Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Stringing Pummel vs Victory Smite
Stringing Pummel vs Victory Smite
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2013-05-10 13:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

if SE follows through with using the h2h to unlock the empy WS, which WS do you think will pull ahead for PUP, SP or VS?
 Valefor.Lisamarie
Server: Valefor
user: Kej
By Valefor.Lisamarie 2013-05-10 13:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Stringing Pummel, still.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-10 13:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

You should unlock Victory Smite for Skillchain options but Pummel will outdo it for raw damage
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-05-10 17:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
You should unlock Victory Smite for Skillchain options but Pummel will outdo it for raw damage

Depending on Armor and Occasion , I had Victory Smite doing 6,5 K and Stringing Pummel doing only a 4,5 K

I would recommend getting VS !!!!
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-10 17:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Victory Smite is easier to gear for since it only has STR for a modifier, but Pummel should pull ahead with more static numbers and a higher hit count.

Also, i wouldn't trust anything Kuroganashi says, he did after all, ask in a VW party if Jishnu's Radiance was a magical WS.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-05-10 17:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »

Depending on Armor and Occasion , I had Victory Smite doing 6,5 K and Stringing Pummel doing only a 4,5 K

Most of us are out of Abyssea now, yo.
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2013-05-10 18:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just wondering, I'm in the process of building a KKK, was wondering if it'd be worth it to do the h2h as a side project to unlock VS to use with KKK
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-05-10 21:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »

Most of us are out of Abyssea now, yo.

Still does more dmg outside too fool......

Stringing Pummel does 3 K outside
Victory Smite does 3,5~4 K outside

Still nice dude.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-05-10 21:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Victory Smite is easier to gear for since it only has STR for a modifier, but Pummel should pull ahead with more static numbers and a higher hit count.

Also, i wouldn't trust anything Kuroganashi says, he did after all, ask in a VW party if Jishnu's Radiance was a magical WS.

LOL WHAT ? >.> he did ? XD
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-10 21:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

For Puppetmaster, Stringing Pummel *should* be your better ws, IF you gear it correctly. It does have a STR32/VIT32% modifier, where Smite is 60%.

I don't know what gimp ***you're wearing, but my pummels have always been much more consistently stronger than smite, where smite will spike higher occasionally. In drawn out fights, you want consistently high damage from pup, not random spikes.
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2013-05-10 21:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm, I've never really test, I pretty much stuck to VS once I get Vereth for the aftermath, perhaps I should do some testing.

Just figured with so few +str and vit pieces for pup, that VS may be better since it has a higher mod.
 Sylph.Knala
Server: Sylph
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2013-05-10 21:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Victory Smite:
60% str 10%/25%/45% chance to crit 4 hit FTP 2.25 81.45% chance of all hits landing yielding a total of 5.25 FTP (average 4.276 ftp)

Stringing Pummel
32% STR/32% Vit 15%/?/45% chance to crit 6 hit FTP 0.75 73.51% chance of all hits landing yielding a total of 5.75 FTP (average 4.227 FTP)

Main reason that Pummel is competative with VS despite lower mods is has 5% more chance to crit per hit and 2 additional chances to attain crit.

Since this is a question of the KKK on top of that pummel gets a 30% damage boost from wielding the fully upgraded mythic giving it a clear advantage over smite not to mention aftermath buffs.

P.S. correct me if im wrong in my thinking been a while 4xhits at 10% aka 1.1^4 = 1.46 or 46% chance of a crit hit occuring.
6xhits at 15% aka 1.15^6 = 2.31 or 131% chance of a crit hit occuring.
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2013-05-10 21:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Avengers said: »
I was just wondering, I'm in the process of building a KKK, was wondering if it'd be worth it to do the h2h as a side project to unlock VS to use with KKK
If you're making Kenkonken Victory Smite becomes even less useful since Stringing Pummel not only activates your aftermath but also gets a 15-30% damage buff from Kenkonken from the 90 version onward. Like Sylow said earlier, the only thing you should probably unlock Victory Smite for is the skillchain properties.
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2013-05-10 21:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Avengers said: »
If you're making Kenkonken Victory Smite becomes even less useful since Stringing Pummel not only activates your aftermath but also gets a 15-30% damage buff from Kenkonken from the 90 version onward. Like Sylow said earlier, the only thing you should probably unlock Victory Smite for is the skillchain properties.

I completely forgot about the buff KKK got to be honest lol
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-10 21:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a mention in another thread as well that Pummel had supposedly recieved an attack boost on ws as well, since there were factors unaccounted for that made pummel so comparitively strong.
 Cerberus.Demonsgate
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Demonsgate 2013-05-10 22:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

being able to use the new weapons what kind of numbers are your pummel doing I can see it destroying shijin on mnk
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-05-10 22:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a mention in another thread as well that Pummel had supposedly recieved an attack boost on ws as well, since there were factors unaccounted for that made pummel so comparitively strong.

Actually the issue was that the in-game results always seemed weaker than the predicted results, so people were considering the possibility of an attack penalty. However I believe testing disproved that, so we're left with some spurious oddball factor that hasn't been determined yet.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-10 22:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Motenten said: »

Actually the issue was that the in-game results always seemed weaker than the predicted results, so people were considering the possibility of an attack penalty. However I believe testing disproved that, so we're left with some spurious oddball factor that hasn't been determined yet.

There is no oddball factor - PUP just has traditionally had very strange gear options

This is largely no longer the case

They've really done wonders with Puppetmaster the past few updates
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-05-11 06:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it has kind of been rationalized out. It's just that PUP got ***for gear options and couldn't take advantage of the VIT mod while taking advantage of the STR mod. Now that H2H base damage has jumped and PUP has gotten much better gear options, Stringing Pummel should be the winner everywhere.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2013-05-11 07:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats an optimal Pummel set looking like these days? Im curious
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
By Heimdel 2013-06-19 16:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got a wivre gorget auged with +2% crit hit rate and it already has +5 acc. Would this be better for pummel or is sea gorget still better?? Also what neck is the ideal tp one (including the auged wivre as a option)?