.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-13 08:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

If I left a bucket of sulfuric acid in my house and you a sulfuric acid expert came in and instead of disposing of it properly just poured it in my bathtub, would it really be my fault for having it in the first place?
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 08:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

If I left a bucket of sulfuric acid in my house and you a sulfuric acid expert came in and instead of disposing of it properly just poured it in my bathtub, would it really be my fault for having it in the first place?

Your analogy is incorrect as well.

Also if it's corked with glass, considering most tubs are porcelain, it would just sit there.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 08:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, I'm not used to seeing Cracked approach the subject from this angle. I'm just going to leave this here, as I know some will find it intriguing.

6 Reasons You Can't Trust Science Anymore
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 08:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Also if it's corked with glass, considering most tubs are porcelain, it would just sit there.

I'm pretty sure he was implying that it was poured down the drain, so I don't know what corking has to do with anything.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 08:28:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, I'm not used to seeing Cracked approach the subject from this angle. I'm just going to leave this here, as I know some will find it intriguing.

Still for publicly available documents that were the result of at least partially public grants.

This is the 21st century, having to pay to read articles is a bad joke.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 08:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure he was implying that it was poured down the drain, so I don't know what corking has to do with anything.

It's still a bad analogy, as it misrepresents the scenario entirely.

But he didn't say down the drain, he said in the bathtub however that was more of a joke and entirely moot to the point that it's a horrible analogy and dishonest.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 08:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Also found this. It's practically a religion now, so it counts for this thread.

[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-13 08:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The EPA is directly responsible for the leak. Local apathy is responsible for the mess persisting in the first place. Ignoring the latter to make some statement about big government is stupidly shortsighted and biased.

The locals seemed more than content to let big government continually babysit their pollution when it was out of sight and out of mind. Does this mean they'll be remedying the situation themselves now post-cleanup? (lolno)
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-13 08:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more like "6 glaring problems with science publishing that most scientists themselves *** about".
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 09:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more like "6 glaring problems with science publishing that most scientists themselves *** about".

Yep. But hey, that's Cracked's title guy for ya.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-13 09:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You must be tons of fun at parties bro...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 09:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

You must be tons of fun at parties bro...

Not your bro, guy.

Also: loads.
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-08-13 09:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

john kasich cnn interview

I'm thinking about starting an "Evil Ohioans for Kasich" organization....if there isn't one already...

he just needs to lose that pittsburg accent....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-13 10:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
India is invading America!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-08-13 10:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Poor poor Hilary, now under criminal investigation. I betcha Obama has lost faith in her and is cutting the "get out now and no prison time" deal over her email server as we speak.
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-08-13 10:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Poor poor Hilary, now under criminal investigation. I betcha Obama has lost faith in her and is cutting the "get out now and no prison time" deal over her email server as we speak.

link?

all I see is huma lawyering up...

huma lawyers up
First Page 2 3 ... 841 842 843 ... 1375 1376 1377