U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 44 45 46
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 13:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Quote:
Publicists at the United Nations, Mr. Al Gore, and their supporters frequently claim that only a few “skeptics” remain – skeptics who are still unconvinced about the existence of a catastrophic human-caused global warming emergency.

It is evident that 31,487 Americans with university degrees in science – including 9,029 PhDs, are not "a few." Moreover, from the clear and strong petition statement that they have signed, it is evident that these 31,487 American scientists are not “skeptics.”

These scientists are instead convinced that the human-caused global warming hypothesis is without scientific validity and that government action on the basis of this hypothesis would unnecessarily and counterproductively damage both human prosperity and the natural environment of the Earth.
Source

There is no verification required to confirm these people have a science background or anything.
Not really sure how well they check the credentials on that. But you can google each name separately. I'm definitely not Googling 31,000 names, lol.

I think the minimum requirement though is a verified bachelor's degree in any field of science.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-10 13:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, TV weather forecasters who require little to no scientific training have an opinion on something they aren't qualified to comment on. Good for them.

I have two degrees in Evolution and Ecology. When can I start advising NASA on their next space mission?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 13:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
It's not a scare tactic if what he advocates is demonstrably true. Your own link explains that he made his money from investments in technology. Why do you hate capitalism?
I'm a huge advocate of real capitalism. Not state-forced capitalism as someone put it before.

Demonstratively true, how so? I just skimmed over 6 pages of people who could not agree on what sets of data to use, never mind prove it to be demonstratively true.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-10 13:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I don't have a good argument...therefore name calling. Classic.
At least Kara looked at the sources and picked them part. This guy Milamber, very aggressive right off the bat.

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
You truly are an idiot.
Edit:idiot is probably too harsh; there are many others that possibly deserve the title at least as much.
self-aggrandizing, attention seeking, and willfully ignorant/obtuse probably do apply.
Well you certainly convinced me.

Jetackuu said: »
Grid efficiency, is an amazing thing.
It is if they ever did it. Instead they just invent carbon credits, make a ton of money and call it green.

You declared that Al Gore scammed people, presumably due to promoting environmentalism/climate change.
The article you quoted tries to loosely associate spending money on a smart grid as promoting green technology, when environmentalism is one of the lesser contributing factors to establishing a smart grid, as it doesn't give a particularly give a preferential damn what the relative power source is, but allows better utlization/load balancing and distribtion of power, among other fairly important benefits.

Your quote attempts to link provding money to upgrade the power grid as part of environmentalism, and then you make the declaration that "Al Gore scammed you guys good". Which is blatantly untrue, in the context of the information you yourself provided.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 13:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, TV weather forecasters who require little to no scientific training have an opinion on something they aren't qualified to comment on. Good for them.

I have two degrees in Evolution and Ecology. When can I start advising NASA on their next space mission?
What degree would you consider them to posses that would make them qualified then?
By Jetackuu 2014-05-10 13:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-10 13:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

Quote:
Publicists at the United Nations, Mr. Al Gore, and their supporters frequently claim that only a few “skeptics” remain – skeptics who are still unconvinced about the existence of a catastrophic human-caused global warming emergency.

It is evident that 31,487 Americans with university degrees in science – including 9,029 PhDs, are not "a few." Moreover, from the clear and strong petition statement that they have signed, it is evident that these 31,487 American scientists are not “skeptics.”

These scientists are instead convinced that the human-caused global warming hypothesis is without scientific validity and that government action on the basis of this hypothesis would unnecessarily and counterproductively damage both human prosperity and the natural environment of the Earth.
Source

There is no verification required to confirm these people have a science background or anything.
Not really sure how well they check the credentials on that. But you can google each name separately. I'm definitely not Googling 31,000 names, lol.

I think the minimum requirement though is a verified bachelor's degree in any field of science.

The information provided is insufficient to verify any of the degrees listed by any reasonable measure; it isn't unreasonable to assume that no such verification step has been performed.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 13:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

At least Kara looked at the sources and picked them part. This guy Milamber, very aggressive right off the bat.

You truly are an idiot.
Edit:idiot is probably too harsh; there are many others that possibly deserve the title at least as much.
self-aggrandizing, attention seeking, and willfully ignorant/obtuse probably do apply.

It is if they ever did it. Instead they just invent carbon credits, make a ton of money and call it green.

You declared that Al Gore scammed people, presumably due to promoting environmentalism/climate change.
The article you quoted tries to loosely associate spending money on a smart grid as promoting green technology, when environmentalism is one of the lesser contributing factors to establishing a smart grid, as it doesn't give a particularly give a preferential damn what the relative power source is, but allows better utlization/load balancing and distribtion of power, among other fairly important benefits.

Your quote attempts to link provding money to upgrade the power grid as part of environmentalism, and then you make the declaration that "Al Gore scammed you guys good". Which is blatantly untrue, in the context of the information you yourself provided.
Al Gore made his money. Where exactly has the power grid been updated?

Definitely not in New York, New York City, or in New Jersey.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 13:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Hurricane Sandy showed just how out of date the whole system was and still is.

Connecticut as well.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 13:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's try it this way. Show me one positive thing Al Gore and his carbon credits have done for the U.S.?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-10 13:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not a scare tactic if what he advocates is demonstrably true. Your own link explains that he made his money from investments in technology. Why do you hate capitalism?
I'm a huge advocate of real capitalism. Not state-forced capitalism as someone put it before.

Demonstratively true, how so? I just skimmed over 6 pages of people who could not agree on what sets of data to use, never mind prove it to be demonstratively true.
The decades of corroborating research summarized in something like the link in the OP trump random forumgoer's misconceptions about statistical analysis. If you're actually looking for evidence, it's readily available to you.

What degree would you consider them to posses that would make them qualified then?
Qualifications can vary, but the people most qualified to comment on the climate matters, actual climatologists and others who are actively engaged in climate research, are conveniently ignored in your surveys. It's lying by omission and is incredibly dishonest.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-10 13:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's try it this way. Show me one positive thing Al Gore and his carbon credits have done for the U.S.?
Positive in what context?

Buying and selling carbon credits to/from other countries to keep science and technology moving forward, while still applying a certain degree of pressure to design and engineer greener technology?

Creating a market for more energy efficient products, which has sparked some competition and demand for those who like to save money long term?

Creating jobs in the Energy Efficiency Market, creating awareness, updating employee skill profiles, and education on green technology?

Using those carbon credits to offset, however minimal the effect is, on a multi-trillion dollar world debt?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 13:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Donating 100% of your profits from the sale of your book to spread your message only counts if you have that cult mentality.

It's need to be something tangible that has improved the environment, or the power grid even.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-10 13:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

climate change is a fascist conspiracy thought up by gay atheists....I might be getting my threads mixed up.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 13:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The decades of corroborating research summarized in something like the link in the OP trump random forumgoer's misconceptions about statistical analysis. If you're actually looking for evidence, it's readily available to you.

Qualifications can vary, but the people most qualified to comment on the climate matters, actual climatologists and others who are actively engaged in climate research, are conveniently ignored in your surveys. It's lying by omission and is incredibly dishonest.
I didn't do the surveys, lol.
By fonewear 2014-05-10 13:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Provided South Park with some good episodes of TV.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-10 13:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
climate change is a fascist conspiracy thought up by gay atheists....I might be getting my threads mixed up.

Gay atheist says climate change has made it hard to find a lover.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-10 13:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

You linked them to support a point, no?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 13:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »

Buying and selling carbon credits to/from other countries to keep science and technology moving forward, while still applying a certain degree of pressure to design and engineer greener technology?

Creating a market for more energy efficient products, which has sparked some competition and demand for those who like to save money long term?

Creating jobs in the Energy Efficiency Market, creating awareness, updating employee skill profiles, and education on green technology?

Using those carbon credits to offset, however minimal the effect is, on a multi-trillion dollar world debt?
So awareness, jobs in manufacturing (which causes more pollution), saving money, and education.

While that may be positive to the consumer, it doesn't do anything for the environment.

Unless someone who received some education, actually did something with that education and has now found a way to reduce CO2 in the atmosphere. Or even just reduce the amount of CO2 and CH4 being released from industry.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 14:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The point was to question the statement made on the first page:
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I'll point out that every scientist who has ever spoken out against Global Warming, a group representing 8% of the community, has been traced directly back to Koch Industries.
It seems like it might be more than 8%. Not sure how many are linked to Koch.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-10 14:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You truly are an idiot.

Al Gore made his money. Where exactly has the power grid been updated?
https://www.smartgrid.gov/recovery_act/deployment_status
You are also making the assumption that he made money off of this.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-10 14:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Zicdeh also corrected himself and linked a figure that says specifically "climate and earth scientists".
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 14:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

My personal belief, which you all can criticize, is this:

Is global whatever real? No idea.

Do people (politicians and scientists) who go on about global whatever think it's real? I don't think they care unless they can profit from it.

Do they use that money to make a difference to the actual environment? Not that I've seen.

What is the real problem? Pollution, oil spills, pipeline bursts, fracking, ozone depletion, poisoning drinking water. Unfortunately there is too much money in industries that lobby to allow these things to go no matter what laws are passed or what science is telling them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-10 14:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So awareness, jobs in manufacturing (which causes more pollution), saving money, and education.

While that may be positive to the consumer, it doesn't do anything for the environment.

Unless someone who received some education, actually did something with that education and has now found a way to reduce CO2 in the atmosphere. Or even just reduce the amount of CO2 and CH4 being released from industry.

So you already see that awareness as a negative thing, when it's in fact, positive. You said for the U.S., and not for the environment. I asked for a context, which I posted a few, that ultimately reduce energy consumption, changes the type of manufacturing being done, and has already seen a positive impact on the environment, by creating technology that uses bio-degradable products, that limit the impact on the environment.

Education and awareness are already being put to use, since there's a story already about a Canadian University and it's students creating a vehicle that could potentially traverse across the majority of the US (from New Jersey to, I think it was somewhere in California) on a single gallon of a gasoline equivalent.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-10 14:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The point was to question the statement made on the first page:
Quote:
I'll point out that every scientist who has ever spoken out against Global Warming, a group representing 8% of the community, has been traced directly back to Koch Industries.
It seems like it might be more than 8%. Not sure how many are linked to Koch.

Like all surveys, it depends on the sample size.

The one in particular I'm citing is a survey of approximately 350,000 Scientists from around the globe, and 30,000 of them deny global warming.

Actually, more accurately they take the less ridiculous stance of believing global warming is not impacted significantly by human activity, because simple data shows the planet is in fact heating up. But the geological record also suggests we're at the tail end of an ice age, so that's not exactly unexpected.

The big threat in the end, isn't that the planet will become a broiling Venusian hothouse, but that even the minor warm-up will cause the ocean currents to change, which drives the winds and weather of the planet. We've relied so long on the fairly predictable weather patterns, things like where Tornadoes and Hurricanes strike, what places are more subject to drought, torrential rains, yadda yadda. We've built our entire civilization for the past 200 years on this knowledge. Surely you can see the ramifications of that data no longer being accurate.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 14:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Zicdeh also corrected himself and linked a figure that says specifically "climate and earth scientists".
Oh yeah I see it now.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 14:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

creating technology that uses bio-degradable products, that limit the impact on the environment.

Canadian University and it's students creating a vehicle that could potentially traverse across the majority of the US (from New Jersey to, I think it was somewhere in California) on a single gallon of a gasoline equivalent.
Ok now we're talking. That's definitely a start.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-10 14:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

creating technology that uses bio-degradable products, that limit the impact on the environment.

Canadian University and it's students creating a vehicle that could potentially traverse across the majority of the US (from New Jersey to, I think it was somewhere in California) on a single gallon of a gasoline equivalent.
Ok now we're talking. That's definitely a start.

Here's something cool in the "Sustainable" realm. Although if you really think about it, I think it's fairly easy to poke holes in the concept. (Cost of Maintenance for example)
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-10 14:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Are carbon credits a scam to make Al Gore rich? Yes.

Do carbon credits themselves do any good? As far as I can see it a lazy way to pass the buck. Unless your passing that money to a company that directly reduces pollution in the air or to the environment.

Bloodrose pointed out an example on that.

But to what extent have these credits worked?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-05-10 14:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Are carbon credits a scam to make Al Gore rich? Yes.

Do carbon credits themselves do any good? As far as I can see it a lazy way to pass the buck. Unless your passing that money to a company that directly reduces pollution in the air or to the environment.

Bloodrose pointed out an example on that.

But to what extent have these credits worked?
You define them as a scam, then ask if they worked, despite being given an example of how they did?

Edit> Or to what extent they have worked, rather than simply if
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 44 45 46