Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1080 1081 1082 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-18 05:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So these days are playing the national soccer teams and after what happened in Paris it was decided that all matches would be preceded by a minute of silence for the victims(it's typical in these situations).

In Turkey for Turkey vs Greece a large number of turkish supporters started booing and praising Allah instead.
I don't even..
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-11-18 06:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
So these days are playing the national soccer teams and after what happened in Paris it was decided that all matches would be preceded by a minute of silence for the victims(it's typical in these situations).

In Turkey for Turkey vs Greece a large number of turkish supporters started booing and praising Allah instead.
I don't even..
That's the least problematic thing Turkey has done.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-18 06:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Still a shitty demonstration nonetheless.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 07:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

And how I feel about all of this garbage right now.

You want to know why we need music in education? Because it remains the most perfect way to express these things. And maybe expressing things through art and not violence is a good *** place to start.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 07:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
For example, Adolph Hitler was a Christian, and look at what he did both directly and indirectly.

FFXIAH is on its *** ear this week as I keep having to defend religion.

First off:

Quote:
Muslims aren't the brightest bunch in the lot of the world

Neither are Americans, as a whole. Yet we still have some of the brightest thinkers in the world. So quit with the broad overgenerali-***-zations.

Adolph Hitler was a Christian, and look at what he did both directly and indirectly.

This is a fallacy, though enough people repeat it that I understand why it keeps getting repeated without being fact checked. Hitler was basically an agnostic/atheist and considered religion a necessary evil in controlling people.

So hey, what do you know. Even some of history's most evil individuals get it right from time to time.

That said, I wish people would stop citing him as an evil Christian. We've got plenty to pick from, going Godwin is inappropriate.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-18 07:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't believe I have to explain this, but I wasn't insinuating anything about muslims as a whole.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 07:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of idiots though, I'm kinda more upset with white supremacists than usual -- not just in the U.S., but worldwide -- because apparently they've started to leave Christianity and embrace...wait for iiiiitt....

Norse "paganism".

Because it's a "more pure, white man's religion."

Norse myths are badass. But even harder to swallow as factual than Christianity.

FFS. Idiots. Leave the cool fiction cool as fiction and make your own jacked up religion. Maybe worship a giant white phallic sculpture or something.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 08:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Better put there by far. +.
By Yatenkou 2015-11-18 08:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't believe I have to explain this, but I wasn't insinuating anything about muslims as a whole.
Neither was I, nor was I claiming Christianity itself is an evil religion. I just meant no matter what someone's religion is, doesn't mean jack schit about whether or not that one individual person is evil or good. For another example, Malcolm X and Osama Bin Laden. Both were Muslims, but Bin Laden was famous for one of the most horrific acts of terrorism in history, while Malcolm X was famous for pushing for increased civil rights. While one used his power and position for ill, the other used his to try and make the world a bit better for those like himself.

Malcolm X was also known to try and gain civil rights through force, not through peace. He influenced the group known as the black panthers, which was a dangerous group of people. Malcolm X was not a peaceful person, and it's evident by his philosophy in that violence is a necessity in order to achieve this.

In short, Malcolm X was a black supremacist and promoted hatred and violence, I don't see why he is viewed positively to some people.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 08:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yatenkou said: »
Neither was I, nor was I claiming Christianity itself is an evil religion. I just meant no matter what someone's religion is, doesn't mean jack schit about whether or not that one individual person is evil or good. For another example, Malcolm X and Osama Bin Laden. Both were Muslims, but Bin Laden was famous for one of the most horrific acts of terrorism in history, while Malcolm X was famous for pushing for increased civil rights. While one used his power and position for ill, the other used his to try and make the world a bit better for those like himself.

Malcolm X was also known to try and gain civil rights through force, not through peace. He influenced the group known as the black panthers, which was a dangerous group of people. Malcolm X was not a peaceful person, and it's evident by his philosophy in that violence is a necessity in order to achieve this.

In short, Malcolm X was a black supremacist and promoted hatred and violence, I don't see why he is viewed positively to some people.

Because you're focusing on his earlier life.

He's a prime example for an angry young man who embraced something in the wrong way, paid for his errors, and later grew into a much more rounded, better person.

He's someone who showed it's possible to grow and change, able to acknowledge their past wrongs and move forward on the right foot.

He was not a perfect man when he died. Just a man.

But he was an iconic figure who represents something bigger; the ability to grow and change for the better. Something we all could use. Regardless of our current status, we can all strive to be better.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2015-11-18 08:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Because you're focusing on his early life.

He's a prime example for an angry young man who embraced something in the wrong way, paid for his errors, and later grew into a much more rounded, better person.

He's someone who showed it's possible to grow and change, able to acknowledge their past wrongs and move forward on the right foot.

There was no later life for this man, after he had become disillusioned in 1964, he was shot and killed in 1965. There was no becoming a better man, he was *** murdered.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 08:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

There was no later life for this man, after he had become disillusioned in 1964, he was shot and killed in 1965. There was no becoming a better man, he was *** murdered.

See my edit/addition.

I'm sorry if you can't understand the hope his change in course represents, no matter how short-lived he was following it.
By Yatenkou 2015-11-18 08:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

See my edit/addition.

I'm sorry you can't understand the hope his change in course represents, no matter how short-lived he was following it.
I did not see your edit, I'm sorry.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 08:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I did not see your edit, I'm sorry.

I understand your expressed sentiment. I do.

He can be a divisive figure. There are certainly aspects of his life that are unsavory and unsettling, and hard to forgive. But he was a product of a sub-optimal environment at a hard time in American history, and he acted poorly even for someone in a bad setting. But at the same time, he went looking for a better way, and when he found one and bought into it, then later found both he and it were flawed, he attempted to better himself again.

Again I say, while imperfect -- even in the end -- that recognition that he was wrong and the attempt to improve himself for the sake of his community is commendable and something we can all learn something from, especially when we feel like burying our heads in the sand of present belief rather than considering we may be wrong.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-11-18 08:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Malik Shabbaz aka Malcom X was a black supremacist only in his early days, when he joined Elijah Mohammed's "Nation of Islam", a perverted version of Islam that he tailored for black people. One of its tenets was black supremacy.

Then he made a pilgrimage to Mecca and saw people of all colors wearing the same clothes, doing the same things, all equal in his eyes. It opened his eyes and he started learning Islam from its authentic sources.

It's in his famous autobiography.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-11-18 08:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I also can't rule out myself using violence had I been in his shoes.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-18 08:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
I also can't rule out myself using violence had I been in his shoes.

That's kind of the thing that gets me.

You try growing up with few good role models in a shitty setting where negative influences abound and see how much of a chip you have on your shoulder. That he was eventually able to put that behind him is a pretty powerful message.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-18 08:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't even..
Someone tell me again how it's the religion of peace...

The audio is chilling if you haven't heard it.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-11-18 08:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ironically, for all his fiery speeches against the severe discrimination blacks faced back then, he wasn't assassinated by whites or the government. He was assassinated by members of the Nation of Islam.

It just tells you where their (Narion of Islam) real priorities lied.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-18 08:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Latest Obama lunacy of the day...

If we don't take in all these syrian muslims (who shout god is great during a moment of silence for France at a Turkish stadium), we're just "“fearful of widows” and “worried about three-year-old orphans.”

My other personal favorite is the same guy who's on tv minutes after a mass shooting telling us we have to 'get rid of the guns' is telling people that if we stop taking in refugees just because of the terrorist attacks that that is based on "hysteria or an exaggeration of risks".
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-18 09:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

They were turkish, not syrians.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-11-18 09:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

I don't even..
Someone tell me again how it's the religion of peace...

The audio is chilling if you haven't heard it.
What they did is reprehensible.

But what about all the Muslim people I know who changed their Facebook profile picture to show solidarity for France?

Your answer is probably: what happened in Turkey represents the true followers of Islam, while those FB supporters are liberal Muslims.

Your problem is that you view the world in an "us good, them bad" mentality, and try to explain everything that happens around you accordingly. You should instead try to better understand why certain people behave in a certain way under certain circumstances.

Turkey has suffered a similar (in death count) bombing last month during a peaceful protest.

Turkey also has been intervening in Syria against IS. Turkey isn't really some orthodox Muslim country. A good chunk of its population are not that religious (compared to Middle Easertn countries).

We would all agree on condemning the chants but only you would readily jump in with his explanations that are influenced by his preconceived notions about..everything.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-11-18 09:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
If we don't take in all these syrian muslims (who shout god is great during a moment of silence for France at a Turkish stadium), we're just "“fearful of widows” and “worried about three-year-old orphans.”

My other personal favorite is the same guy who's on tv minutes after a mass shooting telling us we have to 'get rid of the guns' is telling people that if we stop taking in refugees just because of the terrorist attacks that that is based on "hysteria or an exaggeration of risks".
So, as you understand it, the Syrian refugees attended a Turkey vs. Greece game? Do I even need to point out the absurdity of comparing the risk of terrorism from refugees to the risk of gun violence?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-11-18 09:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Norse myths are badass. But even harder to swallow as factual than Christianity....
Balder died for your sins!

In other news Jindal's out.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ends bid for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination

AP in the Minneapolis Star Tribune

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 1080 1081 1082 ... 1375 1376 1377