UFC 98, Evans/Machida -- Anyone Watching?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » UFC 98, Evans/Machida -- Anyone watching?
UFC 98, Evans/Machida -- Anyone watching?
First Page 2
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-23 20:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fight card seems pretty decent tonight. I like seeing Lyoto fight just because of his style. lol Didn't used to be too crazy about Evans, but he's doing pretty well now. Still, hoping Lyoto gets the win. Going to have to flip between this and Louis C.K. during the shitty fights. lol

Hughes/Serra should be fun. lol I don't really see Serra winning, but I hope he does anyway. Hughes just always comes off as such a douche. :< Sean Sherk might be good, too. Thoughts/Opinions?
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Eternallypure 2009-05-23 21:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

http://seo.dostscholars.com/watch-ufc-98-live-stream-online-fight-video/
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-23 22:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice! The actual "watch live" link isn't working for me, but I'd be kind of bummed if it did considering I already paid for it tonight. lol

Sherk/Edgar was pretty good. Sherk got picked on the entire fight. lol 2nd was a little dull, I thought, but the 3rd fight just made up for it!
By Ramuh.Eternallypure 2009-05-23 22:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah the link wont work for me either.. im hoping it starts to eventually though haha

i didnt order it though. wish i did haha
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-23 23:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Blah that sucks. Hughes/Serra wasn't anything spectacular so you haven't missed much yet. Evans/Machida starting right now, though, so cross your fingers! lol
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-05-23 23:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, yes i am. I won't post spoilers, but I'm disappointed in the result of hughes/serra, though i can't say it was unexpected. I'm pulling hard for Machida, he doesn't get half the credit he deserves. I have to say i was really surprised to see this topic on the front page of ffxiah.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-23 23:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

BAMMMMMM. Don't want to spoil either, but holy ***, great fight. Couldn't be happier with that result. Seriously look for videos of Evans/Machida before they get taken down asap. lol

I was dissapointed in that fight, too, Sevourn. Was pulling for Serra just because and I thought he did okay, but his standup wasn't there. :/

"THANK YOU, JOE ROGAN!" lolol
By Ramuh.Eternallypure 2009-05-23 23:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

MACHIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
effing owned evans! :D
 Cerberus.Zombi
Server: Cerberus
user: Zombii
By Cerberus.Zombi 2009-05-23 23:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

GO GO MACHIDA...made my night!!!!!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-05-24 00:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, spoiler posted, but yeah. i was standing and yelling in my living room like i was mentally challenged.
 Cerberus.Savannah
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-24 00:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING!!

i'm happy Hughes won too XD

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-24 01:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

yea...Hughes had more take downs overall and landed more blows...Serra just wanted to stand up the whole time so when it went to the ground he sat there taking punches waiting for the ref to stand 'em up again
 Shiva.Clowdd
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-05-24 01:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Machida's got game... He won the fight of course but his best fights will be defending that title and I predict he'll be holding that title for awhile.

Get used to seeing this picture pose for awhile and with the belt...
User submitted image
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-24 01:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Right on, Mahcida's like a new kind of hero-fighter. That sounds really geeky, but it's always fun to see someone who's more of an individual with an abstract style do well. Smart, too, that was why I liked Couture so much. I get loud during fights sometime, but today I surprised myself even because out of nowhere it was just "OHHHHHHHHH." lol

I think the best thing about Machida is that @light heavy I think he could give Silva a run for his money, if not beat him. Speaking of, Forrest Griffin's in for a hurting soon. The poor guy. lol
 Shiva.Clowdd
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-05-24 02:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jARbmnhFPw
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-24 02:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Werd. It's nice that people are noticing his defense because it seems defense aside from take-down defense is thrown out the window with the majority of the fighters. Couture was a fun boxer to watch because he could bob and weave and slip and make it look easy.

Oh and between Machida and GSP, karate is totally coming back. lol
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-05-24 04:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Machida is an amazing fighter, I'll agree with that. Pronouncing a karate resurgence might be a little premature, though. Machida is an anomaly, the only fighter in any modern mixed martial arts promotion who has been able to make any traditional style of karate work. Georges St. Pierre took karate as a child, but the vast majority of his training was in BJJ, boxing, and later, extensive training with the Canadian Olympic wrestling team. I think GSPs success is more attributable to his phenomenal athleticism and an uncanny ability to seamlessly transition between styles than any particular system of fighting.

As for Hughes winning, yuck. As a wrestler myself, I love his fighting style, and he is amazing to watch, but I read his book, and he comes off as an arrogant, self-righteous, self-centered ***. One passage that really caught my attention is when, in college, he gleefully described overturning a classmates car. Not my only gripe by any means. I'd be surprised if anyone could read his autobiography and remain a fan.
 Cerberus.Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-24 09:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

meh i prolly could...hard to not look at some sexy blue eyes >.>

honestly i could have cared less who won the fight...but my friends made me choose so i chose Hughes >.>
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-24 10:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sevourn said:
Machida is an amazing fighter, I'll agree with that. Pronouncing a karate resurgence might be a little premature, though. Machida is an anomaly, the only fighter in any modern mixed martial arts promotion who has been able to make any traditional style of karate work. Georges St. Pierre took karate as a child, but the vast majority of his training was in BJJ, boxing, and later, extensive training with the Canadian Olympic wrestling team. I think GSPs success is more attributable to his phenomenal athleticism and an uncanny ability to seamlessly transition between styles than any particular system of fighting.

As for Hughes winning, yuck. As a wrestler myself, I love his fighting style, and he is amazing to watch, but I read his book, and he comes off as an arrogant, self-righteous, self-centered ***. One passage that really caught my attention is when, in college, he gleefully described overturning a classmates car. Not my only gripe by any means. I'd be surprised if anyone could read his autobiography and remain a fan.

Woot Sevourn! The karate thing is more of a joke, but Joe Rogan kept joking about i and had to laugh because everyone doubts it just because it's karate. lol GSP is definitely a super athlete, though, so I see what you mean. I was glad to see him pound out Penn, despite all the greasing rumors.

Same thing with Hughes and Penn, they really do come off like *** and I can't stand either of them half the time. Hughes is a lot more obvious, though, that guy just reeks of dbag, especially during the Ultimate Fighter when he was more candid than usual. I wanted Serra to win solely on him being the under-dog and still standing his ground. lol
 Cerberus.Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-24 10:21:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what tho...Chael's fight was really good...I wanted to watch that one over XD
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-24 10:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Savannah said:
You know what tho...Chael's fight was really good...I wanted to watch that one over XD

Really? That was the one fight I hadn't really paid attention to. lol No one made about big waves about it or anything, so I figured I didn't miss much. :c
 Cerberus.Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-24 10:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:
Savannah said:

Really? That was the one fight I hadn't really paid attention to. lol No one made about big waves about it or anything, so I figured I didn't miss much. :c

yea...i really didn't care at first b/c i didn't know either of them...but it turned out pretty good...he was in control pretty much the whole time...he really overwhelmed the other dude
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-24 10:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Savannah said:

yea...i really didn't care at first b/c i didn't know either of them...but it turned out pretty good...he was in control pretty much the whole time...he really overwhelmed the other dude
Werd. That was basically why I passed on it because neither guy was really hyped at all and with a name like Chael I wasn't expecting a lot, as mean as that is? lol Ch-ch-ch-chaaaaaael. The other guy looked pretty unimpressive, can't say I'm surprised.

I liked the Sherk/Edgar fight for the same reason as you did for Chael, though. That guy was so quick and fresh, was a lot of fun watching him strike and pick on poor Sherk. That guy looks like one giant muscle. lol
 Ramuh.Sidious
user: SidiousXI
By Ramuh.Sidious 2009-05-24 10:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Machida! Ever since i saw him dismantle Ortiz I've been a huge fan. As for him and Silva, i don't know if that will happen ever. They train together and Silva has already said he's quite content to defend his middleweight belt (i know he's back in l. heavyweight against Griffin) so i doubt either would take the fight...but Dana White has said if GSP takes out Alves and Silva takes Griffin, he's going to look at those 2 being matched up. Wow! is all i have to say about that, fight of the century lol.

Couldn't agree more about Hughes and Penn being douches. I sincerely hope Florian pounds Penn into a puddle...though he'll probably "cheat" by using both hands and feet or something in Penn's mind xD
 Cerberus.Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-24 11:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

there was one other fight...that i didnt really know either of the dudes....that xavier guy who got knocked the f*ck out? that fight...he was OWNED!
 Ramuh.Sidious
user: SidiousXI
By Ramuh.Sidious 2009-05-24 11:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hahaha, yeah. Noone wants to get in the way of Drew McFrederie's (sp) fists. That guy has some serious power.
 Cerberus.Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-24 11:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

yea that was some good times...
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-24 12:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yar, I'd only heard of that guy, but never seen. Pre-fight everyone was making a big deal about him and he definitely delivered. The other guy kind of deserved it with a nickname like "Professor X", though. lol
 Cerberus.Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2009-05-24 12:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

haha only heard a lot about the main fights here...of course they were the only ones i cared about since i didnt really know any of the others XD

that was a sweet knockout tho...
[+]
First Page 2