Viable 5 Hit?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Viable 5 hit?
Viable 5 hit?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-16 22:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Eriina
Server: Ragnarok
user: Eriina
By Ragnarok.Eriina 2012-05-16 22:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
For Jumps, it would be more of an issue of controlling when you jump so that you're filling in gaps instead of finishing off your cycle no matter where you are, creating huge wastes, wouldn't it?

This is exactly how I see it. I tend to a hold jump if I'm anywhere over 60tp unless there's some other factor to consider: ie, jump timer is likely to be up before I will engage the next enemy. Or if killing the target right freakin now outweighs the TP waste.

Also agree with Sylow that a 5-hit build is a base line that, due to other factors, sometimes becomes a 4-hit(conserve TP) or a 2-hit(jump w/ double atk). Unless we are talking about swapping out stp gear on the 5th hit of a 5-hit cycle due to unforeseen TP gain, I don't see how one can deny it's value. Calling it a "at most 5-hit build" is perhaps more appropriate.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-05-16 23:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

For Jumps, it would be more of an issue of controlling when you jump so that you're filling in gaps instead of finishing off your cycle no matter where you are, creating huge wastes, wouldn't it?

Well, certainly you want to use jumps early in the TP cycle to avoid waste -- ideally, within one hit of using a weaponskill. However you also have to account for: different amounts of base TP gain for a jump compared to a normal hit; certain gear boosting the TP return independent of Store TP; and Spirit/Soul jumps doubling/tripling TP return if the wyvern is present.

Essentially, any given jump is unlikely to return exactly the same amount of TP (or 2x/3x for Spirit/Soul) as a standard hit, so it can't strictly be considered a simple replacement for a normal hit in terms of Store TP. That, combined with possible Conserve TP procs, creates a field of values that can shift how many normal melee hits are needed to reach 100 TP, allowing you to drop an extra hit with a small increase in Store TP, or drop Store TP for better melee damage when the Store TP isn't needed. (You could perhaps extend that idea to dropping all Store TP once you pass 100 TP, in case you can't weaponskill at that point for some reason.)
 Siren.Fupafighters
Server: Siren
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-05-17 02:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

There is situational gear to fix this kind of "99" tp issues lol. Macro in more store tp if you know your pattern will end you at 99. Example, I get 17 tp return on my sam. I use meditate right before ws, so I will not reach my 100 tp, and I will overflow to 119 tp because I didn't have enough tp to make 100 in one less tick, so I simply macro in more store tp to make up for it and come out on 100 tp upon meditate tick. You have to rely on X hits on all DD jobs, that's just the way it is. Why end up with 99 when you could end up with 100? ALso if you notice you get a crappy return on ws, compensate with more store tp in that next cycle to 100 tp. Store tp is RELIABLE, you will always end up at your x hit if you count it right.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-05-17 13:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Angkor Wat?! - The only reason i Know this place is because of "Illusion of Gaia".
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-17 13:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said: »

Angkor Wat?!

Emphasis on "Wat?"
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-05-17 13:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably the most obscure response image I've ever posted.

/hipstar
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-05-17 13:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably the most obscure response image I've ever posted.

/hipstar

I GET IT