Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Ranged Attack
Ranged Attack
 Phoenix.Boyaci
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user:
By Phoenix.Boyaci 2009-06-07 02:01:53
| Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I've recently been leveling COR (34) as a main and now RNG (23) for subbing purposes and I'm very much enjoying both jobs.

What I am not enjoying is the attention that my ranged attacks generate from the mobs. Seems like every single fight, I am taking hate at least twice, if not more. This is with -3 enmity from food (Flounder Meuniere).

Is this a product of weak tanks or do I need to spread out my ranged attacks the same way that a BLM spreads out this nukes to avoid taking hate?

I am attacking every change I get, with a DD mentality. What I mean to say is that because I don't engage on DRK, take a swing, then turn around for a bit before swinging again that I've really never considered pausing between ranged attacks either. Is this, however, what I should be doing?
 Asura.Krebons
Server: Asura
user: Krebons
By Asura.Krebons 2009-06-07 02:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

As a rng / cor you need to pace yourself, you you should be /ra /ra wait /ra /ra wait wait weaponskill something like that. you have to walk the line of hate so to say
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-06-07 02:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, as a Ranger. . .
It really depends on the ability of the tank, as well as what you may be fighting. A RNG or DRG, hell, even a SAM with polearm takes more enmity than most pld's can keep hate, fighting flying type mobs.

I spread them out evenly when possible, but usually when the mob is about 50% HP, I can spam more often than not.

A PLD, WAR/NIN or NIN should be able to keep themselves effective during a party. Bullets with a gun are the most powerful of weapons for RNG and COR.
So naturally, that dmg is gonna be pretty high w/ skill.

But keep yourself consistent, while also balancing your ratk's out, and youll be fine.

Also keep note that food helps too after 30 really.
If I have enough Racc during a party, I'll put up Ratk food.
If I think my Racc is a lil low, I'll put up Racc food.

More resists, tend to tick me off..
So I barrage XDD

But I try to not do it so often to the point of death.
Only time I do that is when I want to make the pld's mad xDDD
But hey, birds are birds, and we're rng's. They need to die <.<;
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-06-07 03:04:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Keeping an open eye on your tank's hate cycle patterns makes a world of difference. RNG & COR are awesome at shooting, but knowing when to shoot is half the battle.
 Ragnarok.Zakules
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zakules
By Ragnarok.Zakules 2009-06-07 07:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, it is like being a blm. You gotta hold that beast-like DD so that the tank can have a chance to get hate. Also very important not to WS at start, because then it's very likely that you're gonna be holding agro for half the battle.

You're going to see that eventually when tanks get better enmity gear / abilities it's going to be easier to go nuts on the mob without taking too much agro. But until then sit back a bit and enjoy the exp. xD
 Phoenix.Boyaci
Server: Phoenix
user:
By Phoenix.Boyaci 2009-06-07 13:22:29
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the advice and insight, guys. All great responses, I appreciate that.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-06-07 13:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

There are some things you can do to protect yourself. For instance, I usually only ws if the mob is 50% or lower (especially in dynamis or Sky) and when in a regular party, it helps to ask the pld to sentinel whenever he can. Sentinel and Barrage are both 5 min abilities, you can wait until your pld sentinels and then barrage.
 Ifrit.Kalix
Server: Ifrit
user: Tokitung
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-06-08 15:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranged attacks are the most damaging weapon attacks for the delay as well as the most accurate (for Rng and Cor.)

Learn to pace yourself, set up for SC/kill shots for your WS/Barrage. If you notice the mob waivering, hold off till the tank can get some more hate. Learning this now will truely help you once you get Slug Shot.