users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Valoredge attachment set-up advice
Valoredge attachment set-up advice
 Bahamut.Mizucallow
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Mizucallow 2013-06-14 18:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I just started playing PUP 3 weeks ago I have a pretty decent set-up going for Soulsoother and the other mage heads. Over my 3-4 months I've seen Valoredge tanking NMs in Abyssea so I started working on capping that out I'm stalled at 300 I followed all the advice from the other topic but no skill ups at all even with the percolator. That is a separate problem my reall problem is how can I get my puppet to do real damage against high lvl mobs? I'm currently ws for 400-ish with Cannibal Blade I have what I believe to be all the fire attachments and most of the earth with some water and the good light ones. My current set up is Inhibitor, Tension Spring 2, Strobe, Barrier module, Steam Jacket, Disruptor, Shock absorber, Heatsink (no I don't have Condensor), Auto-repair kit 2, Eraser, Percolator, and Armor plate 2. What attachments can I use to crank up the damage?
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-06-14 18:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mizucallow said: »
I just started playing PUP 3 weeks ago I have a pretty decent set-up going for Soulsoother and the other mage heads. Over my 3-4 months I've seen Valoredge tanking NMs in Abyssea so I started working on capping that out I'm stalled at 300 I followed all the advice from the other topic but no skill ups at all even with the percolator. That is a separate problem my reall problem is how can I get my puppet to do real damage against high lvl mobs? I'm currently ws for 400-ish with Cannibal Blade I have what I believe to be all the fire attachments and most of the earth with some water and the good light ones. My current set up is Inhibitor, Tension Spring 2, Strobe, Barrier module, Steam Jacket, Disruptor, Shock absorber, Heatsink (no I don't have Condensor), Auto-repair kit 2, Eraser, Percolator, and Armor plate 2. What attachments can I use to crank up the damage?

Your problem here is you're trying to boost a ws that literally cannot be boosted. Cannibal blade works in a very special way as explained on the wiki-page for it. It is nearly impossible to push it past that ~500 dmg marker unless wasting time attempting to combine it with Flame Holder.

The biggest things I'm seeing you miss in terms of damage attachments, however are Attuner(which will fluctuate in usefulness depending on the level of the mob you're fighting) and Coiler.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-06-14 19:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

String Clipper is the VE frame's highest damage WS, especially in Abyssea as it can critical hit. Need 325 skill though so my advice would be to finish leveling up its melee skill.
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-06-14 19:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
String Shredder is the VE frame's highest damage WS, especially in Abyssea as it can critical hit. Need 325 skill though so my advice would be to finish leveling up its melee skill.
Fixed that for ya. :P

This is correct. Until you get String Shredder though, Bone Crusher will easily put out more damage than Cannibal Blade. As well as adding a nice stun effect.
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizucallow
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Mizucallow 2013-06-14 19:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I really did like the attuner that works very well but I haven't gotten the coiler to proc ever so I took it off. Also I knew about Cannibal Blade coming from skill only but I saw in a vid that a guy did a 3k CB against an Ironclad in Abyssea. What is the Strongest WS outside/inside Abyssea for Valoredge? Also how can I get Colier to proc more or at all?
 Cerberus.Diabolique
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2013-06-14 19:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Galvanizer and Reactive shield are both pretty nice for Valoredge soloing. You shouldn't need Strobe for just about anything, and may not actually need disruptor depending on the mob.
Are you at 300 with just natural skill? Merits and Empyrean pants will get you really close to having string shredder. 4 skill away I think, sort of haven't really played the game in awhile. Pretty huge difference in damage between string clipper and any other VE WS.
Edit: oh it was Shredder and not clipper...

Coiler double attack rate is increased by number of thunder maneuver's I think, or should be I guess. I never really use more than one of them for anything, so haven't noticed a huge DA rate either.
Maybe that 3k Cannibal blade was against the ironclad in altepa? He takes increased damage from various types depending on last TP move used.
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-06-14 19:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Coiler, just like every attachment, will become more effective the more of the corresponding maneuver you put up. So putting up more Thunder Maneuvers will increase the double attack % as long as the maneuver is up.

Whether you're seeing it or not, it is producing results and it's hard to pass up the power of double attack. Never base assumptions on eye-balled results.

String Shredder is the best ws for VE both inside and outside Abyssea. Cannibal Blade/Bone Crusher are only used for minimal utility. I'm not sure how he would have pulled off a 3k Cannibal blade and I'd love to see this video, the only thing I could imagine happening is somehow finding a mod for the ws that we didn't know about before. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like MAB, which would be pointless to stack on with Atmas over other options such as the crits from RR or the Str/DA/TA/HP/Regen from other atmas.

Edit: Nevermind, I actually know exactly why he did 3k now that I look at your post again. It was more than likely the Ironclad in Altepa which takes like 4x damage from certain types of damage after using TP moves. He likely was weak to slashing at the time of the WS.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-06-14 19:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It could have been the Ironclad that gets weak to a certain damage type after TP moves (Smiter, I think?).

Anyway, String Clipper sounds more pleasant. Shredding sounds... messy.
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-06-14 19:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
It could have been the Ironclad that gets weak to a certain damage type after TP moves (Smiter, I think?).

Anyway, String Clipper sounds more pleasant. Shredding sounds... messy.
Damn you for beating me to my edit!

A messy name for a messy ws. :P I've seen some blood after Shredder, man.
By bluedeathva 2013-06-14 21:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1_8EdYFLQw here's the video I was talking about I was wrong it wasn't Cannibal blade. His CB was capping out at 517 like everyone said
 Carbuncle.Sanders
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2013-06-14 21:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Most attachments have reported potencies based on the number of maneuvers up. Wikia has a decent compendium including details about the coiler which for instance has a measly 3% DA with zero maneuvers but a decent 10% with a single thunder.