Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Shijin Spiral: PUP edition
Shijin Spiral: PUP edition
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2013-05-27 14:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I noticed that there wasn't a thread for Shijin, and the MNK forum didn't provide too much either.

If you already have Stringing Pummel, should you gear toward that as opposed to Shijin? I hear alot of mixed opinions about which WS is better, but from what I can tell, outside of abbysea, pummel is still pulling forward. I don't know if I'm gearing wrong, which I problem am, but that seems to be the general consensus.

Right now I am working on some builds for both WSs, mostly Shijin at the moment, to see if it can outperform pummel.

ItemSet 302168

This is what I have so far. I am not sure what stat to focus more on. I was thinking ACC because it is a multi-hit and ACC seems to be a huge thing out in Adoulin.
 Sylph.Ningyotsukai
Server: Sylph
user: Chernabog
By Sylph.Ningyotsukai 2013-05-28 10:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said: »
If you already have Stringing Pummel, should you gear toward that as opposed to Shijin?

This. SP is the best WS for PUP. Only reason we even used Victory Smite before was because of the Aftermath effect on Verethragna (I'd laugh any time I saw a PUP with a WoE weapon). Now that we're done with that (finally) we can go back to good ol' Stringing Pummel, the best H2H WS in the game.
 Fenrir.Deno
Server: Fenrir
user: deno
By Fenrir.Deno 2013-05-28 10:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I think Stringing Pummel is better by a fair margin. Even using it for shits and giggles in my Shijin set it was doing better.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-28 10:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Been parsing both and pretty much the same for me in delve this sp blanks over SS just not panning out when parsed and if SP is beating SS when in SS gear your SS gear isn't right.
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2013-05-28 10:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe MNK is able to use Shijin Spiral more successfully than PUP can. Sticking to Pummel is better because the WS is able to tear mobs apart when geared correctly and when you get a critical hit with it.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-28 10:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Grimkitty said: »
I believe MNK is able to use Shijin Spiral more successfully than PUP can. Sticking to Pummel is better because the WS is able to tear mobs apart when geared correctly and when you get a critical hit with it.

No doubt just been parsing both and if your crit rate isn't high and on these mobs it's not parsing out at all for me. So I use which ever I can easily chain with and the damage is parsing pretty close to the same. Been testing on the VT diremites in the waterways seemed a a good group been testing for several days now collecting blood thread. It all depends on your gear which you can push dex or str to max which ws. I also have boost-dex on me and geo acc up maybe the edge I am seeing as well. The boost-dex should be seeing an increase in crit rate but not that much that matters tho in the parse between the skills have to remember to set to Boost-str but in adoulin I want all the accuracy I can get pretty much.
 Fenrir.Deno
By Fenrir.Deno 2013-05-28 10:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

My gear is fine, but i'll admit this is eyeballing. I don't know how to post sets and ***but I can tell you I had STR+53 DEX+79 VIT-5. My target was the mandragora in ceizak and I had no buffs. Both seemed to average 1.8-2k but stringing had spikes (some low ones too but less frequent). Take what you will from that.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-28 10:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Stringing Pummel is b far the best WS for pup in most settings. On a side note, if geared correctly, Shijin Spiral can also be rather devastating because of how well it chains with other ws's like Shoha and Resolution.

I did the Acc/DEX path on my Rigor Baghnakhs, most notably for MNK and Shijin, although once i got it to rank 10, i had my doubts and had considered going the STR path for Stringing Pummel.

I don't think you lose TP when switching Animators out, but i could be wrong. If it doesn't, i would swap in Deluxe Animator, or even Animator +1 if you have them for the DEX it gives to the master.

If you can find it, i would also suggest a Moepapa Medal, and if you do VW or have done Prov and have a Wanion Belt, use those in neck and waist slots. As for the backpiece, i would highly suggest a pantin cape if you can get one, Manibozho Brais for legs, and Thaumas Nails for feet if you have or can get them.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-28 10:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Deno said: »
My gear is fine, but i'll admit this is eyeballing. I don't know how to post sets and ***but I can tell you I had STR+53 DEX+79 VIT-5. My target was the mandragora in ceizak and I had no buffs. Both seemed to average 1.8-2k but stringing had spikes (some low ones too but less frequent). Take what you will from that.

Unless you go back and gather all the ws from the log eyeballing never works we tend to see the highs and never the lows it's the only decent thing a parser is truly good for is to measure us against ourselves since we can control most everything including a target range of mobs. Using the spreadsheet its pretty easy to place the 2 ws to be competitive my SS gear is better because of MNK but my SP gear isn't shabby at all by any means been parsing great in delve with the rng frame destroying ***but acc still can be an issue I find.
 Bismarck.Awezomeos
user: Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2013-05-28 10:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what i use for Delve together with Bream sushi.

ItemSet 302401
ItemSet 300882

Theres some upgrades possible, like Tocis for body, and you can swap out some acc pieces for att pieces if you do dyna or something that not requiers as much acc.I dont do Meebles or Salvage so im missing these upgrades as well. If you whant to mess around your self this is the link to the Spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B0A0wGYYRRdaZjdlNTdkNTEtMDMyYy00OTVmLWI4N2ItNDMwMDI1N2VkYWZk/edit
 Fenrir.Deno
By Fenrir.Deno 2013-05-28 10:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You do lose TP from switching animator i'm afraid :(

I'm sure your results are a lot more reliable since you've parsed etc Kenshy, was just throwing my opinion out there from what i'd seen.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-28 10:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Deno said: »
You do lose TP from switching animator i'm afraid :(

I'm sure your results are a lot more reliable since you've parsed etc Kenshy, was just throwing my opinion out there from what i'd seen.
Balls, i was afraid of that. Well, that said, there are a ton of DEX options for pup now, that comes with high accuracy and attack. The pieces of Manobozho gear to note primarily are the Beret, the Body, and the legs for WS

I was a little diasppointed that the set went STR/AGI/AGI for it's 3 paths, but that still gives Acc+10 on each piece for tp/ws, and att+15 as well. They also house some pretty serious dexterity attribute as well.
By Angeljcar 2013-05-28 11:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said: »
I noticed that there wasn't a thread for Shijin, and the MNK forum didn't provide too much either.

If you already have Stringing Pummel, should you gear toward that as opposed to Shijin? I hear alot of mixed opinions about which WS is better, but from what I can tell, outside of abbysea, pummel is still pulling forward. I don't know if I'm gearing wrong, which I problem am, but that seems to be the general consensus.

Right now I am working on some builds for both WSs, mostly Shijin at the moment, to see if it can outperform pummel.

ItemSet 302168

This is what I have so far. I am not sure what stat to focus more on. I was thinking ACC because it is a multi-hit and ACC seems to be a huge thing out in Adoulin.
That's because the best Shijin equipment (pretty much 100% if not, 100% of it) can be used for MNK and PUP.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-05-28 11:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shijin isn't bad for pup. They have a much higher dex base it seems than a lot of jobs. Also if you can get the plague to land it has uses. Pummel is definitely stronger but Shijin isn't a bad WS by any means.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-05-28 13:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Random non-useful anecdote: Doing pup in delve last night (whm frame, since I'd be dead three times over without it), my last parse had an average Shijin (out of 23) of 2498, and average Pummel (out of 30, excluding 2 Pummels that got like 1 hit in each) of 2495. Top two weaponskills for each were:

Shijin: 3601, 3374
Pummel: 3766, 3322

So, aside from the random freak highs, their top ends were pretty close to the same as well.

Both weapons had a few incidents of overkill, so actual balance is a bit skewed, but they're very close to each other in practice. On the spreadsheet, Shijin actually comes out a bit ahead for me (my gear set is fairly close to the one Awezomeos posted). In general, I just try for whichever will get me a skillchain.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-28 13:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Motenten said: »
Random non-useful anecdote: Doing pup in delve last night (whm frame, since I'd be dead three times over without it), my last parse had an average Shijin (out of 23) of 2498, and average Pummel (out of 30, excluding 2 Pummels that got like 1 hit in each) of 2495. Top two weaponskills for each were:

Shijin: 3601, 3374
Pummel: 3766, 3322

So, aside from the random freak highs, their top ends were pretty close to the same as well.

Both weapons had a few incidents of overkill, so actual balance is a bit skewed, but they're very close to each other in practice. On the spreadsheet, Shijin actually comes out a bit ahead for me (my gear set is fairly close to the one Awezomeos posted). In general, I just try for whichever will get me a skillchain.

Pretty much what I am seeing ouch on the having to use whm lol makes me laugh when the rng puppet is out dpsing peeps like whoa lol...
 Bismarck.Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2013-05-28 14:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Its a bit off Topic but it compliments the DPS side of a PUP, wich can be usefull.
Using WHM frame instead of RNG frame is a loss of 150-200 DPS min eyballing.
Attachemnets i use for Damage are coiler, dynamo, voltgun, Attuner, Tensionspring2, Heat capacitator (maybe inhibitor not sure if its good or not) Barrage turbine, Drummagazine, scope, Optic fibre, Heatsink, and something to fill a spot like Erase wich can come in handy.
Anyone got something to say to improve this?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-05-28 14:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Replace Scope with Turbo Charger.
 Bismarck.Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2013-05-28 15:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Propably a good Idea but i hate when Armor shatterer misses. I guess racc is capped on delve mobs even without Scope AND Drummagazine plus at least 1 Wind MAneuver up?
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-28 15:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Awezomeos said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Propably a good Idea but i hate when Armor shatterer misses. I guess racc is capped on delve mobs even without Scope AND Drummagazine plus at least 1 Wind MAneuver up?

Pretty much with rigors and alternator acc is capped on most things maybe not the insane bosses but fodder for sure it seems.