users online
LUCK?
 Titan.Cripnicc
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2009-07-26 14:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I know u guys know someone mabey its even your self that are in incredibly lucky in terms of casting lot or getting an item to drop. I refuse to believe that it is totally random. Certain ppl are always getting the 100's in Dynamsis or some cool item from an NM which you have been tryn to camp for weeks and they get it on ther 1st try. My question to you is do you think it is totally random or is there something that effects these lots/drops?
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-07-26 14:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

i jus did /random 5 times and got 3 in the 700's one 500 and 250 lol maybe im one of those lucky *** =]
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-07-26 14:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no such thing as luck and there's no such thing as random. No matter how spiratic something may seem, there is always a pattern to it. Yes this pattern may be extremely complex and nearly impossible to find, but it is there.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-26 15:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of the last 20 /randoms for Assault armbands I've gotten over 500 3 times. SE clearly hates me.

The first part is true, the latter isn't. The RNG just likes to screw me over in Assault and BCNM /randoms, whatever XD It's about as random as any other randomly generated number for a computer program.
 Garuda.Feifongwong
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-07-26 15:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

idk about ffxi, but in older ff games there is a luck stat.

just sayin'
 Titan.Xantavia
user: xantavia
By Titan.Xantavia 2009-07-26 15:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

^^ I've often thought the same things. A lot of other RPG's out there have a luck stat. Wouldn't suprise me if FFXI had a hidden one somewhere too.
 Remora.Merchandise
Server: Remora
user: TooLegit
By Remora.Merchandise 2009-07-26 15:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

luck in FFXI comes in huge waves.. which makes the low parts suck more as well but when you get lucky its like a streak that lasts a few days it seems..
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-07-26 16:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you seriously forgetting who made this game? Are you not aware of how pitifully little information they give us about what affects game world behaviour? Someone who gets alot of 100s might be getting them because they roll with 6 THFs all with TH+ maxed out on a new moon, on lightsday, each member in the zone carrying exactly 3 rarab tails, all players having names starting with odd letters in the alphabet and lengths of no more than 8, but no less than 5 characters.

Lastly, if I could impart just ONE ounce of statistical common sense to the general population it would be what I am about to yell at you over the internet:

YOU CANNOT MAKE JUDGMENTS ABOUT THE "RANDOMNESS" OF A SYSTEM WITHOUT A VERY LARGE SAMPLE SIZE. EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE, BUT NOT EVERYTHING IS LIKELY.

There is nothing stopping you from rolling 999 every single roll you ever make, except for the fact that it is incredibly unlikely. However, from a statistical standpoint, saying "oh, I rolled 500 three times in a row so the system is biased." is just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

From a statistical standpoint.
[+]
 Titan.Verdell
user: Ardalus
By Titan.Verdell 2009-07-26 16:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

all mindpower
 Garuda.Aurilius
Server: Garuda
user: Aurilius
By Garuda.Aurilius 2009-07-26 16:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Some guy in campaign a bit ago lotted 900+ on 8 of the items.

Luck my ***.
 Asura.Sharpe
Server: Asura
user: Takezaki
By Asura.Sharpe 2009-07-26 16:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If no one is lotting against me, or I don't want the item that much then I'll random really high. If I really want it and/or people are lotting against me I'll be lucky to roll higher than 200.
 Fairy.Darlachan
Server: Fairy
user: Darlachan
By Fairy.Darlachan 2009-07-26 17:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Computers can never spit out random numbers. There is no function in a computer to say, "give me a random number between x and y". For a computer to give random numbers there needs to be a seed. (I don't feel like explaining the math behind it in this post...) And as much as you try to randomize the seed it just can't be done. So you no matter what you do, if you are trying to get a number between 0-10 depending on your seed the numbers might cluster around 7 or 2 or whatever.. Whatever SE is using as a seed for their lots it does tend to focus around certain characters. This does not mean those people get the seed advantage all the time. But especially in things like a dynamis run, you'll notice maybe 4-5 people getting more currency then the rest of the group.