Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 480 481 482 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 11:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
people who are willing to give the stamp of approval to abortions for the sake of genetic defects because "it's too hard".
Put yourself in their shoes, for the rest of your life and tell me how much you'd like to have to care for a child that requires constant 24hr supervision for the rest of the child's life.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 11:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
people who are willing to give the stamp of approval to abortions for the sake of genetic defects because "it's too hard".
Put yourself in their shoes, for the rest of your life and tell me how much you'd like to have to care for a child that requires constant 24hr supervision for the rest of the child's life.

I'm pro-choice. And I'm pro-the right to not adopt.

I just think that if you're unwilling to adopt, but willing to have a surrogate - domestic or otherwise - your priorities and thoughts on having children are *** up.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 11:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
An unwillingness to adopt coupled with the inability or unwillingness to give birth does not make someone unfit to be a parent.

Hey, remember how this is my opinion? There are lot of things that make people unfit to be parents, and a lot of those people still have kids.

Your qualifiers are just born out of your own twisted sense of morality.

As opposed to *** what? Your feelings based on your sense of morality?

But yours is fine and mine is twisted. Riiiggghhttt...
Many of those that have shown themselves to be unfit parents have the kids themselves to and have nothing to do with surrogates or adoption. What's your point? Hey guys you're unfit to be parents but there are also people that adopt or have kids on their own and some of them are unfit to be parents as well!

It has nothing to do with my feelings or my sense of morality. I'm not the one here judging anyone or calling them unfit to be parents based on some silly set of qulaifiers you seem to think are somehow relevant. The only thing I'm doing is calling you out on your *** opinion.
By volkom 2015-04-06 11:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Reminds me of a story I watched (I think on 60minutes) or something like that in which a boy(probably in mid 20s or so now i think) Had to live with a skin disorder in which it falls off with the slightest touch. The mother has to change the bandages constantly to keep from infection settling in. Its most difficult for him when he moves and has to change clothes as the pain from his skin falling off his body is excruciating. He said during the interview that he wished he wasn't born because no one should have to live like that
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 11:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Passing on genetic material is important to people, a lot of people, and has been throughout history.

It's how humans evolve.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2015-04-06 11:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Some parents shouldn't become parents.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-04-06 11:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Somehow this became very Western-centric. :/
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 11:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

Reminds me of a story I watched (I think on 60minutes) or something like that in which a boy(probably in mid 20s or so now i think) Had to live with a skin disorder in which it falls off with the slightest touch. The mother has to change the bandages constantly to keep from infection settling in. Its most difficult for him when he moves and has to change clothes as the pain from his skin falling off his body is excruciating. He said during the interview that he wished he wasn't born because no one should have to live like that
It really makes you think, what kind of life is that, for both the mother and child? Spending your whole life in constant aggravation and misery because...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 11:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine, whatever you say. But I think they're selfish people -- or, at least, extremely short-sighted people -- who are more concerned with their biological compulsion to have their own genetic legacy live on than they are with actually having, caring for, and loving a child.
Why not lend your own life to an adopted child and raise one yourself? Or are you too selfish and short sighted that you'd rather have your life to yourself not bothered by any child at all then doing something for them?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 11:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
You can't really blame the Indians too much as more than likely they need that money to live.

Easier to blame the people paying for the services.

Gotta blame someone, right?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-04-06 11:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't really blame the Indians too much as more than likely they need that money to live.

Easier to blame the people paying for the services.

Gotta blame someone, right?

Or both.

Basically, in the mini-doc, there were "agents" hired to solicit women in these slums, most of whom were illiterate and were not even given a copy of their contract. One of the agents interviewed claimed she was directly hired by the founder of the "most reputable" of the surrogacy clinics.

There were cases in which the host mothers were duped and not paid the agreed amount of their services.

Like you mentioned earlier, many of the women cited their financial desperation.

(Unfortunately, I couldn't find the complete video. The segment was called, 'Outsourcing Embryos'.)
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 11:28:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine, whatever you say. But I think they're selfish people -- or, at least, extremely short-sighted people -- who are more concerned with their biological compulsion to have their own genetic legacy live on than they are with actually having, caring for, and loving a child.
Why not lend your own life to an adopted child and raise one yourself? Or are you too selfish and short sighted that you'd rather have your life to yourself not bothered by any child at all then doing something for them?

Because, as I am now, I'd be a horrible parent to any child, and they don't deserve that?

It's cute you're trying to twist this and all, but it's not really relevant. This is entirely about people who want to have children and apparently do think they're good parental material.

But since you really want to put me on the spot, if my wife and I ever decide that we've changed our mind wish to have children, we will be adopting.
By volkom 2015-04-06 11:30:21
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

It really makes you think, what kind of life is that, for both the mother and child? Spending your whole life in constant aggravation and misery because...

Jonny Kennedy (bad memory~ sorry.)

Quote:
Jonny Kennedy (4 November 1966 – 26 September 2003) was the subject of the documentary The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off, which documented the final months of his life as he suffered from the rare inherited condition known as dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa (EB or DEB). He was born with no skin on his left leg. Kennedy ultimately died of skin cancer caused by EB.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Edit: Skip to 6:00 for aborting part
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-06 11:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's part of the problem in a country with such a bloated population and such prevalent poverty. Given the desperation and lack of education, people can be made to do....anything.

Couple that with the type A mindset of ends justifying the means and capitalist 'maximize efficiency!!!' and the idea of farming out pregnancy can be easily rationalized. Why not dump all the problematic elements of childbirth on a surrogate and reap all of the rewards?

Toss in fanciful spin about giving unproductive Indian women a purpose for existing and voila, you have a booming industry. Indian government is a notorious clusterfuck.

Maybe I'm just being pesky but I thought the whole idea of pregnancy was that it wasn't easy, that you're bonding with child during all those formative months and it's an invitation for the father to be nurturing, protective and supportive.

But eh, I'm obviously too young and naive. Better ask my Russian mail-order bride how she feels about farming out the baby to a Filipino.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 11:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pro-choice. And I'm pro-the right to not adopt.

I just think that if you're unwilling to adopt, but willing to have a surrogate - domestic or otherwise - your priorities and thoughts on having children are *** up.
Are you actually pro-choice or are you one of those conditional abortionists? It seemed like you took issue with people that might abort their child if genetic abnormalities were found.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 11:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you actually pro-choice or are you one of those conditional abortionists? It seemed like you took issue with people that might abort their child if genetic abnormalities were found.

I'm actually pro-choice, and I'm sure you view that as a contradiction and I can see why.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 11:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Because, as I am now, I'd be a horrible parent to any child, and they don't deserve that?

It's cute you're trying to twist this and all, but it's not really relevant. This is entirely about people who want to have children and apparently do think they're good parental material.

But since you really want to put me on the spot, if my wife and I ever decide that we've changed our mind wish to have children, we will be adopting.
It's not trying to twist it. It was trying to show how silly your viewpoint really is.

If you don't do things the way I see it as correct then you're clearly not fit to be a parent. Do you not see how silly that is?

Just because someone is willing to adopt instead of hiring a surrogate doesn't make them any more fit to be a parent then someone using a surrogate. I thnk you made that point yourself. You'd be willing to adopt first if you ever chose to and everything you've ever said about yourself leads us all to believe you'd make a terrible parent.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 11:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually pro-choice, and I'm sure you view that as a contradiction and I can see why.
It is a contradiction if you have a problem with parents that would abort a child due to genetic abnormalities.

If it makes you feel any better I also see people who consider themselves pro-life and willing to allow abortion in cases of rape, incest or whatever other conditional they attach to it as being a contradiction to their proposed stance.
By fonewear 2015-04-06 11:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the P and R I love constant bickering with no end in sight !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-06 11:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea of a surrogate isn't the problem.

It's inadvertently exploiting vulnerable, desperate women to be your breeding machine that's the problem. Women who will be treated about as well as cows on a farm for the sake of efficiency.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-06 11:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Where can I find these desperate women for breeding ?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 11:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't do things the way I see it as correct then you're clearly not fit to be a parent. Do you not see how silly that is?

I don't think it's silly at all. I think it's silly that you're advocating going literally across the world to stick your genetic material in an impoverished Indian woman (and not even in a fun way!) so that she can maybe carry to term for you a potentially healthy baby that's "yours"...instead of adopting a child that already exists, is already healthy, and needs a loving family.

Several people have said, "oh, it takes a special kind of person to adopt, it's not for everyone".

I think that's the case with being a parent at all, but sadly our base instincts tell us to pop out as many god damn offspring as we can, and people have been religiously and culturally conditioned to do just that.

So go on and think I'm silly, or wrong, or whatever. You're allowed to have that opinion, and I certainly can't stop anyone from doing whatever tell hell they want when it comes to procreation and raising children.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-06 11:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Where can I find these desperate women for breeding ?

*hands fone a third-world brochure*

We've got white, black, asian and hispanic. All could be yours if the the price is right.

Warning: Not responsible for being kidnapped by Boko Haram, FARC, three large slavic men or North Koreans. All sales final. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-06 11:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Again with the batteries when will it ever end !
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-06 11:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

It's inadvertently exploiting vulnerable, desperate women to be your breeding machine that's the problem. Women who will be treated about as well as cows on a farm for the sake of efficiency.

They're both problems to me.

Surrogacy is the very height of human arrogance.

"Well, my wife and I can't have children directly, and even though there are plenty of children who need us, I'm going to go out of my way to stick our genetic material into a third party so that my genetic material is what grows up happy and healthy."

...and then they turn around and "get the most for their money" by sticking their white bread test tube baby into a woman (or, hell, probably a girl) who doesn't know any better and views it as her best choice in life?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-06 11:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a feeling there is going to be a West Side Story musical about to break out: Abortion ! Rape ! When you're a jet you go to get an abortion !

Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-04-06 11:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it's silly at all. I think it's silly that you're advocating going literally across the world to stick your genetic material in an impoverished Indian woman (and not even in a fun way!) so that she can maybe carry to term for you a potentially healthy baby that's "yours"...instead of adopting a child that already exists, is already healthy, and needs a loving family.

Several people have said, "oh, it takes a special kind of person to adopt, it's not for everyone".

I think that's the case with being a parent at all, but sadly our base instincts tell us to pop out as many god damn offspring as we can, and people have been religiously and culturally conditioned to do just that.

So go on and think I'm silly, or wrong, or whatever. You're allowed to have that opinion, and I certainly can't stop anyone from doing whatever tell hell they want when it comes to procreation and raising children.
You do realize that you don't need to leave the states to do this do you not? Have I ever advocated the use or explotation of impoverished women for surrogacy? No, I have not.

Our little argument has been about you claiming that if a person is unable or unwilling to have a child by natural birth themselves and then choose surrogacy over adoption that this somehow makes them less fit to be parents. How you can not think your viewpoint is silly when we have plenty of evidence showing that anyone having a child whether by natural birth, surrogacy or adoption can be good or shitty parents blows my mind. That's why I refer to it as a twisted sense of morality because regardless of the evidence in front of your face you would still retain such a faulty viewpoint.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-06 11:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Women who will be treated about as well as cows on a farm for the sake of efficiency.

I never implied they would be treated that well...

(also cows are worshiped in india and go wherever they damn well please....women.. not so much)
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-06 11:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So the lesson here is if you're a woman in India, dress up like a cow if you want more freedom.
[+]
By volkom 2015-04-06 11:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

They're both problems to me.

Surrogacy is the very height of human arrogance.

"Well, my wife and I can't have children directly, and even though there are plenty of children who need us, I'm going to go out of my way to stick our genetic material into a third party so that my genetic material is what grows up happy and healthy."

...and then they turn around and "get the most for their money" by sticking their white bread test tube baby into a woman (or, hell, probably a girl) who doesn't know any better and views it as her best choice in life?

First Page 2 3 ... 480 481 482 ... 1375 1376 1377