Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 858 859 860 861
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-01 10:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
When you get down the stairs on the first floor there is plenty of time to get up 4 presongs and 4 songs (plus healer and tank) without using nitro off the bat in the time it takes the COR to get rolls up, tank to buff up, etc.

Out of one side of your mouth you're telling me there's no time to cast 6 songs before people run off, and out the other side of your mouth you're saying you can cast 8 songs before anyone runs off, while your tank and COR buff, while taking longer to cast them (because you don't have nitro). Which is it?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-01 10:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The only possible arguments for doing 8 songs to start the buff rotation is:
-You don't have to think about which songs you're doing for the first 4 / you can use dedicated dummies (paeon, gavotte, whatever) for your lua / simpler lua toggling
-The first two songs are Daurdabla range

Here's a simple side-by-side of the two. If any of these songs miss anyone in either setup, that person will have a shitty song and correction will need to be made by the BRD:

1st: Daur Paeon / Gjalla Minuet V
2nd: Daur Paeon / Marsyas HMarch
3rd: Daur Paeon / Daur Minuet IV
4th: Daur Paeon / Daur Minuet III
5th: Mars March / Gjalla Minuet IV
6th: Gjal Min V / Gjalla Minuet III
7th: Gjal MinIV / Already done
8th: Gjal Min 3 / Already done

As you can see, the range on all songs matches except the first 2, meaning that unless you have people outside of horn range (but inside harp range) for the first 2 songs, you are gaining precisely 0 benefit in terms of reaching your far-flung colleagues, unless it's on the first 2 songs. I really struggle to find the benefit of your 8 song nonsense except it's easier for people with pea-sized brains to execute.

Here's a simple method to fix problems if they arise (while doing initial songs): if something goes wrong with a step, like someone walks out of range, continue doing that step until it has hit everyone. If you have 900 IQ you can even use piannismo to make this easier and just target the affected player with the "fix". Same instrument, same gear, same song. Just don't move on to the next step until the one you're currently on hit everyone.

Bonus, with CC:
3rd: Daur Paeon / Gjalla Etude
4th: Daur Paeon / Daur Minuet IV
5th: Daur Paeon / Daur Minuet III
6th: Mars March / Gjalla Minuet IV
7th: Gjal Min V / Gjalla Minuet III
8th: Gjal MinIV / Already done
9th: Gjal Min 3 / Already done
10th Gjal Etude / Already done
By Taint 2024-09-01 11:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the way:

1 song in potency gear
HMarch in potency gear
3 song in potency gear + Daurdabla
4 song in potency gear + Daurdabla
3 song in potency gear
4 song in potency gear
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-09-01 11:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
This is the way:

1 song in potency gear
HMarch in potency gear
3 song in potency gear + Daurdabla
4 song in potency gear + Daurdabla
3 song in potency gear
4 song in potency gear

It's semi important that song 3or4 is/are marches, so when you throw the ballads it overwrites minuets instead of marches

Unless there's more desire for attack than march like not engaging(*)

Songs are a pain in the ***.
 Bahamut.Suph
Server: Bahamut
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2024-09-01 11:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You can always pianissimo minuet in 0 song duration gear (I use TP set) to reduce minuet duration so you can overwrite the 2 minuets with ballads or minnes or sirvente or whatever else you want on your non-dd
[+]
By K123 2024-09-01 11:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
without only being able to do 2 with proper potency and duration.

The process I outlined still gets the mages (and tanks if applicable) proper potency and duration. By casting the initial songs in reduced duration, honor march has the greatest duration and will be last overwritten. Since everyone typically wants honor march, that means you'll be able to overwrite the minuets with full potency/duration ballads(or whatever you want) and save the march. While you're doing all of your mage/tank songs, your melee have full potency buffs. If you really want to give the mages victory march for a bit more haste, you can still do that after ballads and they'll have a bit more recast reduction in the meantime than paeons would give.

No matter how you try to validate it, the process of doing 4 full pre-songs is wasting 2-4 casts. If people aren't willing to stand still, you're doing the same amount of extra work whether you waste those 2-4 casts or not. The only argument in favor of prebuffing is if the person doing it is unable to understand mechanics or think fast enough to plan out their songs in real time. If they're likely to screw up their order or something, then yea, go for it.
Not sure what scenarios tank and healer need HM. I do 2 ballads and 2 minnes on whm and tank on kalunga, 2 ballads and 2 minne on ngai on whm, same on xevioso, etc.
By Pantafernando 2024-09-01 12:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Im sure Thunderjet didnt understand a fraction what was told so far.

Actually, i would even bet he asked and never went back to see the answers
By K123 2024-09-01 12:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
When you get down the stairs on the first floor there is plenty of time to get up 4 presongs and 4 songs (plus healer and tank) without using nitro off the bat in the time it takes the COR to get rolls up, tank to buff up, etc.

Out of one side of your mouth you're telling me there's no time to cast 6 songs before people run off, and out the other side of your mouth you're saying you can cast 8 songs before anyone runs off, while your tank and COR buff, while taking longer to cast them (because you don't have nitro). Which is it?
If noone runs off there is plenty of time to do 4 presongs and 4 songs (or 5+5). If someone runs off, it depends how far and how many run off and if they run off in different directions, etc. Honestly, unless you are in a static I would advise him as I suggested while learning.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-01 12:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If noone runs off there is plenty of time to do 4 presongs and 4 songs (or 5+5). If someone runs off, it depends how far and how many run off and if they run off in different directions, etc. Honestly, unless you are in a static I would advise him as I suggested while learning.

At some point in all these ramblings are you planning to describe how doing these extra songs helps with people wandering off?
By warmech 2024-09-01 12:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

so what you are saying is nni is a good place to farm a pulse?
By K123 2024-09-01 13:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

At some point in all these ramblings are you planning to describe how doing these extra songs helps with people wandering off?
At some point are you going to admit you have no experience or comprehension of what I'm talking about because you only play in a static and likely use voice chat too?
By Pantafernando 2024-09-01 13:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

warmech said: »
so what you are saying is nni is a good place to farm a pulse?

Only if you dont have respect to your own life
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-09-01 14:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

At some point are you going to admit you have no experience or comprehension of what I'm talking about because you only play in a static and likely use voice chat too?

JFC I guess I have to break it down even more.

IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW FAR AWAY THE MEMBERS ARE OR WHY THEY ARE THERE

The fact that people are cooperative or not cooperative, on voice or not voice, or what level of control you have over their actions is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

These are the songs we're casting. For every bolded song, you will have no greater range than I will for that song, so if a person runs off you will need to do the exact same chasing/recasting that I will. The difference is that in my scenario I have to do it for a shorter period of time, whereas you need your unreliable, uncontrollable, dumbass teammates to stand still FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

Please, explain to me how experience with teammates running away from songs (which happens all the god damn time to me) makes the range of your songs longer, or makes your allies paralyze in place while you cast your 10 songs on them. I wait with bated breath.

Here's another helpful chart for you. Number of songs that your idiots need to be in range of:
Code
My method | Your method
4 Horn    | 4 Horn
2 Harp    | 4 Harp
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-09-01 15:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, if you're partying with people who can't even stand still for songs frequently enough to base your decisions around it, you probably have bigger issues than your cast order.

But, I'm going to agree with MT for about the 4th time. A missed song is a missed song, correcting it takes the same amount of time either way. With NT and situational awareness, you shouldn't really miss people with wind anyway.. your songs are as good as instant and you can evaluate where people are unless they're actively trying to be a nuisance.
[+]
By K123 2024-09-01 16:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

JFC I guess I have to break it down even more.

IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW FAR AWAY THE MEMBERS ARE OR WHY THEY ARE THERE

The fact that people are cooperative or not cooperative, on voice or not voice, or what level of control you have over their actions is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

These are the songs we're casting. For every bolded song, you will have no greater range than I will for that song, so if a person runs off you will need to do the exact same chasing/recasting that I will. The difference is that in my scenario I have to do it for a shorter period of time, whereas you need your unreliable, uncontrollable, dumbass teammates to stand still FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

Please, explain to me how experience with teammates running away from songs (which happens all the god damn time to me) makes the range of your songs longer, or makes your allies paralyze in place while you cast your 10 songs on them. I wait with bated breath.

Here's another helpful chart for you. Number of songs that your idiots need to be in range of:
Code
My method | Your method
4 Horn    | 4 Horn
2 Harp    | 4 Harp
Still don't get what you don't get. Saving theoretical time, ok. I stand by what I'd advise him to do unless he is in a static with reliable people and still learning singing cycles. I'm not debating theoretical ideal situations for experienced players, that seems irrelevant to someone asking how to get songs up at this stage.

As long as I don't know 5/6 of the other people, I would make sure presongs are up before I cast proper songs. In the time it takes to do rolls and other buffs, no actual time is "lost". Arguing otherwise is beyond dumb, but be my guest. Write another raging essay about how right you are by all means.
By K123 2024-09-01 16:28:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Honestly, if you're partying with people who can't even stand still for songs frequently enough to base your decisions around it, you probably have bigger issues than your cast order.

But, I'm going to agree with MT for about the 4th time. A missed song is a missed song, correcting it takes the same amount of time either way. With NT and situational awareness, you shouldn't really miss people with wind anyway.. your songs are as good as instant and you can evaluate where people are unless they're actively trying to be a nuisance.
I never staticd for Sheol C. PUG life.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2024-09-01 23:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that it effects anyone 20 years later, but did they ever make a way to trade multiples of an item in a normal macro?

Like say for trading duder in Selbina multiple millioncorn in one shot, since it takes 3 at a time. I know Moss is the superior way, but was the only thing I could think of off the top of my head where you trade more than 1 of an item
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-09-01 23:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Vanilla: no
You can use the tradenpc addon to do that
By Shichishito 2024-09-03 03:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I read about absorb-TP strats with /DRK in latest content and was wondering if there are no macc checks for that spell or how does it work?

Also some mobs regular attacks count as WS, does that mean they don't use up their TP at all?
By Pantafernando 2024-09-03 03:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I think i already saw absorb tp being resisted, but i would say it should give a large macc boost from start so its not hard to use it consistently with DRK as sub. I personally abused that strat during Liliths day, and my BRD and COR were landing absorb tp even with sub job spell.

And i think it actually makes sense. Being absorb spells one of DRK trademark, and being DRK a job naturally focused on physical dmg, it makes sense giving some handicap to their spells so the job can make use of absorbs despite not being geared for macc.

But i suppose devs didnt count that would be abused as a subjob to bypass those nasty tp moves.

It happens.

About mobs regular attack being considered WS, isnt this some abstraction to explain how those regular attacks can bypass defensive traits? Which mob is it? Mobs dont even need tp to perform a tp move, so i dont think anything would prevent them to use special moves
[+]
By Nariont 2024-09-03 03:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Abs have the usual macc and int checks for land rates.

Just so happens a couple encounters can absorb or have an incredibly low resistance to darkness that allows abs-tp to work reasonably well, even when subbed.

As for mobs, i cant think of many that have AAs as a TP move, their AAs are just kinda like actions like a rng mobs RA, they still need TP to ws and such
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-09-03 05:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Moves like ironclad's melee or naakuals hits are not really 'WS' or 'TP moves', they just share some characteristics and can block proc in abyssea. They give TP, rather than consume it, and are really just fancy melee hits that had to be implemented a little differently on the server end.

Absorb-TP works subbed because we have so much m.acc available that the 267 skill difference between sub and main can be made up. It isn't tied to a status resistance rank, only an elemental resistance rank, and dark threnody + frazzle 3 are always used on Aminon. I don't believe he specifically has low darkness resistance.
[+]
By Kaffy 2024-09-03 07:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't parsed xp/hr with allies' roll yet, so I'm wondering if it ever has a use if you are lacking significant WSD in your sets. No Nyame yet, and none of the JSE pieces either. I was just taking advantage of CP campaign to master a job. Radiance closing wasn't capped damage, usually 70-90k.

This was the split on WAR with COR/SAM rolls and the rest made up by the GEO bursting.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-09-03 07:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Allies roll/SC Bonus is one of those super reliant on everything else.

If you have more attack, you automatically get higher skillchains.
If you have more DA you automatically get higher/more skillchains.
If you have more/faster TP you automatically get higher/more skillchains.
If you have higher crit and the ws has crit rate you automatically get higher skillchains.

Every other roll contributes to ws speed and white damage. Allies is usually a 4th or 5th roll for double/triple cor parties.

To be fair, cor roll isn't always the best roll either, killing faster with a better roll may or may not award more exp per hour, vs higher exp per kill.
By Kaffy 2024-09-03 08:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, would have to test each different roll then to see the best combination. That WSavg is a bit misleading because of Full Break but I bet chaos might have outdone corsair roll had I tried it.
By Shichishito 2024-09-03 17:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Which mob is it?
The crackpot idea was to go solo BLU/DRK vs Dhartok and get a "free" 18k WS every ~15 seconds for only 33MP while trying this magic set strategy:
However Dhartok seems to be rather resistant vs darkness aligned spells and if you usually have to bring threnody + frazzle 3 to make it work it's most likely going to be a resist fest.
By Kaffy 2024-09-06 13:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

With the amount of magic accuracy we have on gear now can pld/blu stun with head butt? Say Sortie, upstairs probably down probably not?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-09-06 14:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably. I've seen some tanks land Frightful Roar on some Sheol C mobs on higher floors, and those monsters should be around the same level as C3/4. The most practical use in Sortie would be on something like Botulus, since stunning it helps take him down (though you could just use flat blade for that).
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2024-09-06 18:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
However Dhartok seems to be rather resistant vs darkness aligned spells and if you usually have to bring threnody + frazzle 3 to make it work it's most likely going to be a resist fest.
I recall from my early Aminon adventures before the optimal buffs/debuffs were nailed down, we noticed a VERY significant difference in Absorb-TP success between the COR and the jobs with actual dark magic skill. The COR basically just couldn't land it at all. It was so bad we even had them try COR/SMN a few times to do Mewing Lullaby instead, before eventually just having them go /SAM for more damage.

Modern strategies with dark threnody and such seem to have resolved that problem, but based on those earlier experiences I think if you started to take away pieces of the puzzle then you'd run into resists pretty quickly just as we did.

Granted, that's Aminon and not Dhartok...
By Taint 2024-09-09 21:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone else having issues logging in? East coast.
First Page 2 3 ... 858 859 860 861