U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 37 38 39 ... 44 45 46
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-13 15:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Pointing out hypocrisy is not provoking.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 15:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wormfeeder said: »
Better to live a lie than except the truth.

You want to talk about a subject of knowledge and understanding?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-13 15:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
So your sticking point is a near unattainable standard. Convenient. Means you never get to argue anything substantive yet still have something to fall back on. You know very well I do not have access to raw data nor is it widely available. The closest you could come would be emailing corresponding authors. Still, I've linked several more in-depth pieces compared to the one in the OP and have received zero feedback on the actual science. Saying that models need work is like saying water is wet. Top shelf observation.

Is there a good reason why the data isn't widely available? Maybe I'm in an unusual position, but typically when I ask for data, I get it. You can sit there and tell me all day long about your procedures and processes and techniques and tell me how accurate it all is, but the actual evidence is found in analyzing collected data. Everything else may look good on paper, but it's superficial.
Maybe it's because we are so quick to blame something/anything for any/all ills in the world that we will take the quickest route to blame without actually finding out the problem first.

Like how the housing crisis is Bush's fault. ACA is Romney's fault. Iran is Reagan's fault. So on and so forth.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 15:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Let's pretend for a minute that human made co2 is the #1 cause of climate change. What's a tangible solution?

I don't see that being argued. That's probably why you don't get it.
Say that again.
I don't see that being argued. That's probably why you don't get it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 15:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Religious people are more open to discussion than the church of Al Gore. I asked for a tangible solution and get nothing.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-13 15:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Religious people are more open to discussion than the church of Al Gore. I asked for a tangible solution and get nothing.
They are still a young religion and therefor thinks that they are invulnerable to attack or rebuttal.

Give it time when they start to lose their followers, then they will wake up and realize how wrong they are....
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-13 15:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Talking exactly like the Lordgrim you love so much.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-08-13 15:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I asked for a tangible solution and get nothing.

hey *** you, I gave you a tangible way to get rid of at least a billion people, YOU THINK THAT WON'T HELP THE CLIMATE!?!?!?!?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 15:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
I asked for a tangible solution and get nothing.

hey *** you, I gave you a tangible way to get rid of at least a billion people, YOU THINK THAT WON'T HELP THE CLIMATE!?!?!?!?
Ok my bad, one person.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 15:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You asked for a solution based on a false premise.

But if you want a solution to CO2 being a green-house gas and adding more of it to the atmosphere causing drastic changes in global climate well it should be obvious, but I'll try: reduce the amount of CO2 we're putting in the atmosphere then reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

The world will survive, it's us humans that won't at this rate.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-13 15:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Many species will die before us actually. But ecosystems are a domino effect anyway.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 15:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

reduce the amount of CO2 we're putting in the atmosphere then reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
So how do you do this?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-13 15:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

A tangible solution that doesn't include any change in our current system, doesn't cost any money, doesn't in any way limit anyone or any corporation from spewing as much carbon as they want, and most importantly, doesn't contain any kale.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 15:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

reduce the amount of CO2 we're putting in the atmosphere then reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
So how do you do this?

Can'ttellifserious.jpg

Knowing you, I doubt it.

Stop burning so much *** oil would be a good start.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 15:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
and most importantly, doesn't contain any kale.

Now you're just being downright reasonable.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 15:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Many species will die before us actually. But ecosystems are a domino effect anyway.

That too, but I wanted to try to keep it simple.

Ya, know.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-13 15:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Talking exactly like the Lordgrim you love so much.
Just because I ask for proof doesn't mean that I am denying that climate change is occurring, just not buying into the whole religion until evidence is presented to me as to why it is happening and how it is occurring and how we can fix it.

Answer those 3 questions, and make sure that everyone agrees with it, and I will buy into your religion.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-13 15:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Also there are many alternatives for energy production. While sure some are still in testing, are exist and work and just aren't used enough. Biomasses for example.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 15:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So how do you do this?

Can'ttellifserious.jpg

Knowing you, I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure Chaos was looking for more specifics. "Stop burning so much oil" is like saying "Can't we all just get along". It's not going to happen on its own, you need to provide an actual plan.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-13 15:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who calls scientific research religion is not someone I'm willing to entertain in debate.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-13 15:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So your sticking point is a near unattainable standard. Convenient. Means you never get to argue anything substantive yet still have something to fall back on. You know very well I do not have access to raw data nor is it widely available. The closest you could come would be emailing corresponding authors. Still, I've linked several more in-depth pieces compared to the one in the OP and have received zero feedback on the actual science. Saying that models need work is like saying water is wet. Top shelf observation.

Is there a good reason why the data isn't widely available? Maybe I'm in an unusual position, but typically when I ask for data, I get it. You can sit there and tell me all day long about your procedures and processes and techniques and tell me how accurate it all is, but the actual evidence is found in analyzing collected data. Everything else may look good on paper, but it's superficial.
From a practical standpoint, these data sets are typically huge and publishing them along with the article proper would be difficult and cost-prohibitive, unless you're an organization like NASA who can just fill their own servers. Researchers could also still be using their data and relinquishing their rights to it by publishing it or just making it publicly available would be destructive to their future research.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-13 15:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So, again, you only came here to provoke Pleebo?
Did the h-word show up yet?

Edit: It has!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-13 15:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who calls scientific research religion is not someone I'm willing to entertain in debate.
Most scientific research is just that. For some reason, climate science has reached to a point of piety where anyone in that group is absolutely right and everyone outside that group is absolutely wrong. Which is, a religion through and through.

Good job dodging the request though. Like I really expected you to answer any one of those 3 items anyway.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-13 15:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I offered one of the many alternatives for energy production what did I dodge? Why it happens? Well that's obvious cause CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 15:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So how do you do this?

Can'ttellifserious.jpg

Knowing you, I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure Chaos was looking for more specifics. "Stop burning so much oil" is like saying "Can't we all just get along". It's not going to happen on its own, you need to provide an actual plan.

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious, so to his smart *** question I gave a smart *** answer.

There's a lot of plans laid out for it though, the ones that an entire group of people dislike because they're told to.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-13 15:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So, again, you only came here to provoke Pleebo?
Did the h-word show up yet?

Edit: It has!

Oh ***, I may need to get the board ready.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-13 15:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So how do you do this?

Can'ttellifserious.jpg

Knowing you, I doubt it.

So long as there is a public debate about whether climate change is real or whether burning hydrocarbons contributes, nothing can change. If the public agreed like the scientists do, there would be more regulation, more money put into clean energy, etc. It's in the interest of people whose fortunes are built on oil to keep the debate going, while they rake in billions of dollars. Hence why people like me strongly advocate outlawing private campaign financing and lobbying. The fox is guarding the hen house, and the people who stand to gain from continued use of fossil fuels are the ones with the biggest voice on the subject. It's abhorrent.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-13 15:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So how do you do this?
The price of fossil fuels has to more accurately represent their true cost. There's really no way around it. Alternative green energy will just be a novelty until there's a financial incentive to actually invest in the proper infrastructure for it. Solar has been catching on in a lot of places simply because we have parts of the country where the space is cheap and panel technology has become less expensive, but a larger paradigm shift would have to include a much larger shift in order to avoid certain goal lines that we don't really want to reach.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-13 15:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

From a practical standpoint, these data sets are typically huge and publishing them along with the article proper would be difficult and cost-prohibitive, unless you're an organization like NASA who can just fill their own servers. Researchers could also still be using their data and relinquishing their rights to it by publishing it or just making it publicly available would be destructive to their future research.

So basically it's a stalemate. I don't have access to it because of bureaucratic barriers, and out of pure principle I never accept a graph at face value that I am not allowed to duplicate.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-13 15:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop burning so much fossil fuels, brilliant. Like I said before, until this can actually be done, the current plan is to tax the average citizen while both alarmists and oil/coal/fracking companies make more profits.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 37 38 39 ... 44 45 46