Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 838 839 840 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-08-09 11:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the basic writing of Nietzsche which is a lot of books (The Birth of Tragedy, Beyond Good and Evil, On the Genealogy of Morals, The Case of Wagner, and Ecce Homo) combined. It weighs in at 896 pages. The odds of me reading all that is slim but I'll give it the old college try !
By fonewear 2015-08-09 11:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

However this book is far easier to read it is just a bunch of aphorisms:

Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-09 19:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

#FreeSpiritLivesMatter
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-11 05:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile, in the future facebook might give banks information about trustworthiness of its users, to discriminate for loans admissions.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 07:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Hah!

As if the current system wasn't faulty enough in determining borrower trustworthiness.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-11 07:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Hah!

As if the current system wasn't faulty enough in determining borrower trustworthiness.
Do you even know the guidelines set by Dodd-Frank, or what the guidelines were beforehand? (hint: nothing's changed since Dodd-Frank in terms of lending guidelines) Do you even know anything about the banking system at all, or is your blind hatred clouding your judgement again?
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 08:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/11/sheriffs-are-asking-for-armored-trucks-to-wage-war-on-marijuana-yes-really/

loldrugwar
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 08:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Hah!

Do you even know the guidelines set by Dodd-Frank, or what the guidelines were beforehand? (hint: nothing's changed since Dodd-Frank in terms of lending guidelines) Do you even know anything about the banking system at all, or is your blind hatred clouding your judgement again?

Do you know anything about private loans period, Mister Trust Fund? Have you had to finance anything in your life?

Have you ever had to worry about your inability to finance something because even though you have a great job and pay all of your bills quite timely, larger than the minimum payments, you still might not get a loan because you dared to be poor and get an education and it took time to network and get somewhere in your life?

I accept that the current standard of determining loan eligibility works, albeit not perfectly. What I'm saying is that adding Facebook as a determining factor is going to exacerbate the existing problems in an imperfect system, and not helping anything.

KN, I have generally liked you in the past despite our general differences, as beyond politics we share a sense of humor and a lot of common interests, but I don't know if it's the stress of your "new job," or the recent history of headbutting you've got with the mods, but you're being awfully insulting recently and it's a lot more personal than Nausi or Sav's random, wild accusations of mental disorders and general disdain.

I think you need a drink and a little more vacation time.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 08:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow.

Talk about priorities being out of line...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 08:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

"That dude is growing pot in his basement, we need an armored car with a turret to get him!"

Ok look, I can see them going after meth (not with the military weaponry), but in general, as meth is some hardcore ***. But pot, come on?

Then again, a lot of the same reasons pot should be legal, the other controlled substances should too. Just it's hard (even for me) to get behind meth, coke, heroin.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Then again, a lot of the same reasons pot should be legal, the other controlled substances should too. Just it's hard (even for me) to get behind meth, coke, heroin.

Decriminalize and regulate.

Just like you did with Capone. Don't beat them by fighting them. Beat them by hitting them in the pocket.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 09:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Decriminalize and regulate.

Just like you did with Capone. Don't beat them by fighting them. Beat them by hitting them in the pocket.

Again: fine with pot, especially since then (hopefully) people would digest it's products more instead of smoking it, cuz holy hell.

The rest: just can't get behind.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Given the utter failure domestically and internationally of the war on drugs, I'm willing to risk it to change up the tactic and see how it goes.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 09:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Given the utter failure domestically and internationally of the war on drugs, I'm willing to risk it to change up the tactic and see how it goes.

I'd say it couldn't be worse than the situation they've created, but I'm open to the idea of the high probability of them screwing it up more.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 09:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say it couldn't be worse than the situation they've created, but I'm open to the idea of the high probability of them screwing it up more.

Fair enough.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-11 10:05:12
Link | Quote | Reply

By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 10:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

The whole toilet seat up/down thing has always puzzled me since I was a child. I mean, I "get" it.

But really.

Do other guys ***standing up and I'm doing it wrong?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-11 11:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama's assistant tries to shoot boyfriend

Posting it for curiousity. I wanna see how this is spinned to blame Obama somehow.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-11 12:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole toilet seat up/down thing has always puzzled me since I was a child. I mean, I "get" it.

But really.

Doing it wrong is leaving the seat down and peeing on it.

Personally I don't care where you leave the seat. But you WILL put the lid down in my house or my dog will kiss you. Right after taking a drink.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 12:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

But you WILL put the lid down in my house or my dog will kiss you. Right after taking a drink.

Gotta be honest, maybe it's just 33 years of "feminist oppression," but I've always put seat and lid down afterward.

I mean, who is to say I won't have to sit next time I'm in there? And hey, I'd rather look at a hardwood surface than the bowel of a toilet any day.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-11 13:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Bank of Canada urges ‘Star Trek’ fans to stop ‘Spocking’ their fivers
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-11 14:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Haha.

That's a few months old. I remember seeing it a while back. But it's pretty great either way.

Picture for those who don't want to follow the link:

By fonewear 2015-08-11 14:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Canada has a bank ? When you run out of places to store maple syrup or hockey sticks. I guess you put stuff in the bank !
By Jetackuu 2015-08-11 14:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

But really.

Reverse cow-girl?

But seriously, put the lid and the cover down, is what I usually do at home. When there isn't a cover, I just leave it however I'm done with it, ***'em.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-11 14:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Rick Perry: Zombie
The Washington Post

Quote:
Rick Perry, who as Texas governor oversaw hundreds of executions, is no doubt used to the term "dead man walking." With news that his campaign has stopped paying staff due to cash flow problems, our Chris Cillizza suggests that the term might also apply to Perry -- or at least his candidacy.

But that's not quite right. The better analogy is probably that he'll be undead -- shuffling around surviving on someone else's brains (or, more accurately, money).

Perry was near the bottom of the pile in fundraising in the second quarter, and he spent 50 cents for every dollar he raised. That was through the end of June -- before he last-minute press for poll number spikes to get into that first debate. He had $800,000 on-hand July 1 -- not a whole lot to pay 400 staff, plus polls and travel and so on.

But that said, Rick Perry will not vanish from the campaign trail. "We’ve got plenty of money," Austin Barbour, the head of a super PAC backing Perry told our Robert Costa. "The super PAC is not going to let Rick Perry down." The PACs "saw this was coming," Barbour said, so it "started working on our own plan. We knew we would have to go build a ground game." So they'll pick up the slack in early primary states.

Super PACs, which aren't constrained in fundraising the way candidates are, can spend money on anything they see fit, as long as that doesn't get spent in coordination with the candidate. Which is why candidates all have super PACs backing them: it's a fail-safe mechanism for the candidacy at worst and, at best, a potential primary driver of it. Denizens of Iowa and New Hampshire and South Carolina will still see Perry advocates out and about, advocating -- but those advocates won't be paid by the Perry campaign. (Including, it seems, the ones that are actually on staff.)

Earlier this year, we noted that the campaigns of Jon Huntsman and Newt Gingrich in 2012 were kept alive thanks to an infusion of support from external PACs. In Huntsman's case, it was one run by his father; in Gingrich's, by billionaire Sheldon Adelson. Each managed to struggle forward for a few more weeks thanks to ads run by PACs; each faltered when that lifeblood was cut off. Jon Huntsman/Newt Gingrich/Rick Perry mounted to the front of some billionaire's dusty car as they try to run the rebellious Hillary Clinton off the road. [Editor's note: Philip assures me this is a reference to a popular movie.]

The nonchalance of Barbour's "we saw this coming" is pretty amazing. Granted, the campaign and its backers are in full-fledged this-is-no-big-deal spin mode right now. But even so, shrugging at "we figured the campaign would be unable to even pay its staff and we are prepared for that eventuality" may be honest but it's also revealing. The campaign itself was never essential to the effort. The PAC is.

So Zombie Rick Perry will shuffle around the primary states for a while, eventually joined by more and more zombies that in another time would have gracefully bowed out but now can keep going. Zombie Rick Santorum, Zombie Chris Christie: the Campaigning Dead. If enough stay in long enough, peeling away enough votes, the race shifts. There's no consolidation, and a guy polling at, say, 20-odd percent could start winning states.

Talk about television dramas.
And he ever got those smart glasses.
By fonewear 2015-08-11 14:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

That is a lot of words but I do appreciate the effort !

Rick Perry is about as likeable as Jeb Bush which is to say not at all !
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-11 15:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
‘Flying spaghetti monster’ observed off coast of Angola
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-11 15:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

No, that's definitely a Cthulu Chocobo. It's an easy mistake to make.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-08-11 16:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Proof his noodliness exists.

Checkmate, Atheists.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-11 16:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Proof his noodliness exists.

Checkmate, Atheists.

I think we've arrived at a paradox. The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster was founded by atheists as a trope on deistic religions. If FSM is real, it's like disproving a negative, because it validates the religion that was founded to invalidate the others.... I need to lay down.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 838 839 840 ... 1375 1376 1377