Fast Cast Vs Grimorie?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Fast Cast vs Grimorie?
Fast Cast vs Grimorie?
 Cerberus.Smacksterr
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Smacksterr 2013-02-11 05:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm new to SCH not really sure how all this plays out.

Grimorie 10% on Argute Hat (with or without af feet added)
or
Nares Hat for 10% FC?
 Shiva.Arana
Server: Shiva
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2013-02-11 06:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Argute +2 is 10% cast 10% recast reduction.
Nares is 10% cast 5% recast reduction.

Go with Argute for precast.

Also RQT
 Cerberus.Smacksterr
By Cerberus.Smacksterr 2013-02-11 06:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you x2
By usagiboi 2013-02-11 07:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

In most cases yes argute +2 wins. It does not however stack with celerity and alacrity. as shown in this recast test
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2013-02-11 07:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arana said: »
Argute +2 is 10% cast 10% recast reduction.
Nares is 10% cast 5% recast reduction.

Go with Argute for precast.

Also RQT

Correct me if I'm wrong, for precast they're identical? The recast reduction only applies when the spell finishes so if you're not finishing casting in it then its irrelevant which you finish in? Or is this not the case with that piece? I know its how haste works but other than that /shrug.
By usagiboi 2013-02-11 08:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not 100% sure on this. I'd have to test, but I'm pretty sure the argute +2 enhancement is on a different multiplier than FC so it is a larger bonus than adding 10FC. for spells without celerity/alacrity.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-02-11 08:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

usagiboi said: »
I'm not 100% sure on this. I'd have to test, but I'm pretty sure the argute +2 enhancement is on a different multiplier than FC so it is a larger bonus than adding 10FC. for spells without celerity/alacrity.
You are correct that it is a different multiplier, however fastcast normally is better due to the ability to stack more of it. If we assume you are /rdm wearing 20% fast cast (easily able to get higher without counting head/feet slots which are the 2 that come into play from grim bonus). That means you are casting in 35% fast cast 10% grim(from arts).

If we look at the casting time reduction from adding a head with 10% fast cast vs a head with 10% grimorie:

Fast cast:
100*(1-.45)*(1-.10)=49.5

grimorie:
100*(1-.35)*(1-.20)=52

Thus for precast sets fast cast is normally preferable to grimorie bonus. This only applies to casting time. Grimories larger reduction to recast makes it the prefered start when looking at recast assuming you are not using alacrity/celerity.
[+]
By usagiboi 2013-02-11 08:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
You are correct that it is a different multiplier, however fastcast normally is better due to the ability to stack more of it. If we assume you are /rdm wearing 20% fast cast (easily able to get higher without counting head/feet slots which are the 2 that come into play from grim bonus). That means you are casting in 35% fast cast 10% grim(from arts).

If we look at the casting time reduction from adding a head with 10% fast cast vs a head with 10% grimorie:

Fast cast:
100*(1-.45)*(1-.10)=49.5

grimorie:
100*(1-.35)*(1-.20)=52

Thus for precast sets fast cast is normally preferable to grimorie bonus. This only applies to casting time. Grimories larger reduction to recast makes it the prefered start when looking at recast assuming you are not using alacrity/celerity.
Ah ok yeah. It's been awhile since I edited my sch sets(been too focused on drk). just remember having Argute+2 in my stun alacrity down set. most likely for the recast.
 Asura.Werdxi
Server: Asura
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2013-02-11 09:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I use nares cuz i use it for both nuking and precast, and sadly...i dont have enough inventory ( thank you SE ) to allow myself to have all the best gear for all the best situations on sch cuz it simply does everything. I look forward to the day, if ever, that SE allows me to actually use everything i want to.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-02-11 09:22:35
Link | Quote | Reply

At a little under 30% total haste, zelus tiara pulls ahead of af2+2 for alacrity down and is (I'm relatively sure) always the best alacrity up piece. If you haven't already made it, I would probably recommend not making af2+2 hat.
By usagiboi 2013-02-11 09:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

At a little under 30% total haste, zelus tiara pulls ahead of af2+2 for alacrity down and is (I'm relatively sure) always the best alacrity up piece. If you haven't already made it, I would probably recommend not making af2+2 hat.
You don't always have that much haste though. so its still a good piece to have

EDIT: also just for some fun Recast SSheet
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [64 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2013-04-16 16:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fast cast:
100*(1-.45)*(1-.10)=49.5

grimorie:
100*(1-.35)*(1-.20)=52

Sorry to necro this, but I have been looking for fast cast information for a while and I can't seem to find it (for casting speed that is). I have been doing my own testing since I haven't been able to find information on it. So here is where I am at so far.

As far as I can tell for casting, the equation is:

Cast Time x .75 x (1 - (Fast Cast + Gear Bonuses + Skill Bonus + Element Bonus))

Using this equation, I can reliably calculate at which percentage tic on the casting bar my blm will cast spells 100% of the time. By default with no casting bonuses, your spell would cast at exactly 75%.

I have not done any testing with sch grimoires or equipment that enhances grimoires so I can't speak with authority on it. I was just curious if your information about grimoires being on a different multiplicative property of casting is confirmed anywhere?

I will do some testing tonight on my blm and let you know what I find out too. I use blm because I can cast using Burst, which has an absurdly long cast time to isolate specific properties. It should be able to confirm whether the grimoire bonus for precast is additive or multiplicative at least.

99 BLM/SCH casting Burst (any spell really) with no arts active should cast at 52.5% (52% for eyeballing, which should be sufficient). If grimoire cast bonus is additive, casting with dark arts active will make it cast at exactly 45%. If it is multiplicative, the spell witll cast at 47%. Can also check in the reverse and test with light arts active. Additive should go off at 67.5 and multiplicative at 63%. Again, if this information is already confirmed, I would love to see it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2013-04-27 04:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, it has been a week, but I think I have done as conclusive testing as I can get.

I used the windower addon battlemod to isolate exactly when the spell is cast in memory. I used sch and blm casting blizzard 5 for 2 reasons. One, both jobs can cast the spell, and two, blizzard 5's cast time is exactly 10 seconds.

First observation I had was that the cast time is actually the full 10 seconds. my initial theory of casttime x .75 is way off, and it was throwing all my calculations off. Ok, here it is.

There are 3 multiplicative properties that deal with fast cast right now.

first, fast cast. This includes fast cast from the trait and gear, and elemental celerity (job trait for blm). These are all additive with each other. My naked blm was casting Blizzard V at exactly 7 seconds. Elemental celerity is 30%. Adding Nares Cap and Anhur Robe made my black mage cast at exactly 5 seconds. Chelona boots, Swith Cape, Repartie Gloves, and Loquacious earring made the cast time exactly 4 seconds.

second, Magian Staves are a separate property from fast cast. It took me a while to pin this one down. At first I thought it was cumulative with my fast cast gear because I only added it later in the testing, but I got to the point where my numbers were off by just very slight amounts and I couldn't account for it. With full fast cast gear, my blizzard V's were going off not at 2.6 seconds, but at ~3.4 seconds there abouts.

third dark arts and alacrity. One of two things happens here. 1. The bonus for alacrity is 50% and it overwrites dark arts 10% bonus. 2. alacrity is only a 40% bonus and it is cumulative with dark arts. Either way, testing with 20% fast cast on blm. dark arts fired off at exactly 4.5 sec. alacrity at 2.5. With 30% fast cast, dark arts was casting at 3.6, and alacrity at exactly 2.0.

Lastly, with all my fc gear and my staff and alacrity, I was casting at 1.7 seconds. Because that was exactly what I was expecting, I can say with 100% certainty that alacrity breaks the 80% cast reduction cap. I am pretty sure this is already common knowledge though, as sch stuns strats in Legion already abuse this, only on the recast side. Just confirming it. So I have reworked my equation.

Time to cast = Base Cast Time X (1 - fast cast gear and traits) X (1 - magian staff cast bonus) X (1 (Dark Arts + Alacrity))
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-04-27 05:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Good job. Was wondering for a while where the magian staves fit in to the equation.
 Diabolos.Yugl
Server: Diabolos
user: Yugl
By Diabolos.Yugl 2013-04-27 07:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you tested to see if Elemental Cast Reduction and Song Spellcasting Reduction stack with FC? I found they did previously (And assumed Magian staves would stack as well, but surprise surprise), but this method should be more precise.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2013-04-27 22:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I only had my stoicheion medal at the time. I didn't even think to get my Goetia Petasos +2 out. Near as I can tell, x skill/cure cast down gear is part of the fast cast/elemental celerity calculation. I will try to remember to get my goetia hat out this week and test for sure.

The one other outstanding issue I have is whether or not the affinity bonus from the elemental staves can break the 80% barrier or only the sch grimoire/alacrity abilities can. I don't have enough fast cast gear myself to test this definitively I think

If I sub rdm on blm I have a total reduction from fast cast/elemental celerity of 15 + 30 + 33 = 78%. If the staff can break the 80% barrier, my level of fast cast would only put me .1 seconds below fast cast capped cast time. Getting that extra 2% would widen that gap to .3 seconds, but again, it wouldn't be that definitive...

Does anyone know if the recast staves break the 40% fast cast reduction rule?