Wheres The Pup Guide?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Wheres the pup guide?
Wheres the pup guide?
First Page 2
 Siren.Barber
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2013-01-23 18:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If I can be so bold.....with all the guides popping up the where is the pup guide? I really think people could benefit from a good one way more than some of the other jobs.

I know I could use one. I've painstakingly levels my auto skills to cap (well to 90the at least where my pup stays). I also have pretty good monk gear which I assume would translate pretty well to pup in addition to the pup gear I have. Nut I really have very little idea how to play it effectively. I don't know which attachment is best. I don't know which maneuvers to use, etc.

There are good tidbits here and there but if there was someone who was willing to step up to the plate and out everything in one place I think the overall level of play would get better. And isn't that what we all want? Better pup play? Yes. And funnel cakes.
[+]
 Siren.Barber
Server: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2013-01-23 18:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Please forgive typos. My phone is from 1987.
[+]
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-23 18:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be interested to learn more about pup. Not to actually play it, but just to learn more about it.

But yeah, you know someone will eventually say "lolpup"
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-23 18:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Barber said: »

Damn, that's pretty advanced technology for 1987.
[+]
 Phoenix.Heloez
Server: Phoenix
user: HelloHelo
By Phoenix.Heloez 2013-01-23 18:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Pup is bad and you should feel bad.
 Lakshmi.Vagrua
Server: Lakshmi
user: Vagrua
By Lakshmi.Vagrua 2013-01-23 18:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

kind of outdated, but here: PUP guides
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-01-23 18:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday! I was trying to explain some basics to an ls mate who's starting up his pup from scratch and the mechanics get pretty convoluted typing them in chat ._.

Made me think how useful a guide would have been in my wee pup days. Who knows, maybe when I have some more free time... Was also thinking about making a PUP dynamis video since I've had a few pups ask me how I manage such a healthy currency average in there.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
Server: Bismarck
user: Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-01-23 19:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday! I was trying to explain some basics to an ls mate who's starting up his pup from scratch and the mechanics get pretty convoluted typing them in chat ._.

Made me think how useful a guide would have been in my wee pup days. Who knows, maybe when I have some more free time... Was also thinking about making a PUP dynamis video since I've had a few pups ask me how I manage such a healthy currency average in there.

There is one dyna video done and a few more of other stuff in my channel if anyone interested. Soon will be adding more including solo some salvage II zones (esxept bosses)
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-01-27 20:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd love to see a PUP guide. It's my favorite job, but there's so many ways to play (and gear), and there's not a lot of current guides in the player community about puppetmaster. The job is very capable for solo/low-man stuff, but I think it's daunting to try and pick up.

What is your currency average in Dynamis? I usually do Dynamis as BST, but I've been messing around more and more with PUP in there. I don't have Verethragna, yet, so I'd imagine that would be the biggest improvement for currency average.
 Shiva.Karichan
Server: Shiva
user: Kari
By Shiva.Karichan 2013-01-27 20:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I know, nobody knowledgeable and patient enough to write a guide plays PUP, which is the main issue.

I'd love to know more about the job, and possibly play it soon, but it's definitely a huge unknown for most players.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-01-27 20:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

My average for the last week of runs I did as PUP was 220. Like any dynamis farming job, it's very gear-dependent. I was typically averaging 185 before I 90ed my Vere and finally got full Thaumas.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-01-27 20:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

My average for the last week of runs I did as PUP was 220. Like any dynamis farming job, it's very gear-dependent. I was typically averaging 185 before I 90ed my Vere and finally got full Thaumas.

Yep, that sounds about right. I average around that too, and my top ever soloing was 271 doing DC mobs.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-27 21:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't even need all that to score big in dynamis. Pup was built for dynamis WS camps in CoP zones.

I thought about writing the pup one, but I don't call myself an authority on the matter. I REALLY like the job, and play it well, but I don't have vere or KKK so people might just take my advice with a grain of salt anyways.
By sefalon 2013-01-27 22:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Jonadriel said: »

There is one dyna video done and a few more of other stuff in my channel if anyone interested. Soon will be adding more including solo some salvage II zones (esxept bosses)

I assume if you do the PUP route in dynamis you are going during WS time. I like that idea since JA is so crowded and its very frustrating. I was wondering since you cant turn back when their hp is low so,, Do you just kill and move on. Also are you still DNCR sub or thf? I have a lot of Pup skilling up to do if I want to attempt this, I just want to know some of the details.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-01-28 00:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon said: »
Bismarck.Jonadriel said: »

I assume if you do the PUP route in dynamis you are going during WS time. I like that idea since JA is so crowded and its very frustrating. I was wondering since you cant turn back when their hp is low so,, Do you just kill and move on. Also are you still DNCR sub or thf? I have a lot of Pup skilling up to do if I want to attempt this, I just want to know some of the details.

Sometimes i just kill if no proc and it have low hp. I just make sure i don't do the big ws until i see it proc. No need for /dnc since there is no need for JA procs. I sub thf and i fight the DC mobs. If i were to fight the EP mobs i'd go subless for maybe a chance at white, but it is very random and u might get out from that with nothing or very little or get lucky and have several whites.
But there is a thread with a lot more information about it here:
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/28540/pup-in-dynamis-v2/
check that out for more info.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-01-28 08:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Siren.Barber said: »
Damn, that's pretty advanced technology for 1987.

He'd take it to work but it barely fits in his car.
 Cerberus.Kuching
user: Kuching
By Cerberus.Kuching 2013-01-28 12:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello :)

I may have what you are looking for. I have a full PUP guide under-construction that I would like to share with you. It focuses on the beginning of PUP, the learning and building; and the final improvements. I have been writing this guide for the past two years+ and would like some people to take a look and let me know of any updates and misinformation that may need taking care of before I post it properlly on this forum.

Yet to be added:

*Dynamis strategies
*Salvage strategies
*Optimal and alternate master gearsets
*Optimal and alternate automaton gearsets
*Discussion on Thaumas (not much else to say except its great)
*Discussion on Tenryu

I would like help with:

*The points above
*Second opinions on the gearsets I have spoken about [relic/salvage/limbus etc]
*Improved Optimal Pet gearset
*Merit Revision ( do we NEED magic merits to get all spells? )
*Skill up areas/strategies advice (for the burners)

Different areas have been updated as and when they happened, so the tenses of how I talk about gear might be a bit jumbled up. I need to talk about everything in the PRESENT.
I have always given out my guide as general help for how stuff works and told people to check ffxiah for gearsets. Should I make this the absolutally-everything-guide?

Please help me fill in the gaps and make this a worthy guide to be posted officially. I am not a very confident writer but I want this to be more then perfect before I submit it to be the main topic of this forum and to help my fellow PUPs.

Ku x
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-01-28 12:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I can only imagine pup guide to be huge cause there's so much to say and explain about it. So many different way of using it for different situations...good luck @.@
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-28 12:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Kuching has a pretty good guide there, but there are a couple of things I don't agree with on there, since pup has hit 99. I don't think you need the 2M+ (and super rare) tranquilizer piece anymore. And condenser is obsolete (and just as rare and expensive in some cases as tranq). We get so much skill and m.acc + that I never see a use for tranq at 99. And since they changed heatsink to basically do what condenser does, that's more saved gil. Plus I would never have room for tranq on blm turban, as I usually just stack the magic att stuff. Just food for thought.
By luckycharms1877 2013-01-28 12:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

If i was a better typer i would do a Pup Guide but sadly im not. *sigh*
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-01-28 12:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I can only imagine pup guide to be huge cause there's so much to say and explain about it. So many different way of using it for different situations...good luck @.@
I think it would need a whole page to cover in its entirety.
By luckycharms1877 2013-01-28 12:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I think it would need a whole page to cover in its entirety.

I say 3pages tops to cover everything
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-28 12:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Upon reading the entirety of the guide, I did find a few things that cocked my head, but it's a good guide over all. Some stuff I just plain don't agree with though, but like they said, there are stuff yet to be added.
[+]
 Cerberus.Cahlum
user: Cahlum
By Cerberus.Cahlum 2013-01-28 12:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Great guide so far Kuch, PUP is so complicated!
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-28 13:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gettin together with Kuching to add my notes to hers so we can get a potentially improved guide goin ^^
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-01-28 16:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice guide!

I'd also suggest that you add in a discussion of the auto's magic priority system and the casting/action cooldowns. You touched on the priority system regarding weaponskills so perhaps you could consolidate those into a section all about automaton behavior (Automaton AI and You!).

You may also consider getting rid of some of the quest-related text (such as the stuff regarding automaton heads/frames) to save some space since most people just look up quests on a wiki.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-01-28 16:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, possible thread titles (humor me):

Playing with dolls: A FFXI guide to Puppetmaster
Why didn't this thing come with a manual?: A PUP Guide
Vana'diel Clown College: A Guide to Puppetmaster
Can I go as PUP?: A guide to dealing with rejection
And of course,
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-01-28 16:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait. WAITWAITWAITWAIT. HOLD UP!

WAIT!

Are you telling me pup isn't just mnk with a funny hat?
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2013-01-28 23:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Kuching, your guide is a pretty good start. You might want to proofread it for typos, though. And there's not too much about optimal pet sets; your guide is more for the master so far. There are different solo strategies on puppetmaster that are effective for different situations, and should probably be covered, like master with Soulsoother, or Valoredge tanking. If you'd cover how to gear (or equip atmas) and the appropriate maneuvers for those situations, I bet new PUPs would find it useful.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-29 00:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, possible thread titles (humor me):

Playing with dolls: A FFXI guide to Puppetmaster
Why didn't this thing come with a manual: A PUP Guide
Vana'diel Clown College: A Guide to Puppetmaster
Can I go as PUP?: A guide to dealing with rejection
And of course,

I love this btw lol...

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
Wait. WAITWAITWAITWAIT. HOLD UP!

WAIT!

Are you telling me pup isn't just mnk with a funny hat?

And this made me laugh way more than it probably should have lol.

This is my 6,666th post, it kind of fits that it's in the pup section as you have to be crazy to love this job lol.
[+]
First Page 2