Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-10-04 15:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Barber said: »

Then judging by that chart he needs to tell me:

A) When will he be rescending the bush tax cuts?
B) When will he be ending the wars?
C) Will he continue with recovery measures?

I suppose the TARP/Fanny/Freddie issue was a one time thing (hopefully) and he has spoken about economic recovery which is at least trending the right way although still in bad shape. But I've heard the "I'm bringing the boys back home" speech before. And nobody has the balls to say "Look at this chart. The Bush tax cuts are responsible for half of the deficit so we need to cut them out."

What is he going to do to take away the red line? The light blue line? The orange line? If you can tell me how.....and do it with a straight face while telling me that taking away the yellow line and blue line won't adversely affect the economy....that's what I want to hear.
He answered A and C to an extent in the debate and you can find great detail about all 3 topics on his website and in various credible media outlets.

The information is out there if you are willing to look for it.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-10-04 15:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Misleading...

You don't count the first year why? If we are to follow their logic we would need to count the first year of the next presidency before we tally the totals, so why would we even bother comparing the two now? Wouldn't a fairer comparison be the first 3 years of the Bush administration and the first 3 years of the Obama administration? Of course not cause that makes Obama look bad.

Obama has added as much debt in his 4 years as Bush did in his 8.

The first year of every presidential term starts with a budget approved by the previous administration and Congress. Or am I wrong?
INB4 apparently Obama didn't...

It does, but the prior year's passed budget doesn't matter. It isn't an excuse because the president and congress can still enact executive orders/laws that affect current year fiscal appropriations.

Laws aren't really a problem when you're the one writing and passing the laws.
By Artemicion 2012-10-04 15:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Misleading...

You don't count the first year why? If we are to follow their logic we would need to count the first year of the next presidency before we tally the totals, so why would we even bother comparing the two now? Wouldn't a fairer comparison be the first 3 years of the Bush administration and the first 3 years of the Obama administration? Of course not cause that makes Obama look bad.

The first year of every presidential term starts with a budget approved by the previous administration and Congress. Or am I wrong?

It does, but the prior year's passed budget doesn't matter. It isn't an excuse because the president and congress can still enact executive orders/laws that affect current year fiscal appropriations.

Wait... what?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-10-04 15:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
Misleading...

Wait... what?
Legislative and Executive branches?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-10-04 15:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
If you guys are so above it all, why are you here?
To find each other, of course!

I never claimed to be above it; I certainly try my best to stay out of it, however. I see comments like "I love how Obama smirks when Romney is speaking", "Obama doesn't need to pwn [sic] Romney, he's doing it himself", and... I just take note. So if I see someone making a generalization, a generalization I agree with, and only that -- a generalization, not a personal attack towards anyone here specifically -- I just want to say, "you're not alone", more or less.

If you don't get the feeling that people across the country, and also here, are treating this like a popularity contest with a personal investment attached; that people are treating this like they're less watching two potential Heads of State, and more squaring off their own rigorously trained Pokemon against a bitter rival, then... maybe you want to argue with me? Or perhaps even agree. I don't know.

To answer your question, I feel I have just as much a right to post here as anyone else, and I don't see you explaining yourself so why should I?
Fair enough. Yeah, we've each made our quips about the candidates, but you also can't ignore the valid arguments that were made afterwards.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-10-04 15:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Fair enough. Yeah, we've each made our quips about the candidates, but you also can't ignore the valid arguments that were made afterwards.
Trust me, I'm not. There are a lot of people here with a square head on their shoulders.
 Siren.Barber
Server: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2012-10-04 15:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Then judging by that chart he needs to tell me:

A) When will he be rescending the bush tax cuts?
B) When will he be ending the wars?
C) Will he continue with recovery measures?

I suppose the TARP/Fanny/Freddie issue was a one time thing (hopefully) and he has spoken about economic recovery which is at least trending the right way although still in bad shape. But I've heard the "I'm bringing the boys back home" speech before. And nobody has the balls to say "Look at this chart. The Bush tax cuts are responsible for half of the deficit so we need to cut them out."

What is he going to do to take away the red line? The light blue line? The orange line? If you can tell me how.....and do it with a straight face while telling me that taking away the yellow line and blue line won't adversely affect the economy....that's what I want to hear.
He answered A and C to an extent in the debate and you can find great detail about all 3 topics on his website and in various credible media outlets.

The information is out there if you are willing to look for it.

Willing to look for AND believe it. A quick "Obama Bush Tax 2008" Google search showed me he wanted to get rid of tax cuts for people making above 75k four years ago. That didn't happen. And we all know one of the big reasons for a democratic victory in 2008 was war weariness, but despite the promises here we are, still pissing away money in wars that have only made more people hate us.

Guess I'm just jaded. I really wish politicians would be banned from fundraising and just put their whole plan on a four page word document, let us read it, and let us call them out when they dont do it when elected.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-10-04 15:56:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait... what?
He's still working off the lie that the supermajority started the second Obama's hand touched the bible.
 Sylph.Kandu
Server: Sylph
user: Kandu
By Sylph.Kandu 2012-10-04 15:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The prior year's passed budget doesn't matter.

I excluded the first years to play fair; I regularly read and hear the state of the national debt the very day when each of the previous presidents took office, but relate that Obama shouldn't be held accountable for the first year he was in office, being that it wasn't his budget.

I made it equal.
By daemun 2012-10-04 16:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess I'm just jaded. I really wish politicians would be banned from fundraising and just put their whole plan on a four page word document, let us read it, and let us call them out when they dont do it when elected.
[+]d because I thoroughly agree with this.
By Artemicion 2012-10-04 16:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadowe Elrik said: »

Would also be cool if we had debates with live, instant fact checks and youtube video displays so candidates can hold their opponents to their word.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-10-04 17:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty accurate for a parody.
 Lakshmi.Jesi
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jesi
By Lakshmi.Jesi 2012-10-04 17:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Would also be cool if we had debates with live, instant fact checks and youtube video displays so candidates can hold their opponents to their word.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/oct/03/fact-checking-denver-presidential-debate/

There ya go.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-10-04 17:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

He's still working off the lie that the supermajority started the second Obama's hand touched the Qur'an.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-10-04 17:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jesi said: »

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/oct/03/fact-checking-denver-presidential-debate/

There ya go.

He meant in the debate by the opposing sides. It'd be far more difficult to lie if your opponent could pull up a video of you saying some ***that isn't what you're saying on stage.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-10-04 17:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Squal said: »
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
As for the healthcare issue under the constitution, is it not one of the greatest points that all American Citizens have the right to Life and Liberty?

If that's true, wouldn't privatizing healthcare negate both aspects by limiting one's right to essential life-saving healthcare?

Having Universal Access to healthcare should be everyone's liberty, not just to those that can afford it.

Yea, you're not misinterpreting that at all. They certainly meant by "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" that the government should take care of all health issues its citizens may encounter. That makes sense, being it was written during a time where a common cold could kill your *** and the life expectancy was about 35.

I bet by pursuit of happiness they meant we should all get $1,000,000 when we're born. Yea, having $1,000,000 should be everyone's liberty, not just to those that earn it.

Since when do liberals quote the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution anyways, thought you guys didn't believe in those?

First of all, as previously mentioned, I am not a liberal, conservative, or libertarian. I am an individual voter, and furthermore, a Canadian.

The pursuit of Happiness, which i expressly left out, is an ideal that one has the right to attain happiness by working for, and earning such privelages. Life and Liberty, on the otherhand, are covered by the Constitution, as a universal right to ALL citizens. Just because something, such as 1,000,000$ is nice, it's also not going to make everyone happy, nor is everyone entitled to a monetary sum.

I find it rather disheartening for the collective group of people below the border, that you would even compare a universal right to necessitated health care and life-saving healthcare, including preventative measures that reduce the burden of cost, to people having One Million Dollars. It is a privelage to have earned and saved, or even win, that sum of money.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2012-10-04 18:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama and his supporters when criticized about the national debt and the budget deficits will note that they inherited a large deficit from President Bush. "Two wars he didn't pay for" is the first thing mentioned. So in a nutshell, the money used to fund both of these wars was borrowed money that we did not have and should not have spent. It was a very bad thing using this money.

Now the president is, as he puts it, "winding down" the war in Afghanistan and the troops have come home from Iraq. He totes how we can now use the savings from the wars that will be over to strengthen the middle class etc etc.

Wasn't this money that Democrats said we should not be spending? Now that the wars will be over why do we still borrow this extra money every year? Why will this be the new baseline for spending? It's hipocrisy.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2012-10-04 18:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you aware of any viable candidates for the presidency that would immediately and irrevocably end the war in Afghanistan (and actually succeed in doing so)?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2012-10-04 18:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Point is Obama says that is money we didn't have and shouldnt have spent. So why does he want to continue to use that money after the wars are over indefinitely?
By Enuyasha 2012-10-04 18:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Point is Obama says that is money we didn't have and shouldnt have spent. So why does he want to continue to use that money after the wars are over indefinitely?
for other things besides nation nuking?
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-10-04 18:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

One of the reasons for using that money, is to put into sustainable programs and policies, which would, over a longer period of time, become far more beneficial to the country and it's citizens, than simply hoarding the money and not allocating the funds where they need to go.

It's a little project called sustainable development of the country.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-10-04 18:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Indefinitely sounds like an assumption. I'm still not seeing your argument for hypocrisy. How is it the same thing to spend money on unnecessary wars/nation building or on domestic relief in a time of economic downturn?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2012-10-04 18:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So he is excusing his massive deficits then? Got it. He cannot blame Bush for the defeicit when he is using that money for something entirely different.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-10-04 18:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The current deficit was Bush's fault, Obama just added Bush's war time expenditures back onto the books since Bush never actually did it. The Allocation of 1.2 trillion dollars was spent on military missions in Afghanistan under Bush as Emergency Spending.

How then, is Obama to blame for using a necessitated measure of spending money on economic relief over a war the people never wanted?
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2012-10-04 18:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Because defense spending is politically popular with voters who actually have a spectrum of viable political candidates that represent their views.

It is popular because it represents a manufacturing sector that will never be outsourced, and what is currently the most successful welfare system in the country for young people with no opportunity or drive or both. It provides the full range of necessary services the American political and economic systems fail to provide the lower middle class.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-10-04 19:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So he is excusing his massive deficits then? Got it. He cannot blame Bush for the defeicit when he is using that money for something entirely different.
lol. If your goal was to use your word magicks to trick us into some unwitting admission of hypocrisy, you failed. Miserably.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-10-04 19:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Should fact check before you try to sound any smarter. Much of what you're blaming the current president on has already been addressed in this forum, along with the 2 crispy critter versions that sated the belly of an unquenchable beast already.

The facts are there. The logic is there. The debate and information is readily available to see, and yet every time you post, it's always to the extreme side of the ignorant ramblings.

"President is bad, M'kay" "But why, Mr Maki?" Because the president is bad! M'kay!" *numerous reports of every good thing he's done, every report of every filibustered moved by his own people and the opposition*
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2012-10-04 19:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

No i did not. You decided to just bathe in the hypocrisy. Nothing said ran contrary to my point.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2012-10-04 19:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Should fact check before you try to sound any smarter. Much of what you're blaming the current president on has already been addressed in this forum, along with the 2 crispy critter versions that sated the belly of an unquenchable beast already.

The facts are there. The logic is there. The debate and information is readily available to see, and yet every time you post, it's always to the extreme side of the ignorant ramblings.

"President is bad, M'kay" "But why, Mr Maki?" Because the president is bad! M'kay!" *numerous reports of every good thing he's done, every report of every filibustered moved by his own people and the opposition*
Didn't say anything like that. When the questions get tough you just react angrily. Defending the President has to be very stressful, I'll give you a pass on your bitterness.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2012-10-04 19:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Throwing money into the bottomless voids that are Iraq and Afghanistan is the same as investing money into the backbone of working America. Good to know, I guess.

I don't even think you understand the point you are trying to make.
First Page 2 3 ... 20 21 22 ... 23 24 25