Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » armour shatterer
armour shatterer
 Asura.Slugman
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Sluggo
By Asura.Slugman 2013-05-29 02:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I use heat capacitor occasionally, almost always use barrage turbine but I am careful to put a wind manu. back up. I find heat capacitor convenient in that it cleans out the fire manu. though that's also its downside if using other fire attachments. As an aside, I find that heatsink has always been adequate in preventing and overload along with gear if necessary, without the use of a condenser.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-29 03:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Should really just forgo Barrage Turbine - any extra damage the Automaton gets you're losing due to JA delay to reapply the lost maneuvers
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-29 07:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Should really just forgo Barrage Turbine - any extra damage the Automaton gets you're losing due to JA delay to reapply the lost maneuvers

I would tend to disagree. Delve provides for fast enough kills that you can reapply maneuvers on your way to the next mob. And a well timed maneuver can mean a decent amount of extra damage. If you aren't able to find the extra second when you aren't attacking to be applying maneuvers, then the puppet isn't be utilized the way it could and should be. The whole idea behind being a Puppetmaster is to get the most you possibly can out of the puppet.

I'm not trying to criticize or anything either so don't take it the wrong way, just saying that there are ways to make good use of offensive maneuvers like the ones mentioned. I've been playing PUP since the day it came out, almost religiously, I may not have the best gear or the time to put in to get a mythic but I do know how to play this job pretty damn well. I just don't see where you would have trouble using the proper maneuvers to make your puppet better.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-29 08:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much comes from the model of use maneuvers lose masters dps way of thinking. The impact on a long fight is a given but moving from mob to mob in delve normally have time to pop a maneuver or 2 between pops. Gonna test out how well the inhibitor works on my next diremite farming runs should be interesting...
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-05-29 08:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »
Sylph.Jkun said: »
Welp, it's official. Alternator is the new Ragnarok bandwagon.

Last time I was on I did a /sea all pup and there was over 200. I cried knowing full well it was only that much because of Alternator.

I remember back at 75 I would be one of like 20 people that would regularly be on pup..... I even got my dyna ls to let me go on pup once lol. I do like it how more people are now actually playing the job.
By Presidentmerman 2013-05-29 09:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I think most people who have known me knew I've always played PUP but yes there is a huge PUP boom now.... Blithe Mantle does make me die a little inside when I see a PUP use it.
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-29 09:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Presidentmerman said: »
I think most people who have known me knew I've always played PUP but yes there is a huge PUP boom now.... Blithe Mantle does make me die a little inside when I see a PUP use it.

Saw that like 3 times yesterday, felt the same way...died just a little. Alternator + Brawney + Blithe with a mix of Thaumas/Ocelomeh and 0 Empy gear or AF.
By Presidentmerman 2013-05-29 09:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Worst I saw Is a PUP tp in Thurandaut hat....
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-05-29 14:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

From what i've noticed, using a capacitor and turbine, They are used infrequently enough that I can split them up and alternate (u c what i did thar?) between them in time for the next maneuver.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-29 14:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jimmothy said: »

I would tend to disagree. Delve provides for fast enough kills that you can reapply maneuvers on your way to the next mob. And a well timed maneuver can mean a decent amount of extra damage. If you aren't able to find the extra second when you aren't attacking to be applying maneuvers, then the puppet isn't be utilized the way it could and should be. The whole idea behind being a Puppetmaster is to get the most you possibly can out of the puppet.

I'm not trying to criticize or anything either so don't take it the wrong way, just saying that there are ways to make good use of offensive maneuvers like the ones mentioned. I've been playing PUP since the day it came out, almost religiously, I may not have the best gear or the time to put in to get a mythic but I do know how to play this job pretty damn well. I just don't see where you would have trouble using the proper maneuvers to make your puppet better.

In Delve you can apply between mobs - but if the puppet uses Barrage Turbine at the start of a fight it's weakened for the rest of the fight

Drum Magazine + Turbo Charger have such a strong effect on Auto DPS that dropping your active Wind Maneuvers to pop a barrage is really just hurting the Automaton. I generally chain Wind Maneuvers in Delve farms (now that we know exactly how Heatsink works it's much easier because you can just pop a Water Maneuver to cool the automaton down if you think it's in danger of overloading)
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-05-29 17:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds good, I haven't delved on pup yet as my mnk is better geared and generally desired more (I love playing both jobs so I don't make a stink about not going pup). I think for anything for SoA, or at least delve, drum mag TC and scope would probably be more prudent then swapping one for barrage.

Also I think a lot of people forget about cooldown. You can use it instead of wasting a maneuver on water. If I was afraid of overloading I would rather use cooldown or a condenser - that way it would wipe the water maneuver out instead of just keeping the water with the heatsink.

I also don't think people are utilizing the gear options to lower the burden on maneuvers. Maybe I'm just not utilizing manuevers enough, but I don't think I've overloaded since the 75 days which have greatly dampened my desire for a mythic; granted it's probably still going to be my bonanza pick.

And to op, pick up some burattinaios and just let your auto go to town in SoA area or even one of the harder GoV zones (maze only takes you to about 397ish, but somewhere like Wadi should cap you).

Another thought, has anyone thought about trying valoredge head with harlequin body for delve? The lower melee delay might be an option since the mobs die so fast. The only thing I would worry about is the casting, as that combo seriously kills SC delay.

I would wonder about the reverse as well, though I think the melee delay sticks with the frame and not the head, in which case it would probably be better just to use valoredge at that point (besides sharpshot).

As far as having your auto solo, I'm wondering how well valor head and sharpshot frame would do for some of the mobs. It might be a special case for some mobs, though so far, shooter has been able to solo despot, faust, mantis in SoA, chariots in lolaby (haven't tried the one in grauberg that cheats, but it's plausible with a schurzen, so I might try that), steam cleaner, zip, more than half a t1 ein (the adds were too much), and ulli. I can't think off the top of my head which that paticular combo would make a difference between a W and an L though.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-05-29 17:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Presidentmerman said: »
Worst I saw Is a PUP tp in Thurandaut hat....

But we have hand-to-hand weapons in BOTH hands! So obviously Dual Wield would increase attack speed!
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2013-05-29 17:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I TP'd in Thura once, Because I realized my accuracy sucked and I had to pull together a Makeshift Acc build and it was all i had :D

Once.

Edit: This was around 'bout when Delve first came out
 Cerberus.Cruxus
Server: Cerberus
user: Cruxus
By Cerberus.Cruxus 2013-05-29 18:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

(haven't tried the one in grauberg that cheats, but it's plausible with a schurzen, so I might try that)

I was messing around in grauberg and was doing ironclad with my VE which is a joke tbh...lol. And decided to play around with the charriot that discoids that hits like a truck. All in all it wasn't hard, I just rode the Deus timer and had regen atmas on with RR and i was able to take it out within 20 min. Prob could be done faster if you actually work out a better set of atmas and pet gear than I had but again...I was messing around.
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-05-29 18:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Cruxus said: »
(haven't tried the one in grauberg that cheats, but it's plausible with a schurzen, so I might try that)

I was messing around in grauberg and was doing ironclad with my VE which is a joke tbh...lol. And decided to play around with the charriot that discoids that hits like a truck. All in all it wasn't hard, I just rode the Deus timer and had regen atmas on with RR and i was able to take it out within 20 min. Prob could be done faster if you actually work out a better set of atmas and pet gear than I had but again...I was messing around.

That's the one I'm talking about. I dont like to use ADa or Deus ex unless absolutely necessary or even DMs. I employ a pretty good repair set, utilize repair kits, armor plates, schuzen etc. as needed. Along with the use of cannibal blade.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-29 19:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of Barrage Turbine, does anyone know how the TP return works?

Last time I paid attention to it it didn't seem to be giving the TP return of multiiple hits, but definitely gives multiple skill ups.
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-05-29 19:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of Barrage Turbine, does anyone know how the TP return works?

Last time I paid attention to it it didn't seem to be giving the TP return of multiiple hits, but definitely gives multiple skill ups.

The tp return reflects the number of hits; however unlike rng, it does not grant you the same amount of tp per hit as a normal rng atk. so you get tp each hit, just not as much tp as a normal rng atk.

IE: normal rng atk gives 10tp
Barrage that lands 4 hits give 20tp instead of 40 (not sure of the exact number, just an example)
 Cerberus.Cruxus
user: Cruxus
By Cerberus.Cruxus 2013-05-29 20:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Slugman said: »

That's the one I'm talking about. I dont like to use ADa or Deus ex unless absolutely necessary or even DMs. I employ a pretty good repair set, utilize repair kits, armor plates, schuzen etc. as needed. Along with the use of cannibal blade.

Well the problem is unless you can really remove most of the dmg discoid does (ducal guard atma and gear alike) I don't see many options outside of riding Activate and Deus, cause VE was hovering round the 95% hp range and upon discoid...boom...dead. Again, my gear wasn't pet focused but I was wearing anwig with -10% dmg taken augment for pet...
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-05-29 21:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Slugman said: »

Well the problem is unless you can really remove most of the dmg discoid does (ducal guard atma and gear alike) I don't see many options outside of riding Activate and Deus, cause VE was hovering round the 95% hp range and upon discoid...boom...dead. Again, my gear wasn't pet focused but I was wearing anwig with -10% dmg taken augment for pet...

Right but schurzen active will keep your pup from dying from it (albeit with 1hp, you would immediately have to repair). Also maybe a steam jacket or analyzer could work too. Maybe someone knows, but schurzen with a analyzer could mitigate 40% of the dmg, and/or keep the pup from dying. Though I'm not sure on the dynamics of that, since a schurzen will wipe all earth manu. while analyzer requires them to be up to increase the amount of times the dmg is mitigated, so they may be antagonistic to each other.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-29 21:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Schurzen claims to mitigate physical damage and Discoid is Magical - does Schurzen even affect Discoid?
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-05-29 21:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Schurzen claims to mitigate physical damage and Discoid is Magical - does Schurzen even affect Discoid?

Well rules schurzen out (physical onry). Though maybe steam jacket+analyzer would still work?
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-05-29 21:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Thinking about it more, since the discoid that the *** chariot does is cummulative from the amount of dmg dealt to it since it last did discoid/2, VE frame, mana jammers, analyzer, steam jacket, shock absorber and any other defensive attachment could be employed. Benefit would be two-fold in that the dmg is reduced from discoid, and that the dmg dealt from the auto would also be reduced in turn reducing the dmg dealt from discoid. The downside to this is probably at least a 30min fight.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-29 21:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The first discoid should kill your automaton which will prevent Steam Jacket or Analyzer from working. It's fixed damage so Mana Jammer will not do anything.

tl;dr just ride Deus Ex Automata
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-05-29 21:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You can also turtle up with DG and 2xRegen atmas, so he uses Discoid before he's been damaged a whole bunch and your auto has a chance to survive. Less damage is better on that guy.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-29 21:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
You can also turtle up with DG and 2xRegen atmas, so he uses Discoid before he's been damaged a whole bunch and your auto has a chance to survive. Less damage is better on that guy.

Time is money.
 Asura.Slugman
By Asura.Slugman 2013-05-29 23:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The first discoid should kill your automaton which will prevent Steam Jacket or Analyzer from working. It's fixed damage so Mana Jammer will not do anything.

tl;dr just ride Deus Ex Automata

The dmg is not fixed. shell, mdb, stoneskin, etc will mitigate the dmg taken.

We really took this thread off the deep end. I don't have a cirque earring but when I decide to get it, Ill most likely just go mnk, proc blue then brew it.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-05-29 23:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It can still one-shot you with a brew if you're unprepared and unlucky. I learned that the hard way ,_,
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-29 23:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shell reduces it because it's -DT%
MDB does not reduce Discoid damage
 Siren.Vanian
Server: Siren
By Siren.Vanian 2013-05-30 06:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Can solo that chariot with VE and riding deus ex. Did it a few times to get my cirque earring, should be quicker now we have alternator
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-05-30 08:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
It can still one-shot you with a brew if you're unprepared and unlucky. I learned that the hard way ,_,
I had a friend pop a brew once and got hit with Tyrant Tusk before his HP could regen high enough. We laughed at him for a long time. Probably still would if he didn't quit.