Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » New Scholar, new player
New Scholar, new player
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-12 12:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You just survived your first terrible Presidentobama post. Welcome to the community!
[+]
 Bahamut.Sytev
Server: Bahamut
user: Sytev
By Bahamut.Sytev 2013-02-12 12:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I may be cabbage looking, but am not that green!
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-02-12 12:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair to obama, the besieged idea isn't bad. Would be decent gil if you have done one of the lure of the wild cat quests, and get you skill ups in the process.
 Bahamut.Sytev
By Bahamut.Sytev 2013-02-12 12:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I might take a look at the Goobbue spot he mentioned too, it has possibility (and actually netting a profit would be nice)
 Bahamut.Sytev
By Bahamut.Sytev 2013-02-13 11:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually have another question, if anyone is still reading this,

When a -Storm talks about "Changing the weather around the target party member", does it splash to other nearby players/targets, or is it just for the target, and phrased in a way that makes sense, but is misleading?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Sytev
By Bahamut.Sytev 2013-02-13 12:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand the point of the spell.

My query was with regards to the "around" part - is it *actually* around the player, or just *for* the player?
 Cerberus.Bikpik
user: Bikpik
By Cerberus.Bikpik 2013-02-13 12:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

For that player
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-13 12:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Single target only
 Bahamut.Sytev
By Bahamut.Sytev 2013-02-13 13:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks guys, I was suspected as much, but I couldn't find anything explicitly stating it.
 Bahamut.Sytev
By Bahamut.Sytev 2013-02-21 04:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, it's a week on, and I've got to 70, got my cash flow under control, and my gear to

I've also got the majority of my spells (screw you Phalanx).

Unfortunately, Schultz is now in the way.

I gave him 3 attempts last night, and it didn't end well.

I've been using Rolanberry Pies, and immediately LA/TR/Embrava on entry, then DA, Stratagems and Kaustra, then weaving Stratagems, Stone IV, Thunder III.

I tried prebuffing more, but did less damage, as he got more buffs off.

I know that this won't be an easy fight, but does anybody have any pointers?
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-02-21 05:08:09
Link | Quote | Reply

While i cant really help you with the fight itself (since i only did BLM years ago and on mule i did WHM) maybe some more equip will help you. I guess as SCH you nuke him to death, so gear that will enhance your magic dmg will help you.

One easy upgrate is moldavite earring its an NM Drop which is easy to farm. This earring will last you quite long as good nuking piece. As 2nd Earring Morrion or Phantom is good, depend how much you would want to spend :x

Another nice belt is penitent's rope cost 20k on bahamut it seems. If you have access to dynamis and maybe have a friend who can help you farm you could go for argute belt which is obviously better then penitent for now.

phantom tathlum is a good Ammo, or you can try to get your JSE Ammo millefleurs sachet (i cant remmeber what you need to do for it, was time consuming but not hard)

bugard leather strap +1 is a good grip for the level (the NQ sadly has no INT, but HQ dont cost much anyways)

Uggalepih pendant is a good nuking neck once your MP is below 50% of your max MP. Black Cape +1 is an INT back, but it could be hard to find these days.

marine M gloves(i guess you are Hume M) should be also better then Af1 hands for nuking (or are even bettervicious mufflers if you can find someone to help you get them, they are best nuking hands for some time until you can get better hands)

Edit: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Talk:Survival_of_the_Wisest some information is really old, but maybe you can find something usefull there is you read most of it.. if noone else steps in here and gives you better advices how to do the fight :x)
 Bahamut.Sytev
By Bahamut.Sytev 2013-02-21 05:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Im not convinced that pushing INT is the best way to do it.

In order to push him down in less time, I need to do 1/(current spells needed) damage per spell extra - and I don't think the total gain from that gear is going to be in the region of 25%. 2 I will certainly look at getting the ammo and the earrings, (I already have a grip, but couldn't remember which!).

The tactics on that page are a bit hit and miss - a lot has changed since then, the and most of the discussion is about 71+
 Ramuh.Scizor
Server: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2013-02-21 05:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Pick up some Desert boots, the +12% movement speed can be real handy
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-02-21 06:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

not sure how the fight works, but in the end INT is your only real way to boost the dmg you are doing if you use all other stuff SCH can do (Since there arent many Magic att bonus items availible at lv 70, beside 1 earring and the hands i think there dont really exist something else) Another point would be to upgrate your staff to the HQ version or burrow the HQ from a friend for the fight.

Are you useing Stratagems like crazy? Since it seems you 1hr at start you can use Mp-,casting- and dmg+ Stratagems on all spells. Have macros for all Stratagems is also a key. If You run short to die an enhanced Drain can also help you gain HP back and also kill some HP on the target. Its allways a "cheap nuke". You can use Blinkband and Stoneskin neck outside to save some buff time. Do you have weather on yourself to boost your main dmg spell? (not sure if worth it, but especially now with the Staff weather effect is nice to have)

Maybe explain exactly what you try to do so other can help you better. Like do you fight the book 1st, or only the Hume. How many buffs you cast on yourself. If you use items outside.

Do you have every spell and ability macroed and organized? Genkai fights are often about speed. So you need to be fast and cant be scrolling through spell- and ability lists.

More editing:
I guess whats good would be (Sry i dont know the stratagem names without searching for them):
Outside:
Use cream Puff, Blinkband (and maybe Stoneskin Torque if you can afford)
Enter
Inside: (Only fight hume, dont waste time)
1st) Light arts > MP- Stratagem> Tabula Rasa > Embrava <me>
Dark Arts > Addendum Black > MP-, Casting time -, DMG+ Stratagems (Can maybe make 1 macro for all or use good Spellcast files) > Kaustra
2nd) MP-, Casting time -, DMG+ Stratagems > Strongest Nuke
3rd) MP-, Casting time -, DMG+ Stratagems > 2nd Strongest Nuke
repeat if needed, or try finish with a Drain if only a few % left or run like a chicken and let Kaustra do the remaining %'s

The fight should be fast and you'll have 1hr whole fight up so be fast and use all stratagems if you haven't before.

Also are your skills capped with arts active?
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-02-21 11:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

To add on Mindi's strat, AoEing the first Kaustra might be helpful as it might make him waste MP trying to heal the book. With some int gear and decent dark magic skill, I'm relatively sure kaustra should do all the damage needed to both mobs unless the book is dark based.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-02-21 13:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are dying too fast, what Mindi said about the SS torque and Blink band, but also Tavnazian Tacos and Vile Elixir +1 or the NQ, and do have it on a macro.

If its running out of MPs, bring Yagudo Drinks or Vampire Juice, use before entry and have more on a macro. That VE +1 helps here a bunch too.

Also, what's your Elemental skill? It might need work.
 Bahamut.Sytev
By Bahamut.Sytev 2013-02-22 14:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the advice guys - the end result was dead on the record with a mere 76hp left!