users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Returning PUP goals
Returning PUP goals
 Lakshmi.Kyosukerob
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Kyosukerob 2014-02-19 11:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello PUP forums, I'm a returning PUP back after a long time of other equally unproductive things. I haven't played since shortly after delve came out, maybe the first time someone on our server got a Tojil win or so. This was, of course, long before all those revamps to everything which is now confusing me. After coming back I've gotten Eminence h2h and alternator but pretty much nothing else. I'm working towards some artifact 109s but that'll take a while and kind of requires I wait for new challenges to make optimal use of my time. I've never done Delve or Skirmish and only have Shijin at the moment. Unfortunately few people still need Nyzul and it seems I'm practically up the creek until some folks I know finish their assault static. In the meantime I need to set some goals aside from RoE, Delve, and Skirmish.

TLDR: I have eminence h2h and alternator, shijin, and emp+2. I can't do Skirmish or Delve and am waiting on Nyzul. What else should a [hopefully soon to be] good PUP work towards?
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-02-19 11:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Eminence Animator beats Alternator, get it.

Grab some Ilvl equipment to tide you over until you either get 109 AF/Relic, Skirmish, or Naakaul gear. Nyzul, unless you need to get to floor 100 still, is easily soloable for the weapon if that's all you're missing.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2014-02-19 12:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Not understanding why you can't do skirmish, but NQ Nyzul isle can be solod now and pup does well there, skirmish does not require anything as far as I know, get in a PUG for the most part in yorcia you can win with 3 ppl, and otronif gear is very nice for a good master DD set and once you have all that you could possibly get into a low man delve if you got some friends that wanna go. GL.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kyosukerob
By Lakshmi.Kyosukerob 2014-02-19 12:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah sorry I have Eminence animator, bought it quick and never looked back (or at it apparently) to notice the actual name of it... I had been hoping to go with some folks with experience and I have an inferiority complex in terms of gear. In regards to Nyzul, I didn't know it could be entered solo but I've just been told there will still be lamp combo and "same time" floors.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2014-02-19 12:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I haven't tried it solo but I heard they relaxed the lamp req(could just be rumor) but if your lucky can still make it 5 floors at a time. Honestly @ skirmish don't even worry you will likely not be killing much if you have a blm, you will prolly help kill dens and blm will aga the mobs that come to the cantonment.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-02-19 12:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kyosukerob said: »
Ah sorry I have Eminence animator, bought it quick and never looked back (or at it apparently) to notice the actual name of it... I had been hoping to go with some folks with experience and I have an inferiority complex in terms of gear. In regards to Nyzul, I didn't know it could be entered solo but I've just been told there will still be lamp combo and "same time" floors.
If you get a lamp floor, you're screwed, but often times you'll get lucky enough to not even have to worry about it.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-02-19 16:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd suggest doing Adoulin coalition tasks to build up some bayld and unlock the ability to buy Wildskeeper Reive (WKR) key items, ASAP. Be sure to go through all of the Adoulin zones and unlock all of the waypoints and especially the homepoint crystals right next to WKR entrances.

Note on colonization reives: if a colonization reive is in your way with nobody fighting it, have no fear, automatons can solo them. Sneak/invis up, run in to deploy your DD puppet on the reive, then get back to a safe place and let the automaton do the work. It may take a while (maybe roughly an hour solo on the higher difficulty zones), but it's soloable with minimal effort and low risk of death. If you get JSE capes for other jobs, DO NOT TRASH THEM - supposedly 3:1 exchange is coming soon, possibly March update. PUP cape is pretty nice too.

Then, whenever you see a WKR shout, go to it. Plenty of very nice R/E rewards for PUP, including:
- Kaabnax Trousers (Ceizak/Bee)
- Kuiahuiz Leggings (Kamihr/Lion)
- Uk'uxkaj Cap (Marjami/Bird)
- Buremte Gloves (Yorcia/Tree)
- Ejekamal Mask (Foret/Shark)
- any zone has a chance of dropping JSE capes

Each of the legs and the Uk' Cap are still best in slot items for PUP for certain purposes.

If you don't get a direct drop of the items you're after, don't worry. The library in Eastern Adoulin will give you your pick of any item once you: (1) beat all of the first 5 WKRs (i.e. all except Kamihr) and (2) another pick including Kamihr drops once you beat all 6 of the current WKRs. Will also give you a selection of the orignal item level 106 items once you beat the first 3 zones (Ceizak, Foret, Morimar), but those rewards aren't that impressive with RoE/sparks gear beating them.

You ALSO get a pick of an item every time you do the RoE quest for the WKR and collect all six KIs, then turn them in to the RoE NPC. Be sure to open the quest before getting the WKR kill so you get sparks and to get the key items. Note that it says SEVEN treasures for the KIs but there are currently only six WKRs. Assumption would be that there's a 7th forthcoming, but not around yet - you still get a reward now from 6/6 KIs.
 Lakshmi.Kyosukerob
By Lakshmi.Kyosukerob 2014-02-19 20:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been storing some bayld and am waiting on some WKR, unfortunately I missed one last weekend as I was fresh out at the time. I'll certainly have to get my butt in gear to get this other junk done. Thanks guys.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-02-20 13:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

A few other thoughts:

If you're wanting some gil, PUP is quite good as a Dynamis soloer. With the new Relic stuff the market for currency/forgottens is pretty lucrative at the moment. Note that any automaton "ability" (Flashbulb, Strobe, Disruptor) counts as a WS proc, so it gives you the option to try for WS proc mobs and avoid some of the heavy competition for JA mobs. I kinda like to come PUP/THF for TH and do WS mobs, Soulsoother automaton. Sometimes you kill before you proc, but TH still helps increase currency haul and you can just keep killing. Forgottens aren't based on proc either, they're influenced by TH only and they drop at a higher rate from the higher level mobs in the zone.

Salvage is another event that PUP can perform pretty well on, and it has recently been changed to eliminate the old 3 person minimum entry requirement. Good for money (sell Alexandrite) or farming Salvage gear - mainly for other jobs. Usukane+1 is kinda outdated now for PUP, but I do still use my Omodaka legs for full automaton build (i.e. soloing colonization reives with the puppet).

Can also easily solo Limbus zones, get AF+1 for cheaper upgrades to ilevel 109 AF.
By Heimdel 2014-02-20 13:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If I remember nyzle isle pup ws is better than merit one.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-02-20 14:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, Stringing Pummel is better than Shijin Spiral (though the plague effect on SS is useful). Try your server's forum and see if anyone is running Nyzul.

To add to what Capuchin said, you can farm 3 hours in a day and make millions. 2 hours of Dynamis and 1 hour of Salvage 2. PUP is one of the best jobs for both of these activities. You won't beat the JA jobs like THF or DNC for raw currency in Dyna, but you will be more consistent since WS time has little competition. For Salvage 2, PUP is amazing. You'll be raking in gil doing this.

Maybe take some of it and try to find a merc group for Oatixurs? Also, Ninzas +2 are 119, and depending on augments they will actually beat Oats, I think. Otherwise, work on getting AF/Relic 109 (easy to get into SKCNMs) and 119 (Ark Angels groups are more picky about composition).
 Cerberus.Balloon
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Balloon 2014-02-20 14:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Throw in some Walk of Echos there, too. More random reward wise, but soloable and you can get some gear that sells for 400-1mil and Dice/Coin/Residue sacks.

Victory smite may be worth getting too, you can Tactical Switch into double light with it, which is quite a nice boon. Also lights with Inhibitor+RNG frame.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-02-20 16:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
119 (Ark Angels groups are more picky about composition).

All good points ^^

I'll expand a little on this one: Though you'll probably want to wait on AAs until you get some decent item level gear together, once you're ready PUP is actually a VERY nice DD on them. Since a lot of common AA setups use a PLD tank and DDs that can avoid pulling hate, PUP shines due to Ventriloquy. Dump your enmity onto your puppet whenever Vent is up (be sure to unlock the merit JA!), deactivate every couple Vents, and you're a solid DD contributor without some of the issues that other DD jobs have pulling hate off a PLD tank and getting killed. I like to use WHM puppet deployed at a safe distance, also helps your backline with cures and status removal.

RNG (Decoy Shot, relic WS) and DRG (High/Super Jump) are good AA DDs for the same reason. RNG shines the most due to high DD output and safety of being able to stand out of range, but if a good RNG isn't available I'd fill DD slots with PUPs and DRGs as my next choices.

It might require some selling to get a group to understand why PUP is a solid AA DD, since it's not really a common cookie cutter job. But it performs great on Normal difficulty with decent ilevel gear, and Difficult with very good Acc gear. Very Difficult does cause PUP to suffer quite a bit on accuracy even with high end gear, so I wouldn't really recommend PUP there unless you want to give a bad impression.
 Lakshmi.Kyosukerob
By Lakshmi.Kyosukerob 2014-02-21 10:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to do Dynamis PUP/THF before I quit but I'm sure I could make more now with the rise in currency and better gear, that's certainly something to try. I managed to go 1/2 on solo Nyzul attempts, both had combo floors right away... Still managed somehow on the second. Slowly getting there. I haven't done much WoE, I'll have to look into it. I had no idea chapters dropped from AA and spent a bit of sparks on them already. I'm doing Limbus to hopefully reduce the sum I'll need though. I've been told Espial gear would get me through the fights until i get 109 gear. Thanks again for all the responses. I've gone in and now gotten these answers in my shell but it's always tough to ask the questions when you don't even know what the question is... :)
By Lisotte 2014-02-21 11:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I'm also a returning PUP and I also quit right around the time Tojil was killed the first time.

I'm probably not TOO far behind, at least once I get the ball rolling with doing WKR and Skirmish; I hadn't done those before, mostly was doing Delve, Salvage 2 and a little bit of NNI before.

2 questions:

This has been burning me for a while, but prior to obtaining Oatixur, are Rigor Baghnahks or Eminent Baghnahks better? I'm terrible at math, can't figure it out.

What are my chances of getting into a Tojil group as a returning PUP? I'm not terribly behind on gear, thaumas body and such, and I can try and fill in the gaps. If it comes down to it I guess I'll have to dust off my BRD but that wasn't as good as my PUP last time around.

I might level MNK soon since that seems to be all the rage these days and a lot of the PUP gear overlaps with it.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-02-21 11:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lisotte said: »
Actually I'm also a returning PUP and I also quit right around the time Tojil was killed the first time.

I'm probably not TOO far behind, at least once I get the ball rolling with doing WKR and Skirmish; I hadn't done those before, mostly was doing Delve, Salvage 2 and a little bit of NNI before.

2 questions:

This has been burning me for a while, but prior to obtaining Oatixur, are Rigor Baghnahks or Eminent Baghnahks better? I'm terrible at math, can't figure it out.

What are my chances of getting into a Tojil group as a returning PUP? I'm not terribly behind on gear, thaumas body and such, and I can try and fill in the gaps. If it comes down to it I guess I'll have to dust off my BRD but that wasn't as good as my PUP last time around.

I might level MNK soon since that seems to be all the rage these days and a lot of the PUP gear overlaps with it.
Eminent win.

As long as you have Otronif, eminent animator, and eminent Baghnahks you should be fine to join Tojil though obviously MNK is more sought after and your chances of getting into a group will depend heavily on the mindset of the person looking for members.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2014-02-21 11:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Eminent. The extra skill makes their base damage basically identical even without the latent, and Eminent gives you a ton more acc/att (60-80 more acc, 40-50 more att).

Quote:
What are my chances of getting into a Tojil group as a returning PUP?

Probably moderately low, but nowhere near impossible. Too much depends on exactly who else is involved, and what your current gear capabilities are, to give any really meaningful answer, though.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-02-27 14:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Motenten said: »
Quote:

Eminent. The extra skill makes their base damage basically identical even without the latent, and Eminent gives you a ton more acc/att (60-80 more acc, 40-50 more att).

Not only are they better, Eminent are also easier/cheaper to get with just a small sparks requirement. Save your plasm/airlixir for other more helpful Delve stuff: Oats, Whirlpool Mask, Bladeborn/Steelflash, Asperity Necklace, R15 Mani body/legs/feet are still best in slot pieces for many situations, etc... And that's just gear for PUP, not even counting any other jobs you may be gearing.

I will note that Rigors retain one nice use: the Automaton Acc/Racc/Macc stats for situations where you might be using automaton only (and not fighting yourself). For instance, having the puppet solo reives. No real need to upgrade Rigors to get that benefit though, the base version has the same automaton stats as R15. I wouldn't prioritize it or anything, but if you get the drop or have spare plasm after buying the more important stuff, they're handy to keep around.
By Lisotte 2014-02-27 22:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had rigors since the week delve came out, alternator, the earrings, the necklace and the mani legs as well now. I took a break around the time tojil was first beat; now I've come back and it looks haaarrrddd to get into a tojil group as a pup. Maybe as my terrible brd, or maybe I'll have to wait till I finish leveling mnk.

Liking the eminent h2h and animator though, decent upgrade from rigors and alternator. Farmed dyna more efficiently, and sharpshot was able to solo the HQ khim in arrapago remnants 2 when I figured I'd try solo salvage.
By Balias 2014-02-27 22:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said: »
Eminence Animator beats Alternator, get it.

Grab some Ilvl equipment to tide you over until you either get 109 AF/Relic, Skirmish, or Naakaul gear. Nyzul, unless you need to get to floor 100 still, is easily soloable for the weapon if that's all you're missing.

Yeah, I returned after a 9 month absence and am slowly getting geared up, got all the ilvl gear from realm of eminence and now working on getting Stringing Pummel. Don't have any Nyzul Isle floors done so slowly trying to get all 16k ws points. The new gear makes soloing some nm's I never figured I be able to solo a joke. I even attempted soloing nyzul isle, got to 2nd floor and ran out of time but I'm glad my inferno claws dropped for me. Haven't done anything Adoulin yet, damn roots block the path to a mission I attempted and I was doing *** damage to it, have to get a key item that will enable me to do damage.
By Lisotte 2014-03-05 22:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Any thoughts on espial bracers vs mustela gloves for pummel and shijin? Haven't been able to get the reforged AF stuff yet (and how would the 109 AF gloves compare to those?)
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-03-11 12:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lisotte said: »
Any thoughts on espial bracers vs mustela gloves for pummel and shijin? Haven't been able to get the reforged AF stuff yet (and how would the 109 AF gloves compare to those?)

Espial are good for both. Worth noting that Pummel is generally the PUP WS you want to use in any situation, over either Shijin or Smite. Maybe Shijin has some niche uses for skillchains, or when you really want to use the plague effect to reduce mob TP on something you're soloing.

For Pummel:
* It's a crit WS so that's one consideration (crit rate>damage>DEX are all helpful), and mods are STR/VIT. A lot of people forget the fairly large VIT mod, and it's a good secondary consideration, though STR definitely takes priority since it also helps fSTR and Attack.
* Espial are no slouch until you get one of the top 119 options, which are a pretty close cluster of Otronif +1 with good augs (Crit+2% or DA+2%), Regimen Mittens, and AF/Relic 119.
* The 5/5 Espial set bonus (10% crit damage+) is really nice for Pummel. 5/5 set isn't ideal, but until you start filling in all the top options it's certainly not a bad way to go.
* Foire/Pitre 109 are mediocre for Pummel, use Espial over them.

Shijin is basically just stack all the DEX you can since it's such a heavy WS mod, and DEX also contributes to accuracy which is your other significant concern. Espial flat out beats both Pitre/Foire 109 hands for that, and will be very close to the 119 versions (and again, Regimen/Otronif also in the handful of best choices).

I don't think Mustela are even worth using any more. They're easily outclassed for Shijin by basically all of the current options. For Pummel, while the STR and DA are nice, they add no DEX/Acc at all, and give up a large chunk of VIT available on all of the iLevel choices that helps a lot as your secondary WS mod consideration.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [38 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2014-04-18 17:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

How is the game? I've been on a year Hiatus myself and thinking of returning as well, I really want to finish my Kenkonken now that salvage is soloable. Think I have like 8k-10k coins turned in. With Dynamis, Salvage and apparently WoE, I would hope to have it completed within 2 months.

Just wondering if it's worth coming back and how the rest of the game is.
 Quetzalcoatl.Aarahs
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Aarahs
By Quetzalcoatl.Aarahs 2014-04-20 11:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

There are a few people buying up alex here, so unless you've got the gil, you likely won't finish 30k that fast. Still, you can expect about 100-120 alex per run in Bhaflau Remnants 2 if you maximize your run.