Any Point Trying To Play This Job As A DD?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Any point trying to play this job as a DD?
Any point trying to play this job as a DD?
 Asura.Ryndo
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Zarrox
By Asura.Ryndo 2013-07-13 09:39:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty simple...

When i first heard there was a job that mained (And i mean AF And mythic) a Great Sword, i was super excited (It's my favourite weapon in XI, it's really not been given enough love until recently.)

But unfortunately, RUN so far (At 75 atm..) is a bit of a letdown.

I already have DRK @ 99 w/ almost capped GS skill and bereaver.. which is why i thought it'd be a good idea to lvl RUN for a bit of a difference in options.

With the multihit armor it has, it's decent for multihit builds (which i guess if soloing is decent for /DNC?), but it doesn't have enough STR build to really pull off a decent damaged Resolution (Which, lets face it, is the main GS WS..)

Also the Job abilities.. although it is supposed to be an evasion/mag. tank.. so i understand but they are a bit meh on the DD side, i have no doubt with the right mab+ gear lunge is powerful as hell.. or so i have heard.

I have kinda answered it but...

Is it possible to make RUN a decent DD or just give up and carry on with DRK?

Or can i make it a decent DD and what would be the best sub?

I know im asking a lot but can i have helpful answers please? haha..
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2013-07-13 09:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Your never going to be a heavy DD like war/mnk/sam/drk as a RUN. Lack of native Ja's and traits that increase attack is a pretty big roadblock. I am sure you can do decent if you have good gear, but as-is there should be no way you are going to do what you can do on your drk.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-13 10:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

In a superbuffed situation it wouldn't be that bad, but obviously it's gonna be a lot behind the real dds(and you'd need a senbaak too). Sam is the best sub for dding purposes because hasso is just huge.

But if you mean just for easy tasks like reives and plasm farm it's good enough.
 Asura.Ryndo
By Asura.Ryndo 2013-07-13 11:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I meant as a DD main but I thank you for the info. I guess ill just have to be happy being a support/average DD on it. :(
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2013-07-13 11:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

At the moment run is a far better subjob than it is a mainjob, relic will give it a boost hopefully.
 Asura.Ryndo
By Asura.Ryndo 2013-07-13 12:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I get the feel that relic too will disappoint
 Siren.Taruina
Server: Siren
user: zerich
By Siren.Taruina 2013-07-13 12:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ryndo said: »

It's getting a Mythic, not a Relic or Empy.
 Carbuncle.Chibiclone
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Chibiclone 2013-07-13 12:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

They meant armor
 Siren.Knivesz
Server: Siren
By Siren.Knivesz 2013-07-13 12:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Taruina said: »
Asura.Ryndo said: »

It's getting a Mythic, not a Relic or Empy.

Think they mean relic as in gear not weapon. At least that's what I thought when I read it. They have no timetable for even fixing current R/M/E so I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting on their mythic. That is of course assuming they even bother adding mythics for the two new jobs.
 Asura.Ryndo
By Asura.Ryndo 2013-07-14 05:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I did mean the armor.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2013-07-14 07:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

No one needed to face anything about Resolution being the best GS WS....just thought I'd comment on that, might be stupid but ***, this thread is pretty stupid anyway.

If you wanna be a DD, go play MNK or SAM, silly playing a DD on a reject job. Guess theres DRK if you really wanna swing around a greatsword.
By Heimdel 2013-07-14 08:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I really find run does better with hand sword and /war or /rdm. You can try get a flame shield for other hand and some slightly decent stats on it.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2013-07-14 16:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
this thread is pretty stupid anyway.

Then don't post.
[+]
 Asura.Kohanu
user: Kohanu
By Asura.Kohanu 2013-07-14 16:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Aelius your avatar makes me smile.
By Lyncath 2013-07-14 18:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The job is capable as a tank for sure but still has issues.

5/5 Battuta is essential.
Swordplay with a solid evasion build also essential when Battuta is down and waiting on recast.

Surprisingly the job has little trouble holding hate but runs into problems when MP starts running low. Foil and Flash, two spells used to generate hate will chew through your MP since you will be spamming them thanks to Inspiration merits.

If you have a Red Mage to support you then you might be surprised at how well Rune Fencer can tank.

Do NOT even try to sacrifice everything to try compete with the Great Sword damage of a Dark Knight, you will not pull it off.
By Heimdel 2013-07-15 08:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lyncath said: »
The job is capable as a tank for sure but still has issues.

5/5 Battuta is essential.
Swordplay with a solid evasion build also essential when Battuta is down and waiting on recast.

Surprisingly the job has little trouble holding hate but runs into problems when MP starts running low. Foil and Flash, two spells used to generate hate will chew through your MP since you will be spamming them thanks to Inspiration merits.

If you have a Red Mage to support you then you might be surprised at how well Rune Fencer can tank.

Do NOT even try to sacrifice everything to try compete with the Great Sword damage of a Dark Knight, you will not pull it off.

With hand sword instead you get the ws that refills you hp a decent % so helps you save on mp. Flame shield seems only decent choice for run though and skill would have come from sub.
By itchi508 2013-07-15 08:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Run does not have the ability to reach the peak attacks like drk war, on top of that Resolution gives a -8% attack penalty. Its not meant to be a heavy DD. Don't bother trying to put up numbers like drk war sam.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-15 09:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

lt is actually a -15% penalty but when you are super buffed and the target is properly debuffed attack penalties are pretty whatever.

JPs on our server seem to shout for / use RUN interchangeably with to preferentially over DRK. I am not 100 % clear on what they are using it for outside of Requiescat in Foret but RUN's buffed damage output is much better than people like to pretend it is and RUN has better survivability and bonus party support.
[+]
By itchi508 2013-07-15 09:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
lt is actually a -15% penalty but when you are super buffed and the target is properly debuffed attack penalties are pretty whatever.

JPs on our server seem to shout for / use RUN interchangeably with to preferentially over DRK. I am not 100 % clear on what they are using it for outside of Requiescat in Foret but RUN's buffed damage output is much better than people like to pretend it is and RUN has better survivability and bonus party support.
I thought it was 15% but looked up real quick to verify and says -8%! Either way the job has great survivability and decent dmg output. But I belive most are or where trying to compare it & turn it into a thaumas drk & put up epeen numbers. Currently May have limited uses for the job but like you said is good in partys for some fractures for survivability & party buffs
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-15 09:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Use BGWIKI not Wikia for anything post-Abyssea or particularly mathematical in nature!