U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 41 42 43 ... 44 45 46
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-08-14 06:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi has been topicbanned.

As always, insults and slurs are not tolerated.
[+]
By Voren 2015-08-14 07:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
This should be interesting. First, cite the time
Prior to 1492

Quote:
and place you're referring to
everywhere

Quote:
second, prove your claim about harassment and persecution.
grab any history book referencing the discovery of North America
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-14 16:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been 10 hours since the hippies told me that it's my fault the earth is polluted. What's wrong with you people???
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-16 03:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny how he thinks I'm only talking about Galileo Galilei, the theory that the Earth wasn't flat nor the center of the universe had bee around for while. Many religions opposed it because its acceptance would challenge their power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliocentrism

I find it quite fitting seeing as the current popular flavor of progressive liberalism has become a religion. Any evidence or argument that supports it's central tenants are presented as indisputable truths that were handled down by the great progressive messiah himself. They become scripture that must be accepted as pure. Any evidence or arguments to the contrary is treated as heresy created from the great evil to distract and confuse the pure believers from the indisputable truth. And one who supports those arguments, or even alludes to the indisputable holy truths not being entirely correct, is branded and ostracized, treated as a follower and supporter of the great evil and an enemy to the pure and righteous people. It' got all the markers of a cult.

The time tables I posted earlier along with the complete lack of global warming in 18+ years, even though the holy indisputable truths say there must be, is sufficient evidence alone to rethink the entire theory. That it's entirely ignored by the AGW alarmists just shows they aren't really interested in science or truth, and are instead just pushing a political agenda aimed at seizing power for themselves and using it to defeat their enemies.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-17 00:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The truth is not global warming. Global warming is inaccurate. There is climate change happening, just not in the form of "global warming". The term global warming is too broad of a statement. Some areas warm, others cool, and so on. What is really happening is we are seeing weather extremes rather than "warming" as a whole across the planet. There are extreme drought in some places that normally do not see drought on this magnitude, and other areas extreme flooding beyond what is considered normal, you might get a blizzard instead of snowfall, and a hurricane instead of a tropical storm etc etc etc.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-17 03:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been "global warming" since it's inception and later acceptance as a political tool for change by the progressives's. They have attempted to redefine it since all their models and predictions failed miserably.

And when you mention "extreme weather", I respond with compared to what? Earlier I posted several graphs showing this world has been much warmer and much colder throughout it's history, the stupendously vast majority of it before we started walking up right. There have been several "extreme" events that wiped out massive numbers of life across the planet. So what's our real basis of comparison? I can guarantee your thinking the weather patterns from the period of 1900~2000, which isn't nearly long enough to make any sort of valid comparison. You need a few thousand years worth of data at a minimum to get your results within the error bar, at least ten to twenty thousand years to have any sort of confidence in it and 100,000+ for you to be able to make predictions with it.

That is how vast and diverse our planet is and how small and utterly meaningless we are.

Did you know our planet looked about like this for a very long period of time before we existed.

I would call that a little bit "extreme" wouldn't you? And we sure as hell haven't found any evidence of prehistoric SUV's and coal factories buried anywhere.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-17 03:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

pic wont show... could be my tablet, sorry.

And of course there were no SUV, but the end results remain the same. only this time the atmospheres composition change is human caused rather than natural causes in the past like emissions from volcanoes, microorganisms, etc.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-17 04:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It's snowball earth, the long period of time our planet was almost entirely covered in ice. It's responsible for many of the geological formations we have today. It's also responsible for lots of life dieing out and the near extinction of everything.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-18 18:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice edit there.

Quote:
And of course there were no SUV, but the end results remain the same. only this time the atmospheres composition change is human caused rather than natural causes in the past like emissions from volcanoes, microorganisms, etc.

Prove it.

Nobody gets a free pass in science. If someone can't prove their theory, then it's a trash theory. So far the AGW theorists have been unable to prove their theory. They can't even demonstrate the validity of the "CO2 forcing H2O vapor" component that is key to the entire theory. The AGW theory that everyone was sold on in the 90's and early 2000's predicted that at the current CO2 levels we would be much warmer then it is now. They predicted a complete end to snow accumulation in the middle of the USA and around the UK. They predicted, with exact numbers, several glaciers having already melted. None of those predictions have come true, and yet you ask, nay you demand that I accept their predictions as absolute?

That is why AGW theory is a religion. You demand obedience and trust while offering no solid evidence. This makes you no different then the charlatans on TV preaching faith healing.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-18 19:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, it's Saevel. Another person charging in and claiming everything is wrong with absolutely nothing to back it up unless a wikipedia link to Heliocentrism is supposed to prove anything relevant.
Valefor.Endoq said: »
The truth is not global warming. Global warming is inaccurate. There is climate change happening, just not in the form of "global warming". The term global warming is too broad of a statement. Some areas warm, others cool, and so on. What is really happening is we are seeing weather extremes rather than "warming" as a whole across the planet. There are extreme drought in some places that normally do not see drought on this magnitude, and other areas extreme flooding beyond what is considered normal, you might get a blizzard instead of snowfall, and a hurricane instead of a tropical storm etc etc etc.
This is incorrect. Global warming and climate change refer to two different things. GW refers to the average increase of temperature of the planet taken as a whole. This is what you see in those graphs where temperature is gradually increasing as a global average. It's a broad statement because it is meant to be.

Climate change describes the effects of this global increase and fits more of what you're describing. Both are accurate terms when used in the correct context.
Asura.Saevel said: »
Quote:

Prove it.
Been done.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ef200914u
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/how-do-we-know-that-recent-cosub2sub-increases-are-due-to-human-activities-updated/ (includes proper citations)
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-18 19:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Oh, it's Saevel. Another person charging in and claiming everything is wrong with absolutely nothing to back it up unless a wikipedia link to Heliocentrism is supposed to prove anything relevant.

Ptolomy was wrong so AGW is too?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-18 20:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone should start a new thread devoted to all the peer-reviewed research and well-researched arguments against current global warming theory. It can be titled "Global warming is wrong because... well, it just is ok?".
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-18 20:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Took him so long to respond, I forgot to even check back.

Asura.Saevel said: »
I find it quite fitting seeing as the current popular flavor of progressive liberalism has become a religion.
Well, thank you for clearing up the confusion. Like I said, I was pretty sure you were part of #TeamDenial but the things you were citing are strong points in favor of recognizing reality. You're not even trying with that whole "equating people determined to retain political power through religion" to progressivism. There's no amount of alcohol I could drink that'd cause that sentence to make sense.

Incidentally, I used a hashtag, something I never do, to indicate my utter contempt. Just felt like pointing that out.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-18 22:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone should start a new thread devoted to all the peer-reviewed research and well-researched arguments against current global warming theory. It can be titled "Global warming is wrong because... well, it just is ok?".

I'm personally waiting for the GOP to take a brave stand against exploring the edge of the world.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-20 03:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

I'm personally waiting for the GOP to take a brave stand against exploring the edge of the world.
The edge of the world?
By Jetackuu 2015-08-20 07:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The edge of the world?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-20 19:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The edge of the world?
Ignore him, he is trying to be funny.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-20 19:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Climate Change Deniers Present Graphic Description Of What Earth Must Look Like For Them To Believe
Quote:
WASHINGTON—Evoking cataclysmic scenes of extreme weather and widespread drought and famine, the nation’s climate change deniers held a press conference Wednesday to describe exactly what the Earth must look like before they will begin to believe in human-induced global warming.

The group of skeptics, who said that the consensus among 97 percent of the scientific community and the documented environmental transformations already underway are simply not proof enough, laid out the precise sequence and magnitude of horrific events—including natural disasters, proliferation of infectious diseases, and resource wars—they would have to witness firsthand before they are swayed.

“For us to accept that the average surface temperature of the Earth has risen to critical levels due to mankind’s production of greenhouse gases, we’ll need to see some actual, visible evidence, including a global death toll of no less than 500 million people within a single calendar year,” said spokesperson William Davis, 46, of Jackson, NJ, who added that at least 70 percent of all islands on the planet would also have to become submerged under rising seas before he and his cohort would reconsider their beliefs. “To start, we’re going to have to see supercell tornadoes of category F4 or higher ripping through Oklahoma at least three times a day, leveling entire communities and causing hundreds of fatalities—and just to be perfectly clear, we’re talking year-round, not just during the spring tornado season.”

“I don’t think it’s too much to ask to see a super hurricane destroying the Southeast U.S. and another one at the same time decimating the Pacific Northwest before I make up my mind about this.”
“The reality is that we’re still experiencing cold, snowy winters, and the entire global population is not currently embarking on cross-continental migrations in search of arable land,” Davis continued. “Until that changes, we cannot be expected to believe climate change is occurring.”

Davis went on to say that certain events, such as massive, uncontrollable wildfires across the U.S—not just restricted to the American West, but in areas including Florida and New England—would render climate change deniers open to reevaluating the decades’ worth of data that show the planet is warming at a catastrophic rate. Additionally, Davis said that for the community to begin believing a single word of any scientific journal article corroborating climate change, every one of Earth’s glaciers would have to retreat at a rate exceeding 20 miles per year, and each of the skeptics, individually, would have to go a decade without seeing naturally occurring ice anywhere.

Furthermore, climate change deniers maintained that if the total number of plant and animal species on the planet remained higher than 200 in aggregate, they would not be dissuaded from their belief that Earth is simply experiencing one of its natural warming cycles that would eventually resolve itself on its own.

“I don’t think it’s too much to ask to see a super hurricane destroying the Southeast U.S. and another one at the same time decimating the Pacific Northwest before I make up my mind about this,” said global warming skeptic Michelle Wilkinson of Medina, MN, adding that she would be willing to recognize the findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change if repeated and unpredictable storm surge flooding rendered every major East Coast city, including Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C., wholly uninhabitable. “The fact of the matter is that if I walk outside at any time of day at any point in the year and it’s below 90 degrees, then there simply isn’t enough proof that we need to be cutting carbon emissions.”

After clarifying that the desertification of major population centers, and the global refugee crisis that would result, would be necessary but not sufficient evidence of climate change, the skeptics reportedly unveiled a vivid artist’s rendering of the vast expanse of parched, lifeless earth and dead trees that each of them must see through the windows of their homes before reversing their opposition to public schools teaching children about global warming.

“We keep hearing all this mumbo-jumbo about the sixth mass extinction we’re in the midst of,” said Mitch McConnell, a U.S. senator from Kentucky, at the conclusion of the press conference. “Well, if that’s the case, then tell me this: Why aren’t the streets littered with human bodies right now, with the ragged bands of the still-living siphoning the moisture from the corpses of the dead?”

“We’re not unreasonable; we just need the evidence to be convincing before we make a decision,” McConnell added.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-21 01:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So I looked up this flat earth thing and apparently this is actually a thing more and more people believe... in modern times, today, right now.

My brain can't even. It just can't.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-21 05:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone knows the Earth is doughnut shaped.

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-21 09:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So I looked up this flat earth thing and apparently this is actually a thing more and more people believe... in modern times, today, right now.

My brain can't even. It just can't.

Sadly, yes it is gaining ground.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-21 10:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if Pleebo meant to present The Onion article as satire or if he actually was serious about the article in question.

I'm going for the latter, since he will do anything to preserve his religion...
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-21 13:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny because it makes fun of deniers! But I've been assured everyone here is a skeptic so don't take it personal.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-21 14:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

To Pleebo:

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-21 14:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny because it makes fun of deniers! But I've been assured everyone here is a skeptic so don't take it personal.
Why should I take it personal?

I'm not the one who presented an obviously satire article as an argumentative point. You did.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-21 15:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You're, like, on the verge of understanding the point of satire.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-21 20:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Strange for you to say that, since it's pretty obvious that you don't know what it means.

I guess anything to backpedal from your embarrassing argument, right?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-21 20:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

What special series of neuron misfires led you to believe that I wasn't aware of the satirical nature of an article I pulled from a satirical website widely known for their satire that I visit nearly everyday because I enjoy said satire?

Please stop trying so hard. The spectacle is entertaining but distracting.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-21 22:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

What special series of neuron misfires led you to believe that I wasn't aware of the satirical nature of an article I pulled from a satirical website widely known for their satire that I visit nearly everyday because I enjoy said satire?

Please stop trying so hard. The spectacle is entertaining but distracting.
Maybe the painful truth of global warming is too much for him to bear, so his defensive mechanism for handling it is the reason behind the things he says.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-21 23:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Strange for you to say that, since it's pretty obvious that you don't know what it means.

I guess anything to backpedal from your embarrassing argument, right?

It's funny they use words like "denier" as a way to make it sound like Holocaust deniers or something when in reality it's just people who want real science to be done without political interference. Their models failed, their predictions never came true, the AGW folks cried wolf and yet no wolf appeared, then they want to accuse us of being unreasonable for not taking them at their word.

It's why I really don't like modern progressives, their entire argument always boils down to "agree to what I'm saying or I will attack and shame you into complying".
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 41 42 43 ... 44 45 46