Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1081 1082 1083 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 09:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Balder died for your sins!

[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-11-18 09:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Christian groups break with GOP over Syrian refugees
Politico

Quote:
Faith-based groups, who play a key role in resettling refugees to the United States, say they are dismayed by the wave of anti-refugee fervor set off by the Paris terrorist attacks and are urging supporters to contact elected officials on behalf of victims of the Syrian civil war.

Evangelical Christians, as well as Christians more broadly, are a core group in the Republican electoral base and are among the most passionate advocates for aiding refugees.

A push by Republican presidential candidates to ban Syrian refugees "does not reflect what we've been hearing from our constituencies, which are evangelical churches across the country," said Jenny Yang, vice president for advocacy at World Relief, an evangelical organization that helps resettle refugees. "Most of the people have been saying we want to continue to work with refugees, that what happened in Paris ... doesn’t reflect who refugees are." ...
Too long for a full copypasta.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 09:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Hence the difference between people with true Christian beliefs and the people who merely utilize Christianity as a tool of social control.

Which is somewhat meta, given its origins as a tool of social control.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-18 09:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
So these days are playing the national soccer teams and after what happened in Paris it was decided that all matches would be preceded by a minute of silence for the victims(it's typical in these situations).

In Turkey for Turkey vs Greece a large number of turkish supporters started booing and praising Allah instead.
I don't even..
Someone tell me again how it's the religion of peace...

The audio is chilling if you haven't heard it.
What they did is reprehensible.

But what about all the Muslim people I know who changed their Facebook profile picture to show solidarity for France?

Your answer is probably: what happened in Turkey represents the true followers of Islam, while those FB supporters are liberal Muslims.

Your problem is that you view the world in an "us good, them bad" mentality, and try to explain everything that happens around you accordingly. You should instead try to better understand why certain people behave in a certain way under certain circumstances.

Turkey has suffered a similar (in death count) bombing last month during a peaceful protest.

Turkey also has been intervening in Syria against IS. Turkey isn't really some orthodox Muslim country. A good chunk of its population are not that religious (compared to Middle Easertn countries).

We would all agree on condemning the chants but only you would readily jump in with his explanations that are influenced by his preconceived notions about..everything.

Quite simply put, you are failing to recognize the nature of Islam. Depending on where you ask, a shocking number of Muslims support the use of terrorism and find it to be a justified use of force. There are over a billion muslims in the world, Even if support is ballparked at 10% That's over 100 million people. The threat is real, open your eyes. It's called ISIS, the first two letters stand for Islamic State.

Islam is obviously not only full of people who support terrorism, but to not recognize it's unique relationship with violence and terrorism is quite simply irrational, the evidence is all around you. At best we could say there is a struggle within Islam to define it's very nature if that makes you feel better. However you would have to point out that the violent side is clearly gaining ground in it's caliphate. Until such time as the religion is not in this conflict it is not irrational or "jumping to conclusions" to be skeptical of it's intentions.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-18 09:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
They were turkish, not syrians.

You do know they share a very large border right, as in they're right next to each other?
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-11-18 09:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

What idiot is ballparking that 10% of Muslims are supportive of terrorism? Most people just want to live their lives peacefully without anybody *** up their community.

No religion is inherently violent, the violence is a result of individuals who are bringing their violent mindsets and behavior to the stage.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 09:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
No religion is inherently violent, the violence is a result of individuals who are bringing their violent mindsets and behavior to the stage.

Well, most religions are actually inherently violent if you take the source material literally, but everyone except extremists and crazy people generally acknowledge 1500 to 2000+-year-old source material is to be taken as allegory, or at least with a grain of salt.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-18 09:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

What idiot is ballparking that 10% of Muslims are supportive of terrorism? Most people just want to live their lives peacefully without anybody *** up their community.

Quote:
In a 2007 Pew Research poll in response to a question on whether suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets to defend Islam could be justified, in Europe:

64% of Muslims in France believed it could never be justified, 19% believed it could be justified rarely, 10% sometimes, and 6% thought it could be justified often.
70% of Muslims in Britain believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 12% sometimes, and 3% thought it could be justified often.
83% of Muslims in Germany believed it could never be justified, 6% believed it could be justified rarely, 6% sometimes, and 1% thought it could be justified often.
69% of Muslims in Spain believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 10% sometimes, and 6% thought it could be justified often.

In mainly Muslim countries:

45% of Muslims in Egypt believed it could never be justified, 25% believed it could be justified rarely, 20% sometimes, and 8% thought it could be justified often.
61% of Muslims in Turkey believed it could never be justified, 9% believed it could be justified rarely, 14% sometimes, and 3% thought it could be justified often.
43% of Muslims in Jordan believed it could never be justified, 28% believed it could be justified rarely, 24% sometimes, and 5% thought it could be justified often.
28% of Muslims in Nigeria believed it could never be justified, 23% believed it could be justified rarely, 38% sometimes, and 8% thought it could be justified often.
69% of Muslims in Pakistan believed it could never be justified, 8% believed it could be justified rarely, 7% sometimes, and 7% thought it could be justified often.
71% of Muslims in Indonesia believed it could never be justified, 18% believed it could be justified rarely, 8% sometimes, and 2% thought it could be justified often.

You simply are ignorant of the beliefs of muslims.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 09:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone conducted a poll about how many Americans or Christians consider the U.S.' use of dropping two atomic bombs on civilian cities in the sovereign nation of Japan as justified?

I'm not saying there aren't violent Muslims.

I'm just saying that maybe questions and figures need context.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-18 09:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Has anyone conducted a poll about how many Americans or Christians consider the U.S.' use of dropping two atomic bombs on civilian cities in the sovereign nation of Japan as justified?

I'm not saying there aren't violent Muslims.

I'm just saying that maybe questions and figures need context.
...and ramy leads the kneejerk crowd out the gate.

As if such action could ever be called "terrorism".
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-11-18 09:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a fallacy, though enough people repeat it that I understand why it keeps getting repeated without being fact checked. Hitler was basically an agnostic/atheist and considered religion a necessary evil in controlling people.

So hey, what do you know. Even some of history's most evil individuals get it right from time to time.

That said, I wish people would stop citing him as an evil Christian. We've got plenty to pick from, going Godwin is inappropriate.

lol no it isn't, he is a known Catholic, devout at that.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 09:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you *** serious?

From the guy who wants to close the borders to literally every type of immigrant and refugee that doesn't meet an extremely narrow set of criteria favorable to you personally? (South and Central Americans? Out. Muslims (and probably non-Muslim refugees from the region))? Out. Etc.

But I'm leading the kneejerk reactions because I posed a question regarding context.

Get the *** out with that fear mongering.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 09:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
lol no it isn't, he is a known Catholic, devout at that.

At best it's up for debate.

Quote:
Hitler's public relationship to religion has been characterized as one of opportunistic pragmatism.[10] His regime did not publicly advocate for state atheism, but it did seek to reduce the influence of Christianity on society. Hitler himself was reluctant to make public attacks on the Church for political reasons, despite the urgings of Nazis like Bormann. Although he was skeptical of religion,[11][12] he did not present himself to the public as an atheist, and spoke of belief in an "almighty creator".[13][14] In private, he could be ambiguous.[15][16] Evans wrote that Hitler repeatedly stated that Nazism was a secular ideology founded on science, which in the long run could not "co-exist with religion".[17] In his semi-autobiographical Mein Kampf (1925/6) Hitler declared himself neutral in sectarian matters and supportive of separation between church and state, and he criticized political Catholicism.[18] The book presents a nihilistic, Social Darwinist vision, in which the universe is ordered around principles of struggle between weak and strong, rather than on conventional Christian notions.[19] In Mein Kampf, Hitler makes a number of religious allusions, claiming to be "acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator" and to have been chosen by providence.[14][20] In a 1922 speech he said,"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter [...] who [...] recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them..."[21] In a 1928 speech, he said: "We tolerate no one in our ranks who attacks the ideas of Christianity ... in fact our movement is Christian."[22] Given his hostility to Christianity, Laurence Rees wrote that "The most persuasive explanation of these statements is that Hitler, as a politician, simply recognised the practical reality of the world he inhabited... Had Hitler distanced himself or his movement too much from Christianity, it is all but impossible to see how he could ever have been successful in a free election".[23] Alan Bullock wrote that even though Hitler frequently employed the language of "divine providence" in defence of his own myth, he ultimately shared with the Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin a materialistic outlook "based on the nineteenth century rationalists' certainty that the progress of science would destroy all myths and had already proved Christian doctrine to be an absurdity".[24] According to Geoffrey Blainey, when the Nazis became the main opponent of Communism in Germany, Hitler saw Christianity as a temporary ally.[25] He made various public comments against "bolshevistic" atheist movements, and in favor of so-called "positive Christianity" (a movement which sought to nazify Christianity by purging it of its Jewish elements, the Old Testament and key doctrines like the Apostles' Creed).[18] While campaigning for office in the early 1930s, Hitler offered moderate public statements on Christianity, promising not to interfere with the churches if given power, and calling Christianity the foundation of German morality. Kershaw considers that use of such rhetoric served to placate potential criticism from the Church. According to Max Domarus, Hitler had fully discarded belief in the Judeo-Christian conception of God by 1937, but continued to use the word "God" in speeches.

Like I said. There are far clearer, better examples of devout evil Christians without Godwinnin'* it.

*"Godwinning" -- hah!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-18 09:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you *** serious?

From the guy who wants to close the borders to literally every type of immigrant and refugee that doesn't meet an extremely narrow set of criteria favorable to you personally? (South and Central Americans? Out. Muslims (and probably non-Muslim refugees from the region))? Out. Etc.

But I'm leading the kneejerk reactions because I posed a question regarding context.

Get the *** out, fear monger.
Such a typical response. I'm the bad guy and "fear monger" because I recognize a religion other than Christianity as a having a problem with violence.

Good call.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-11-18 09:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramy: If that's what you want to believe, more power to you.

Let's get back to the sillyness of this other "debate" though.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-11-18 10:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, most religions are actually inherently violent if you take the source material literally, but everyone except extremists and crazy people generally acknowledge 1500 to 2000+-year-old source material is to be taken as allegory, or at least with a grain of salt.
Maybe "inherently" wasn't the best word choice, but the point is more that the connection between a perseon's violence and religion is dependent on what kind of person they are, and their interpretation of their religious texts, etc.

I definitely wouldn't presume that a Pew Research poll would represent the opinions of 100 million people.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 10:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I...what?

This is an issue of major scholarly debate about one of the best-known figures in public history. It seems sort of silly to ignore something that even scholars on the topic are divided about. -.-;

Edit: Ugh. Arguing minutia about Hitler on the internet. Why is this my time waster of choice? What have I doooooone?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-11-18 10:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

violent crazies don't need Islam to be violent & crazy. they'd do it in a vacuum of religious indoctrination were there one in the place of Islamic teachings. they cling to whatever stories they can mold into their uses. denouncing an entire religion as 'violent' makes you ignorant at best, and a hate-monger at worst.

we are all far more alike than different.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-18 10:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

the first two letters stand for Islamic State.
Oh wow you proved everything Sherlock!
It's self proclaimed such by what was simply called Al Qaida in Iraq. They're numbers are around 80k, which is surely a very high number but nowhere near representative of all muslims in the world.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-11-18 10:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I...what?

This is an issue of major scholarly debate about one of the best-known figures in public history. It seems sort of silly to ignore something that even scholars on the topic are divided about. -.-;

Edit: Ugh. Arguing minutia about Hitler on the internet. Why is this my time waster of choice? What have I doooooone?
Waffles.
By Bloodrose 2015-11-18 10:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Belgium Waffles.

There would be peace in the world if everyone liked waffles.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-18 10:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It is so strange how people only rush to the defense of one religion here, Islam.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-18 10:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
It is so strange how people only rush to the defense of one religion here, Islam.
Completely false. You should read what people say more often maybe you'll get a better idea of their values and ideas instead of imagining them.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-11-18 10:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Not true, it was mentioned several times how cool the Norse gods are.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-18 10:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
violent crazies don't need Islam to be violent & crazy. they'd do it in a vacuum of religious indoctrination were there one in the place of Islamic teachings. they cling to whatever stories they can mold into their uses. denouncing an entire religion as 'violent' makes you ignorant at best, and a hate-monger at worst.

we are all far more alike than different.

If this is directed at me, it is a total strawman.

I've never argued Islam is entirely violent or only violent, just that has a unique relationship with violence. Your point if I understand it is the religion is irrelevant. I suppose theoretically one could argue that "crazies have done similar things in judaism and christianity and others". Sure you can argue that but that isn't what's happening now and what's happening now is entirely relevant.

If it makes everyone feel better I guess I could say something like "there's a bunch of *** trying to hijack the religion of Islam", but that doesn't make the current state any less of a problem unique to Islam. That just rubs some PC *** everyone has, and well screw that BS.

Islam has a violence problem.
By Bloodrose 2015-11-18 10:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if he ignored all the Christianity defenders in this thread who rushed to the aid of Kim Davis for her choice to "uphold the will of God" and "Strong Christian Values"...

but wait, defending Christianity is only *natural* so it really isn't a defense at all. Defending any other religion because of fringe, extremist elements is suddenly being liberal, progressive, apologist scum bags who, in said numbskull's opinion, CHEER for the death and destruction of infidels and the unworthy...

Something the very same fringe extremist elements (Such as the Westboro Baptist Church has done, and is doing in, as "representatives" of their view of Christianity)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-18 10:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If we don't take in all these syrian muslims (who shout god is great during a moment of silence for France at a Turkish stadium), we're just "“fearful of widows” and “worried about three-year-old orphans.”

My other personal favorite is the same guy who's on tv minutes after a mass shooting telling us we have to 'get rid of the guns' is telling people that if we stop taking in refugees just because of the terrorist attacks that that is based on "hysteria or an exaggeration of risks".
So, as you understand it, the Syrian refugees attended a Turkey vs. Greece game? Do I even need to point out the absurdity of comparing the risk of terrorism from refugees to the risk of gun violence?

How can you guarantee that within these refugees, there will be no terrorist, or people sympathetic to terrorism?

Can you at least recognize that importing terrorists and/or people sympathetic to terrorism is a bad idea?
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 10:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Belgium Waffles.

There would be peace in the world if everyone liked waffles.

Oddly, the Belgian I'm friends with, and I quote, "hates friggin' waffles."
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1081 1082 1083 ... 1375 1376 1377