Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 522 523 524 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 14:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I'm just getting sick of hearing the word "racist" at this point. It's so overused now that it's starting to lose meaning. It used to be a serious accusation, but the broader the application, the less it's going to matter.

What could have been titled "Cops fail to use proper protocol, prisoner receives fatal injury in their care" is now titled "Racist white cops kill prisoner because he's black, obviously". I don't know what was running through the mind of the cops, but assuming it was racist just because we have a negative interaction between white and black people is horribly unfair. How far of a jump is it from here to conclusions again?

Chalk it up to serious racial tensions in America. Tensions that aren't going to subside so long as status quo passes as normal behavior in the country and an underclass flounders about with little hope or future.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 14:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just getting sick of hearing the word "racist" at this point. It's so overused now that it's starting to lose meaning. It used to be a serious accusation, but the broader the application, the less it's going to matter.

What could have been titled "Cops fail to use proper protocol, prisoner receives fatal injury in their care" is now titled "Racist white cops kill prisoner because he's black, obviously". I don't know what was running through the mind of the cops, but assuming it was racist just because we have a negative interaction between white and black people is horribly unfair. How far of a jump is it from here to conclusions again?
I could care less about race at this point. This is about forming an actual investigation into police conduct and the amount of ***police get away with. We won't publicly admit you *** up but we will pay out millions in civil courts or settlements because we know you *** up...

What pissed me off the most recently is the police commissioner in chicago was defending the off duty officer who fired into an alley way from his vehicle striking and killing an innocent woman. He got off on a technicality and all the top cop could say was that it was a good thing he got off and that prosecuting cops puts their lives in danger because now they might hesitate to shoot someone. What about the lives of the people that they are supposed to protect? He was off duty and did not present himself as an officer of the law and shot into the crowd because he thought he saw a guy pull a gun. He had no purpose in being there and he did not have to stop. He did not call for on duty police officers to take care of it and rather took it into his own hands... and all we can do is let him off the hook pay out 4.5 million to the family of the victim and continue to pay him.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 14:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
But how can anyone rationalize the notion that if he HAD been in prison, he wouldn't have been in a better spot than he is now.
How is this relevant to any conversation?

It's like me saying that if he was born in England this never would have happened.

It did happen.

We're talking about how justice was mis-administered to this guy. If justice had also been properly administered in past arrests IE by keeping him in prison, he'd probably be alive as well.

Much much different than if he had been born in England or if he had been born at all. But unless it lets you throw mud at the cops you're seemingly un-interested in it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 14:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Quote:
Last week, Davis said there were three stops: the first to put leg irons on Gray, the second "to deal with Mr. Gray" (an incident, he said, that remained under investigation) and the third to pick up a prisoner in an unrelated matter.

The new stop, which "was discovered from a privately owned camera," Davis said Thursday, came between the first and second stops.

The latest revelations came shortly after two new accounts of what happened to Gray emerged -- threads that could offer clues as to where and when the man whose death sparked protests in Baltimore was fatally injured.

The first comes from a relative of one of the officers involved in the arrest. She told CNN the officer thinks Gray was injured while he was being arrested -- before he was put inside a police van.
Source
Looks like the cops lied about how many stops they made and a relative of a police officer thinks the cops injured him!

Is this enough to change your mind again KN?
I never said anything to be honest, I'm just pointing out that it's very possible that the death was self-induced.

Notice how quiet I have been about the whole incident? Only thing I posted about it was the prisoner's statement about how the incident could possibly be a self-inflicted injury/death, and noted how it wouldn't really matter in the eyes of the rioters....
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
is vandalism a greater crime than 200 years of systematic oppression death while in police custody?
Even while it was self-inflicted?
Seems like you pretty clearly stated it was self-inflicted lol... way to backpedal though.

There is this one too...
Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
I, for one, have no problem believing that the police were wrong in the first place and roughed up a guy too much. (Not that he was without guilt in going into police custody in the first place, but that doesn't make his mistreatment okay.)
Even when evidence is presented that shows that the injury was self inflicted?
Sorry, I forget that words are difficult for you, self-induced is also another term for self-inflicted.

Pointing out a contradiction in "public knowledge" is not making a statement....
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 14:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Chalk it up to serious racial tensions in America. Tensions that aren't going to subside so long as status quo passes as normal behavior in the country and an underclass flounders about with little hope or future.

Thank Obama and his policies.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 14:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

We're talking about how justice was mis-administered to this guy. If justice had also been properly administered in past arrests IE by keeping him in prison, he'd probably be alive as well.

If he'd been rehabbed it could have been different too. But it was likely he was taken in as just another waste-of-life drug offender, treated as such, and dumped back out on the street because there are hundreds of thousands of more just like him they need to process too, because that is the face of America's drug problem.

Overbooked prisons and discarded poor people.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 14:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Obama.

*** really?

Really?

I think we're done here.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 14:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If he'd been rehabbed it could have been different too. But it was likely he was taken in as just another waste-of-life drug offender, treated as such, and dumped back out on the street because there are hundreds of thousands of more just like him they need to process too, because that is the face of America's drug problem.

Good point (seriously), that's another abject failure of the justice system, we expect it to rehab people and it constantly fails.

If only there was some way an individual could choose to not be involved in drugs. (sarcasm)
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 14:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Obama.

*** really?

Really?

I think we're done here.

You really think racial tensions would be in the same place if he wasn't in office? He isn't fanning the flames for political gain?

GTFO.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 14:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

But how can anyone rationalize the notion that if he HAD been in prison, he wouldn't have been in a better spot than he is now.
How is this relevant to any conversation?

It's like me saying that if he was born in England this never would have happened.

It did happen.

Much much different than if he had been born in England or if he had been born at all. But unless it lets you throw mud at the cops you're seemingly un-interested in it.
It is no different Nausi. All of it is fiction at this point. You can ask any what if queation you want at this point and it makes absolutely no difference at all. This did happen. ***hasn't been flung at the cops yet by me. What I do want is an honest investigation into what actually happened not "well if this happened at this time then this event never would have taken place and he'd be alive in prison".
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 14:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, I forget that words are difficult for you, self-induced is also another term for self-inflicted.

Pointing out a contradiction in "public knowledge" is not making a statement....
Ahh more deflection from KN... says he didn't say anything at all then you show him that he did and he talks about self-induced and being another term for self-inflicted lol... What that has anything to do with anything... who knows...

You took a stance... you backpedalled and now you continue to while throwing out some insults along the way.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 14:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You really think racial tensions would be in the same place if he wasn't in office?

Nausi this path was set when Barack Obama wasn't even a twinkle in Barack Sr.'s eye.

But you can't acknowledge cause-and-effect in history because it defies your feelings that each any every person is 100% responsible for their successes and failures, their associates, and their situations. No one has never been effected by circumstance or the actions of others ever.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-04-30 14:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Good point (seriously), that's another abject failure of the justice system, we expect it to rehab people and it constantly fails.

If only there was some way an individual could choose to not be involved in drugs. (sarcasm)
Hey, he's a boot-strapping, self-starting entrepreneur! Possibly a job-creator!
Just not in a locally legitimate line of business.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 14:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

says he didn't say anything at all then you show him that he did and he talks about self-induced and being another term for self-inflicted lol... What that has anything to do with anything... who knows...
Yeah, words are a hard concept for you, especially when they are not colored.

You took a stance... you backpedalled and now you continue to while throwing out some insults along the way.
What was my stance? Can you let the class know?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 14:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

TIL: Obama fanned racial tensions back in 1776 when the country was formed on racist ideals.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 14:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

says he didn't say anything at all then you show him that he did and he talks about self-induced and being another term for self-inflicted lol... What that has anything to do with anything... who knows...
Yeah, words are a hard concept for you, especially when they are not colored.

Pay no attention. he assumes he knows your deepest motivations and projects them as fiat.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 14:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You really think racial tensions would be in the same place if he wasn't in office?

Nausi this path was set when Barack Obama wasn't even a twinkle in Barack Sr.'s eye.

But you can't acknowledge cause-and-effect in history because it defies your feelings that each any every person is 100% responsible for their successes and failures, their associates, and their situations. No one has never been effected by circumstance or the actions of others ever.

Oh give me a *** break. This guy has played the race card on the national stage every chance he's be able to.

#blacklivesmatter
#ifihadasonhewouldlookliketrevon
#thecambridgepoliceactedstupidly

Clearly throwing gasoline on a fire plays no role in its lifespan.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 14:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Hey, he's a boot-strapping, self-starting entrepreneur! Possibly a job-creator!
Just not in a locally legitimate line of business.
You mean like a gangster? Good thing we don't put them in jail.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 14:32:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Only if they're black. if they're white and have money we let them hold public office.

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 14:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Thanks Obama.

*** really?

Really?

I think we're done here.

You really think racial tensions would be in the same place if he wasn't in office? He isn't fanning the flames for political gain?

GTFO.
What political gain would he receive when he's already run for president and won election, twice? He can't run for office a third time, two term limit for presidency, unlike all other elective offices in this country, or have you forgotten? The seeds for what we're seeing now weren't planted by Obama, but by Reagan. The day the "war on drugs" started in the 1980's, and mandatory minimum sentencing became law, turning what would've before that been considered as law abiding citizens became felons unable to be employed in gainful positions.
Political gain for social unrest? More liberals in office. Because, honestly, liberals are more suited in social affairs. What better way to gain more overall power than to create your own problems?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 14:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Only if they're black. if they're white and have money we let them hold public office.

[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 14:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You said "gangster", so I posted a guy who specifically has ties with the mafia.

Show me a group picture of Congress and I'll show you a photo with at least a simple majority of criminal scum.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-30 14:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So the suspect list in freddy's death has been extended to include....

Whatever lawyer that got him off with a lighter sentence.
Obama
Freddy
The justice System
Ninjas
Our Founding Fathers
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-04-30 14:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to agree with you. I genuinely do.

But police forces around the country have opted to militarize themselves in spite of the lowest rates of violence and property crime on record. They train their rookies like front-line soldiers in Fallujah. And there really are systemic and rampant abuses tied to race and/or poverty in many places, such as Ferguson.

What alternative narrative can you offer to the problem of an increasingly martial and violent police force that is most active in minority neighborhoods in the absence of compelling motivation? At least when the National Guard was shooting kids on Kent State campus, we could feel reasonably sure there wasn't an endemic racial bias involved, but that doesn't pan with the facts in evidence.

I've lately noticed a lot of people want to shy far, far away from the word "racist." I find the notion fascinating. One person has said that an organization can only be called "racist" if they explicitly state that they're motivated or organized around racial/racist concepts. Isn't that a convenient way to circumvent reality? Unless you're the KKK or the Black Panthers, you're not racist. For all that certain people keep trying to tell me that racism is dead, it seems to be a word that carries more fear than being accused of being a mass child murderer.

Edit:
I will say that not all police departments are the same. My city's police department has a bunch of whiny, self-aggrandizing *** who dislike how mundane their job is, but we have very few incidents of police-civilian violence. I've had to call the cops for domestic violence a couple times (my neighbors, not me) and, if anything, I've been a little perturbed that they didn't kick down the door. In hindsight, though, I'd rather they were circumspect than the alternative.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 14:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Old and busted: Mother of the year!

New hotness: Hitting kids is bad, Mkay?

How long before DCF agents take her kid away?
How long before a lawyer offers to help the kid sue his parents?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 14:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
being a mass child murderer.

Getting tons of kids killed gets you elected. With the popular vote, even, the second time around.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 14:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It amazes me that after posting what you do you can come back with a garbage reply like this.

You posted the original article specifically noting that it was self-inflicted. Two times after that you specifically responded to other posts noting again only that it was self-inflicted. then you continues on about how the guy didn't know who was in the other container but he was sure that the other guy was inflicting damage upon himself.

Now it's "I never took a stance!"
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 14:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Thanks Obama.

*** really?

Really?

I think we're done here.

GTFO.
What political gain would he receive when he's already run for president and won election, twice? He can't run for office a third time, two term limit for presidency, unlike all other elective offices in this country, or have you forgotten? The seeds for what we're seeing now weren't planted by Obama, but by Reagan. The day the "war on drugs" started in the 1980's, and mandatory minimum sentencing became law, turning what would've before that been considered as law abiding citizens became felons unable to be employed in gainful positions.
Political gain for social unrest? More liberals in office. Because, honestly, liberals are more suited in social affairs. What better way to gain more overall power than to create your own problems?

So nothing about the War on Drugs.
Mandatory sentencing / Rockefeller drug laws.
Subsequent destruction of Central/Latin America.
The ghettoization of the 70s/80s cities and now subsequent gentrification.
Urban planning that intentionally skipped, left out or diverted around areas of minority populations.
Critical service denial with regards to home loans, jobs and neighborhood infrastructure?

Seriously? Just a lib/con argument? You're a joke.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-04-30 14:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Old and busted: Mother of the year!

New hotness: Hitting kids is bad, Mkay?

How long before DCF agents take her kid away?
How long before a lawyer offers to help the kid sue his parents?
He's too old for them to bother. He's also too old to say that being smacked by his mom will have a formative impact, though I'll bet easy money he was physically assaulted as a child as a form of "discipline" if she's still willing to attack him when he's grown and can retaliate.

Getting hit teaches you that violence is an appropriate response to unwanted stimulus and encourages better preparedness in hiding one's wrong-doing.
First Page 2 3 ... 522 523 524 ... 1375 1376 1377