BLM Food?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLM food?
BLM food?
 Bismarck.Danz
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2013-02-27 18:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

ok. its been a wile since i used food on any mage job. its obveus that red curry buns are choice for any DD
and carbona is choice for anyone seeking more HP to tank with.

but theres always this lackluster list for BLMs
choices are glace for MP+ ~100 or
cream puffs for INT+7 (which doesn't even come close to those red curry buns)

did i miss something? did BLM get a red curry bun equivalent that i don't know about?

if not. i highly suggest SE add some decent mage food.
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-02-27 19:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't it sad?
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-02-27 19:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Black Pudding! just to piss off the DD's!

Group Food Effects
HP +8
MP +4% (Cap: 25@625 Base MP)
Intelligence +4
MP Recovered While Healing +1
[+]
 Cerberus.Beej
Server: Cerberus
user: Beej
By Cerberus.Beej 2013-02-27 19:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually use either cream puff (best INT food available atm) or crimson jelly (3 hrs.. INT+6, MP +12%(Cap: 85@708 Base MP) and hMP+2) depending on how long the stuff Im doing is. Mainly use jelly on Salvage or if I do Dynamis on blm with someone. One less INT but the MP boost is nice plus the 3 hr duration is nice for longer events.

But yeah, I really wish the would add a more powerful nuking food. The available options is kinda meh when compared to what DDs have.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Xenetex
Server: Ragnarok
user: Xenetex
By Ragnarok.Xenetex 2013-02-27 20:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Isn't it sad?
Magic as a viable source of damage is pretty sad tbh. Needs a buff.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-02-27 20:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Xenetex said: »
Isn't it sad?

I'm okay with this.
 Ragnarok.Xenetex
user: Xenetex
By Ragnarok.Xenetex 2013-02-27 20:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Xenetex said: »
Isn't it sad?

I'm okay with this.

It's true. BLM are supposed to be heavy artillery, the glass cannons. I see no reason why a BLM shouldnt be able to fill a DD slot. Apparently SE thinks otherwise. Magic damage just can't keep up.
[+]
 Cerberus.Beej
By Cerberus.Beej 2013-02-27 21:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Spike damage they can, but DoT in a long fight there is no chance. Two nukes and your on top of the hate list and a few hits your gone..
 Ragnarok.Klife
user: Klife
By Ragnarok.Klife 2013-02-27 21:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

i beg to differ. I have tried to do some damage in voidwatch instead of just trying to proc, just for fun (everyone knew about it). I was suprised how well i was able to keep up with the melee in damage on the parse. I dont beat drks and war, but i was very close behind and did beat the gungir drg and the other gimp dd! and i was tanking most of the time until i died (thanks to fanatic!) Tried it on kaggen, pil and qilin. Its only because we are too busy trying to proc or doing other stuff. But thats only in voidwatch, because of the infinite mp supply and fanatics. in other event i guess we are not as good.
 Cerberus.Beej
By Cerberus.Beej 2013-02-27 21:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm kind of hoping the expansion brings more focus back to skill chains and magic bursting like it was back in the day. That is where BLM really shines. Outside of doing stuff with a few friends who actually do skillchain with each other, the only time I get to MB is when I get lucky catching random SCs.. which is not too often
 Phoenix.Warusha
Server: Phoenix
user: Serithus
By Phoenix.Warusha 2013-02-28 01:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I would recommend using pear crepes for macc if that's an issue for you. Cream puffs for older content. You can give hp food or defense food a shot if your group is willing to let you deal some damage.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [830 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Jutubyaa
Server: Lakshmi
user: KiloWatt
By Lakshmi.Jutubyaa 2015-06-08 08:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Did a Google search for BLM food, and this thread came up. Has there been zero improvements to BLM food since the introduction of Creme Puffs?
[+]
 Cerberus.Rabies
user: Rabies666
By Cerberus.Rabies 2015-06-08 08:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cehuetzi Snow Cone
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-06-08 08:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy necro, Batman.

:D

That said, I personally favor Ceheutzi Snow Cones when I nuke. I'm not sure of the actual numbers, but I believe it grants MAB, MACC, and a small amount of MP.

Some mages use Fruit Parfaits, others use Tavnazian Tacos for defensive purposes.

I guess it's a personal preference thing.
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2015-06-08 08:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Queen's Crown

-Skjalf :3
 Asura.Bratgurl
Server: Asura
user: shantoto
By Asura.Bratgurl 2015-06-08 10:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Copied from ffxiah (this site.........)

So from this random set of data, it seems like it has roughly:
30 Mins
INT+5
MND+5
Macc+16??
MDMG+5
MAB+5
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [81 days between previous and next post]
By cowardlybabooon 2015-08-28 14:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I would guess that mp food might have a better overall effectiveness. It would increase myrkr mp recovery and allow you to wear your nuking body more often instead of putting on the relic body for mp recovery. One more nuke plus the benefits of the nuking body will outweigh any MAB or Int from food. Obviously in mega refresh situations it won't matter, but you really should receive different buffs than refresh whenever possible from Geo and Cor.
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-08-28 14:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

In high level content magic accuracy is going to obliterate the gains you get from the 90 mp that vermillion jelly offers. If you're saving 3k tp that's a total of 54 mp returned which will net you at best an aero iii. If you're going that route (which I wouldn't) my bet is you'd get more benefit from food with Store TP than you would get from 90 mp.
By cowardlybabooon 2015-08-28 16:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I guess my comment is fairly specific to my own setup. I have gobs of magic accuracy at my disposal (main set is 4/5 Helios with 20-macc/20-mab 10-INT 5-Fast Cast + Keraunos with 20 more and most other top gear, backup Macc set is 5/5 Hagondes +1 with +26-30-macc). I also use a Myrkr set similar to that listed in this Black Mage forum, so my 3000 TP Myrkr are generally overkill after my Myrkr set reverts back to nuke set. Lastly I have a gearswap that puts on Spaekona's Coat +1 below 60% MP (easily changed when uneccessary).

The point of all that is not to boast, but simply to explain that I put a lot of energy into MP management techniques, and I believe that there would be some merit to MP food considering it would eliminate some overkill on Myrkr, and allow me to wear my Helios body more often than Spaekona's Coat +1. Now if 90 MP really is the most one can get from food, then I probably stand corrected, but I have a feeling that something has been added that gives more since the days of vermillion jelly (which is why I requested a food effects table from the Devs in the official forums).
 Asura.Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-08-28 16:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm always curious about how people have mp issues in end game content which is mostly very short duration stuff (15 min or less). Are your geos not using radial arcana? Does the SCH not give you adloquium? Do you ignore manawell? No convert? Are you spamming nukes instead of focusing on magic burst volleys? I'm very much a fan of using the af body on trash mobs - it makes meriting a joke, but I don't understand how you need it during a real event and we don't waste any buffs on geo or cor refresh nor do we have a bard in the party. I guess if you're spamming nukes then you might run out of mp but frankly if you want to spam nukes you should go solo something. You're lowering the magic resistance of the NM for the magic burst volley and feeding extra TP to a NM which has more of an opportunity to be difficult while adding minimal damage to a fight compared to your magic burst output.
By cowardlybabooon 2015-08-28 16:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

For the record I agree with most of that. We all see things through our current set of game-goggles and I have been spending most of my time low manning (WHM BLM GEO SAM) things like Delve for gil, and doing Sinister Reign with various imperfect setups that often result in some free nuking or AoE rather than the perfect Magic Burst. For the most part Aga/Aja are going to be the biggest MP killers, and of course free nuking. Regarding the Radial Arcana and Adloquium though, I don't hold my breath for those given that I'm not constantly playing with the same players.

I would not expect to run out of MP in an event such as Escha unless the tank died and we're just trying to murder it. However, a lot of things may change with Death being MP based.
 Asura.Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-08-28 18:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I have encountered mp being an issue when sinister reign runs on too long. I was just wondering because most players whom I have seen post about blm on forums rely on the AF body a lot more than I do. That may also be because I dual box a geo and can control things like radial and geo-refresh during downtime.