Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 167 168 169 ... 861 862 863
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-24 13:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Odin.Eikechi said: »
Are the Blood Greaves really worth getting for the +5 blu skill? Is that a good piece for physical casting at this point, or is it simply for a lil more magic barrier dmg?

I'm fairly sure it's only for 500 skill. "Maybe" usable with some spells if you hit a tier and have the random pool bless you with a +4 STR and I'm not too sure on that either but... Worth it? Not really, that could be an absolute ton of effort and the gains are marginal at best for the 500 skill and probably not better for any physical casting either. You're better off putting effort elsewhere.

I think a fluke 4 str would rip on them actually. My physical shoes atm are medari brogues with 5 STR. I'm honestly not sure what shoes to use. I have a lot of options.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-03-25 05:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

When chosing skillup food should I account merits or base skill?
 Cerberus.Keyoku
Server: Cerberus
user: Keyoku
By Cerberus.Keyoku 2013-03-25 06:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I always went with base skill.
I personally only ever really used Magic Skill Up food for SCH where Light/Dark Arts puts you way beyond your actual skill and using food for the lower base skill always worked very well. I never tried using the food for merit/Dark/Light Arts skill so I could be wrong, but I don't think that I am.

Hope that helps you.
 Phoenix.Quince
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Quince 2013-03-25 07:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello, im kinda new to spellcast and i was wondering is there a way so if a spell is still on recast timer, but you hit macro for it to make it put you back in idle gear?
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-03-25 07:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of Spellcast, is there a guide anywhere on how to get started? I want to try it out but I don't have a clue where to start in regard to xml's and stuff.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-03-25 08:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Quince said: »
Hello, im kinda new to spellcast and i was wondering is there a way so if a spell is still on recast timer, but you hit macro for it to make it put you back in idle gear?

Short answer is no. There is not really a practical way and certainly wouldn't be worth all the hassle and possible mistakes the system would make since there are things spellcast can't see or account for. An easier way would be if you accidentally hit a macro to simply have an Idle macro that would run your rules and put you back in the proper set like idle gear or tp gear.

Edit: I should note that it may be possible to make something with the new Lua but that's a thing for the future for now.

Asura.Calatilla said: »
Speaking of Spellcast, is there a guide anywhere on how to get started? I want to try it out but I don't have a clue where to start in regard to xml's and stuff.
I've seen a few resources in the past and if I can find any I'll post them but I don't recall any of them being exceptionally nice for teaching you how to write good xmls but they may help in getting things first set up and at least functional. The best way is to look through the lists of variables and rules and then just hop in and start looking at people's xmls and see what does what and also read a few XML help threads. By seeing what mistakes people are making, you can learn a lot about what to do and what not to do.

If you have a question about something in particular you can post here or in one of many other places like BG's thread.
 Phoenix.Quince
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Quince 2013-03-25 08:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleh, ok. Thanks for the quick response :)
 Cerberus.Keyoku
Server: Cerberus
user: Keyoku
By Cerberus.Keyoku 2013-03-25 09:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm considering getting the Ultimate Collection but was wondering what the installation process for that would look like. I already have all previous add ons and expansions - would I have to basically reinstall everything or would I be able to simply install Seekers of Adoulin? Hoping some ppl on here got the Ultimate Abyssea addition and can shed some light on this based on how that worked.
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-03-25 10:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Is +5 blue skill better for cures than 7 MND? I'm thinking Relic head vs Chelona Hat. Don't have the AMK hat since it's currently tied to my mages.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-03-25 10:06:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Is +5 blue skill better for cures than 7 MND? I'm thinking Relic head vs Chelona Hat. Don't have the AMK hat since it's currently tied to my mages.
Blue magic skill doesn't affect Blu cures, healing magic skill does.

And 1 Mnd ~ 5 skill
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-03-25 10:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, I knew healing skill did, couldn't remember if blue skill had any effect. Oh well, I`ll stick with Chelona for now then, thanks.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-03-25 10:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said: »
Blue magic skill doesn't affect Blu cures, healing magic skill does.

And 1 Mnd ~ 5 skill

it should be noted that blu cures still follow the old formulas, unfortunately.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-03-25 12:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

kind of a nub question, but how does Anhur Robe fare as far as usage for WHM, BLM or BRD? I usually only see it benefitting RDM, SCH and SMN.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2013-03-25 12:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzacoatl said: »
kind of a nub question, but how does Anhur Robe fare as far as usage for WHM, BLM or BRD? I usually only see it benefitting RDM, SCH and SMN.

In terms of WHM, still best in slot Enhancing Magic (tied with manasa chasuble) and second highest Fast Cast piece they can wear (highest being Marduk's jubbah +1). If you got it, use it, but can be replaced down the line withe above pieces of gear if you have them (or just want to carry a single item versus the two listed).
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-03-25 12:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a great fast cast piece to have for any job, especially if it's on your mule. There are a couple upgrades you can get, but mine don't ever leave my inventories.

Onto my question(kinda tech related, sorry if wrong area), I've heard SSD lifespans are drastically reduced if you write to them too frequently. My first one crapped out recently, less than a year old. I monitor hardware temperatures and do semi-regular dusting. I've since replaced it. However, I had my windower folder on the old SSD. In retrospect, I'm questioning whether it was particularly wise to have 8 characters writing logger files to it. Could anyone who's more knowledgable about the technology give me some information there? For the time being, I put my windower folder on another drive.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-25 12:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »

In terms of WHM, still best in slot Enhancing Magic (tied with manasa chasuble) and second highest Fast Cast piece they can wear (highest being Marduk's jubbah +1). If you got it, use it, but can be replaced down the line withe above pieces of gear if you have them (or just want to carry a single item versus the two listed).

Also it should be noted the FC on marduk body+1 is only 1% more.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-03-25 12:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Anhur isn't terribly useful for brd's songs as you have other options for that, if you cast any other spells it is. I have 2 fastcast bodies on brd. One for songs and one for normal spells. Though if you are capped on song casting time you could save some space by using a FC piece in some slots instead.

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Onto my question(kinda tech related, sorry if wrong area), I've heard SSD lifespans are drastically reduced if you write to them too frequently. My first one crapped out recently, less than a year old. I monitor hardware temperatures and do semi-regular dusting. I've since replaced it. However, I had my windower folder on the old SSD. In retrospect, I'm questioning whether it was particularly wise to have 8 characters writing logger files to it. Could anyone who's more knowledgable about the technology give me some information there? For the time being, I put my windower folder on another drive.

You just need to change the install location during install. It may require you to uninstall first but I've not tested this so I'm not sure. But during the install you should see a screen like this:

So if you have another drive, say drive F and you want to put it on there just browse to the location and select it. This is for windower 4 but it should be very similar in other versions too.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-03-25 12:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah think I would rather get Marduk's +1 honestly. I'll have to get Salvage access for my WHM/BLM/BRD alt at some point for it
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-25 12:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah think I would rather get Marduk's +1 honestly. I'll have to get Salvage access for my WHM/BLM/BRD alt at some point for it

You'd still need a second body for enhancing skill. The anhur is a really good all around piece, despite it not having refresh.
 Siren.Mosin
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-03-25 12:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

besieged is taking forever....

anyone know of a quick way to snag some imperial standing outside of that?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-03-25 12:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
You just need to change the install location during install. It may require you to uninstall first but I've not tested this so I'm not sure. But during the install you should see a screen like this:
So if you have another drive, say drive F and you want to put it on there just browse to the location and select it. This is for windower 4 but it should be very similar in other versions too.
Sorry, think you missed the question.

I'm asking if keeping windower on my solid state drive will have a negative impact on it's lifespan, due to the early death of my last drive. This concern is caused by the fact that I regularly log on 8(or more) characters and keep logger running fulltime, presumably resulting in a very large number of writes.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-03-25 13:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

If you kill an archaic mirror in mamook/arrapago/halvung and take the mirror it drops(100%?) to a NPC, you get 1000 IS. I'm not sure if this is repeatable, but you can do the nearest mamook one in a matter of 10 minutes counting travel using voidwatch warp. They seem to have a decently long respawn time(4h?).
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-25 13:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

If you kill an archaic mirror in mamook/arrapago/halvung and take the mirror it drops(100%?) to a NPC, you get 1000 IS. I'm not sure if this is repeatable, but you can do the nearest mamook one in a matter of 10 minutes counting travel using voidwatch warp. They seem to have a decently long respawn time(4h?).

definitely endlessly repeatable.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-03-25 13:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

duelist's tabard +2 says hi.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-03-25 13:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

definitely endlessly repeatable.
Good to know, I was thinking it had a conquest tally cooldown for some reason.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-03-25 14:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd still need a second body for enhancing skill. The anhur is a really good all around piece, despite it not having refresh.
Heh, guess I'll have to aim for that then (again). x.x

Odin.Jassik said: »

duelist's tabard +2 says hi.
what about elemental skill+ though? Unless I go with Morrigan's +1 I guess, with Duelist's for precast.
 Siren.Mosin
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-03-25 14:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

besieged is taking forever.... anyone know of a quick way to snag some imperial standing outside of that?

good call, I'll hit that up instead of waiting around like a tool.

thanks.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-03-25 14:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, think you missed the question.

I'm asking if keeping windower on my solid state drive will have a negative impact on it's lifespan, due to the early death of my last drive. This concern is caused by the fact that I regularly log on 8(or more) characters and keep logger running fulltime, presumably resulting in a very large number of writes.

If those writes are being written to the same bits over and over and over then yes, if they are being written to different ones then no. I can't say for sure but logically, it isn't going in and rewriting anything as each write session is "permanent" as the logger info doesn't change, it just is adding more to it each time and each logger file is separate so there aren't multiple logger plugins accessing and saving the same parts. Each one would write in sequence and thus would avoid the issue of constant little rewrites which is the issue with SSD as it has a limited lifetime.

Even with 8 sessions, the amount of data being written isn't* a huge deal compared to the on goings of stuff like Page file temps and other OS related crap which wasn't really designed with SSD's in mind but rather to conserve ram by utilizing diskspace. So if you haven't already, you may look in to that to extend the life of your drive.

But I don't really think that windower is not going to see a large improvement from being on the SSD drive anyway so you may as well keep it off it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-03-25 14:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I adjusted the page file and confirmed TRIM when I first got it, guess it was just bad luck. Appreciate the explanation, thank you.
First Page 2 3 ... 167 168 169 ... 861 862 863