Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » The Sealed Dagger: A Ninja Guide
The Sealed Dagger: A Ninja Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 153 154 155 ... 253 254 255
By Afania 2019-05-19 15:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
The test above was kikoku/Hitachi. Savage blade might still win with naegling/Hitachi, but ten r15heishi/Hitachi will be much closer than the above screen shot shows. Not really showing a fair comparison with TP bonus if one set doesn't even have the ideal weapon for the build.

They WS at max TP(1750+1000+250) so tp bonus on heishi is completely wasted anyways. Heishi is still a few D higher but if attack isn't capped then kikoku will probably have an advantage with attack boost and white DMG.

Basically WS at 1750+ TP = kikoku isn't necessary a bad choice. You aren't going to see several thousand increase in the test even if heishi is used.
 Shiva.Talryn
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Talryn
By Shiva.Talryn 2019-05-19 15:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the difference in stat mods reduces the effectiveness of the 15.5 fTP vs 13.75 fTP . Granted, it is easier to get Dex than it is to get Mnd but 50/50 vs 30/30... I have 345 str and 196 mnd in my Savage Blade set and 339 str and 266 dex in my Blade: Ten set. That's 270 WSC vs 181 WSC, a difference of almost 90.

Melee WS Base Damage = floor(( Weapon Base Damage + fSTR + WSC ) × fTP)

Let's assume fStr is capped, since it will give Ten the best chance. Also going to use 14.75 fTP for Savage Blade because of the extra hit. Ignoring 2nd hit of Savage Blade, even though it adds damage it makes math dependent on WSD in gear (edited).

Heishi Shorinken (R15): floor((166 + 18 + 181) * 15.5) = 5657
Naegling: floor((166 + 18 + 270) * 13.75 = 6242 * 1.15 = 7178

7178 / 5657 ~= 1.27 = Savage Blade does 27% more damage than Ten

That's all fine and dandy at 3000 effective TP, but that's not utilizing Aeonic at its best. If we WS at 1000 TP, that's 2250 for Savage and 2750 for Blade Ten.

Savage Blade fTP @ 2250: 11.12
Blade Ten fTP @ 2750: 14.5

Heishi Shorinken (R15): floor((166 + 18 + 181) * 14.5) = 5292
Naegling: floor((166 + 18 + 270) * 11.12 = 5048 * 1.15 = 5805

5805 / 5292 ~= 1.10 = Savage Blade does 10% more damage than Ten

Naegling wins in both scenarios.

All that being said, if there's something wrong in the way I interpreted a damage equation, let me know. I don't claim to be an expert on this but I also noticed an improvement in using Savage Blade over Blade: Ten.

(Post edited to adjust Savage Blade fTP values back to single hit. For reference though, 50% wsd in gear would change the percentages to 33% and 16% with the addition of the second hit, unaffected by WSD gear.)
By Afania 2019-05-19 15:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Talryn said: »
but I also noticed an improvement in using Savage Blade over Blade: Ten.

SB all things. Buukki is just stubborn and refuse to join the SB meta. :P
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-05-19 15:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I skipped that part about TP at max, my mistake. I don't really care which wins in a vacuum, I use all weapon combinations when it's needed. matters to me not in the end
By Afania 2019-05-19 16:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I skipped that part about TP at max, my mistake. I don't really care which wins in a vacuum, I use all weapon combinations when it's needed. matters to me not in the end

I call you stubborn mostly because of your "gtfo" reaction when I mentioned it on page 144.

I get that it's hard to accept the idea of using a sword on a ninja though, so whatever. The entire reason why I mentioned it because I do think it makes nin less of a lolDD if low WS avg is their biggest weakness.

Also have to say naegling is much easier to obtain than r15 heishi. Basically any new or returning player can get into play nin and compete with minimal gears.

Tl;dr: info about the effectiveness of SB build needs to spread, it's good for entire NIN community, IMO.
 Asura.Haxetc
Server: Asura
By Asura.Haxetc 2019-05-19 16:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Get out of here with your SB meme's. We all know that we live in a world where Metsu can't be topped!
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2019-05-19 16:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Asura.Haxetc said: »
On a serious note. From my testing Naegling does 100% beat Ten for sure.

The damage discrepancy between them should be small and practically non-existent if the Aeonic Katana is being used. Again Ten actually has high TP growth while SB has an extra base hit, both get a free hit from off hand. The WSC difference between them is interesting because while SB has a higher STR mod Ten's extra DEX mod should be much better then MND considering the gear NIN gets. The result should be both doing very similar damage with Naegling (not Kaja) doing more due to it's 15% flat bonus.
Here's my difference in just 2 screenshots. I didn't screenshot my gear but like I said it's definitely skewed to favor Ten (DEX augs etc).

Ten
SB
The average was very consistent so this shows what I saw for the most part. Metsu was doing 25k-28k. Buffs where Rostam Chaos/SAM, HM/VM/x2Min, and Idris Fury/Frailty Entrust STR.

Edit: Also just realized that my Ten screenshot cut off my second Ten but the average was around 35k >.>;
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-05-19 16:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You need to let that go for real. I forgot all about it but I probably said gtfoh because your Savage blade bias is in every thread.

Drg- HEY USE SAVAGE BLADE
RNG - HEY USE SAVAGE BLADE LOLOLOL

WE. GET. IT.

jokes aside, I wouldn't encourage a new ninja to gear for naegling Savage blade when gokutai is likely a better starter option that gives better stats out of the box. Apex is a non factor monster anyways. If you get the right buffs to support it, then sure, go with the better option that gives you the most damage. Won't really change anyone's job bias in the long run if you're pumping out 40k SBs in Apex. Nobody cares. Gearing for Savage blade isn't specifically new player friendly anyways, you'd need the requisite gear and accuracy to make it worthwhile. Not something a new player would accomplish quickly. It's just another cool tool in the ninja toolbox to be used appropriately when the situation calls for it
[+]
By Afania 2019-05-19 16:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You need to let that go for real. I forgot all about it but I probably said gtfoh because your Savage blade bias is in every thread.

RNG - HEY USE SAVAGE BLADE LOLOLOL

WE. GET. IT.

Whoever post about SB in drg and rng thread wasnt me, lol. In fact I advocate Decimation in rng melee discussion and I didn't post ***about drg, it was someone else.

Buukki stop being so emo and confused...

if you're pumping out 40k SBs in Apex. Nobody cares.

I've seen people bring SB nin to wave 3 runs and parsed top. So lol if you think people doesn't care about apex. It's a DD job with good DMG and survivability, always welcomed in endgame as well.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-19 16:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the difference in stat mods reduces the effectiveness of the 15.5 fTP vs 13.75 fTP . Granted, it is easier to get Dex than it is to get Mnd but 50/50 vs 30/30... I have 345 str and 196 mnd in my Savage Blade set and 339 str and 266 dex in my Blade: Ten set. That's 270 WSC vs 181 WSC, a difference of almost 90.

Let's assume fStr is capped, since it will give Ten the best chance. Also going to use 14.75 fTP for Savage Blade because of the extra hit.

Naegling: floor((166 + 18 + 270) * 14.75 = 6696 * 1.15 = 7700

7700 / 5657 ~= 1.36 = Savage Blade does 36% more damage than Ten

That's all fine and dandy at 3000 effective TP, but that's not utilizing Aeonic at its best. If we WS at 1000 TP, that's 2250 for Savage and 2750 for Blade Ten.

Savage Blade fTP @ 2250: 12.12

Naegling: floor((166 + 18 + 270) * 12.12 = 5502 * 1.15 = 6327

6327 / 5292 ~= 1.19 = Savage Blade does 19% more damage than Ten

All that being said, if there's something wrong in the way I interpreted a damage equation, let me know. I don't claim to be an expert on this but I also noticed an improvement in using Savage Blade over Blade: Ten.

It's not quite that simple because WSD only applies to the first hit and you are clumping all the hits together under a single roll. That kind of math is useful for showing differences between BDMG on the same weapon skill but gets a bit uneven if your treating SB's extra hit the same way your treating it's main hit. Both WS's get MA rolls so extra hits will add into that mix too. You want to calculate damage for main hand separately from everything else.

Ultimately my point was that the person showing 24K Ten averages vs 45K Savage averages was doing something very VERY wrong. Should be more like 35~40K averages vs 40~45K averages. I figured they would be very close and a Naegling would pull ahead by well, 15%. Of course none of this is NIN's real weapon skill, Blade Chi owns all things.
By Afania 2019-05-19 16:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Blade Chi owns all things.

I'm not convinced that hybrid WS is always the best for all things, personally. Physical WS still has its value.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-05-19 17:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're playing the way you all do (3 GEO 8 COR 2 BRD +scholar storms) yeah you should be hybriding all the things. Those hotshots would be bananas.

The one lucky DD that's allowed to play "not cor but not left out" gets 32 buffs should definitely Chi/Jinpu
 Shiva.Talryn
Server: Shiva
user: Talryn
By Shiva.Talryn 2019-05-19 17:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's assume fStr is capped, since it will give Ten the best chance. Also going to use 14.75 fTP for Savage Blade because of the extra hit.

Naegling: floor((166 + 18 + 270) * 14.75 = 6696 * 1.15 = 7700

7700 / 5657 ~= 1.36 = Savage Blade does 36% more damage than Ten

Savage Blade fTP @ 2250: 12.12

Naegling: floor((166 + 18 + 270) * 12.12 = 5502 * 1.15 = 6327

6327 / 5292 ~= 1.19 = Savage Blade does 19% more damage than Ten

It's not quite that simple because WSD only applies to the first hit and you are clumping all the hits together under a single roll. That kind of math is useful for showing differences between BDMG on the same weapon skill but gets a bit uneven if your treating SB's extra hit the same way your treating it's main hit. Both WS's get MA rolls so extra hits will add into that mix too. You want to calculate damage for main hand separately from everything else.

Ultimately my point was that the person showing 24K Ten averages vs 45K Savage averages was doing something very VERY wrong. Should be more like 35~40K averages vs 40~45K averages. I figured they would be very close and a Naegling would pull ahead by well, 15%. Of course none of this is NIN's real weapon skill, Blade Chi owns all things.

You're right, I wasn't focusing on wsd gear since they'd both get the bonus and made the mistake of including that in my calculations. If I take the extra hit out completely, it's still 27% and 10% instead of 36% and 19%.

Also, no one posted 24K Tens and 45K Savage blades. One person posted 27K Tens with 36K Savage Blades and another posted 35K Tens with 47K Savage Blades. Only thing wrong with the first guy's sets is that both were subpar (evidently).
 Asura.Kaelann
user: Kaelan
By Asura.Kaelann 2019-05-19 19:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ultimately my point was that the person showing 24K Ten averages vs 45K Savage averages was doing something very VERY wrong. Should be more like 35~40K averages vs 40~45K averages. I figured they would be very close and a Naegling would pull ahead by well, 15%.

I was consistently getting 26k average Ten and 36k average Savage Blade. The 42k SB was a rare spike, probably a TA proc or something. My Ten didn't spike higher than 28900 in the brief time I tested, which is also shown. Maybe I should have just left spikes out if it's misleading. I also didn't bother with things like Boost-STR or Entrust-STR, which would give higher averages, since I don't often have that up when I'm on NIN, but I do often have the buffs I listed above.

I don't have perfect gear for either yet (here, in case you're curious), but 'max possible damage on Ninja' wasn't really the point of the test. It was more about showing how using the exact same gear I already had for Ten (my gearswap is literally sets.precast.WS['Savage Blade'] = sets.precast.WS['Blade: Ten']) and just swapping out to an easily obtainable weapon gave surprisingly good results. Better than I thought I was going to get.

I also find it interesting that, despite the differences between my gear/buffs and Haxetc's, while we have different averages the gap between the two WS was pretty close for both of us. ~10k for me, ~12k for him, consistently in both cases.

I'm not at all advocating "SB all the things!" (I'm not any more excited about using Sword on NIN more than anyone else here tbh - I also initially thought they would be much closer), but I don't think a gap like that is something you can just ignore. Everything is situational in this game and surely there will be situations where the SB damage is the appropriate option. That's all I'm pointing out.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-05-19 22:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The person with 35k ten and 47k sb was afaik using ilvl offhand and WSing at 3000tp, so no wonder his WS are much stronger, because offhand hits and offhand ma proc were not missing and had like 100+ higher base damage.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-05-19 22:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
They are not all performed by the main hand
I've been under the impression an offhand of a different weapon type isn't used during weapon skills of a particular type.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-05-19 22:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

That was me, actually. Mostly for memes, although it ended up performing, theoretically, well beyond I'd assumed it would.

Not particularly close to Kaja Lance/Shining One, nor the even stronger polearms, but still quiet well.
By SimonSes 2019-05-19 23:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Veikur said: »
Ramuh.Austar said: »
They are not all performed by the main hand
I've been under the impression an offhand of a different weapon type isn't used during weapon skills of a particular type.

I highly doubt that offhand during WS is anything beyond check for base damage, accuracy and maybe attack. It probably wasnt tested but I bet its not being dropped only because its different type. More than likely the type of offahnd is not even checked and completely irrelevant.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-05-19 23:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You can get dagger skillups if you use fast blade... so... don't know why anyone would assume you don't even swing the offhand on a ws if its a different type of weapon.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2019-05-19 23:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Veikur said: »
That was me, actually. Mostly for memes, although it ended up performing, theoretically, well beyond I'd assumed it would.

Not particularly close to Kaja Lance/Shining One, nor the even stronger polearms, but still quiet well.
I use it on bones.

Exalted Staff +1/Retribution still sucks :/
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-05-19 23:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
You can get dagger skillups if you use fast blade... so... don't know why anyone would assume you don't even swing the offhand on a ws if its a different type of weapon.
It's an easy assumption to make if I've literally never seen that occurrence in the 16 years I've been playing this game.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-05-20 01:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
I'm not convinced that hybrid WS is always the best for all things, personally. Physical WS still has its value.
No need to be unconvinced, Blade: Chi works incredibly well on targets that do not have particular damage resistances.

The only "problem" I personally see with that is that it kinda requires more buffs/debuffs than physical WSs do.
It might seem irrelevant, but in many situation I think it's quite THE difference.
By eliroo 2019-05-20 07:15:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah thats the main drawback for Hybrids is that they absolutely Require a good amount of buffs (Pdif, accuracy and additional MAB) to even work- none-the-less shine, but boy if you get those buffs they are probably the best option if the job has a solid hybrid. On a side note: Savage blade all the things!
By Afania 2019-05-20 08:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
No need to be unconvinced, Blade: Chi works incredibly well on targets that do not have particular damage resistances.

Thats what I was referring to. There are entirely way too many mechanics in ffxi that no one dmg type can "own" all things.

I wish I can leaden salute own all things too, but I cant, realistically. Hence I said physical ws still has value.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-05-20 10:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The only "problem" I personally see with that is that it kinda requires more buffs/debuffs than physical WSs do.
It might seem irrelevant, but in many situation I think it's quite THE difference.

Well it really requires people think a little bit about required buffs before hand and fine tune them for the players. Basically your gonna need an Idris GEO for Frailty + Malaise with COR doing SAM's + Fighters (or Chaos if attack not capped) and HM VM Min x 2 (maybe one Mad if acc is needed). Two NIN's can then go to town and pretty much obliterate anything not super high level.
By Afania 2019-05-20 10:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it really requires people think a little bit about required buffs before hand and fine tune them for the players. Basically your gonna need an Idris GEO for Frailty + Malaise with COR doing SAM's + Fighters (or Chaos if attack not capped) and HM VM Min x 2 (maybe one Mad if acc is needed). Two NIN's can then go to town and pretty much obliterate anything not super high level.

Nobody is saying chi doesn't have the highest dps potential, we are saying it's not always the best WS for every situation in game. Thanks for confirming it.
By Vasius 2019-05-20 12:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

What are the current sets looking like for blade chi? Are the sets current for BIS for all the others on the main page?
By Asura.Evilddstroyer 2019-05-24 23:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh where them blade chis bis sets at :D ??
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Langly
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Langly
By Quetzalcoatl.Langly 2019-05-28 13:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't wanna.... /lazy
By andy1110 2019-06-04 10:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

hey guys, new to nin and confused with what REMA katanas to make, and is nin capable to do multiple skillchains solo? what would it be? and I haven't seen a nin in action for long long time, is it still worth the effort to put your gil in?
First Page 2 3 ... 153 154 155 ... 253 254 255