Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 717 718 719 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I've heard of even Christians accepting gay people as equal that is something a Christian would never do...but...here you go:

http://www.gaychurch.org/
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-30 13:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Jeremiah Wright never engaged in politics from the pulpit not even once !
He endorsed political candidates?

Because him being an *** about jews, white people, etc is freedom of speech and religion.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-30 13:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

persecutes people fo rbeing gay and actively fights against them in courts to keep them from gaining rights then acts surprised when it happens to them like its wrong or something. You know... people fighting for something they believe in is somehow wrong in this case. If it was a church fighting for something they believe in though that's alright right?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 13:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a question, because I think this is the case, but I'm not positive, to be 100% honest.

If a church provides ZERO community services, do they still maintain tax-exempt status?

Edit: I ask because I don't really think it's right even to call most churches non-profit. I've seen the landholdings of some churches. They spit in the face of "non-profit".

"Nah. We were given 40 acres with marvelous facilities. This sort of luxury retreat for our clergy and giving members is entirely in keeping with our mission statement of helping the poor..."
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 13:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Oh ***, he found an opinion piece on a website no one's ever heard of by an author trying to generate clickbait with his poorly-researched article.

THIS MEANS SOMETHING

Oh yes, let's pretend that he's alone on this and that it all came from his head. I'm sure nobody believes poorly-researched things that they find on the internet anyway, amirite?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-30 13:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
They're using the gay marriage ruling as a tool to remove tax-exempt status from churches. Are you guys blind? The author himself connected the two. Just because the argument is old doesn't mean that the two aren't related now.
I could find a random article connecting gay marriage with the end of the world.

Does that mean the end of the world is about to happen now?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-30 13:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh ***, he found an opinion piece on a website no one's ever heard of by an author trying to generate clickbait with his poorly-researched article.

THIS MEANS SOMETHING

Oh yes, let's pretend that he's alone on this and that it all came from his head. I'm sure nobody believes poorly-researched things that they find on the internet anyway, amirite?
You're right. Let's wet our pants over imagined scenarios instead.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

This gay marriage thing is so 4 days ago isn't there anything else in the news ?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 13:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
They're using the gay marriage ruling as a tool to remove tax-exempt status from churches. Are you guys blind? The author himself connected the two. Just because the argument is old doesn't mean that the two aren't related now.
I could find a random article connection gay marriage with the end of the world.

That... was a crappy analogy. Stick those heads back in the sand, though. As more things come to light, you can pretend that you were in on it all along and find more solid ways to justify your hatred by that time.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

A more interesting story:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/kkk-chapter-north-carolina-rally-south-carolina-statehouse-confederate-flag-119548.html?ml=po

TLDR: KKK is at it again !

The Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan’s Pelham, North Carolina, chapter have reserved the Statehouse Grounds in South Carolina for a rally next month.

James Spears, the Great Titan of the chapter, said the group would be rallying to protest “the Confederate flag being took down for all the wrong reasons.”

“It’s part of white people’s culture,” he added.

Brian Gaines, who runs the South Carolina Budget and Control Board, which oversees reservations, confirmed the scheduling in an email to POLITICO Monday. He added that the group submitted the request on June 23 and, because his office allows any group, regardless of ideology, to reserve the grounds on a first-come, first-serve basis, the KKK will be able to hold its rally.

The event is planned for July 18 from 3-5 p.m., just over one month after Dylann Roof allegedly entered a historic church in Charleston and shot to death nine African-Americans during a Bible study meeting. Reports indicate Roof was attempting to incite a race war and had read 34 various materials from white supremacist groups online before plotting his crime.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 13:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
They have to find some way to punish those who believe differently than they do while making it as PC friendly as possible. Saying "your specific belief is what we're punishing you for" is just a little too hard for some of them to say outright.

Yeah. That's it. Keep playing the victim, like Christianity isn't still the major force in this country.

My bad, I forgot that you guys had the monopoly on that.

Did you see this one?

Gays are feeling remorse because their success is absolving them of their victim hood.

Quote:
“There is something wonderful about being part of an oppressed community,”

Quote:
...just as the gay marriage movement peaks, so does a debate about whether gay identity is dimming, overtaken by its own success.

Quote:
The unifying experience for many gay people is not marriage but coming out of the closet. In 1997, as Ellen DeGeneres rehearsed the sitcom scene in which her character came out, she broke into tears every time she rehearsed saying, “I’m gay.” She was welling up because of “shame, you know, self-hatred, and all of these feelings that society feeds you to tell you that you’re wrong,” she said in a later interview.

But many gay people in their teens, 20s and 30s today say the phrase “coming out of the closet” does not apply to them because they were never in one. For Ariel Boone of Oakland, Calif., who began to describe herself as *** in 2008, when she was 18, the time between when she realized her attraction to women and when she started telling others was “maybe 12 hours.”

They even lament that being in the closet is no longer the oppressive experience it once was.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 13:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

C'mon. That's like...two weeks ago now.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You are still talking about taxes from like 3 pages ago though !

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-30 13:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
They even lament that being in the closet is no longer the oppressive experience it once was.

Well if that's what they want, they should start going to church and voting for Republicans, yeah?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-30 13:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I could find a random article connecting gay marriage with the end of the world.

People do actually believe that... you know homo marriage and heathens bringing about natural disasters and dooming the world. good thing for those people though cuz they gonna get raptured and all.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean a log cabin republican we got those already !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_Cabin_Republicans

A gay Republican *gasp* Hell has frozen over.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-30 13:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I could find a random article connection gay marriage with the end of the world.

That... was a crappy analogy. Stick those heads back in the sand, though. As more things come to light, you can pretend that you were in on it all along and find more solid ways to justify your hatred by that time.
You're a hypocrite lol... plain and simple. You're ok with one side lobbying against the other because you agree with it or because you don't mind it or it doesn't bother you or whatever reason you have but as soon as the other side does it to you then it's all hell no! You guys are *** stop trying to take away my stuffs!

Edit: Also, how does the church or anyone else opposed to gay marriage justify their hatred? Or if it's "because religion" that makes it ok?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-30 13:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Another day, another article Nausi quote mines and completely missed the point of.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-30 13:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
The article you posted advocated taxing all churches no matter if they agree with gay marriage or not.

Are you suggesting that the article I posted doesn't advocate that churches should pay taxes if they don't participate in gay marriage?

Could you twist the narrative a little harder? I think I see a bit of it not quite bent enough to fit your needs.

Article Headline: Does your church ban gay marriage? Then it should start paying taxes.

Then in the first paragraph:

Quote:
...now that the US government formally recognizes marriage equality as a fundamental right, it really shouldn’t skew the tax code so as to give millions of dollars in tax breaks to groups which remain steadfastly bigoted on the subject.

Response from P&R Nausi's "twisting the narrative".

Brilliant Ramy, just brilliant.

Your Article said:
...everybody has freedom of conscience, including religious organizations; the tax code should apply equally to all; and the government should not be in the business of “picking winners”, and deciding who does and who doesn’t qualify for tax exemptions. So, abolish tax exemption for all religious organizations, whether they support gay marriage or not. Religion is concerned with spiritual matters; when it comes to taxes, the general principle is “give unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s”. Which is to say, give to the country’s secular monetary authorities that which you owe in tax.
Yes the guy is of the opinion that the churches should be punished, they don't deserve their tax breaks, they never did, but we should surely use this new legislative victory as an instrument to further punish them.

What is the purpose of quoting this? Does this somehow invalidate something earlier in the article?
Further punish? That means that there is an existing punishment.
No.
There is no discussion about punitive damages, charges, or such.

The person's core argument is that churches should not be tax exempt. They are using the argument that discrimination against gays is basis for removing a tax exemption privilege.

Now, speaking personally, I think that removing tax exempt status from churches is theoretically a good idea (in terms of equality), but a horrible idea in practice. Right now, that's pretty much the only stick you have with regards to preventing religions from actively participating in politics en masse. Removing the incentive to stay (at least in appearance) out of politics would be extremely detrimental to the US system of governance.

Even worse than reality television.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 13:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Misguided at best, attention whoring at the worst.

Maybe try being in the closet in some redneck nowhere town and see how "easy" it is.

To quote a comment I saw on facebook when a friend from back home commented positively on equality, "Yeah, that's great for them, just make sure they all wear rainbows so I can keep them away from me."
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-30 13:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Another day, another article Nausia quote mines and completely missed the point of.
C'mon Pleebo we all know that our liberal mental disorder just doesn't allow us to see the genious in his posts.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-30 13:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

One opinion piece from a gay guy means "they're" trying to remove tax exempt status from churches.

But one opinion piece talking about the how gay marriage leads to the end of the world, doesn't mean the end of the world will occur?

Shocked -I'm shocked- that someone's (single) opinion doesn't change reality.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-30 13:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Hatred of what?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 13:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Now, speaking personally, I think that removing tax exempt status from churches is theoretically a good idea (in terms of equality), but a horrible idea in practice. Right now, that's pretty much the only stick you have with regards to preventing religions from actively participating in politics en masse. Removing the incentive to stay (at least in appearance) out of politics would be extremely detrimental to the US system of governance.

Somehow, I'm not sure that the Catholics, at least, qualify anyhow. Not when the Pope is constantly meeting with world leaders, including our own.

Not political my left nut.

And I wonder how many denominational-related lobby groups get behind candidates with the wink-nod from a religion while the religion's national committee goes "Oh, no, we're not funding anything political..."
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Misguided at best, attention whoring at the worst.

Maybe try being in the closet in some redneck nowhere town and see how "easy" it is.

To quote a comment I saw on facebook when a friend from back home commented positively on equality, "Yeah, that's great for them, just make sure they all wear rainbows so I can keep them away from me."

You are using Facebook as an example for anything intellectual I'll have to stop you right there...
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 13:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
You are using Facebook as an example for anything intellectual I'll have to stop you right there...

I'm using it as an example of what real life in the boonies is like. The ignorance is out there.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Being ignorant isn't so bad you are ignorant of that fact you are ignorant !

Not all of us live in the city with the hipsters.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been around my share of rednecks and they are mostly harmless. They say dumb stuff but they don't hurt anyone.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-30 13:36:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Somehow, I'm not sure that the Catholics, at least, qualify anyhow. Not when the Pope is constantly meeting with world leaders, including our own.

Not political my left nut.

And I wonder how many denominational-related lobby groups get behind candidates with the wink-nod from a religion while the religion's national committee goes "Oh, no, we're not funding anything political..."
There's a world of difference between the current "nod and wink" policies, and rampant demagoguery. Which is quite a fun word to spell, by the way.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 717 718 719 ... 1375 1376 1377