[Dev] Matsui: To All Adventurers And Pioneers!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » [Dev] Matsui: To all adventurers and pioneers!
[Dev] Matsui: To all adventurers and pioneers!
 Sylph.Organic
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Organic
By Sylph.Organic 2013-03-22 14:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Im reading all of this, and all I am thinking is, "Man, get ready to be disappointed"

I completely forgot about any fishing update

I nearly forgot about the moogle island thing...then i remembered it the other day and quickly lost interest

The storage stuff from furniture is about six years late

Evolith? Who cares

If i could tell them what to do, id tell them to just keep working on all of the consequential content from the expansion, and worry about synergy / evolith stuff just before they turn off the servers

EDIT: I cant get all too excited about playing as a monster, as playing as a non-monster has lost a lot of luster itself...cant imagine that being much more fun
[+]
 Sylph.Organic
By Sylph.Organic 2013-03-22 14:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Do. NOT. Add. Evolith. Adjustments.

It is a terrible system. It is annoying to use. It is frustrating to camp for lame Evoliths. There is not a single enjoyable aspect aside from (potentially) the finished product.

I will be very upset if they implement that shitfest of an excuse for armor modification into a required method for making high-end gear.
The idea has potential, back when it was released it looked like it was going to be "augmenting" but with choice and I was quite excited for it. But the limits on the system was what killed it. You had certain slot types and requirements that basically let you do nothing useful even if you had a "Good" evolith. But most of all, it was what you could put slots on that was the issue. You couldn't put evoliths in anything decent. Again, I like the concept of customizing gear to make it better for situations or just better for it's specific purpose but I can't say I trust SE to do it right. The overhaul would have to be massive and basically scrap half the requirements and dumb ***. But if done right, it could be amazing.

Isnt this just the pattern for this game? A lot of it is like, "so close to being awesome...yet so far"

But maybe that was b/c of all the focus on bogus ways to balance, since evolith are soooooo OP'd anyways...so if they introduced some kinda materia like system, could be decent

They are, however, a slave to the random number generator
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2013-03-22 14:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Do. NOT. Add. Evolith. Adjustments. It is a terrible system. It is annoying to use. It is frustrating to camp for lame Evoliths. There is not a single enjoyable aspect aside from (potentially) the finished product. I will be very upset if they implement that shitfest of an excuse for armor modification into a required method for making high-end gear.
The idea has potential, back when it was released it looked like it was going to be "augmenting" but with choice and I was quite excited for it. But the limits on the system was what killed it. You had certain slot types and requirements that basically let you do nothing useful even if you had a "Good" evolith. But most of all, it was what you could put slots on that was the issue. You couldn't put evoliths in anything decent. Again, I like the concept of customizing gear to make it better for situations or just better for it's specific purpose but I can't say I trust SE to do it right. The overhaul would have to be massive and basically scrap half the requirements and dumb ***. But if done right, it could be amazing.

I don't play enough to really be considered elitist anymore, but I'd like to think I'm in the next tier of player down from the 18-hour-a-day full-timers. I hold down a full-time job while continuing to keep my main two jobs as up to snuff as can be expected.

Having to go back to camping individual NMs to get evoliths for marginal side-grades would be back-breaking for me. And the system was pretty lame in the first place.

I hear what you're saying, I just highly doubt SE could manage to not totally screw the pooch on making it a decent system.
[+]
 Sylph.Organic
By Sylph.Organic 2013-03-22 14:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I just would never bet that SE could implement it as cool as everyone thinks it SHOULD be...and thats the problem. If they are not gonna do it right, just dont do it at all
 Valefor.Blizz
Server: Valefor
user: Blizzit
By Valefor.Blizz 2013-03-22 14:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

from what i can remeber about fishing there doing a major overhaul on the system. they already reduced the fps or locked it to a certain amount. but from what i can remeber there going to possibly change catch times where if your lvl is well over the lvl cap of the fish it could autoreel in the fish. there was also a talk about new fatigue systems. and changes to the fatigue system for lvl of fish. probley to counter every ebishu fishermans favorite spots bye bye glacier. the information can be found in one of the past matsui/tanaka posts on the official site i think it was about 5 moths ago happy hunting
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-03-22 14:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Organic said: »
Im reading all of this, and all I am thinking is, "Man, get ready to be disappointed"

I nearly forgot about the moogle island thing...then i remembered it the other day and quickly lost interest

Evolith? Who cares

If i could tell them what to do, id tell them to just keep working on all of the consequential content from the expansion, and worry about synergy / evolith stuff just before they turn off the servers

EDIT: I cant get all too excited about playing as a monster, as playing as a non-monster has lost a lot of luster itself...cant imagine that being much more fun

just quit lol.
[+]
 Sylph.Organic
By Sylph.Organic 2013-03-22 15:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »

Evolith? Who cares

just quit lol.

It certainly has crossed my mind as of late.
 Odin.Tsuneo
Server: Odin
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2013-03-22 15:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd certainly be doing us a favor.
 Sylph.Organic
By Sylph.Organic 2013-03-22 15:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Tsuneo said: »
You'd certainly be doing us a favor.

really? But i don't even know you! and we aren't on the same server
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2013-03-22 15:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Do. NOT. Add. Evolith. Adjustments. It is a terrible system. It is annoying to use. It is frustrating to camp for lame Evoliths. There is not a single enjoyable aspect aside from (potentially) the finished product. I will be very upset if they implement that shitfest of an excuse for armor modification into a required method for making high-end gear.

I don't play enough to really be considered elitist anymore, but I'd like to think I'm in the next tier of player down from the 18-hour-a-day full-timers. I hold down a full-time job while continuing to keep my main two jobs as up to snuff as can be expected.

Having to go back to camping individual NMs to get evoliths for marginal side-grades would be back-breaking for me. And the system was pretty lame in the first place.

I hear what you're saying, I just highly doubt SE could manage to not totally screw the pooch on making it a decent system.

It was interesting that the Synergy system (as a timed mini-game of quality results versus durability) seemed to be the basis of the FFXIV crafting system (similar timed mini-games) and the Evolith system (etching acquired units into existing gear to add benefits specific to the Evolith) seemed to be the basis of the FFXIV Materia melding system (a system where acquired units are melded with scaling effects, but with the added risk of destroying the item.)

I would think that borrowing backwards from FFXIV's Materia system (i.e. using a similar system of consuming existing/valued gear to create predictable/specific Evoliths for use in Synergy, with practically all items being etch-able, then having a risk-reward scaling effect where there is a chance to destroy the end product if higher levels of a specific bonus is attempted) would result in player-defined value for an Evolith system. This would be without the randomness of Sky gear augments or FOV augments or having to hunt specific NMs for Evoliths (while other undesired Evolith NMs in the Hunt Registry are never touched.)

Or perhaps make the Hunt Registry system point-based, where points are then spent on Evoliths a player might like to use.

To me, that would make Evoliths more useful as an alternative/boost for end-game gear, but would require a lot more development time. It already sounds like the majority of SOA is going to be released "this summer" at this rate, though, so any meaningful change for Synergy will realistically be far further away. :/

[cryingCaitSith.jpg]
[+]
 Valefor.Esdain
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2013-03-22 15:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said: »
[cryingCaitSith.jpg]

So let me get this straight; no play as monster, no mog garden (guessing that is the private island system), many of the quests aren't translated so won't be part of the content, they're giving up on 'balancing' fights so all jobs are relevant, they're only going to release a few missions every 4~8 months so we won't see the end of SoA story for 2~ years, they still can't figure out their own coding for inventory access in rental moghouses, and the new level appropriate gear will be made with LV99s in mind so level 85 empy will be beaten by new AH gear?

I honestly didn't have my hopes up, but it's just so funny to see them pretty much admit they won't have much of anything that they've talked about for SoA ready at SoA launch. It's like FF14 launch all over again.

For those people that really had faith that they were going to drop an incredible and mostly complete expansion on time with all of the content that has been 'in development' for years now...

...but damn it, it's got a pink-haired NPC girl that we will be expected to relate to and enjoy getting to know over a two year period.

[+]
 Asura.Calinzt
Server: Asura
user: Calinz
By Asura.Calinzt 2013-03-22 15:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I only have 1 problem with Evolith:
Having to use specifically crafted blank equipment for it.

If it was possible to add slots to Morrigan's Robe +1 for example, it would be a great system. But engine limitations yadayada...
 Lakshmi.Spoiled
Server: Lakshmi
user: Spoiled
By Lakshmi.Spoiled 2013-03-22 15:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Fishing
The adjustments to the fishing system are planned to be implemented this summer or autumn. We are planning to conduct a test of the changes on the test server, and we hope that you'll participate at that time.
Im scared
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-03-22 15:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

03-22-2013 02:36 PM
[source]
Akihiko Matsui
Dev Team

To all adventurers and pioneers!

Hello,

Matsui here.

We are just a couple days away from the release of Seekers of Adoulin and the development team is putting on the finishing touches. (The main tasks being the testing and fixing of any bugs that were discovered by the dev or QA teams.)

However, there are a couple of things that I wanted to let you know ahead of time, so I broke free from the development tasks for a bit to write up this post.

First I would like to talk about missions and quests.

• Missions and Quests
    One of the biggest requests we have received for the past couple years was to add quests that have a deep story and allow you to feel more of the world and lore, so for Seekers of Adoulin the entire event staff has been using all their power to respond to these requests. (The amount of materials for the new continent's lore is seriously huge.)

Due to the fact that the translation work volume is extremely large, there are some quests that had to be pushed back from the upcoming version update; however, I believe that there is still quite a large volume of quests to be implemented.

Also, with the version updates to take place after launch, we will be adding quests and putting material on topics to go along with the main story missions as they are added, and we are striving to make it so everyone can directly feel the world being pioneered and all the changes that take place.

Next, I would like to discuss the level design in Seekers of Adoulin. Equipment, content, and jobs are not something that we can separate from this, so I would like to explain our thoughts on this by including them all.

• Level Design of Seekers of Adoulin
    For those players who have reached level 99, the main focus of growth is equipment. We envision a play cycle where players take on content with their current gear in order to collect equipment with better stats, and then take on more difficult content to procure even better equipment.

We are currently working to make it so there is a common gauge for equipment and content (let's call it content levels for the time being), and to create index data that will allow those who are implementing equipment and content to have a more objective understanding of the equipment stats and monster strength. Ultimately I would like to be able to release information indicating the content level to all of you adventurers. While this is still in a phase where work needs to be done, I'm getting the feeling that things are coming together bit by bit.

The parameters for monsters that await adventurers and pioneers have been decided by the above content levels and index data.

We've eased up on the AoE damage of monster's special attacks, and we've also eased up the status ailments from added effects so that they last for a maximum of 60 seconds. Also, we've made Amnesia and other difficult to cure status ailments have an even shorter effect duration.

In regards to the addition of two new jobs and the increasingly difficult job adjustments, I believe that making adjustments so that regardless of the enemy all jobs are able to deal the same damage or making adjustments so that regardless of the content all jobs can clear it using the same strategy are not fitting adjustments for a game with 22 jobs. Job adjustment is fundamentally content adjustment. For any content, if there are only enemies that are strong against magic, magic based jobs will no doubt take a hit. We will pay even more attention to whether the content that is implemented is open to all jobs and be more thorough in sharing information between the people who are implementing the content. We're aware that there are still some uneven aspects to strengths and weaknesses of certain jobs, but the job lead and those making content adjustments are aware that only modifying the job parameters will not accomplish this task, and will be continuing to make adjustments.

Once I start writing it often times gets quite long. If you are feeling tired while reading this, go ahead and take a break and come back later.

Moving on, I would like to talk about Seekers of Adoulin related content.

• Seekers of Adoulin Related Content
    In regards to battle content, we will first be implementing Reives and Skirmish.

• Reives
      Reives are essentially a means to pioneer. Battling with monsters who are in the way of pioneering and clearing out other natural obstructions to increase the colonization rate is a world-wide endeavor.
      By increasing the colonization rate it will be possible to gain various boons such as making it easier to progress through areas and making it easier to gather materials.

Also, as an individual reward, you will gain points known as Bayld, which you can then use to exchange them for equipment and other things.

• Skirmish
      Skirmish was shown the other day on YouTube Live and it is a type of end-game content. For the upcoming version update we have prepared two types of Skirmish. The difficulty is by no means low, and we've prepared fitting rewards, so if you have the confidence please try and take on the challenge.

We plan on expanding both of these contents as areas open up.

Also, we are working on developing content that a tier higher from Skirmish as well. This battle content is planned to expand with each version update.

• Mog Gardens
      During VanaFest we showed off all of the content we felt we were going to be able to introduce, and many of you were hoping to be able to experience it when the expansion launches, but we plan on releasing thee Mog Gardens content as Adoulin is colonized.

Content-wise there are a lot of aspects which require a lot of time for testing, but Fujito is working hard to deliver this content around summer time as planned. (Fujito plans on making a comment separately on this, so stay tuned.)

Finally, I would like to talk about some other content. While content listed below is not everything, I wanted to discuss some of the more noteworthy aspects.

• Play as a Monster
    While Play as a Monster was originally being developed on a separate time schedule from Seekers of Adoulin, due to the fact that adjustments will be made to follow player growth post-Seekers of Adoulin, the speed of work on this has slowed down for the moment.

We are overcoming the technical hurdles one by one and are continuing to work on adjustments to fit Adoulin, so we would like to show it off on the Test Server or with a live stream when the time is right.

• Storage
    We are working towards making it possible to use storage from all rental houses. While we are still performing testing, we are hoping to make it possible around the spring to summer time frame.

• Expansion of the range for party invites
    Similar for this, we expect it to be around the spring to summer time frame. At the same time we are planning to expand party invites and the /yell feature to the Chocobo Circuit.

• Fishing
    We expect fishing revamps to take place around the summer to fall time frame. We also plan on implementing this to the Test Server for you all to try out, and your cooperation would be most helpful.

• Synergy and Evolith
    This is somewhat off in the future, but I feel revamps to this are necessary and have value. Once we are at the stage where we can let you know the specific plan we will inform you.

Subscribe
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-03-22 15:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

No new spells for old jobs.
No new weapon skills
No new level cap
No new craft.

It really doesn't sound like an expansion but an add on. Could you imagine WoW doing an expansion release and no lvl cap, increase or things I mentioned above?

And don't worry no weapon will outshine a REM for the next six to twelve months.

We will get a new land for sidegrade gear for the next six to nine months. After what they will add a new endgame event like nysle isle gear or such.

Don't even expect your merit 2 Job abilities for 3-6 months.

Oh and where is cat sith?

But its ok to nerf every job in the meantime.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-03-22 15:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You conveniently left out the addition of 2 new jobs, new areas, and a new conquest-like system catered to casual gameplay. But right, if they had added the stupid cat avatar it all would have been complete!
[+]
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2013-03-22 15:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

What kind of retard wants a new level cap?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-03-22 15:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
You conveniently left out the addition of 2 new jobs, new areas, and a new conquest-like system catered to casual gameplay. But right, if they had added the stupid cat avatar it all would have been complete!

Yes, we will have two jobs, new areas, to explore. But people will go back to grinding gil fast enough in salvage or dynamics to make mythrics or relics.

As for the point system, people will get points but wont spend as the gear offered will be enhanced every update most likely so nothing worth while to buy early on.

But it will be fun!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-03-22 15:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

uh oh, set off all the alarms, SE hasn't raised the level cap beyond 99, added a new craft, or given SMN cait sith. 2 new jobs, 15 new zones, new quests and missions, several new events and systems and an overhaul of the combat system isn't nearly enough to constitute an expansion.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-03-22 15:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Brain said: »
level cap?

I don't want a level cap. But if this is a forgotten realm locked away for hundreds of years. Then why can't a dragoon learn a new weapon skill as its their home city? Or other jobs for that matter?

Why couldn't mages get a few new spells to play with that never made it to mainland. They don't have to be OMG powerful, just something for everyone.

Bst would love new pets I am sure. Pup new attachments.

I just pointing out as its a $30 dollar package vs a 9.99 one. We got so much through abby, and so little from WOTG.

I expect the worst, but hope for the best.

And sure they overhauled the battle system and are doing that. But guess what, for that you didn't need to pay for an expansion as those will take affect wherever you play.

And don't forget all the nerfs we had earlier this week. Twilight scythe. embrava, PD, and so many others.

WOTG added three zones plus many monsters in those zones and others. How often did you see people go play with the new mobs or visit the areas?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-03-22 15:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calinzt said: »
I only have 1 problem with Evolith:
Having to use specifically crafted blank equipment for it.

If it was possible to add slots to Morrigan's Robe +1 for example, it would be a great system. But engine limitations yadayada...

*** SE is so stupid.... they couldn't even make the 5 level 75 evolith weapons all the way. That's half the problem with XI.... they don't even finish half the stupid ***they start to put into effect. Brainstorm > develop > encorporate > release..... Not *** "have an errant though > stick haphazardly into an update > blame that for never finishing content of worth.
I can fight my pokemon, bet on racing chocobos, defend a garrison, gate breach a rook, plant a garden, farm an evolith, raise a traveling fellow, etc etc etc. Evolith falls under the "don't bother" category to me. It's never going to be stellar and they're just going to waste time on it. I can write a mile long list of ***that would actually matter to the playerbase (maybe I should make a serious OFC forum post this time) and actually require less work:

make cop rewards scale to 99
fix heka's hq set (lel)
fix tourbillion (hey it only took YEARS to fix requiem)
fix ws status added effects

to illustrate how bad of an idea it is for see to "fix" anything let me brainstorm for literally 10 seconds or less and come up with 3-4 ideas better than anything SE has come out with "FIXING" in the past year:

trade a level 75 mini-expansion body/head/leg to pick a new 99 piece that gets mods from a pool of "updated augs. all mini-exp now offer these as reward

dragoons get an innate 20% attack aura from wyvern but only when wyvern is alive/100% hp or some ***

*edit* I got a phone call at work and came back to my rant having lost steam. sorry :| this is all you get of it though
[+]
By Quiznor 2013-03-22 15:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Presidentobama said: »
Why couldn't mages get a few new spells to play with that never made it to mainland. They don't have to be OMG powerful, just something for everyone.

If the spell limit is as true as SE say it is,the last thing we need is more "temper" class spells clogging up the list
 Sylph.Organic
By Sylph.Organic 2013-03-22 15:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »

If the spell limit is as true as SE say it is,the last thing we need is more "temper" class spells clogging up the list

It kinda depends on what kinda spells RUN gets too...maybe they will get some enhancing magic that they will later give to other mages...or PLDs
By Quiznor 2013-03-22 15:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »

It kinda depends on what kinda spells RUN gets too...maybe they will get some enhancing magic that they will later give to other mages...or PLDs

They have those already. Its called the Curaga line and Cure V/VI. It turns PLD into a useful party spot
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-03-22 16:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
For monster special attacks, we have minimized the range of damaging area of effect of techniques as well as negative status effects (with a few exceptions) which will be kept to a maximum of about 60 seconds in duration. Additionally, some negative status effects for which recovery is difficult (i.e. Amnesia) will be of an even further shortened duration.

ADL Terror Nerf!? /knockonwood
[+]
 Valefor.Esdain
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2013-03-22 16:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Part of the joke about Cait Sith and Atomos is that it's been SO LONG since they mentioned adding them /and/ the battle data for their dats has been in the game for years. (Atomos' battle form and Cait Sith's battle forms show up in a mission at a certain point in WotG).

So they /have/ the dats for them. They just can't be bothered to actually implement them. It would be one thing if the dats were only set for cutscenes, but they have all their animations for using spells and TP moves. I know more goes into it and they just can't give a scroll for us to use to learn the spell, but still. Their lack of prioritizing things they talk about seems to get brushed under the rug every time they get a new idea they want to talk about. ...and none of any of it ever gets made into live content except for nerfs.

Anyhoo, I'm not really butt-hurt about it. I just can't fathom what their director is thinking.

Edit Despite being let down, and the fact that we'll be waiting months or even years for everything they mention to be developed and made playable content on the actual (not test) servers, I'll still happily buy it and enjoy it. It's great that they still are rolling out new content, even if it feels like they have a misguided out-of-touch-with-their-playerbase skeleton crew on the development end.
[+]
By Quiznor 2013-03-22 16:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure its a case of "people want this,lets save it for an update where we cant think of anything to do.that'll make them keep playing!"
[+]
 Sylph.Organic
By Sylph.Organic 2013-03-22 16:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Esdain said: »
Part of the joke about Cait Sith and Atomos is that it's been SO LONG since they mentioned adding them /and/ the battle data for their dats has been in the game for years. (Atomos' battle form and Cait Sith's battle forms show up in a mission at a certain point in WotG).

So they /have/ the dats for them. They just can't be bothered to actually implement them. It would be one thing if the dats were only set for cutscenes, but they have all their animations for using spells and TP moves. I know more goes into it and they just can't give a scroll for us to use to learn the spell, but still. Their lack of prioritizing things they talk about seems to get brushed under the rug every time they get a new idea they want to talk about. ...and none of any of it ever gets made into live content except for nerfs.

Anyhoo, I'm not really butt-hurt about it. I just can't fathom what their director is thinking.

Thats a good point..why in god's name is it still delayed? Unless...they are afraid...it will...disrupt...

BALANCE!
 Lakshmi.Bleu
Server: Lakshmi
user: Bleu
By Lakshmi.Bleu 2013-03-22 16:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Brain said: »
What kind of retard wants a new level cap?

Yup, never heard that one when the level cap was 75.