Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 362 363 364 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-06 12:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
He uses it to try to impress them others, often at the expense of someone else!
And that's what this kid wanted to do. Mind you, I didn't disagree with you guys saying the parents should know better than going along with weird ideas, what I disagree with is the school staff reaction.
By fonewear 2015-03-06 12:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Do you [anyone] think it's perfectly fine for an 11 year old to dress up as Clayton Bigsby?

White power !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-03-06 12:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Newer generations 'grow up' much faster than we did. Liberalization and overexposition to sex cause them to evolve much more quickly.
unless you got older all of a sudden you're in the same generation...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-06 12:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

We actually had a girl in our HS class try the KKK thing during our 'blast from the past' costume day alongside a Kunta Kente knockoff.

You've never seen teachers move with swiftness to snatch up kids until you saw that day. It's not going down. It's not funny. And worse, you're not clever.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-03-06 12:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I'd be like 'nope.' with reflex.
That's something you do without thinking.
It's a bad idea, it's not even clever, not appropriate and is surely going to elicit some backlash / my time wasted.
Why is it a bad idea? So what if it isn't clever? What backlash is it going to elicit, and why is that even appropriate?

11 year olds are 11. They spout stupid ideas that you're supposed to filter.
Of course. Ones that cause danger to themselves or others, or are destructive(in a bad way).
But what are you teaching by saying no to this?
By Bloodrose 2015-03-06 12:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So dressing up as a mildly violent, psychological abusive person to women (for things real or perceived) isn't destructive?

That teaching them not to dress up, portray, and emulate such people is not conducive to appropriate age level material or understanding?

I mean, the list goes on. And there are a lot of questionable costume choices out there, and for various reasons, but none so glaringly obvious as this.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-06 12:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Like Dexter?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-06 12:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
It's not ok to imitate men who abuse women for sexual gratification, regardless of whether or not she wanted it.

Whether or not you want your children to learn that is up to you.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 12:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Would you let a child go as...crap. I can't think of another fictional piece of ***abuser off the top of my head.

But the character is abusive, engages in stalker behavior, and generally is a terrible person.

It might not be as blatantly obvious as a KKK costume, but it's every bit as inappropriate to allow a child to portray.
By Bloodrose 2015-03-06 12:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Dexter is an obviously bad choice for a teacher to wear to a classroom where children attend.

Unless they dress up as this Dexter:

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 12:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Like Dexter?

Just as a point of order, I did say it was inappropriate for a teacher of 11-year-olds to dress up as Dexter.

I agree with the parents: portraying excessive violence to children is as problematic or more so than sexual themes. However, 50 Shades specifically contains violent, sexual, and abusive themes.

Neither is okay.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-06 12:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

That's something you do without thinking.

Yes, because it's an immediate bad idea. Like dressing your kid up as Hannibal Lecter.

Quote:
Why is it a bad idea? So what if it isn't clever? What backlash is it going to elicit, and why is that even appropriate?

1. Your kid is 11. It's inappropriate for the event. Think of the other children around your kid. Exercise common sense.
2. There will be backlash from the teachers who don't feel it's appropriate. Other kids ask questions. You'll have to take time off to explain through this ***.
3. The whole crux of doing this to a kid rests on being edgy/clever which it is not. It's an overly popular book and using your kid as controversy bait feels exploitative.

Quote:
Of course. Ones that cause danger to themselves or others, or are destructive(in a bad way).

You're teaching your kid some ideas are age inappropriate. And that not every idea that comes off the top of his head is good. You can explain in detail on parenting time if you so chose.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-06 13:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Masturbating babies I'm done ! lmao

I agree with your overall sentiment though.
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 13:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Our entire cultures idea of sex and children is flawed. I blame it on western-christian ideoligies tied to innoscense is freedom from both sin and sexual thoughts and behavior. It is a flawed concept scientifically proven false. I am not advocating for children having sex, god no. But I am saying that our thoughts that children until puberty have no thoughts of sex and have nothing to do with sex is wrong.

It leads to perpetual shame of sex which is bad, you're raising kids that are ashamed of an aspect of their human nature. Great for filling the church coffers but not great for their emotional well being. We should be educating children about sex from a young age. It shouldn't be something in the dark. They should be raised to have a healthy outlook on sex, and sexual activity. Not oh well you'll figure it all out after we kept it and all information on it away from you until this magical age and then we'll have "the talk" which isn't informative at all and makes most parents break out in a sweat and that's it you're on your own buddy! We wonder why we have so much teen pregnancy, let alone a lot of people's self image tied to their sexual desires they deem as bad.

Scientific fact, masturbation happens as early as the womb. Babies get ***. And kids have sexual thoughts they just don't understand what the *** they mean. It's almost cruel how we leave them in the dark on important issues about their own body and what they go through. At best, they leave it up to some school teacher who has to dance politics to even teach the class and says the minimum necessary so as not to freak out parents. Teaching your kids about sex in a way that won't make them shameful of themselves or their own body so that they can have healthy sexual relationships and not end up pregnant or getting someone pregnant is a life long thing through their entire raising process not something you slam on them at the first sign of a voice cracking.

I don't disagree with you on any of this.

The inappropriate nature of the character/costume isn't simply "it's related to sex, we must ban this!"

I think sexual taboos need to go away. We need to be less ashamed of ourselves as sexual creatures in society. We need to teach kids about this stuff earlier. Education is key.

The inappropriateness comes from the character itself. The character is abusive, both physically and mentally. The character is obsessive. The character engages in stalking behavior. The books are noted to have triggered PTSD-like symptoms in women who have been in abusive relationships who thought they were going to engage in some sexy-time reading.

For what it's worth, as big of a fan of A Clockwork Orange as I am, I've seen people dress their kids up in the droog costumes from that movie, and I think that's terribly inappropriate too. And that's a story I very much like.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-06 13:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Our entire cultures idea of sex and children is flawed. I blame it on western-christian ideoligies tied to innoscense is freedom from both sin and sexual thoughts and behavior. It is a flawed concept scientifically proven false. I am not advocating for children having sex, god no. But I am saying that our thoughts that children until puberty have no thoughts of sex and have nothing to do with sex is wrong.

It leads to perpetual shame of sex which is bad, you're raising kids that are ashamed of an aspect of their human nature. Great for filling the church coffers but not great for their emotional well being. We should be educating children about sex from a young age. It shouldn't be something in the dark. They should be raised to have a healthy outlook on sex, and sexual activity. Not oh well you'll figure it all out after we kept it and all information on it away from you until this magical age and then we'll have "the talk" which isn't informative at all and makes most parents break out in a sweat and that's it you're on your own buddy! We wonder why we have so much teen pregnancy, let alone a lot of people's self image tied to their sexual desires they deem as bad.

Scientific fact, masturbation happens as early as the womb. Babies get ***. And kids have sexual thoughts they just don't understand what the *** they mean. It's almost cruel how we leave them in the dark on important issues about their own body and what they go through. At best, they leave it up to some school teacher who has to dance politics to even teach the class and says the minimum necessary so as not to freak out parents. Teaching your kids about sex in a way that won't make them shameful of themselves or their own body so that they can have healthy sexual relationships and not end up pregnant or getting someone pregnant is a life long thing through their entire raising process not something you slam on them at the first sign of a voice cracking.

Just read the bold parts lmao
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 13:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Edit: meant in the kindest way possible.
By Bloodrose 2015-03-06 13:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Everything + the internet.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-06 13:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I ate a lot of lead chips as a kid !

I'm the product of a perverse and sick society !

I do agree with what was said I just think using the extreme of babies with *** distracted me.

I mean everything was well thought out and all but maybe using a different term. Like accidental erections. Or something to that effect.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-06 13:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 13:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Feminish has nothing to do with it...
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-06 13:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What does any of this have to do with the situation at hand?

A parent thought it was a good idea to send her kid as a questionable character for the lulz. Turns out this questionable character isn't kid appropriate and got shut down. Who'd a thunk?

Time and place. Time. And. Place. This isn't the time to get all meta and it darn sure isn't what the parent was going for.

I'm not seeing where Christian Grey becomes this champion of sex education unless stalking, harassing and being a general caricature of a rich dude turns out to be paragon of sex ed.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-06 13:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Go on...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 13:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Go on...

Any feminist worth her salt is going to hate these books.

The female lead of Twilight is basically a vapid, souless, empty shell of a character who is meant for the angsty teenage girl reading the book to put herself in the place of so they can personally fawn over - and be fawned over by - the sparkly vampire boy; and as oft stated, 50 Shades has nothing to do with sexual liberation, it's about abuse.

Soooo, ipso facto, feminists should hate this stuff.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-03-06 13:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I don't understand how not wanting a child to dress up as christian gray and be sent to school as teaching them to be ashamed of their own human nature.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-03-06 13:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

We actually had a girl in our HS class try the KKK thing during our 'blast from the past' costume day alongside a Kunta Kente knockoff.

You've never seen teachers move with swiftness to snatch up kids until you saw that day. It's not going down. It's not funny. And worse, you're not clever.

Eh, it's kinda funny. I mean many jokes are based on "insensitivity". Perhaps you should try surrendering your "offended" card and expand your sense of humor.
By Bloodrose 2015-03-06 14:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Go on...

The female lead of Twilight is basically a vapid, souless, empty shell of a character who is meant for the angsty teenage girl reading the book to put herself in the place of so they can personally fawn over - and be fawned over by - the sparkly vampire boy; and as oft stated, 50 Shades has nothing to do with sexual liberation, it's about abuse.

And yet, there are feminist groups out there that aided in pushing the book to popularity because a *female author* wrote it, and decided to publish it. They cared not for the content of the book.
By Ramyrez 2015-03-06 14:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Go on...

And yet, there are feminist groups out there that aided in pushing the book to popularity because a *female author* wrote it, and decided to publish it. They cared not for the content of the book.

That's quite unfortunate, and really foolish for anyone who considers themselves an advocate of equality. Because both book series are utter trash that give young girls entirely the wrong lessons.
First Page 2 3 ... 362 363 364 ... 1375 1376 1377