Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Macc vs wind skill on BRD
Macc vs wind skill on BRD
First Page 2
 Asura.Cataclysm
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Cataclysm 2009-05-13 01:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wontering is anyone has parsed Macc vs wind skill on brd. My theory is that macc is slightly better cause it procs x2(once for singing and again for wind/lolstring) If anyone has proc data available please share.
thanks
 Siren.Lygre
Server: Siren
user: lygre
By Siren.Lygre 2009-05-13 01:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

i heard 1 skill = .9 macc
 Asura.Cataclysm
By Asura.Cataclysm 2009-05-13 10:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope this doesnt come across the wrong way, but I've heard alot of theory also. I am looking for solid parse data or atleast someone whose played with gear and has some kind of idea what works vs what ppl say might work.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-13 10:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

That's an interesting thought. Since they're added together... But doesn't it add them both together and then divide by 2 to get the average for Bard songs? O.oa
 Gilgamesh.Gregou
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Goirx
By Gilgamesh.Gregou 2009-05-13 12:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything about M.acc is on Kaeko's LJ, you can consider that M.acc point =~ Skill point.
And he's also got some data saying that Singing > Wind for debuffs.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-13 12:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, but what he's saying is that he wants to go mag. acc. b/c it would be calculated twice instead of once. I'm not entirely sure how they calculate mag. acc. for songs though. Is the mag. acc. added 'after' the skills are considered?
 Fairy.Ryogo
user: Ryogo
By Fairy.Ryogo 2009-05-13 12:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really think it would be useful to you to know unless you had a relic horn and wanted to break a March tier.

You just have to get to the point of knowing which mobs you can and can't land things on. It will get to a point with wind torque and any mix of good macc/skill gear and merits that it won't matter at all because the things you lullaby will be similar in level or lower so you'll know what you can/can't land things on- like a BRD fresh to 75 compared to a BRD 75 with the gear and some merits landing Elegy on Fafnir, but then trying Elegy something that never takes it w/o ES anyways.

Maybe if you told us which piece or pieces you were talking about in particular it would be easier to figure out what's best for you.

Maybe not answer you're looking for but hope it helps.
 Asura.Cataclysm
By Asura.Cataclysm 2009-05-13 12:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

right now i have full wind skill+ set for a lvl 70 brd however in finishing it im curous as to what my focus should be endgame but as an example insect ring vs Nereid Ring
and omega ring vs Nereid Ring
 Gilgamesh.Gregou
By Gilgamesh.Gregou 2009-05-13 12:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

As we said, M.acc =~ Skill, so Nereid > Insect and Omega > Nereid for debuff of course, for March Nereid > all.
 Asura.Cataclysm
By Asura.Cataclysm 2009-05-13 13:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

im glad thats your opinion but once again does anyone have any suppporting data(ex parsed macc buld vs skill build, #of resists, ect) or is it like everything else and a wasted 3weeks testing something XD
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-13 13:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cataclysm said:
right now i have full wind skill+ set for a lvl 70 brd however in finishing it im curous as to what my focus should be endgame but as an example insect ring vs Nereid Ring
and omega ring vs Nereid Ring

From what I understand you should get your CHR into the 120-130 range then max out skill/macc everywhere you can after that.

For march max skill period. For all other buffs cast time / enm- I guess.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-13 13:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cataclysm said:
im glad thats your opinion but once again does anyone have any suppporting data(ex parsed macc buld vs skill build, #of resists, ect) or is it like everything else and a wasted 3weeks testing something XD

Read Keako's (sp) LJ. And yes, this ***has been ran into the ground on BG.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-13 13:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Gregou said:
As we said, M.acc =~ Skill, so Nereid > Insect and Omega > Nereid for debuff of course, for March Nereid > all.

Sorry for loltriplepost but that was just too much brain asplode.
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-13 13:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Gregou said:

Sorry for loltriplepost but that was just too much brain asplode.

Lol, I think that his statement was missing a comma or something, cause it asploded me first, too, til I reread it. I think what he meant was, "Nereid > Insect" and then "Omega > Nereid" as two separate thoughts.

Also, Im not quite sure what it is you're asking. If you're asking is Macc better than Skill (On debuffs) then it depends on the number. You just have to do the math and figure it out. 1 Skill = 1 Macc (or very close to it). So when you're faced with 3 Macc and 3 Chr vs 3 Wind Skill (Omega Vs. Nereid) then the answer should be Omega. If 1 Chr = .5 Macc, and 1 Skill = 1 Macc (for maths sake, we'll assume it's an even 1), then Omega = 4.5 Macc while Nereid = 3. Omega wins.

And not for anything but there's not a whole lot of Macc gear available to us, anyways, so this whole thing is sort of a moot point. There's not going to be a lot of situations where you'll have to make the choice.

Instead of asking what you should be dumping on your bard as a whole, just take it one slot at a time. If you're curious about the rings, Gregou had it right. Omega > Nereid > Insect. Balrahn's is nice too, if you have it; but I see you have a melee job as well, so the melee ring would probably be better for you, anyways.

Once again, Gregou has already offered you the information you're looking for, on Kaeko's LJ. It has extensive testing on accuracy and skill. People keep telling you the answer and then you keep rebuffing it. Macc is equal to, or VERY slightly higher than Skill. Instead of trying to ask which is better than the other, analyze each slot as it's own thing, and then find the best piece of gear for that particular slot, instead of worrying about your bard as a whole. break it down and take it little by little, and you'll find that gearing becomes a whole lot easier.

Have I sat down and analyzed all the numbers and divided by zero? No, I haven't, and Im not going to. But I am a 75 Bard, I have a pretty good landing rate on my debuffs, and at the risk of sounding masturbatory, slightly above-par gear, and I know my job. After you've been playing the job a while, you mold into it.

Edit: Also, when you're buffing the party:

March = Skill, skill, skill.
Everything else = Skill until you hit the cap, then Enmity down and fastcast.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-13 13:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually if you are looking to maximize bard you do have to look at all slots at once and not just one at a time. Since you should be looking to get CHR into the sweet zone then adding Skill/Macc around it, it all depends on what gear you have access to. Things like Oracles Robe vs Osode for debuffs can only be compared when you know everything else they have or can aquire.
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-13 13:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

That's true, maybe I worded it wrong.

What I mean is, instead of trying to follow a cookie cutter image of what other people 'say,' to analyze your own numbers and gear.

Instead of asking people, "Skill or Magic Accuracy" and then, after getting a solid "Macc" proceeding to dump all your resources into acquiring Macc gear without (for lack of a better term) thinking for yourself.
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-05-13 13:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus and Alijah pretty much covered anything I would have mentioned with the exception of one thing: HQ staves. If you don't already have Apollo's and Terra's for your BRD, prioritize them over any other expensive upgrade for your BRD. Aside from instruments (obviously), HQ staves have the biggest impact of any piece of gear in a debuffing setup.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-13 13:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Eeek said:
Frobeus and Alijah pretty much covered anything I would have mentioned with the exception of one thing: HQ staves. If you don't already have Apollo's and Terra's for your BRD, prioritize them over any other expensive upgrade for your BRD. Aside from instruments (obviously), HQ staves have the biggest impact of any piece of gear in a debuffing setup.

Yes, this first.
 Gilgamesh.Gregou
By Gilgamesh.Gregou 2009-05-13 13:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
"Nereid > Insect" and then "Omega > Nereid" as two separate thoughts.

+1

Sorry if you didn't read it that way.

And with Taco you can hit 120 CHR with the best gear, in terms of CHR/M.acc/Skill.

I don't my words are very clear, I can't explain it better with my english skill, but check my BRD/WHM item set on my profile and I think it's gonna show what I mean :o
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-13 13:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Off topic, and I'm sorry, but you have a very nice RDM, Gregou. ^.^
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-13 14:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of sheer boredom I'm going to attempt to make the best Elegy build possible using 75 Chr as base CHR (totally pulled that number out of my *** and have no idea what is the normal base CHR for a brd)

Terra's / Earth Grip (2 macc) / galkahorn (4 chr 20 skill) / -----

Marduk's Tiara (3 chr 7 skill) / piper's (5 chr 5 skill) / musical (5 skill) / singing (3 skill)

Oracles robe (Macc 6) / AF+1 (7 chr 10 skill) / Omega (3 chr 3 macc) / Blharan <s/p> (4 macc)

Jesters+1 (10 chr) / Gleeman (6 chr) / Marduk's shal (10 chr 5 skill) / Goliard (4 chr 2 macc)

With 75 base Chr that equates to 127 Chr / +55 skill / +17 macc
The only one I'm not too sure about in this build would be Piper's vs Wind torque. Your giving up 5 chr for 2 skill but you would still be @ 122 chr, so it may be worth it.

If your base chr is way different, I'll build a set around that.
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-13 14:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

When debuffing, the Pipers > Wind Torque, but only just barely.

Also, if this is "Best Possible" (I see you had a Relic in there, so Im assuming sky's the limit XD), then Shadow Coat > Jubbah > Oracles. Shadow coat is the best in terms of straight accuracy, or you could be using the Marduk's Jubbah, which would give you Chr instead of Macc, but you could then swap out the Jesters for Astute Cape (since your CHR would be over the soft cap) and it also has slight fast cast. And Shadow Clogs > Goliard.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-13 14:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Completely forgot to look at shadow stuff. I thought about swaping Jester's for Sea cape, but switched out Angel's ring for AU ring instead.

Gonna redo it now :D lol
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-13 14:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if you have the Macc body, then the Chr cape would be better to boost your chr to the 'sweet spot' but like I said, using the Jubbah will keep the Chr at 120ish while still allowing the sea cape to be used.

I have both the Marduk's Jubbah and the Oracle's Robe, and I prefer to use the Jubbah until I get my Shadow Coat.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-13 14:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Terra's Staff / Earth Grip / Galkahorn / ----
Marduk's Tiara / Piper's / Musical / Singing
Valkyrie's Coat / AF+1 / Omega Ring / Balh
Astute Cape / Gleeman / Marduk's Shalw / Valkyrie's Clogs

@ 75 base Chr + gear = 119 + 4 from taco = 123 total Chr
+23 Macc
+60 Skill

Yeah that looks better.
 Gilgamesh.Gregou
By Gilgamesh.Gregou 2009-05-13 14:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Alkalurops > Terra's staff :o
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-13 14:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Gregou said:
Alkalurops > Terra's staff :o

I thought there was much debate about this and HQ sticks beat out akapukulrops.
 Gilgamesh.Gregou
By Gilgamesh.Gregou 2009-05-13 15:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep, can't really say what's best since we don't know exactly the M.acc bonus of HQ staves, everyone has his own thought about Alkalurops now :)
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-13 15:04:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Gregou said:
Yep, can't really say what's best since we don't know exactly the M.acc bonus of HQ staves, everyone has his own thought about Alkalurops now :)

Im of the HQ Staves > Alky camp, myself.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-05-13 15:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ali/Greg what you guys think of that setup? any improvments? Also what is you guys base CHR on brd?

Also, I guess tech the supreme setup would be to get most/all of your CHR boost from etudes, but that isn't very practical.
First Page 2