Game: FFXI
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-08-18 22:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Bismarck.Xzeikx said: »
Ramuh.Austar said: »
Kalila said: »
I downloaded this yesterday and I love the game. Just got to the linking tutorial so not very far in the game, but it greatly improved the combat for me. I'm looking forward to what's to come.

First Tales game for me also.
should definitely get graces f if you like xillia.
I dont even consider graces a tales game. Thats how terrible it is. Maybe not the story but that battle system is god awful

get out
I havent liked very many since symphonia to be honest. Abyss was ok but meh I just hated in graces how you had to block every 3 seconds
 Carbuncle.Nezea
Server: Carbuncle
user: Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2013-08-19 00:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If you think the combat in Tales of Graces was terrible, then you are just dead wrong. It is far more complex than in other Tales games and some people don't seem willing to learn or adapt to it. But once you put in the effort to actually understand it and to get better at it, it is objectively better in like every single way. I personally love that you have to really pay attention to what is going on and make split second decisions about precisely what you are doing (at least on the higher difficulty modes). You can't just button mash to win.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about blocking every 3 seconds. I can only guess that you are referring to when you run out of CC. I admit that the CC system in that game feels a bit limiting at first but it does loosen up quickly enough. That said, you do also have to play quite defensively in general but I'd say it's more about evading attacks than blocking them. Guarding doesn't get you that far since the enemies will just break through it if you guard too much. Again, this is a good thing because it encourages you to actually think about what you're doing instead of just allowing you to press square mindlessly to avoid damage.

To each their own, I suppose. But if you ask me, if Graces had anything at all going for it, it was without question its combat system.
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Server: Bismarck
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-08-19 00:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nezea said: »
If you think the combat in Tales of Graces was terrible, then you are just dead wrong. It is far more complex than in other Tales games and some people don't seem willing to learn or adapt to it. But once you put in the effort to actually understand it and to get better at it, it is objectively better in like every single way. I personally love that you have to really pay attention to what is going on and make split second decisions about precisely what you are doing (at least on the higher difficulty modes). You can't just button mash to win.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about blocking every 3 seconds. I can only guess that you are referring to when you run out of CC. I admit that the CC system in that game feels a bit limiting at first but it does loosen up quickly enough. That said, you do also have to play quite defensively in general but I'd say it's more about evading attacks than blocking them. Guarding doesn't get you that far since the enemies will just break through it if you guard too much. Again, this is a good thing because it encourages you to actually think about what you're doing instead of just allowing you to press square mindlessly to avoid damage.

To each their own, I suppose. But if you ask me, if Graces had anything at all going for it, it was without question its combat system.
I think i made it to the ruins lol Not very far and then i got xillia and just play that instead. It did get a bit better but not enough for me to care for it
 Carbuncle.Galmaximas
By Carbuncle.Galmaximas 2013-08-21 17:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok this is bugging me does Millia ever regain the ability to summon the four? If so when? gamefaqs sucks with their guides.
By Quiznor 2013-08-21 17:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Galmaximas said: »
Ok this is bugging me does Millia ever regain the ability to summon the four? If so when? gamefaqs sucks with their guides.
By Jetackuu 2013-08-21 17:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone know the best version of each tales* game for US.

I realize some were only released on certain mediums in the US but I wonder if the translations may be better than the other ports.

I've been interested in the series and I figure I'll start at the beginning.
 Carbuncle.Galmaximas
By Carbuncle.Galmaximas 2013-08-21 18:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »
Carbuncle.Galmaximas said: »

thanks good to know if anyone can remember exactly when that occurs feel free to fill me in.
By Blazed1979 2013-08-21 18:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

crap. I just went to buy a Nintendo Wii-U and the guy who has been selling me games since I was 7 years old told me I HAD to buy this game and I turned him down.

Worth buying? I'm not a fan of playing RPG's with female leads.... Its why I've fallen out of love with SE.
By Quiznor 2013-08-21 18:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
crap. I just went to buy a Nintendo Wii-U and the guy who has been selling me games since I was 7 years old told me I HAD to buy this game and I turned him down.

Worth buying? I'm not a fan of playing RPG's with female leads.... Its why I've fallen out of love with SE.

You have a choice of leads between a guy and a girl. The guy sees slightly more of the main story too.
By Blazed1979 2013-08-21 18:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »

You have a choice of leads between a guy and a girl. The guy sees slightly more of the main story too.

That is consistent with life. I approve. Will buy it tomorrow.
 Valefor.Isabeau
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Isabeau 2013-08-21 18:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

By Quiznor 2013-08-21 18:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Might wanna spoiler that Isa.

I remember the 2nd part of "where/how" it happens,I just cant remember if it's chapter 1,2,3,etc
 Asura.Delcius
Server: Asura
user: Delcius
By Asura.Delcius 2013-08-21 19:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

picked this up the other day. I'm in love with this game. Very Beautiful and stunning. <3 <3 and this is my first tales.
[+]
 Valefor.Isabeau
By Valefor.Isabeau 2013-08-22 10:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I did spoiler it, it just didn't work the first time I posted xD Fixed it within milliseconds though :p And it's chapter 4 ^^ I didn't think the first statement needed spoilering because #1, it's a tales game. Duh comes to mind and 2 it was spoken about openly anyway xD I apologize for ruining no one's game :3
[+]
By Quiznor 2013-08-22 10:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Isabeau said: »
I did spoiler it, it just didn't work the first time I posted xD Fixed it within milliseconds though :p And it's chapter 4 ^^ I didn't think the first statement needed spoilering because #1, it's a tales game. Duh comes to mind and 2 it was spoken about openly anyway xD I apologize for ruining no one's game :3

I was talking about the 2nd part :P when I clicked in here the spoiler tags were used wrong :p all is well now though!
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2013-08-22 14:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

I realize some were only released on certain mediums in the US but I wonder if the translations may be better than the other ports.

Most of the other ports never made it to North America, but here goes. In chronological order:

Tales of Phantasia - The only port we have here is on the GBA, and while this is a great game, the GBA version is kind of terrible. There is a fan translation you can download and emulate. I recommend doing that instead.

Tales of Destiny - The only NA port I am aware of is the one on the PS1.

Tales of Destiny II - Only on PS1. Note that what is known as "Tales of Destiny II" in NA is actually Tales of Eternia. This game has no actual relation to Tales of Destiny. The real Tales of Destiny II was a direct sequel that was only released in Japan.

Tales of Symphonia - The only version currently available is on the Game Cube, but there is a PS3 version being released next year (Tales of Symphonia Chronicles) which will also include the sequel to this game. I expect the PS3 version should be a lot better than its predecessor. Note that Tales of Symphonia is in fact a prequel to Tales of Phantasia.

Tales of Legendia - You can only find this on the PS2. I don't even classify this as a Tales game, personally. It was made by an entirely different studio and is very different from the rest of the series. It is kind of a terrible game in my opinion.

Tales of the Abyss - Originally on PS2 and later re-ported on the 3DS. There are not very many differences, and which one is "better" is largely dependent on preference. One thing that I personally love about the modern Tales series is that you can do multiplayer combat, but this feature is removed in the 3DS version. On the other hand, the load times are a bit better on the 3DS and they added a new certain kind of skill that you can use in battle.

Tales of Vesperia - Unfortunately, the only port we got in NA was on the XBOX360, but there was a PS3 version released in Japan which was much better; among other things, it featured an expanded story that accommodated new playable characters.

Tales of Graces f - PS3 onry. This is a newer version of "Tales of Graces," which was originally released on the Wii in Japan only. The PS3 version features a post-game story arc which was not included in the original.

Tales of Xillia - PS3 onry.

So basically, as far as NA ports go you only really have a choice for Tales of Phantasia (if you emulate it), Tales of Symphonia (if you wait until next year), and Tales of the Abyss. There are also a few other games in the series that were never released here at all.
[+]
By Quiznor 2013-08-22 14:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Tales of symphonia was released on wii as well in a bundle with the sequel

At least here in the EU it was
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2013-08-22 14:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Tales of symphonia was released on wii as well in a bundle with the sequel

At least here in the EU it was

Hmm, I know the sequel was released on the Wii in NA but I don't think the original was included as a bundle. I never actually played the sequel myself so I could be wrong.
By Quiznor 2013-08-22 14:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Jet has a modded wii anyways,he'll be fine.

Im almost 100% sure anyways it was a bundle...
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-08-22 15:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

not in america.
 Valefor.Isabeau
By Valefor.Isabeau 2013-08-23 12:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I only ever remember playing symphonia part 1 on the game cube and part 2 (dawn of a new world) on the wii. I tried looking for a wii copy of the first one and came up empty. In any case though, at least the new HD release is an actual bundle and on the ps3. The wii version of tales was kind of odd :/
By Jetackuu 2013-08-24 11:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nezea said: »
Jetackuu said: »

Most of the other ports never made it to North America, but here goes. In chronological order:

Tales of Phantasia - The only port we have here is on the GBA, and while this is a great game, the GBA version is kind of terrible. There is a fan translation you can download and emulate. I recommend doing that instead.

Tales of Destiny - The only NA port I am aware of is the one on the PS1.

Tales of Destiny II - Only on PS1. Note that what is known as "Tales of Destiny II" in NA is actually Tales of Eternia. This game has no actual relation to Tales of Destiny. The real Tales of Destiny II was a direct sequel that was only released in Japan.

Tales of Symphonia - The only version currently available is on the Game Cube, but there is a PS3 version being released next year (Tales of Symphonia Chronicles) which will also include the sequel to this game. I expect the PS3 version should be a lot better than its predecessor. Note that Tales of Symphonia is in fact a prequel to Tales of Phantasia.

Tales of Legendia - You can only find this on the PS2. I don't even classify this as a Tales game, personally. It was made by an entirely different studio and is very different from the rest of the series. It is kind of a terrible game in my opinion.

Tales of the Abyss - Originally on PS2 and later re-ported on the 3DS. There are not very many differences, and which one is "better" is largely dependent on preference. One thing that I personally love about the modern Tales series is that you can do multiplayer combat, but this feature is removed in the 3DS version. On the other hand, the load times are a bit better on the 3DS and they added a new certain kind of skill that you can use in battle.

Tales of Vesperia - Unfortunately, the only port we got in NA was on the XBOX360, but there was a PS3 version released in Japan which was much better; among other things, it featured an expanded story that accommodated new playable characters.

Tales of Graces f - PS3 onry. This is a newer version of "Tales of Graces," which was originally released on the Wii in Japan only. The PS3 version features a post-game story arc which was not included in the original.

Tales of Xillia - PS3 onry.

So basically, as far as NA ports go you only really have a choice for Tales of Phantasia (if you emulate it), Tales of Symphonia (if you wait until next year), and Tales of the Abyss. There are also a few other games in the series that were never released here at all.

thanks and I'm no stranger to emulation, that's why I bought an nividia shield :D
By applecrunch 2013-08-24 11:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a general question for anyone that has beaten the game how long did it take ?
By Quiznor 2013-08-24 11:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

applecrunch said: »
Just a general question for anyone that has beaten the game how long did it take ?

I think I was around 40 hours when I finished it. Maybe 50. Was at a decent level 65+,maybe even close to 80. With alot but not all the side stuff done or mostly done
By applecrunch 2013-08-24 11:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

That isn't too bad. I might pick it up around Christmas when it is too cold to go outside.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2013-08-27 23:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I have been playing this for about a week now, and I have to say, I am enjoying it a lot. I'm about 32 or so hours in, low to mid 40's for my levels and about half way through the 2nd chapter according to an FAQ, just finished the coliseum story part in Xian Du. There's just a couple things I'd like to say about this game.

First off, the battle system. Being a big Tales fan, and having loved Graces F and its battle system, I felt that Xillia's battle wasn't as good as Graces, but after playing for a while, I actually like it a lot. Maybe not as much as Graces, but it is still fun, and they seemed to put a lot of work into it, with the linking and skills and such.

The Lilium orb. Love this thing! This is the reason why I have clocked up so many hours already, from trying to upgrade this more and more. I currently have everyone on their second orb and have some of it unlocked already. The one thing I wish they would have explained, or maybe they did and I ignored it was the skills. I assumed the skills like str +5%, or water damage -30%, or any of the others were automatically applied once you got them. I was over 17 hours into the game before I realized you had to use the SP to equip those skills. I was wondering what the heck the SP orbs were for, and wondering why the battles seemed to take way too long. I felt like an idiot after I realized the skills tab on the menu lol.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that it seems like nothing gives good exp or gald. It doesn't make sense that battles are taking like 45-60 seconds on the highest difficulty, and I'm only getting 30 exp? Seriously? The first time I got to Nia Khera, I went into the Xagut Floodmeadow, turned the difficulty on easy, and fought there for a while because the enemies there gave/still give good exp compared to what I am supposed to be fighting. Even though they were tough and could and did kill me a good bit of the time, it was still better than fighting the normal enemies I should be fighting.

Even now, I find myself going to the Old Vicalle Mine and fighting the gentallmen enemies, which give a ton of exp, way ahead of what I would be fighting now. And I don't have any trouble with them, or other enemies in there on normal difficulty. I still never have enough money for armor and weapons though...

Another thing I'd like to point out. While going to the Old Vicalle mine just a bit ago, I saw some weird enemy on the same screen the mine is. It was like a grey block or something spinning in the air. Kind of looked like a mattress, or maybe a block of tofu? I'm not sure what it was, but when I got near it, it started running away and sweating. And when i got close to it to try and fight it, it disappeared. Any idea what this was? lol

Overall I love the game so far and don't want to put it down. I really like all the main characters, although I feel like there is a lack of comedy compared to other games. It's there, just not as much, or as funny. I also like the shop leveling thing, kinda like in Graces. I have my armor and weapon shop at 54 right now, and the other ones are 30+ i think. I fight so much and run around grabbing the search points, I have a ton of stuff all the time to trade in lol.