Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Job Interview
Job Interview
 Fenrir.Shakira
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Shakira
By Fenrir.Shakira 2009-07-22 19:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I just had to post this I saw it on cnn.com made me crack up cause I can see people in FFXI saying this at a job interview.

When have you demonstrated leadership skills?

"Well my best example would be in the world of online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that." - Rachel Croce
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-07-22 19:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

ROFL... seriously?

"I ran a event called dynamis, i had to micromanage 25 people under my command and when we all pulled together and won it was epic times, i'm sure this will help your company"

"OK... welp.... we will... call you?"
XD
 Carbuncle.Kyri
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-07-22 20:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

"i was trusted with massive ammounts of gil by many members of my group"
 Shiva.Dwyte
Server: Shiva
user: dwyte
By Shiva.Dwyte 2009-07-22 20:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

"It took lots of hard work, going and finding the right people, schedualing when we did our events. And figuring out who got what"
 Odin.Karusan
Server: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-07-22 20:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd probably be surprised. If you could adequately outline the skills you use then you could quite easily use it as an example. It's just a matter of having the balls to use it as an example.

Games really do provide a lot of learning opportunities including leadership, problem solving and time management skills.

Slightly the reverse but it makes you think about it, if you were a bank manager and the person coming for an interview was a linkshell leader that was responsible for the LS bank and they stole it all and jumped servers, would you hire them if you knew that? Obviously it wouldn't come up in an interview but if you knew it would give you a good idea of the types of things the person is capable of and if it was me there's no way i'd hire them, even if it was just a game.
 Midgardsormr.Ladymist
Server: Midgardsormr
user: ladymist
By Midgardsormr.Ladymist 2009-07-23 02:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So..wait...

Now I can put FFXI on my resume?...lmao {sweets} LOL
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-07-23 02:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

A resume is all about making something simple sound good yet remains truthful. I see nothing wrong with this >.>
 Bismarck.Verace
Server: Bismarck
user: Verace
By Bismarck.Verace 2009-07-23 02:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

lol phail, I mean rly wtf? XD
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kyri
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-07-23 02:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

its abeen a 6yr non paying job for me =p
 Midgardsormr.Ladymist
By Midgardsormr.Ladymist 2009-07-23 02:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So when they ask for experience should I tell them oh about 69 levels worth? LMAO
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-23 03:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

We've all seen very well that not everyone can run a successful linkshell, in fact, very few people seem capable of running a very good linkshell. As Karu said, if you can bring this up in a way that makes sense to normal people, then you might not be in such a bad position. Also, if the guy interviewing you just happens to already have an understanding of WoW or FFXI, then they might just know what you're talking about anyway. It's a risky move, but if you're a good LS leader who hasn't had much in the way of work in your life, as so many people in this game haven't, then it's about all you've got.
Server: Remora
user: iLLogiX
By Remora.Hackstealandbot 2009-07-23 03:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

lol i used that in a job interview and got the job... "what do you know about teamwork?" "well, maybe its a bit nerdy but, i used to play counter-strike competitively, maybe youve heard of it". interviewer goes "well i guess im a nerd because i love that game" and i knew i had it in the bag from there lol
 Midgardsormr.Ladymist
By Midgardsormr.Ladymist 2009-07-23 03:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I am sooooo getting a raise. Im going to HR to tell them I forgot to put a BUNCH of qualifying skills on my resume. :D

*daydreaming*....wow if my boss played FFXI I would always get that promotion...lol

*pinky-whatcha wanna do today?*
*brain- RULE DA WORLD!!!*
 Seraph.Darkvision
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-07-23 03:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

well honestly i have use online gaming as a demonstration of working as part of a team, comunication skills, time management etc, as well as previous job experiences. that was for a promotion to team manager, i got the possition, sadly i left coz of office politics.
 Midgardsormr.Ladymist
By Midgardsormr.Ladymist 2009-07-23 03:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

ewwwww office politics BLOW... I totally understand that...*sitting in office, looking at computer...* lol

But no seriously...Im demanding a raise and or a promotion...lol
 Seraph.Darkvision
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-07-23 03:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

well office politic and HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE non achievable targets and un needed stress i left, and my ex boss now plays ffxi lmao
 Fairy.Maruraba
Server: Fairy
user: Maruraba
By Fairy.Maruraba 2009-07-23 03:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I work in Linguistics, working on getting my MATESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) and one of the classes I took basically taught us how to play Second Life. As it turns out, a lot of people are using CMC (Computer Mediated Communication) to teach people English, and MMOs seems to be one of the areas that both students and teachers are coming from when making these classes.

Depending on how things go in the future, I could very well be working at a virtual school getting paid real money for the skills I honed playing FFXI and other video games.