Overdrive

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Overdrive
Overdrive
By deshi 2012-09-28 16:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

hey pup community, what the f does overdrive do!? (other than no overloading)

old wiki and gamerescape state it gives a boost in attack/defense/attack speed, etc.

bgwiki has nothing about that boost in attack/haste/whatever, but talks about overdrive giving a single maneuver the power of three.

i've done some small testing of bgwiki's idea and either it only works for some attachments(didn't work for drum magazine) or somebody decided to troll new pups (?)

can any serious pups give me some clarification? is it a combination of both?

thank you
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Leonlionheart 2012-09-28 16:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

"serious pups"
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-09-28 17:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Leonlionheart said: »
"serious pups"

Asura.Julto
user: Julto
By Asura.Julto 2012-09-28 18:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I've played as a Serious PUP since it came out with ToAU. I can say that Overdrive does not work the way BGwiki stated. It doesn't triple the maneuvers present. You can test that with Auto-repair kits and Light maneuvers.

It does offer Immunity to status effects for the duration. I've seen it resist petrify/stun/sleep/slow/weight/poison/blind/paralyze. Also, if your Automaton is already afflicted with a status effect then Overdrive will work like Benediction and cure all status effects present when activated. (Minus the full health from actual Benediction)

I think what does happen with your Automaton's Attack and Defense is change or remove level correction formulas so that your Automaton will deal maximum damage to targets of higher level(or defense) to a certain degree. Think Ranger's "Flashy Shot" but for all attacks. If your Automaton is already higher level or doing max damage with max melee skill and Tension springs then you won't see an increase.
The increase to defense is hard to gauge, but I've seen slight drops in the amount of damage taken during Overdrive.

The Haste effect is real. However, it does not create a reduction in delay equal to Hundred Fists. More like delay is reduced by ±25% (The times I've tried to see how fast my Automaton can swing I had been equipped with Anwig+5% Pantin dastanas+2 +4% Moepapa Stone +5%, at which time my Auto swings about twice as fast, with turbo charger attached) I hate to say it, but there might be a limit to the max delay reduced for an Automaton. If equipment + 3wind maneuver turbo charger + Overdrive doesn't get my Automaton to spaz out then ~Balls~ to you SE. :(

If I use Overdrive for DD, I make sure I'm using the right maneuvers to get the strongest Weaponskills: Armor Shatterer and String Shredder.
[+]
 Asura.Julto
By Asura.Julto 2012-09-28 22:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, Overdrive helps resist Terror and Amnesia. (Confirmed via Ironclad Cleaverer's "Seismic" attack that slows/terror's and any regular swing that would cause amnesia.)
 Fenrir.Soulstealers
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Soulstealers 2012-09-30 18:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Overdrive Affect Pet PDT?
By Aeyela 2012-09-30 18:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Julto said: »
Also, Overdrive helps resist Terror and Amnesia. (Confirmed via Ironclad Cleaverer's "Seismic" attack that slows/terror's and any regular swing that would cause amnesia.)

I think pets are quite resistant to terror. I have killed Ironclads many times with Garuda and she's never been terrorized by Seismic Impact.
 Asura.Julto
By Asura.Julto 2012-09-30 19:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious about that too! What I've noticed is that my Automaton will stop fighting for a few seconds. It doesn't receive the frozen posture we do when Terrorized, but there is a noticeable period of time before it swings again similar to a stun.

It could also be that they never implemented coding in the game for avatars/wyverns/automatons to be frozen in place by Terror. I'd like to test it out with Absolute Terror against Carbuncle Prime to see.