Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 773 774 775 ... 850 851 852
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-22 16:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
I recently remember reading a "new" finding about AoE JAs (warcry, valiance, one for all etc)
We all know that these actions give you additional enmity for each pt member hit by it.

But I recently found out here on these boards that this additional enmity won't happen, UNLESS the pt members hit by it are already in the monster's enmity list somehow.
If they're not, zero additional enmity gained.

Anybody remembers where was this posted? I can't find it again.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/46016/first-and-final-line-of-defense-v20/129/#3655184
[+]
By Manque 2023-02-23 20:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone ever seen a pulse drop from Legion? I know it’s more efficient elsewhere but I’m stubborn…
By Nariont 2023-02-24 00:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean I've seen it, wouldn't call it at all common though, only the gallu and botulus drop one from what I remember, but you're just gonna end up with a ton of scrolls falling to the floor and other trash before you see a weapon
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2023-02-24 04:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
I recently remember reading a "new" finding about AoE JAs (warcry, valiance, one for all etc)
We all know that these actions give you additional enmity for each pt member hit by it.

But I recently found out here on these boards that this additional enmity won't happen, UNLESS the pt members hit by it are already in the monster's enmity list somehow.
If they're not, zero additional enmity gained.

Anybody remembers where was this posted? I can't find it again.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/46016/first-and-final-line-of-defense-v20/129/#3655184

I've known this for more than a decade and I'm pretty sure I learned it from Kaeko's original enmity work.

This is why AoE abilities are so effective in Ambuscade on pull relative to normal. So when you pull with the Qultada trust out, he'll roll when you hit the monster and pull hate because everyone defaults to being on the monster's enmity list in there. I time Mantra or Warcry for right after the first hit just so the monster doesn't run around. Also, frequently I aggro monsters in Ambuscade to start the fight, which means there's no first-action enmity bonus.

Somewhere like Odyssey, he never pulls hate because he's getting 1/6 the enmity for that first roll/ double-up.

idk exactly where he first showed it, but the concept "you can't get hate by acting on someone that isn't on the hate list" is already present in 18A here:
https://kanican.livejournal.com/14633.html
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-02-24 04:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I've known this for more than a decade and I'm pretty sure I learned it from Kaeko's original enmity work.
Hmmm. I've combed through Kaeko's blog many times over the years, but I can't recall every seeing anything on this. Perhaps I missed it. Or it covered actions on target not on the hatelist not giving enmity, and I failed to extend that to AoE's...

So, yeah, it was a surprise to me when I figured out it wasn't crediting for all targets hit unless they were on the hatelist. <,<;

It makes good sense. It's just not something I'd considered.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2023-02-24 06:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, so you thought that using an AoE action on yourself and hitting other people was different than using a single target action on other people. I had always assumed it would be handled the same so it never occurred to me that it might be different.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-02-24 13:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like common sense to me. If you cure someone who's not on the hate list, you don't get hate for that cure. You're not getting hate multiplied by the number of people, each action is being individually evaluated for hate. Buff action on someone who isn't on hate list = no hate created.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-24 13:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always had the opinion that it shouldn't matter either way.

Ability should give X no matter how many people it hits, except aoe cures.

***like Lamient giving x6 enmity is just stupid. It's lazy.

There shouldn't be multiple states of how much enmity a rampart gives based on party size and party actions. You used it, that's the singular state of use.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-02-24 13:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If I see you do something that increases the chance of my death by making yourself stronger, I prioritize you a bit more. If I see you do the same thing for 6 enemy combatants at once, it's more of a threat to my life and that makes you more of a priority. A creature that has evolved to survive in battle has to have some ability to prioritize threats. Makes perfect sense to me.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-24 13:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

But it makes something like warcry (a specifically not used for enmity ability) possibly produce more enmity than provoke (specifically used for enmity).

320*6 vs 1800 (maybe 320*5 I'm not sure, you know what I mean)

And when you add in +100 enmity or whatever, warcry gets another 600% increase, provoke only gets doubled.

That's dumb.
 Valefor.Matic
Server: Valefor
user: Matic
By Valefor.Matic 2023-02-24 13:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Variables and variations like this make the game more complex and add to the robustness of the world. Also I like that damage increasing abilities in this game typically have risks associated with their rewards.

To use Thorny's logic: Tank yelling at mob (voke) vs tank inspiring his entire party do more damage to mob (warcry) for x number of seconds. Which is a bigger threat if you are the mob?

But if you're coming at it from a modern game design perspective, i can see why it doesn't make sense to you. Provoke should be the ability for hate generation, and warcry should be the damage ability. It's simpler that way. Cleaner. More streamlined. And imo less fun and less immersive.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-02-24 13:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

But also remember things like songs were specifically nerfed for enmity because that's not how they see it.

Tank is the tank because it has tank tools. Bard isn't allowed to tank even though that "should" be the primary threat.

(if you weren't around, bard used to tank back in 2006(ish) because songs gave 600% enmity on top of being high base enmity and were altered)
Also, they reduced enmity on poison and sleep and stun etc etc because again, they're not "supposed to be" tank tools.

((Going to see run/whm spamming barfira cause it hits all 6 people for 300 VE per target with zero second cast/recast))
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-02-25 00:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

What are people's preferred atma sets for doing Relic/Mythic/Magian WS killshot trials in Abyssea?

I currently have the following set:
Voracious Violet (STR+ Superior, DA+ Major, Regain Minor)
Would-Be-King: (Regain Minor, Conserve TP+ Minor, TP Bonus+ Minor)
Apocalypse: (TA+ Superior, Quick Magic, Auto-RR)
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-02-25 01:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If were talking "biggest threat to my survival" then the healer's the biggest threat. If you beat someone to near-death over and over and over and over but cant actually finish the job because someone just magically erases all their wounds like nothing happened, thats the biggest threat.

But the game would be pretty terrible if healers capped enmity within 30 seconds.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2023-02-25 23:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
What are people's preferred atma sets for doing Relic/Mythic/Magian WS killshot trials in Abyssea?

Assuming you're not doing something like Burtgang where 1k TP doesn't instantly oneshot any mob, I use Apocalypse, Alpha & Omega, and Plaguebringer for maximum TP speed. Maybe Lion would beat Plaguebringer for TP speed, never bothered mathing it out.

If you're doing Burtgang you probably want Razed Ruin in there so you can bring the mob's HP into kill range with white damage faster.
By zithro 2023-02-27 09:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone learned blu magic in sortie?
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2023-02-27 09:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Manque said: »
Has anyone ever seen a pulse drop from Legion? I know it’s more efficient elsewhere but I’m stubborn…
Yes.
[+]
By alamihgo 2023-02-27 14:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Stayfresh said: »
Got rid of that awful lag from those buffs going up and down. So far so good, what I removed from gearswap seems to be working.
Are you saying the dramatic timestop from a full dispel isn't a feature? Tell me more about this.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-02-27 14:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »

I used to fret over such things, and worry I was gimping myself with a less-than-ideal atma setup.

Then a good friend pointed out I probably had close to 200million cruor, and nothing to use them on, and cheapo brews. Cut most of my trial experiences in half time-wise, and I'm still well over 170million cruor.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Bynebill
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bynebill 2023-03-03 03:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the term filter live yet?

I see in the instructions that to enable it you should have an option in "Misc. 4" under software keyboard option, however no option exists in my game.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-03-03 06:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really sure how it can just not be there. Unless you used an old XIView file.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-03-03 06:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

How hard are the +15 skill torques to get from Escha zones? I'm a complete nubcake when it comes to anything beyond Adoulin overworld zones.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-03-03 06:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

NMs are ~1/50 pop rate, with of each of the vorseals reducing 3 from denominator, if wiki is to be trusted. So, with full vorseals, you get a pop about every 17 kills. Droprate is somewhere around 1/8 with TH. Pretty reasonable to farm individual ones, most are soloable by any solo orientated job with trusts.

Tedious, but not insane. Definitely worth getting as many rare enemy vorseals as possible first if trying to target multiple NMs.
[+]
 Asura.Shaedhen
user: Shadowwww
By Asura.Shaedhen 2023-03-03 07:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

About the vorseals that increases the rate at which they pop, is it know how that works when multiple characters in party have a different amount of vorseals ? Does it takes the higher rate into account ? The lowest one ? The one of the char that does the killing blow ?

When I farmed them a while ago with my main who got almost all vorseals + an alt who barely had any, I had the feeling the pop rate was really bad compared to when I did with just my main. But maybe it was just randomness or a false feeling.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-03-03 07:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I would think it's whoever the mob pops claimed to(I'm not sure if that is original claimer of the PH like how abyssea KIs are distributed or killshot?), but I don't know that anyone's actually tested it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2023-03-03 09:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

JPs claim that Mollifier is based on who the monster has hate on when it dies, and I would bet Rare Enemy vorseals are the same. So if it aggroed your mule and you oneshot it with a WS, the mule's Mollifier / Rare Enemy vorseals would count.
[+]
 Asura.Shaedhen
user: Shadowwww
By Asura.Shaedhen 2023-03-03 10:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, thanks. Would make sense as there was, indeed, a lot of oneshot ws happening. I'll make sure it's my main who get aggro next time.
First Page 2 3 ... 773 774 775 ... 850 851 852