Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 520 521 522 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-04-30 12:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

What's life without a little DRK humor?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 12:22:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Have we discussed Freddie Gray's rap sheet? Has anyone pointed out that if he had actually been in prison (as one with such a rap sheet should be) he'd probably be in better shape?
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-30 12:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Have we discussed Freddie Gray's rap sheet? Has anyone pointed out that if he had actually been in prison (as one with such a rap sheet should be) he'd probably be in better shape?

Yeah Nausi, Maybe he was just a jerk and had it coming...

We should just let the cops decide who lives and dies it's a lot more efficient than all those courts and stuff...

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 12:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Why was he out on the street? Why wasn't he in prison?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 12:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What offenses has he been convicted of in the past?

Were any of them capital crimes worthy of a death penalty?

Were any of them drug crimes or other offenses that really should qualify for rehabilitation, not prison time?

(I'm challenging here, but I honestly don't know. You could be right or not.)

Either way, was what he did that day and under the purview of those officers worthy of that level of rough treatment (assuming they actually did it and admitting there's a possibility they didn't)?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-30 12:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll just change that...

#BlackLivesMatter...unlessyouhavealongrapsheet
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 12:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
I'll just change that...

#BlackLivesMatter...unlessyouhavealongrapsheet

Prisoners released from prison following non-violent crimes are a huge redactivity risk because we throw them back out on the street with nothing and expect them to magically be able to live a law-abiding, normal life, despite the fact they were unable to do that even without a rap sheet.

Because "time served" and "debt to society paid" are foreign concepts to many. People assuming that ex-cons are a risk is a self-fulfilling prophecy, because when we treat them like they're still criminals despite their time served and debt paid, we corner them into a position where the most attractive option is to go back to doing what they did before because what the *** else is there?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 12:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Know who else had a rap sheet? Martin Luther King.

Also, thanks drug war.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 12:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I love the fascist undertones of the police have free rein if you have ever been incarcerated and that nothing short of lethal force should be applied if you're a criminal.

I can almost taste the fear coming off lips. I have my delusional bloodbath fantasies as much as the next guy but we have legal system for a reason. Or should we have just capped Martha Stewart for insider trading?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-30 12:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

if he had actually been in prison he'd probably be in better shape?

Oh Yeah! \(^O^)/ Prison is Awesome!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 12:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I love the fascist undertones of the police have free rein if you have ever been incarcerated and that nothing short of lethal force should be applied if you're a criminal.

I can almost taste the fear coming off lips. I have my delusional bloodbath fantasies as much as the next guy but we have legal system for a reason. Or should we have just capped Martha Stewart for insider trading?

No undertone is implied. I'm merely saying that if we kept repeated offenders in jail this situation wouldn't have ever happened.

March 20, 2015: Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance
March 13, 2015: Malicious destruction of property, second-degree assault
January 20, 2015: Fourth-degree burglary, trespassing
January 14, 2015: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute
December 31, 2014: Possession of narcotics with intent to distribute
December 14, 2014: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance
August 31, 2014: Illegal gambling, trespassing
January 25, 2014: Possession of marijuana
September 28, 2013: Distribution of narcotics, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, second-degree assault, second-degree escape
April 13, 2012: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, violation of probation
July 16, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession with intent to distribute
March 28, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
March 14, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to manufacture and distribute
February 11, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance
August 29, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, violation of probation
August 28, 2007: Possession of marijuana
August 23, 2007: False statement to a peace officer, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
July 16, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance (2 counts)

I bolded everything that I think should land one in jail for an extended amount of time.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 12:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

if he had actually been in prison he'd probably be in better shape?

Oh Yeah! \(^O^)/ Prison is Awesome!

Clearly they're severing spines everyday in prison.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 12:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you know that if you had never existed no crimes would have ever been committed against you?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 12:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Did you know that if you had never existed no crimes would have ever been committed against you?

Yep, that's what i'm saying...
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 12:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Every one of those offenses appears to be drugs or drug-related.

A quick internet search even reveals that second-degree assault in Maryland doesn't even require a physical assault, just an attempt or threat. It includes "intent to frighten with assault", attempted battery", and "battery". So there's a 66% chance he's never comitted a physically violent crime in his life to boot, and even if he has, it's on the "lighter" side of violent crime (meaning it's something you could get charged for just getting into a simple minor drunk scuffle at bar). And the way most police operate, there's a good chance that the hostility between him and the other person was mutual and they both got slapped with the charge.

Nothing there screams "jail time" to me. It says we need more drug and vocational rehabilitation dedicated to doing the job right.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-30 13:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

it helps if you hold your nose closed when you read it out loud

Yes, so if all the thuggish looking black people could just go live in prison and stop making white people feel uncomfortable that would be great....
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to be a big fan of the word "thug" to describe people in criminal/gang culture, be they white or black, since where I live there are many people of both colors that fit into that same idiotic culture. I've since stopped using the word because so many seem to now be using it in place of a more traditional black epithet...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 13:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
Nothing there screams "jail time" to me. It says we need more drug and vocational rehabilitation dedicated to doing the job right.
You mean after 17 arrests and convictions, you think he would have been rehabilitated if he went to a drug center?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-30 13:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I've since stopped using the word because so many seem to now be using it in place of a more traditional black epithet...
You can thank the music industry for that.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 13:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

it helps if you hold your nose closed when you read it out loud

Yes, so if all the thuggish looking black people could just go live in prison and stop making white people feel uncomfortable that would be great....
Why argue against what I said when you can just put words in my mouth?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 13:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much. You do it often enough too. You ignore what actually happens and blame it on whatever else you think you can. How far back would you like to go?

Maybe if his momma slapped him around like that lady they're reporting on recently he never would have gotten into drugs and never had a rap sheet.

Maybe if his daddy stuck around when he was a kid he could have been a more productive member of society!

You ignore the reality of the situation and look for some excuse in the past to justify or dismiss the present actions. It's ridiculous.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You mean after 17 arrests and convictions, you think he would have been rehabilitated if he went to a drug center?

I think he could have been rehabbed and put on a better path after the first offense, or at least after/during the first significant stint of jail time.

The current "rehab" programs in our prisons are laughable.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I've since stopped using the word because so many seem to now be using it in place of a more traditional black epithet...
You can thank the music industry for that.

No. I can thank them for the way I used it in the first place.

I can thank snooty white folks who can't say "the n-word" (*** I hate saying that but I don't know if mods will get pissy if I actually type it) who wanted a new perjorative for black people for the current definition.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 13:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much. You do it often enough too. You ignore what actually happens and blame it on whatever else you think you can. How far back would you like to go?

Maybe if his momma slapped him around like that lady they're reporting on recently he never would have gotten into drugs and never had a rap sheet.

Maybe if his daddy stuck around when he was a kid he could have been a more productive member of society!

You ignore the reality of the situation and look for some excuse in the past to justify or dismiss the present actions. It's ridiculous.

I don't know who you are arguing against, but it isn't me.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-30 13:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know who you are arguing against, but it isn't me.

Epic LOL.

Your favorite president laughs with us.

Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-30 13:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to be a big fan of the word "thug" to describe people in criminal/gang culture, be they white or black, since where I live there are many people of both colors that fit into that same idiotic culture. I've since stopped using the word because so many seem to now be using it in place of a more traditional black epithet...

This is how it works, don't you understand?

Radicals seek to redefine words so that you cannot speak them lest be labeled a racist. If it wasn't thug (which has no founding racial component) it would be the next thing, until you're so afraid to be labeled offensive that you don't say anything at all.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-30 13:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Last week, Davis said there were three stops: the first to put leg irons on Gray, the second "to deal with Mr. Gray" (an incident, he said, that remained under investigation) and the third to pick up a prisoner in an unrelated matter.

The new stop, which "was discovered from a privately owned camera," Davis said Thursday, came between the first and second stops.

The latest revelations came shortly after two new accounts of what happened to Gray emerged -- threads that could offer clues as to where and when the man whose death sparked protests in Baltimore was fatally injured.

The first comes from a relative of one of the officers involved in the arrest. She told CNN the officer thinks Gray was injured while he was being arrested -- before he was put inside a police van.
Source
Looks like the cops lied about how many stops they made and a relative of a police officer thinks the cops injured him!

Is this enough to change your mind again KN?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 13:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If the FED didn't exist none of these nonsensical attempts to control the free market would have occurred and Freddie would be probably be running a lucrative neck therapy business right now.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-30 13:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

This is how it works, don't you understand?

Radicals seek to redefine words so that you cannot speak them lest be labeled a racist. If it wasn't thug (which has no founding racial component) it would be the next thing, until you're so afraid to be labeled offensive that you don't say anything at all.

Familiar with dog-whistle politics, chap?
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-04-30 13:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

he was just a jerk and had it coming...

First Page 2 3 ... 520 521 522 ... 1375 1376 1377